Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Everday Gear For Runners Item 2
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
stevebugge
Okay. Once again working on buildinging interest in the Everyday Gear for Runners Project. Today's topic are large, heavy, implements of manual demolition: Sledgehammers and Mauls.

First what is the difference? A Full Length Sledgehammer has a 36" Handle topped by a 10lb Head that is flat on both sides, a maul has a 36" Handle topped by a 8lb Head that is flat on one side and is a splitting wedge on the other. The Half Length Sledge has a 4lb head on an 18" Handle.

Second post your version of recommended stats for these as weapons. Include Damage Value, Reach, Skill & Attribute for use, and Damage Value vs. Barriers. Also include any restrictions on their use, for example a strength requirement.
Aku
I voted all, and heres how i think i'd stat them.

All

Use Clubs skill to use
double damage to barriers
Str is Attribute used

Sledgehammer

(str/2)+4P, reach +2
Minimum str of 4.

Maul
reach +2
Flatside:(str/2)+2P
Pickaxe:(Str/2)+1P -1AP
Minimum str of 3.

Half Length
(str/2)+2P, reach +1
Moon-Hawk
I vote full length maul only, in the truck of your vehicle. I like the maul 'cause it has different ends, thereby doubling it's utility. It's heavy enough that if the maul can't do it, the sledge probably can't either, and if it's really that borderline of a case, it's probably time to step up to explosives anyway. Finally, I don't vote for the smaller ones, because none of them are light enough to carry around without specific purpose anyway, so just carry one big one and be done with it.

Edit: I like Aku's damage, but I think all the reach values should be decreased by 1.
Aku
I based my reach (atleast the full length) off of the combat axe, which looks to be about 36 inches as well.
Lagomorph
I voted full maul, the utility of the two different heads, and like moon-hawk said, if the maul can't the sledge probably can't either. I don't know if I agree with the maul being 1 full point less on damage just for being 2 lb lighter, if it were 1 DV less than the sledge, it should also have a -1 ap for having a cleaving side (thats the side I'd try use in a fight anyway)
Moon-Hawk
I figured that's where you got the reach, Aku, I just don't think the combat axe should have reach 2, either.
Second Lagomorph on the DV/AP thing.
PBTHHHHT
I say all, even the half length sledge, heck, a character might be crazy enough that he wants to carry it around. It's up to them and it's lighter than the rest.

Plus, the lighter one might be useful when space and weight is at a premium, don't know how or why, but it's a nice addition to the mix. As for the arguments about the reach bonus, but if it's for consistency sake due to the combat axe, then ah well. at least it's consistent.
Aku
I was actually trying to think of some way to use both sides of the maul, so i'm going to adjust it slightly...
stevebugge
Not that I disagree, but I do find it interesting that everyone seems to be in agreement about the P damage code rather than and S. I really expected a Blunt Weapon vs. It has too much mass to be stun argument to erupt early on.
PBTHHHHT
I think it's partially the disbelief that a blow by a sledge or a maul is just stun damage, regardless that it's blunt...
Moon-Hawk
A Greyhound bus is also blunt.
Austere Emancipator
As are most bullets.
stevebugge
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk @ Feb 14 2006, 01:11 PM)

That may just be the perfect counter argument smile.gif

Again I agree that a 10lb Hammer with a one meter handle in the hands of someone strong enough to swing it as a weapon should do Physical damage, I'm just suprised at the lack of disagreement. If there is something you can usually count on around here, disagreement is it.
PBTHHHHT
Ayup, so I think we're all in agreement, blunts can do physical damage. whew. Now that it's settled, Steve, quit trying to get an argument going!!! nyahnyah.gif
Churl Beck
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)

I agree that a Greyhound bus should do Stun damage.
stevebugge
I was merely expressing disbelief, if I were trying to start an argument I would have said something like Vin Diesel can Beat Chuck Norris in a fair fight. Now that would have started an argument.

Please refer all answers to the previous statement Here:
http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=11761
TeOdio
I voted None, just make sure your team has a Troll with Bone Lacing or Bone Density Bioware.
nuyen.gif nuyen.gif nuyen.gif
Shrike30
Half length sledge. The bigger one's just too much of a bitch to carry (and mauls are worse), and if you need to demolish anything that a half-length won't do quickly enough, you need to be using explosives.
Kleaner
I'm still trying to figure out what the hell you need a maul for?

Breaking car windows? Quieter and less nosiy to break into the car...

Pad locks? Pick them or use a micro torch...much more effective...

Breaking down a door? shotgun blast to each hinge and a swift kick will work if your in a hurry, use picks or a micro torch otherwise.

Smashing something? If it's small take it with you, smash it later...if it's not small use C4...either option is much easier than carrying a maul around.
stevebugge
I would say for flavor mostly. Mauls & Sledges do have advantage of being much cheaper than C-4 and legal to purchase. I guess it's for all the people who have always wanted to play an Ork with a really Big Hammer smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012