Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dead Tree vs PDF
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
bibliophile20
QUOTE (DTFarstar)
QUOTE (Tommy Gunner @ Jan 15 2006, 10:08 PM)
As the resident Bibliophile, I have to go with the "Dead Tree" option. Because I've noticed I can reference through material much faster with a book/hard copy than I can through most PDFs. Even the ones with bookmarks.

And here I thought that bibliophile2.0 was the resident biblionphile around here. Did he move or something?

Chris

Nope, I haven't moved, I've just been moping for the last day or so; a failing grade on a major exam has that sort of effect on me.
DTFarstar
Ew, ouch, sorry man.

Chris
crash2029
I vote hardcopy& PDF. I love books, but it is useful to have the PDF because when I'm working on the computer and the book is in the other room I don't have to interrupt my thought train. Also, at the gaming table, or between sessions, one person can reference the book while the other references the ebook. Still, convenience aside, I would prefer to have the physical book everything. Heck, without convenience aside I would still prefer the hardcopy. I just get the PDF when it is feasible or required [out of print].

Tangentially, what is a splatbook?
ThreeGee
I vote for hardcopy, easier to use I find. I also really object to being asked to pay for the pdf separately, so I don't.
walkir
Both.

English PDF and german hardcopy.
Fuchs
QUOTE (crash2029)
Tangentially, what is a splatbook?

I first heard the term "Splatbooks" in relation to the optional additional rulebooks released for different classes in D&D. As far as I know, "Splatbooks" are optional rules released in addition to "core rules", related to classes and such, not settings/background, but I am not sure.
Grinder
QUOTE (walkir)

Really? Crappy translated stuff like the SOTA-books or the SR4 BBB? I prefer the english versions.
X-Kalibur
I voted hardcopy myself, I love the weight and feel of a nice book. I happen to have some PDF copies but I use them for reference at work where its difficult to have a book out and work at the same time.

Also, I thought splatbooks were those paperback books that contained expanded rules or settings information. If I had to guess I imagine the name came from the nice splat sound they make when you drop them on a table.
walkir
QUOTE (Grinder @ Nov 29 2007, 08:48 AM)
QUOTE (walkir @ Nov 29 2007, 01:55 PM)

Really? Crappy translated stuff like the SOTA-books or the SR4 BBB? I prefer the english versions.

Yes.

German books are good for playing (except that critical glitch of BBB), because they expand the setting (I do like the AGS. I just don't really care about consistency this much. wink.gif I just miss page count for the Rhine-Ruhr-Metroplex) and include stuff from the BBB.

English books are a good tool to reference rules, check translations, get the stuff before it's translated, get the newest errata... Plus, they are dirtcheap if you can pay them with Euros.

So, the best of both worlds.
crash2029
Thank you both for the edification.
Sir_Psycho
I seem to be the minority here finding it easier to reference and run rules on my PC. I have acrobat reader open, running Cannon Companion, the SR3 BBB, Man and Machine, Magic in the Shadows, The Ultimate Shadowrun Equipment List, The SR Companion, The GM Screen at once. I can easily switch pdf's with the Window tab. With OEF copies, I can just CTRL + F any words I like, such as "Damage and Healing", and if not, I just click on the contents and CTRL + N and then tap in the page number.

I also have several word docs with NPC files, photoshop layered maps, google sketchup 3D diagrams (that I prepared earlier) a calculator and mood music running.

I find that constantly rifling through hardcopies results in spine wear and tear (and at the exorbitant prices, it scars the soul to see). It's nice for reading in bed, but I started using PDF's and am not going back on a pure gaming point of view.

The downside of course is the constant temptation to go wildly illegal.
TBRMInsanity
I like both Paper and PDF.

PDF:
Quick to find something I need (you can't run a search on paper... yet)

Paper:
Makes a good common sense indicator ork.gif (you can't smack someone over the back of the head with a PDF)

I think that it is vital for SR to continue to be published in both Paper and PDF format. They should look into PDF bundle packages though (the main source book + the basic equipment books, together as a bundle for a reduced price).
imperialus
I like having both. For a straight read through though I prefer dead trees. Especially with gaming books where the text is arranged in columns it's annoying to constantly be scrolling up and down to read something. To look stuff up fast or for rules referances while creating a character I love PDF's.
apollo124
I haven't got myself a laptop yet, and my SR4 pdf is a little hard to read on my Tungsten E2 (and don't think I haven't tried!), so I had to vote for dead tree. Besides, it's a little awkward to take a computer with you when you go read on the can.

But, if I had a laptop, and a group to play with, pdf's would seriously rock, and I would have had to vote for both. After I've read through the books enough I can usually turn to or near enough to the page needed for whatever rule at will with the paper book, so the search function probably wouldn't do me much good.
TBRMInsanity
You guys should check out the new Amazon Kindle. It allows you to view PDFs in a semi-book format. If my finances allow for it, I'm picking one up.
Blade
@apollo: if you want to read your pdf on your Tungsten you could be interested by SR4Light. You can find it in the Community Project. You can use it to convert your pdf into small html files (one file per page) with a simple and efficient navigation system while keeping the layout of each page.

I don't know how it'll perform on a Tungsten, but on my Zodiac it's perfect! It is much faster than the PDF viewer, and one column fits in the screen (in landscape mode). I read my copy of Augmentation in the bus thanks to this, and except for some bugs at the beginning of each chapter, I didn't have any trouble.

And I can use it to look up references at work! wink.gif
Adam
QUOTE (TBRMInsanity)
You guys should check out the new Amazon Kindle. It allows you to view PDFs in a semi-book format. If my finances allow for it, I'm picking one up.

The Kindle does not browse PDFs.
apollo124
Thanks for the info, Blade. Unfortunately, the Tungsten can't read HTML, but I appreciate the thought. I can read the PDF on my Palm, but not with the Adobe Reader for Palm program. Documents to Go version 8.0 or later has PDF support and does much better.

TBRMInsanity, if I could afford $400 for a Kindle, I think I would buy me a cheap laptop that can pretty much do everything my desktop does.
TBRMInsanity
QUOTE (Adam)
QUOTE (TBRMInsanity @ Dec 4 2007, 08:25 AM)
You guys should check out the new Amazon Kindle.  It allows you to view PDFs in a semi-book format.  If my finances allow for it, I'm picking one up.

The Kindle does not browse PDFs.

You should look over the specs again. I'm pretty sure it does.
TBRMInsanity
QUOTE (apollo124)
Thanks for the info, Blade. Unfortunately, the Tungsten can't read HTML, but I appreciate the thought. I can read the PDF on my Palm, but not with the Adobe Reader for Palm program. Documents to Go version 8.0 or later has PDF support and does much better.

TBRMInsanity, if I could afford $400 for a Kindle, I think I would buy me a cheap laptop that can pretty much do everything my desktop does.

I suppose, it is not for everyone.
eidolon
You guys got me curious, so I checked it out:
QUOTE (Amazon.com)
PDF conversion is experimental. The experimental category represents the features we are working on to enhance the Kindle experience even further. You can email your PDFs wirelessly to your Kindle. Due to PDF’s fixed layout format, some complex PDF files might not format correctly on your Kindle.
Blade
apollo124 : Don't you have a web browser on your Tungsten? My Zodiac runs PalmOS too and it does have a web browser and I think there are some free web browser available...
All you need is a browser that accepts to open html files stored on the device.
TBRMInsanity
QUOTE (Blade)
apollo124 : Don't you have a web browser on your Tungsten? My Zodiac runs PalmOS too and it does have a web browser and I think there are some free web browser available...
All you need is a browser that accepts to open html files stored on the device.

The best Palm based browser I have seen so far is Opera. But there are others that are good as well (AvantGo, and there is Palms official browser (I think it is called Plucker or something like that)).
apollo124
I think it did have some kind of browser, but since I don't have a wireless connection, I deleted it.

We now return you to your hijacked thread, already in progress.

Ottergame
Hard copy is the only way to go.

But, my hard copy is starting to come free from the spine. I've tried using super glue to keep it together, but it's only a matter of time. frown.gif
Whipstitch
Luddites, all of you. Your talk of books as living things to be cherished frightens and confuses me, and I own hundreds of the damned things. You know what all those books have in common? They hurt my back.

Downloaded, carefully bookmarked and backed up pdfs ftw. Crossreferencing is pretty easy if you know adobe well enough and even if you don't it's pretty easy to just copy pertinent bits to wordpad and crossreference that way.
Connor
I have to vote PDF all the way. Especially with Skim to view/annotate/etc. It makes it easy to lookup house-rules we're using along with the RAW.

And since I always have my laptop with me anyway, it's nice to not need to carry anything else around.
Trillinon
I'm a fan of having both. In fact, ever since the D&D Player's Handbook shipped with a CD eight years ago (sure it only had a lame character generator on it), I've felt that every gaming book should come with a PDF copy. I've never been satisfied with the idea of paying of the same material again just to have it digitally.
TBRMInsanity
QUOTE (Connor)
I have to vote PDF all the way. Especially with Skim to view/annotate/etc. It makes it easy to lookup house-rules we're using along with the RAW.

And since I always have my laptop with me anyway, it's nice to not need to carry anything else around.

Is there a similar program for Linux or Windows?
Stahlseele
Book because you can hit people with them . . PDF because it's convinient to be able to do a search for one word you remember being in the text you're looking for *g*
sloejack
QUOTE (Trillinon)
I'm a fan of having both. In fact, ever since the D&D Player's Handbook shipped with a CD eight years ago (sure it only had a lame character generator on it), I've felt that every gaming book should come with a PDF copy. I've never been satisfied with the idea of paying of the same material again just to have it digitally.

Holy cow, was that 8 years ago? In general I'm a fan of PDFs primarily because it can carry more books around with me without breaking my back. For the record I own one hard copy of the core rules, and then a PDF of the same plus all the additional material released for 4th ed thus far
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012