Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Emo Samurai's dedicated character page.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
James McMurray
1) Apparently he's the GM

2) Define "playable"? Apparently the character isn't playable in your game, but it seems to be incredibly playable in his.

3) Chill out. Nobody is trying to get you to let the guy at your table.

4) I believe his question was "aaprt from the cap removal" what makes the character invalid. Responding "cap removal" seems to avoid the question.
emo samurai
His SIN allows him to buy a house in Salish; if he gets busted, he loses that instantly. I think that's quite a drawback, one that normal SINless characters don't have. So I think that part's valid.
Grinder
QUOTE (Dranem)
[edit] And for the record, a SINner character requires a UCAS SIN, I don't care if he's from timbuctoo, if it's not a UCAS SIN then that quality is not allowed.

Depends on where the game is set. My campagin is in Miami, so a UCAS SIN doesn't bring you much there wink.gif
emo samurai
It takes place in Seattle, but since my dude will spend most of his time making foci, he'll live in Salish. What with the abundance of crafting materials and organic foods. If he gets caught, he loses access to all of that.

I'm wondering how an ex-wise man should act. He'd have the vitality of a young man, assuming I don't make him depressed and pissed off. I could always make him energetic and pissed off... He'll autosoft a car to drive down a street playing "Confusion" from the movie "Blade" while yelling "I HATE PEOPLEEEEEEEE!!!!!!" out the window. In fact, I feel like doing that right now.
emo samurai
Assuming the Gremlins don't activate the ejector seat or something.
emo samurai
I'm leaning towards the "pissed off" angle. He'll call societies in general "hordes of leering supplicants." One of his quotes, which I've just come up with, is "This world is hard on idealists because everyone else is either a liar or an oppressor." According to him, most "good people" are nothing more than fearful beasts who have learned to lie. He'll view the "inspiration" he might give to others as merely their inherent tendency towards being swayed more by charisma than logic or their own reason and intuition. Yes, he'll be very nihilistic, but not in a stupid, self-important "I am the street, and the street is everything" kind of way that dumbass gangsters are, but in a logical, "Through observation, I have found that everyone has these flaws, and I hate them for it" kind of way. He wants people to be good at heart, but he "knows" that they aren't. That's why he steals from corporations and ruins their stock; they're just another opiate of the masses from his point of view. He has an enemy, opiation, but he fears that if he rallies the people, if he becomes some sort of hero, then the people will be just as deluded and complacent as they were before, if not more, since they get a chance to pat themselves on the back for a job well done that they had to be told to do.
Kremlin KOA
QUOTE (Dranem)

[edit] And for the record, a SINner character requires a UCAS SIN, I don't care if he's from timbuctoo, if it's not a UCAS SIN then that quality is not allowed.

oh really?

QUOTE ("SR4 p83")
SINner
Bonus: 5 or 10 BP
The character was born with or somehow acquired a legal
System Identification Number, or SIN (see Identification, Please,
p. 258). This means the character’s real identity, personal history,
biometric data, credit records, medical history, travel history, etc.
are stored and accessible in numerous databanks. This does not
mean the character is required to use that SIN, merely that a legal
record of him does exist (and may serve as a detriment some day).
At 5 BP, the character has a standard SIN and is a bona fide
citizen of the nation or extraterritorial megacorp of his choice. At
10 BP, the character has a criminal SIN, meaning that the character
also has a verifiable criminal record on file, and likely served
prison time in the past. As many law enforcement agencies share
their data, this means that character is more likely to be identified
if linked to a crime.
Dranem
I stand corrected... appologies around.
Kremlin KOA
beside let him take a salish SIN
gives ya more chance touse wildcats in the game
Grinder
Wildcats are Sioux, not Salish Shide.
Kremlin KOA
given the origin of the word Sioux
as meaning Enemy in the native American language of the surrounding regions

Given that they might decide to Extract Magical assets from the Salish
Grinder
QUOTE (Kremlin KOA)

Me culpa, I didn't know that. smile.gif
Kremlin KOA
NP
I am more interested in the idea of this guy having Sioux Wildcats waiting at his house for him to return so they can take him to a Sioux magical foci creation facility and put him on the production line
emo samurai
NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

I don't think that the GM would put in the probability of being kidnapped by a random, uninvolved entity over a 5 BP flaw. If he did, I would sick Bubba the Love Troll on his ass. Maybe being kidnapped by his own family, but that's already covered under the Hunted flaw.
Crusher Bob
QUOTE (Kremlin KOA)

Given that they might decide to Extract Magical assets from the Salish

Sioux is the short version of a French version of a word of one the the neighboring tribes, forget who, supposed to mean 'little snakes'. They called themselves, the Dakota, Lakota, and, erm, crap, I forgot but there was at least one other group.
emo samurai
I'm thinking of having my character eventually burn the family manor down, destroying the physical center of his family's wealth. He'll try to level them with the common people, but having the people's champion destroy them might be construed by the downtrodden peasants as permission to skin them alive or something.
Kremlin KOA
QUOTE (emo samurai)
NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

I don't think that the GM would put in the probability of being kidnapped by a random, uninvolved entity over a 5 BP flaw. If he did, I would sick Bubba the Love Troll on his ass. Maybe being kidnapped by his own family, but that's already covered under the Hunted flaw.

I am the GM
and Bubba was old news
Now I have Huggy the troll, with his tattoo, 'Just call me, but(t) love.' William Shakespeare.

Huggy killed bubba and works for me
emo samurai
... How did he kill Bubba?
Kremlin KOA
the spoiler box is because the answer is sick

[ Spoiler ]
emo samurai
[ Spoiler ]
b1ffov3rfl0w
spoiler, maybe:

Doom was a radionuclide-conjugated monoclonal antibody, wasn't it? Sort of like the ones they are now using to treat certain cancers, except used for evil. I think it recognized myosin, the major protein of muscles.

Sorry, never figured out the Spoiler thing. dead.gif
emo samurai
You type [ spoiler ] whatever you want to not spoil [ /spoiler ] without any of the spaces within the brackets.

I'm assuming the shamans in his magical group won't give a damn about his shadowrunning, as long as he doesn't bring any heat. Also, if he was caught in megacorporate territory and he ran to Salish, would the Salish government close the doors on him?
emo samurai
I was thinking that they'd have really good corporate assets, since they take in tax money and then give it to some finance corporation. I was wondering if there was any way for the players to totally ruin the shit of his parents and make several stock transfers that bankrupt them. This will be before they burn down his parents' house. Maybe enlist the aid of their broker and give him a large cut.
emo samurai
Maybe I won't have him be a SINner. He'll start out with two rating 6 fake SIN's, and he'll have spent most of his money from before he left China on getting the house and washing the money. He used to have a lot more, collection pot and everything, but about 80% of it ended up going to charities and greedy bankers. The fixer he knows will be the one who set him up with the fake ID's and the house on prime fishing ground in the Salish. He'll like Shen because of how much he's helped him with his partners.

And is Middle lifestyle too little for a little house in Salish? As I understand it, Salish doesn't have that many people, and his landlord will let him fish in the lake and everything.
Glyph
The way I see it, a middle life style in Salish territory would be a trade-off compared to a middle life style in Seattle. In Salish territory, you would have a lot more room, but it would also be fairly primitive - electricity and running water, but none of the tech that an urban dweller would take for granted, and you would have a general store 15 miles away instead of several stores within half a block, etc.

If you wanted the advantages of a rural middle life style and the amenities enjoyed by a typical city dweller, then it would be a High lifestyle.
emo samurai
My new character build takes that into account. Thanks. Would he be able to support his lifestyle by building telesma and hunting down animals with the help of his spirits in order to not have to pay for food? Wait, yes he would... Never mind.

I'm assuming that his contacts will let him hunt, fish, and gather. What would they think of him having earth spirits dig underground and dig up metals for making into alchemical radicals? It takes away, like, 2% of the total mass of the earth without even harming the land. I'm assuming his landlord will be okay with this.
Glyph
Yeah, a landlord would be completely okay with that, if he never found out. Most rentals don't exactly include mineral rights!
mfb
a moment of silence for our recently-departed emo. we'll remember him forever, or at least for a few days, as the man who finally got Master Shake's retarded-ass thread shut down.
eidolon
Honestly though, all I could think by the end of that post was "who the hell let him have a Dr. Pepper, and why didn't they tie him down afterward so he couldn't post?"
Dranem
QUOTE (Glyph)
The way I see it, a middle life style in Salish territory would be a trade-off compared to a middle life style in Seattle. In Salish territory, you would have a lot more room, but it would also be fairly primitive - electricity and running water, but none of the tech that an urban dweller would take for granted, and you would have a general store 15 miles away instead of several stores within half a block, etc.

If you wanted the advantages of a rural middle life style and the amenities enjoyed by a typical city dweller, then it would be a High lifestyle.

Or you could live in some urban area like Vancouver and have all the amenities of a metropolitan city but a lot friendlier atmosphere. wink.gif
Glyph
Yeah, but would your landlord give you mineral rights?
Dranem
Why bother with your own land? If I remember correctly (combination of novels and cannon), Richmond has been deserted since it got hit by an earthquake... Dig where no one cares! smile.gif
Mauler
QUOTE (Dranem)
[...] Richmond has been deserted since it got hit by an earthquake... [...]

Interesting. Do you have a reference?
Witness
I've been wondering about this too. My current game is (currently) set in Vancouver and I've had quite a lot of fun fleshing it out. (And @Dranem: it's not that much friendlier either!)

The Sixth World Wiki mentions the Richmond earthquake of 2059. In my game (set in 2063 though using SR4 rules), Richmond is a barrens district, full of crime, disease, despair etc, but probably even worse than Seattle's Payullup barrens because ever since the earthquake it's been flooded. People still live there, either because they wouldn't leave or couldn't leave (insurance wouldn't pay up- guess what real world event I'm paralleling here?), including any number of 'gator gangs'. Everyone calls that area the Richmond Swamps.

But I am curious because elsewhere in SWW it says that the earthquake was of magical origin and only affected Richmond (not in my game- the area to the east and south-east- I'm calling it all the Tsawassen district- is barrens too, just not as bad). But what's the official back story there?
Mauler
Thanks.
emo samurai
Hi, I'm baaaaaaaack.

Anyway, I have a plan for my character's development. It's a near final-draft, much of it collected from other places in this thread.

The story of his life starts in the year 2013, just two years after the awakening. His parents are simple peasantry, apparently content with their lot in life.

His part of China becomes Manchuria, and his parents are later revealed to be descended from nobility. They quickly accrue money and a deed because of this and become really, really conniving bastards. Shen also develops magical prowess and comes to be a village wise man from an early age, giving advice, healing people, and helping out with labor with his spirits. He gets a large allowance from his parents, but he rarely, if ever, spends much of it. His biggest expenditure is playing fairy godfather to the villagers, helping persecuted young couples start homes away from their overbearing parents.

He decides to leave Manchuria after wandering the countryside and speaking to the people whom he helped elope, all of whom have ceased being couples. In each case, they have broken up for some random reason or another, such as the woman becoming pregnant and the man not wanting anything to do with it, or one of them wimping out and running back to his/her family, or just plain relationship deterioration. This leaves him heartbroken, and he speaks to the man who handles his family's finances, his fixer, and gets him to buy him six plane tickets out of the Manchurian National Airport under six names, three of them his actual name, one of them a badly faked identity, and two of them under a really good one, one of which he actually took. This is before he develops any sort of resentment against his parents.

This plane lands in Seattle, and his fixer launders his money through multiple offshore banks and writes them off as "revenues" for his nonexistent talismongering shop in the Barrens. He also sets him up with a Salish shaman/ realtor who rents Shen a nice little house. Since my character's 57 years old, has 5 intuition and logic and 6 willpower, he should be assumed to be about as wise as the shaman. He doesn't let his parents know, thinking that they're simply worried. He leaves just because he needs his space; because of this, much of his time is spent exploring the wilderness, people-watching in Seattle, and idly making foci.

What he doesn't know: his parents view him as a valuable political asset and want him back badly. He was very guileless and good, meaning that he was an invaluable opiate of the masses. He also doesn't know that his parents were gaining influence with the other houses and unscrupulous businessmen by having their secret pet mage perform memory manipulation on people, many of whom were the eloping sons and daughters of other noble houses. This secret pet mage is a wandering mage who came to Shen's home long ago looking for a patron and found one in Shen's parents. His parents were intelligent enough to realize that this man, while devoted to magic, would chafe under any sort of public duties. They struck a deal with him: do bad things for us about once every 5 months, and we'll give you everything you want, including your privacy. He agreed, and used magic to bring the prodigal sons and daughters of the noble houses back under the control of their selectively loving parents. Shen will eventually confront and possibly kill this man.

He'll also keep a running journal of his experiences in the U.S., using his outsider's perspective on his environment to hopefully bring new insights to Shadowlands BBS. I hope to do this wireless age blog on the IC forums on Dumpshock. I also hope everyone comments on it in character, signing every post with their character's name.
emo samurai
No one ever responds to this page. How does nobody have anything to say about my character's Spider Jerusalem/Buddha blog?
Dranem
Perhapse because
a) Few people like your character concept.
b) You might need to find a group, and a GM willing to accept one of your whacked out characters.
c) Why would a 57 year old shaman 'wise man' run the shadows?
d) I don't know many people here who would change their Dumpshock alias to 'post in character' for this 'forum blog' you intend to write, and to post in character, see reason (b).

Think that covers the primary points.
Grinder
QUOTE (Dranem)
b) You might need to find a group, and a GM willing to accept one of your whacked out characters.

According to FanGirl's thread, emo is the GM. eek.gif
FanGirl
I know I said I wouldn't look at this thread, but I was clicking on auto-pilot this morning and accidentally opened it up. It won't happen again. embarrassed.gif I didn't catch any spoilers about your character(s), but I did catch Dranem's post.

To be brief: you're a consummate jerk, Dranem. Your comments are absolutely callous and completely unwarranted.

To be long-winded:
QUOTE (Dranem)
a) Few people like your character concept.

You could have given some constructive criticism, but noooo. Based on what I know about Emo's character, I'd say he has some Sueist tendencies, but what character doesn't? I know that mine does.
QUOTE (Dranem)

As Grinder's already pointed out, he's already going to be my GM, as well as GM to three other people. If I were a GM--which I probably will be, once I get a couple years experience under my belt--I would gladly accept Emo into my campaign, because I know that he would bring so much energy and enthusiasm to the table.
QUOTE (Dranem)
c) Why would a 57 year old shaman 'wise man' run the shadows?

If you're objecting to the fact that the character is seemingly "too old" to be running, remember that 57 is quite young for an elf (which the character is, as I recall). Besides, the fact that Emo's character is not the kind of person you'd expect to run the shadows is perhaps one of his strengths.
QUOTE (Dranem)
d) I don't know many people here who would change their Dumpshock alias to 'post in character' for this 'forum blog' you intend to write, and to post in character, see reason (b).

People seem genuinely interested in my OOC forum blog about Emo's campaign, so why wouldn't they be interested in Emo's IC forum blog? I think it's a great idea, and I would happily respond IC to such a blog. Plus, people wouldn't necessarily have to change their aliases if they didn't want to. They could just sign their posts with their character's name, like so:

--FanGirl
"Totally confuzzled since 2050"

So in conclusion: Dranem, you're a consummate jerk.
PBTHHHHT
Fangirl, you made your points which are good and valid, but please if you have the chance, remove the in language portions. The foul language just takes away from the overall level. Just state that you strongly disagree with him and not use foul language. It'll sound more professional and gives you a better standing. smile.gif
FanGirl
Well, I am very, very mad at Dranem, and swearing is a good way to emphasize that. But I will remove the swearing because you asked nicely. smile.gif
emo samurai
Why the hell do you post on my threads, anyway? You pretend to be a canon purist, but you shoot down my
[ Spoiler ]

You ignore logic in order to insult me; you symbolize everything self-important and ignorant about this board. I would like you to get the hell away from my threads in the future, since you have contributed nothing useful to them.
Kremlin KOA
sadly
That should convince Dranem to follow you around the boards like a stalker from now on
emo samurai
Goddammit... I wonder what he's like in real life. Maybe he's Comic Book Guy, but without the 165 IQ, and even less charisma. That's entirely plausible.
Witness
I'll be interested in reading the blog Emo. I'll follow Fangirl's thread with interest too- if the campaign actually ever starts!
emo samurai
SATURDAY
Grinder
Countdown to Extinction.
emo samurai
My character will ROOOOOOOOCCCCCCKKKKKK!!!!!!!

He'll be nihilistic, but not in the "middle class white boy who air guitars and listens to System of a Down" way. He'll be much more Spider-Jerusalem-ish with a bit of enlightened philosophy.
emo samurai
G's character will be a chaos hermetic who speaks to voices in his head. His parents were back-to-nature hippies who lived in a sustainable cabin in New Mexico; they died in a flood one day, he didn't. He woke up mysteriously in a freaky stone wizard's tower type thing in the demilitarized zone between Tir and the California Free State. It'll be like a D&D wizard's tower, except more twisted and Lovecraftian. The wizard there will be known as the Master and he performs horrible experiments on the Awakened critters around the tower. There have been raids, all of which have been driven back by the Master's magic and twisted freaks of supernature.

I'm making a new kind of spirits for this player called Chaos spirits, which I have yet to make up stats for. He shadowruns because he's devoted to chaos as a principle, in a way that diverges from the Master, who's more devoted to the scientific aspects of chaos.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012