Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Area affect spells too big?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Kleaner
I'm thinking that one meter radius per force point is too much, and should be more akin to one meter diameter per force point...

Lets take an extreme but doable example....

A good mage with sorcery of 6, magic rating of 6, and lets say 6 other bonus dice from various other sources (power foci, totems, spirits) decides to cast a 12 force stun ball.

This ball has a radius of 12 meters, for a diameter of 24 meters. He has 18 dice to cast and decides to withold 8 dice to make the ball have a 20 meter radius. That's a 40 meter diameter.

Which is roughly a 8-9 story building about as wide as a baseball diamond, and he'd still have 10 dice left to pull it off. eek.gif

Anyone think this is a bit much?
Dashifen
Yes, that's a bit much, but if someone's hauling out that type of firepower, it better be big. Especially considering that, as a magic user, their Body may be lower and, thus, if they screw the drain roll they could be nigh on to dead. The threat of physical wounds has been enough to limit overcasting craziness so far in my games, though that may not be the case for others.
Azralon
QUOTE (Kleaner @ Feb 2 2006, 03:47 PM)
A good mage with sorcery of 6, magic rating of 6, and lets say 6 other bonus dice from various other sources (power foci, totems, spirits) decides to cast a 12 force stun ball.

<snip>

Well, I wouldn't just call him just "good." He's world-class, by merit of skill alone, and has some kickass bonuses from somewhere.

Oh yeah, and as Dash pointed out: Have fun soaking that drain. Ouchie, even for Mr. Best-of-the-Rest there.
TinkerGnome
To be fair, he should have a specialization for another 2 dice. I mean, at that point, he's a world class combat mage.

At that point, however, there are some serious LOS issues. Sure, he can pop off a riot control stunball to end all stunballs at the risk of his own life, but how often is that useful to shadowrunners? It only hits those he can see that well.

Here's a question I don't know the answer to. How do you handle casting an AOE spell against opponents with multiple degrees of visibility?
Serbitar
answer:

SHP 1.4

(Section about pool reduction)
TinkerGnome
QUOTE (Serbitar)
answer:

SHP 1.4

(Section about pool reduction)

That solution actually makes me shudder. I'd rather figure out what the various levels of dice are and then roll them in batches.

Ie, I'm throwing a stunball into a room with three guards. One is in the open, one has good cover, one has partial cover. I've got 10 dice for my roll. I roll a batch of 6 and then two batches of 2. The one in the open is affected by all the successes, the partial cover is affected by the first eight, and the other guy only by the batch of 6.
Raizer
I've brought up the AOE spellcasting problem up on another thread. I too have decided to do it by adding visibility modifiers to the resistance test. It made the most sense and seems to fit well with the system.
Butterblume
QUOTE (TinkerGnome)
Ie, I'm throwing a stunball into a room with three guards.  One is in the open, one has good cover, one has partial cover.  I've got 10 dice for my roll.  I roll a batch of 6 and then two batches of 2.

Try using different colored dice or something like that. It's still one dice roll, and if you always use the same colors for good, partial and no cover, it's kind of a no brainer wink.gif.

So, in your example, that could be 6 white dice for good cover, plus the two red dice for partial cover, and the two red and two blue ones for no cover.

FrankTrollman
I... just give characters bonus resistance dice when the pool would be reduced against them specifically. It saves a lot of time and heartache.

-Frank
Serbitar
Thats exactly what I am proposing. But Im going further and do so even when testing against nothing (or the game world). Like a perception test. My gamers always roll their full pool, and I roll against it with the modifiers, so they never know how easy or hard it was to detect something if they didnt detect it.
Butterblume
Which isn't always a good idea and in most cases more time consuming then rolling the different colored dice wink.gif.
TinkerGnome
I don't think you get the same probability curves out of the two methods, either. The short simulation I ran had odd things like the chance for a character to have negative successes or more successes than he should have had dice.
Serbitar
Negative hits are 0 hits. You cant get more hits than dice with this method.

Statistically rolling

A) 6 dice instead of 10
and
B) 10 dice and rolling 4 against

is slightly better for the latter one, because of the 0 round effect. If there were negative hits, the outcome would be exactly the same, but as negative hits are rounded to 0, the mean is slightly higher.
TinkerGnome
No, you can get more hits than you should have had dice. Say you have 10 dice for your test and a 3 die penalty.

7 dice = max 7 hits
10 dice - 3 dice = max 10 hits
Serbitar
Ah ok, thats what you mean.

Thats exactly the ammount that would statistically cancel out with the negative hits. If you want to fix this: Round down to the maximum number that "could" be achieved, just like you round negative hits to 0. Then the statistic outcome of both methods is exactly the same.

But those occasions (both negative and too many hits) are quite rare, so I dont care much about it.
stevebugge
Another way to put that disgusting force 12 spell in to perspective:

A regulation NBA Court is approximately 29 Meters Long by 15 Meters Wide, the force 12 spell would cover almost the entire length of the court, and several rows in to the stands at Mid-Court if the spell were cast on the center of the court, and it would stretch to a high point somewhere over the top of the hanging scoreboard found in most arenas.

This is assuming the caster did nothing to adjust the size of the spell.
hobgoblin
im guessing the real issue here is the ability to do this out of char gen. a SR3 char would need to get hold of a force 12 spell first. not something he can do in char gen.

basicly, you would see similar AOE spells in SR3, in theory. only they would be much later in the game, if anyone botherd to learn that strong a spell.

now, doing that with a combat spell isnt that big a issue. doing it with a elemental spell, thats something else (that is, if the elemental maniputaltion spells still exist in SR4). that way you can burn down a building with a single spell more or less...

two versions where they try to cut back on the power of magic, and now this. i realy do wonder...
FrankTrollman
I'm really not sure what the big deal is. You can get Commercial Explosives right out of chargen, and burn down a whole building without sticking yourself with a crap tonne of physical drain in the process.

The ability to blast everything in a 12m radius sounds big, and in the context of whatever room you happen to be in I'm sure it's huge. But on a battlefield or city-wide scale, it just doesn't rate mentioning.

-Frank
Brahm
QUOTE (Kleaner @ Feb 2 2006, 02:47 PM)
I'm thinking that one meter radius per force point is too much, and should be more akin to one meter diameter per force point...

Lets take an extreme but doable  example....

This ball has a radius of 12 meters, for a diameter of 24 meters. He has 18 dice to cast and decides to withold 8 dice to make the ball have a 20 meter radius. That's a 40 meter diameter. 

Which is roughly a 8-9 story building about as wide as a baseball diamond, and he'd still have 10 dice left to pull it off.  eek.gif

To push it out that extra distance he just turned it from BBQ of death to feasibily survivable. Especially for anyone protected by Counterspelling.

On the other hand laying down a fireball that covers the better part of 1/2 a football field does seem excessive. The problem with the visual is about the force getting cubed to result in the volume. So what is range again? That whole thing fits in his magic range, right? I forget where that formula is.
FrankTrollman
So what is range again?

LOS for most offensive magic.

-Frank
Kleaner
QUOTE (FrankTrollman @ Feb 2 2006, 09:45 PM)
I'm really not sure what the big deal is. You can get Commercial Explosives right out of chargen, and burn down a whole building without sticking yourself with a crap tonne of physical drain in the process.

The ability to blast everything in a 12m radius sounds big, and in the context of whatever room you happen to be in I'm sure it's huge. But on a battlefield or city-wide scale, it just doesn't rate mentioning.

-Frank

To blow up a building you'd need a u-haul filled with explosives, and drive it up to the building. A mage could do it naked. While you could get both of them as a starting character, which would be easier to do?

But regardless lets tone down the spell and say it's force 6. That's still a 12m diameter. That's a ball 35 feet wide or so. I live in a 4 bedroom two story house. It's about 2000 square feet. A 35X35' ball would engulf my house and part of the yard around it, as well as some of the airspace above it.

Slinging around force 6 spells is no big deal for starting characters, a mage could do it all day.

I think that when they decided to make everything metric, they just really didn't consider real world distances.

As a lot of runs happen indoors, the area the spells can hit seems a bit much.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Kleaner)
To blow up a building you'd need a u-haul filled with explosives, and drive it up to the building.

while that would do so by sheer force, it would be much simpler to take a look at the blueprints of said building and find the main support pillars. more surgical but requires less explosives...

hell, that oklahoma bombing may have left the building standing if it was not for the proximity to a support pillar.

knowing a bit about what makes building stand up makes the job of knocking them back down so much easyer smokin.gif
Azralon
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
knowing a bit about what makes building stand up makes the job of knocking them back down so much easyer

Hence, the Demolitions skill.
stevebugge
QUOTE (Kleaner)
But regardless lets tone down the spell and say it's force 6. That's still a 12m diameter. That's a ball 35 feet wide or so. I live in a 4 bedroom two story house. It's about 2000 square feet. A 35X35' ball would engulf my house and part of the yard around it, as well as some of the airspace above it.

Slinging around force 6 spells is no big deal for starting characters, a mage could do it all day.

I think that when they decided to make everything metric, they just really didn't consider real world distances.

Since I'm a colossal geek I made a spreadsheet for this the other day.

Force 6 Area effects spell, no alterations to size through dice pool:

Radius 6 Meters or 19.68 feet

Diameter 12 Meters or 39.36 feet, Kleaner is correct in pointing out that many city lots are only around 40' wide

Area at 'equator' 113.04 Square Meters or 1216.13 Square Feet, which exceeds the size of every apartment I've ever been in.

Volume of sphere 904.32 Cubic Meters or 31911 Cubic Feet, this is equivalent to 27 20' Shipping Containers

Dashifen
QUOTE (Kleaner)

Exactly, which is why most of the time a character is going to look for a precision hit with stun/mana/power -bolt rather than -ball. If you run the risk of injuring your comrades and perhaps dropping the building around you with a force 6 powerball, that seems like a good reason not to cast it. Same goes for toxic waves, fireballs, etc.

Hopefully, players who take such spells, as one of my has, also recoginze that their sheer destructive power is what actually limits their usefullness. In order to target them precisely you need to (a) remove dice from your pool to redice the radius of higher force spells or (b) cast the spell at a lower force. Between you and me, a force 1 powerball may not be that bad to deal with and the mage may lose enough dice reducing a force 4 or 5 down to a 1 or 2 meter radius that it's still not that bad.

Thus, nothing beats the non-area direct combat spells in flexibility, even if the area effect ones may provide more collateral damage. Besides, F12 stunbolts are only 5 DV on the drain (ah, love the -1!!). Earn some extra dice from fetishes, foci, etc. and watch your enemies crumble. Remember: once the mage knocks them out, the sammie can go around slittling throats. Saves ammo, too! biggrin.gif
Kleaner
QUOTE (Dashifen)
Thus, nothing beats the non-area direct combat spells in flexibility, even if the area effect ones may provide more collateral damage. Besides, F12 stunbolts are only 5 DV on the drain (ah, love the -1!!). Earn some extra dice from fetishes, foci, etc. and watch your enemies crumble. Remember: once the mage knocks them out, the sammie can go around slittling throats. Saves ammo, too! biggrin.gif

Exactly, which is why I'm thinking the drain value on the stun ball spell needs to be upped, and that the radius on spells in general needs to be toned way down.

Otherwise every npc team that comes after the party is going to have to have a mage, or a sniper, or other very nasty tricks up their sleave or they are going to get walked over.

Azralon
QUOTE (Dashifen @ Feb 3 2006, 05:14 PM)
Remember:  once the mage knocks them out, the sammie can go around slittling throats.  Saves ammo, too! biggrin.gif

Yep. And Mind Probe works so much better on living targets.
Space Ghost
Stunball, manaball and powerball only affect things you can see. Thus casting it inside an apartement building would produce some really weird effects. It's not just like a bomb that goes off. It's like a grenade, except it only effects those places that you can see. Manaball is pretty clear-cut, since you just need to count the living creatures that are both in the radius and within sight. But powerball would leave a very strange pattern of destruction. Everthing you can see would be all torn up, but the carpet on the other side of the couch would be prestine white because you can't see it. Imagine your eyes are a light source. Anywhere that a shadow is cast would be saved.

At least the forensic guys would be able to tell exactly where you were standing when you cast. Probably your height, too.
Cold-Dragon
That's a clear discrimination against dwarves! wink.gif

Fortunately, there's Levitate - just go to ceiling height and have at it, lol!

But that is true, 'shadowed' area (sotospeak) would be save from the blast, although if I recall, mirrors are fair game when it comes to reflections, yes?
stevebugge
I think so, so don't stand in front of a mirror and cast powerball wink.gif
Azralon
Yes, mirrors let you bounce your LOS. That's why little pocket periscopes should be in every mage's inventory.
hobgoblin
notworthy.gif

hmm, i think we need a smiley that covers the term groantastic silly.gif
Darkness
QUOTE (Space Ghost)
Stunball, manaball and powerball only affect things you can see.

AFAIK, that goes for every area spell, even fireball and the rest, because the restriction on visible targets for area spells (p. 173, Area Spells) isn't put out of effect for indirect combat spells.
A fireball only creates fire in the visible area, not behind cover, not around corners, only where the mage can see.
Serbitar
Not very logic.

BTW: There is an SR3 remant in the description of changing radius of spells. Of course, withholding dice from the spellcasting test doesnt affect drain, as there is no spellpool anymore.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Darkness)
QUOTE (Space Ghost @ Feb 3 2006, 11:18 PM)
Stunball, manaball and powerball only affect things you can see.

AFAIK, that goes for every area spell, even fireball and the rest, because the restriction on visible targets for area spells (p. 173, Area Spells) isn't put out of effect for indirect combat spells.
A fireball only creates fire in the visible area, not behind cover, not around corners, only where the mage can see.

as in, the text in the book do specificaly say that a fireball works like a grenade rather then a normal area spell? if so, then its a big departure from the older versions...
Darkness
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Feb 4 2006, 04:36 PM)
as in, the text in the book do specificaly say that a fireball works like a grenade rather then a normal area spell? if so, then its a big departure from the older versions...

Where in the book does it say, it works like a grenade?
Page 196, Indirect Combat Spells does only say what the mage has to roll to hit, and that a target can evade by using Reaction (+ any Doge variant), thats a ranged attack.
The descriptions of the different spells are equivalent so let's look specifically at a fireball:
QUOTE (SR4 @ p.197, Flamethrower, Fireball)

These spells create an explosion of flames that lash into existence and scorch the target(s). These spells deal Fire damage (see p. 155). These flames burn out after striking the target, but their secondary effects may ignite flammable materials that will continue to burn after the spell is exhausted.
Flamethrower is a single target spell, while Fireball is an area spell.

I agree that "create an explosion" can give the impression of an actuall explosion, but the "lash into existance" part says to me, that this explosion is "merely" a flash of fire. Flames that suddenly come into existance in the target area.
Nowhere it says, that the rules for explosives are used. If that where the case, the chunky salsa effect would be valid too.
The last sentence says "Fireball is an area spell".

Under Range (p. 195) it says "Other spells affect all valid targets within an area, defined as a circle with a radius equal to the caster's Magic in Meters (see Area Spell, page 173).

And under Area Spells (p. 173) it says: "All visible targets within the area are affected". Furthermore under "Step 3: Choose the Target(s)" it says: "A spellcaster can target anyone or anything she can see directly with her natural vision. [Addtionally with improvements paid with essence.]".

Hence only visible things and individuals are valid targets. A fireball is an area spell and can only hit valid targets, so a fireball isn't able to strike hidden targets.

I agree that this is a major difference to previous editions, and that it takes a bit of the "oomph" out of the fireball. But it also downscales the "overpowered" mage a bit.
They can still fry a group, but even mundanes can now dive for cover.
hobgoblin
i used the term grenade to ilustrate that it can hit people behind cover as long as they are within the are of effect of the spell. not that it behaves like a grenade by the rules.

as in, the mage lands a fireball spell inside a room, past the door. this should in SR3 affect anyone hiding to either side of the door as long as they have no cover between them and the "detonation" point of the spell.

if this is no longer true in SR4 then fireballs and similar have realy lost a reason to exist, i may as well go powerball only and spend the rest of the points on something else...

or maybe, more power to the summoner? summon a unbound spirit and tell it to trash everything inside the room. then sit back and watch.

hell, i can now do more with a wellplaced grenade then i can do with magic...
Cold-Dragon
One example of why the physical spells (such as a fireball) will hit a person no matter visibility is on...

195: Combat Spells
...Indirect Combat spells create an external damaging medium (often elemental in nature) that is used to attack the target.

That means there's something quite real and dangerous moving around in a space, evnen if you can't see the space, anyone/thing there will get hit by it.

Also....well, damn, this is awkward. I can't find a part in magic beyond that would legit the claim beyond the physics. O_o....

Am I missing it, or have quite a few of us been using implied meaning....? *feels bad now*
Cold-Dragon
Well, I found another section that confirms direct spells work in the way expected, just not something that excludes or includes the physical, indirect spells. nyahnyah.gif

167: On the Manipulation of Magic
...When the signal is received, it channels mana through the target to create a specified effect (thus  Direct combat spells bypass armor, because they affect the target from within)...........Area-effect spells work roughly the same way, except that instead of sending the signal to one target, , the caster sends the signal out on multiple frequencies corresponding with the targets within the area of effect. If there  are targets within the area the caster cannot see, they will not be affected.

I'll find something!!!!
Aku
i'm sorry, but i have to go with the lines Darkness quoted above. It seems wonky, but if ya can't see what you're filling a room of fire with, ya can't hurt it.

Deadjester
It seems idiotic that its just not considered a burst of energy that is released and fills a set area reguardless if you can see it or not.

Heck based on their logic might as well bring in the old boogie man rule, "If I can't see them they can't see me either" start walking around with a blankie while doing a run and throw it over your head if you see a caster and run by.

Course that can go bad to as every one fights over the blankie or the one person who has it refuese to wash it casue its his good luck blankie
Cold-Dragon
It is a burst of energy, it deliberately states in the magic section that indirects spells create a medium of the energy. nyahnyah.gif By that logic, it's a physical effect that will get you regardless.

Of course, short of that, I never found anything to back up the logic rules-wise. -_-

Wasn't there something for that in SR3 though? I always had that concept in mind when I learned the game, so I had to get it from there first...
hobgoblin
SR3 had elemental manipulations, and there where by definition streams or areas of a elemental effect. hell, the non-area ones used more or less the same rules as firearms (flat target number, opponent being allowed to dodge and so on).

ah, SR3 page 182, elemental manipulation spells. second paragraph...

i find it strange that they should have changed all that for SR4...

i dont recall what the SR2 books had to say about elemental area effects but i think they where somewhat similar. but then SR2 had that "nasty" groundig rule. SR1 i cant talk about as i joined late SR2...
Cold-Dragon
Don't forget they cut out the alternative to spirit fighting too, and at this point, that looks like it was a bad idea or else a big fluke. the definition of spells, in this regard, might have gone the same way. >.<

Damn...
BGMFH
As of SR3, yes. No ruling in SR4 that IM aware of.
Azralon
Indirect combat spells are treated as ranged attacks, so my thinking on it is that you target a point in space and figure up the radius from there. That is to say, fireball will work around corners in my world.

For that kind of drain? It had better.
FrankTrollman
Yeah, it's an open question whether the fact that an indirect combat spell works "like a ranged attack" (and thus allows a blind fire attack) trumps the fact that i is "LOS spell" (and thus does not).

Both statements are absolutes and neither is listed as an exception to the other. However, it is logical to assume that the ranged combat rules are supposed to take precadence in this instance.

-Frank
TinkerGnome
I'd let indirect AOE hit everyone in the radius (barrier dependant). I mean, it has a DV of (F/2)+5. A force 5 is going to hurt pretty bad, and a force 12 has a very real chance of killing a starting mage.
stevebugge
Ok on a slightly related note:

Consider for a minute the Fireball Spell

SR3 it is an elemental manipulation that creates fire. There is no indication that it is created with explosive force, but it creates a fixed volume of fire.

SR4 it is a combat spell, that creates fire. Again no indication that it does so with explosive force, though it may not affect targets the caster cannot see in this version.

Now suppose some mage decides to let off a force 6 Fireball (no adjustment to area of effect, yes I think we can agree that this mage is either fireproof or a moron) in the cafeteria of an office building. The cafeteria in question has a seating area that is 4m x 4m, a low wall (just over 1 m tall) separating it from a buffet area wich is 2.5m x 4m, behind the Buffet area is a wall separating the cafeteria from the kitchen. there are open arch doorways to the rest of the building on both walls of the cafeteria dining area, set just on the dining area side of the buffet/dining area separator wall. The ceiling of the cafeteria is a Meta-Freindly 3.5 meters high. The Force 6 fireball goes off with a 6 meter radius (904.32 cubic meters of fire) What gets torched?

EDIT: The question is also what gets torched differently in various editions, and does the spell always produce the full volume of fire and would it spill/flow out in to surrounding unseen areas? Also how much like natural fire would magical fire behave (ie would it tend to rise etc.)
Azralon
The ball spells do homogenous damage within their area, as opposed to a true explosion that has a decreasing DV the further the target is from ground zero.

This implies (to me) that they're not so much explosions as.... erm.... sudden "bubbles of damage." As such, no chunky salsa from Fireball.

Which is a shame, as I do love a nice fire-roasted salsa.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012