Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rollplaying defended, gender examined
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
SL James
If she's ugly, then sure. Life's not fair that way.
hyzmarca
There is one imporant reason why men should not play hot lesbians in most shadowrun games.

Roleplaying is all about the vicarious thrill of pretending you are someone else. However, roleplaying is a group experience. Therefore, it is important that the entire group is seeking a similar type of vicarious thrill.

Most often, in Shadowrun, this thrill involves commiting crimes and/or performing horrificly brutal acts of violence for money. The lesbian angle, however, suggests that a player is looking for a completely different type of thrill, one that the other players may not be comfortable with. A perfect example of this can be found here. Notice how everyone derrides Shadowdragon for sexually molesting the stuffer shack girl.

There are plenty of chatrooms what men can pretend to be hot teenage lesbians and women can pretend to be gay men. Many, if not most, SR players don't want their games to be dominated by other players' sexual fantasies. It simply isn't the place. If you are in the type of game that welcomes sexual roleplaying, then that is fine. Otherwise, go seek out one of the forementioned chatrooms instead.

It is perfectly fine for a man to play a character that is a lesbian or a woman to play a character that is homosexual, so long as it doesn't menifest itself in random gropings of NPCs. Most people in real life have a sexual orientation of some sort. Most people in real life don't randomly grope people on the street. And, 'its okay for her she can finger-rape random women because she's a woman too' doesn't fly in real life. It shouldn't fly in a roleplaying game, especially when it is only a thin veneer.
SL James
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Mar 4 2006, 05:36 PM)
Notice how everyone derrides Shadowdragon for sexually molesting the stuffer shack girl.

The key word being molesting. Maybe if she did it compulsively (you know, being a sexual predator and all) and the team dealt with having a sex offender on the team, it'd be perfectly fine. As it was, it was just stupid and horrible RP.

I fail to see how playing another gender or orientation presumes one is more likely to be, "looking for a completely different type of thrill." My other primary PC, who I don't mention much because I have been too busy with games to build up backstory and downtime, happens to be a street sam/drone rigger who is on his own time gay. It's not like he was slapping (for example) Crit's PC on the ass, or drooling all over him just because he happens to be a high-Charisma and pretty handsome elf. Especially not in the middle of the damn mission. But that is also because his sexuality isn't one of the dominant characteristic of his persona (*cough* Talon *cough*). I know it's odd in cases with Player/ PC gender or orientation differences exist, but it happens sometimes.
mfb
it depends on the player, though. unfortunately, any random sample of players who have played hot lesbians are going to turn up exactly the kind of player you don't want playing one--the kind that's going to play a charicature pr0n stereotype, spend at least one paragraph per post (if you play online) describing how hot their character is, getting their character into sexually compromising situations (if not just fucking the brains out of anything that moves), etcetera. even if those players were a minority in the sample, they'd likely have an effect far out of proportion with their representation. i mean, jesus, MAKE ME FORGET happened, what, six or seven years ago (in a private rp session on SL, for those who are wondering), and we still laugh about it because laughing is better than screaming and clawing out our own eyes.
SL James
This stuff about roleplaying is just ridonculous (yes, that is spelled correctly) because you know what? We get better sometimes. But sometimes some self-important jerk makes it harder to improve, or even to bother caring. I can only imagine my shock if I took a poll of how many people even tried to help make one of these PCs better, or the next one better, or the one after that. How many GMs did (not) do their jobs or just signed off, hoping for a good story to tell online when the player wasn't looking. And I'd be even more shocked if I asked how many people just mocked, insulted, ignored, or ran to a SLGS or DS or some other forum to bitch about them (especially if they do it behind the player's back).

If most of the people playing the game are to immature or otherwise lacking in understanding, then the majority is likely to be completely incapable of playing the more ridiculous caricatures. But that's not limited to gender. It's applicable to everything. I'm still learning how to RP better after 14 years of gaming. Some people are just good at RP and pick it up sooner, some people couldn't ever do it to save their lives, and some just ought to be beaten with a large dildo because they don't even try.

To me, it's the last group that is the biggest problem.

It's the ones who don't care, don't try to become better, or even think beyond some self-important conception who suck. And you know who else sucks; the GMs and co-players who put up with them, encourage them, or worst of all, do what SL did to that specific player and just disencourage them away. Groups like that are why I sometimes wish murder wasn't illegal, because there is no group anywhere, nor has there ever been or ever will be, that can actually back up any collective hubris pointed at one player to force them out.

Edit: Specific references to Shadowland politics were omitted because they aren't anyone else's business, and have no place being discussed on Dumpshock.
mfb
i... dunno. i mean, yeah, to a certain extent--a large extent--the GM and players ought to work with players in order to better their rp, especially if rp is important to the group. but continuing efforts are dependent on two things: whether or not the group can have fun while bringing a player or players out of whatever phase they're going through (whether it's playing lesbians with big tits or playing personality-free gunbunnies or simply breaking the fourth wall at inappropriate times), and whether or not that player is showing any potential for improvement.

and let's be honest. if some guy is trying to play out his sexual fantasies in a game, be it tabletop or online, i don't want to associate with him. i just... ew, man, gross. because i like getting pretty involved in my rp, these days, i might bite the bullet and have a sit-down with a guy who's doing something like that. but somebody who's just a casual rp'er, just there to have fun in between other hobbies? i'm not going to blame 'em if they just disassociate completely from that type of player, or even talk about them behind their backs. that's the price that type of player pays for acting inappropriately in public, same as the chick who always ends up puking on the rug at parties, or the guy who doesn't shower often enough.
Vegas
QUOTE (mfb)
and let's be honest. if some guy is trying to play out his sexual fantasies in a game, be it tabletop or online, i don't want to associate with him. i just... ew, man, gross. because i like getting pretty involved in my rp, these days, i might bite the bullet and have a sit-down with a guy who's doing something like that. but somebody who's just a casual rp'er, just there to have fun in between other hobbies? i'm not going to blame 'em if they just disassociate completely from that type of player, or even talk about them behind their backs. that's the price that type of player pays for acting inappropriately in public, same as the chick who always ends up puking on the rug at parties, or the guy who doesn't shower often enough.

So where do you draw the line between "tasteful" RP/Char Development vs. getting one's rocks off because they can? I mean I've had some sadistic GM's out there do things with characters to *force* them to have a little "interlude" with another PC, or wanted a backstory that had depth to it involving relationships, sex, etc.

Last thing I want to be characterized as is a gamer who is just out to get my "rocks off" especially being a chick. Just like I don't want to be pigeon-holed into the stereotype "girl gamer" because I like to play characters who are involved with RP that *isn't* just hack n' slash. Yeah, I like to "talk" I also like picking up an SMG or heavy pistol and tearing through a bunch of Banded's helmets too wink.gif
mfb
there's no solid line. but if it's all a player does, then what little line there is has probably been crossed, y'know?

lemme amend:
QUOTE (mfb)
if some guy is constantly trying to play out his sexual fantasies in a game...
hyzmarca
When the adjective "glistening" is used in referance to a body part. When the term "member" is used to referance a body part.

There is nothing wrong with writing a background that includes sex so long as it doesn't read like a lemon fanfic. "We had sex" is always acceptable. A 20 page thesis on which rock-hard organs were inserted into which quivering orafices is usually not acceptable.

QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Damien Knight writhed with passion in his lover's arms, feeling the warmth of the embrace, the pure animal lust they felt for each other, the girth and hardness of his partner's member. He groaned with pleasure, stroking its scaly length, fit for a king… or a President.

This is ever so slightly too far. Original Topic.

Some things walk a line and are very group dependant. For example, a pistol adept based on Ryo Saeba from City Hunter who uses skirt-flipping for divination and centering will work better in some groups than in others.

The question one must ask is simple. Do the sexual aspects steal focus from the rest of the game?

TinkerGnome
It's all about the way it's done. If the character's sexual orientation is included in the character concept, then that's definitely wrong. If it's just a part of the background and doesn't come up during play within the first several sessions, then it's fine. I mean, imagine the roleplay potential if you've got a heavy weapon expert troll on the team. Macho beyond macho. Then, for whatever reason, the team has to crash at his place and the troll has to explain to his ork boyfriend what's going on. Like on the tenth session.

That's just fun.

However, if you know he's gay within ten seconds of meeting him... the character probably isn't going to be much fun to run with.
MaxHunter
Where to draw the line between perversion and good RP?

It's a matter of good taste and common sense, not the two most common traits.

It ends up being a matter of group dynamics. The group, the gaming community, this forum, etc. end up setting the standards of the genre.

.. I had something to say about women playing RPGs, but just now I can't remember what it was... (Has this topic gotten sidetracked?)

cheers,

Max

SL James
Yes, but only because the original topic seems to have run its course and slammed into the wall at 200mph.

i... dunno. i mean, yeah, to a certain extent--a large extent--the GM and players ought to work with players in order to better their rp, especially if rp is important to the group. but continuing efforts are dependent on two things: whether or not the group can have fun while bringing a player or players out of whatever phase they're going through (whether it's playing lesbians with big tits or playing personality-free gunbunnies or simply breaking the fourth wall at inappropriate times), and whether or not that player is showing any potential for improvement.

Well, of course. The relationship goes both ways. if the player doesn't want to listen, then by all means they can get lost. But considering the context, how many times do you think that's happened after a GM or the rest of the group said, "Hey, uh... You sure about this?" You know, doing their jobs. Seriously, what kind of a GM just allows a disruptive presence into the heart of the game, or players to put up with it within the group?

All I'm saying is that maybe it's not always the players who suck. Maybe it's the rest of the group who, seeing a trainwreck in progress or imminent, does nothing. If the player refuses to listen though, then fuck 'em. But that applies well beyond this specific topic. That goes as well for the casual RPer, too. It's easier online because you can just ignore them, or let them find a game that is amenable to their playing style. Tabletop, I wouldn't know. But what annoys the hell out of me are people who just skip to the "bitching to DS" step, especially people who never once actually played with the player/PC, because that happens all the time. All... fuck it. n/m.

hyzmarca: Have you considered suggesting that if they altered some SR-centric setting features they could probably sell it to Harlequin? Or has anything like that ever, you know, happened? Anywhere. To anyone. These discussions would be a far deal more useful if they weren't full of exaggerations and caricatures of characters and players who don't exist.
TinkerGnome
QUOTE (SL James)
Seriously, what kind of a GM just allows a disruptive presence into the heart of the game and the group dynamic?

Sometimes the social structure of a gaming group is such that this is very, very difficult. This is especially true for a group that has been gaming together for a very long time or a group in an area where there are few people around to replace the player or the problem contributes something important outside the game itself (like the place to meet and there aren't other good options).

Not every group was put together as a gaming group from the start. It may also be that the "problem" player is an alternate GM who does a great job at GMing. All of these things could be true.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (TinkerGnome)
QUOTE (SL James @ Mar 5 2006, 05:53 PM)
Seriously, what kind of a GM just allows a disruptive presence into the heart of the game and the group dynamic?

Sometimes the social structure of a gaming group is such that this is very, very difficult. This is especially true for a group that has been gaming together for a very long time or a group in an area where there are few people around to replace the player or the problem contributes something important outside the game itself (like the place to meet and there aren't other good options).

Not every group was put together as a gaming group from the start. It may also be that the "problem" player is an alternate GM who does a great job at GMing. All of these things could be true.

Tinker has caught the correct.
SL James
Well, then here's my question: If the group dynamics are such that they are perfectly capable or willling to tolerate it, then where's the problem? That is, unless it's some outside third party who's got some hair up their ass about it, in which case: Eff 'em.

Screw it. This no longer has anything to do with the topic from my end.
Wounded Ronin
Well, I just wrote a story for Tisoz's fiction contest that's from a female perspective, so maybe later people who read it can tell me if it has t3h r34l or not. Um, unfortunately, I submitted it under the "Back To School Special" category so I guess it will be many moons before it ever sees the light of day.
Kyoto Kid
Wow, This thread has certainly taken more turns than the streets of Laurelhurst in Portland TT.

I do agree, sexual orientation should mainly be relegated to character story and rarely appear during gaming sessions. Only one SR character I have run was 'openly' lesbian, and then only because it was forced into out by the GM when the non-contact NPC friend of the PC became directly involved in the active adventure plot.

Because of this, and one character from and off and on D&D campaign. the GM in question has typecast every female character I design. To tell the truth, a good number of my characters simply have little or romantic interest whatsoever, and several were actually celibate. Just because they don't drool over every Chrisma 8 elf male that comes along, doesn't mean they are all lesbians.

A character's orientation does affect to a degree how they react in everyday life, but for the most part it should not enter actual game play unless, as in the example of the Troll wit the Orc boyfriend mentioned above, it is used to add a bit of levity to the situation.

Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)

I do agree, sexual orientation should mainly be relegated to character story and rarely appear during gaming sessions. Only one SR character I have run was 'openly' lesbian, and then only because it was forced into out by the GM when the non-contact NPC friend of the PC became directly involved in the active adventure plot.

Everyone seems to be saying "sexual orientation shouldn't rear it's ugly head during game play". Granted, we've all dealt with the immature gamer who plays across gender homosexual and is stupidly promiscuous all the time without rhyme or reason.

Still, though, I think you can make a case for a character being ridiculously promiscuous and not necessarily have it be stupid. I mean, for goodness sakes, the PCs are doing very dangerous work that could easily lead to them being killed or mangled. Of course some shadowrunners are going to go off the hedonistic deep end. When you could easily die tomorrow I'm sure a lot of people would hit the whores and ale hard to try and die of an alcohol overdose and cheat fate in that way.

Just think of how stressful that lifestyle is. Some people, IRL, when they are under a lot of stress, become promiscuous. Some self-mutilate. Some become alcoholics. How hard would it be to believe that someone whose lifestyle consists largely of flight-or-fight stress would take some form of self destructive behavior to the extreme.

Wow,  This thread has certainly taken more turns than the streets of Laurelhurst in Portland TT.   

Did you ever figure out what you were going to post regarding the original topic? You said you were in the middle of composing something.

warrior_allanon
I'm not saying that Ronin, in fact one of the players/characters in our current SR3 game has kinda made it a trademark of his in that even with the "Liar" Flaw and "Uncouth" he has managed to score more than almost any other team member. Now we dont necesarily go into specifics except for one gloriously hilarious interlude that turned out to be a wolf shapeshifter. But usually he has used that "Liar" flaw to his advantage and managed to get the group into places we normally wouldnt go while he takes the occasional secretary or nurse into the supply closet for a quickie. The other thing that has happened is that the GM has the characters end up getting "involved" with our contacts. Our electronics whiz burned his reporter contact by not "getting serious" with her, while i managed to score a free luxury lifestyle by bedding down with my fixer.

This has also led to serious ability for backstory for my SR4 characters which are the children of this pairing. And though i go out of the SR4 cannon by giving an ED reference because my SR3 character's last run will be HQ's back, this gives a hell of a background for their training and abilities.

My one female character is the daughter of the older character and is a complete and total B17ch. her drive is to prepare for the "upcoming storm" as her father taught her and being totally straight is not going to become intimate with the rest of the team and though she has the ability to dress up, because she is the mechanic and driver of the group, she usually dresses in BDU's and leather. she's a battle axe and i play her that way, completely hardcore and not to be messed with. This is the third way most men play female characters i've found.
mfb
it basically comes down to why gender and sexual orientation are coming up in a given game. if they're coming up because the player(s and the GM) believes it will add an interesting element to the rp, fantastic. go for it. if it's coming up because one player is so horny that every character they make is a raging nymphomaniac with huge tits, then for chrissake, that player needs to perform a manual override before sitting down to do chargen. now, that assumes that the rest of the gaming group is uninterested in playing out sex fantasies at the gaming table. if they are, woohoo. create all the large-breasted night one lesbians you like.
Vegas
QUOTE (mfb)
now, that assumes that the rest of the gaming group is uninterested in playing out sex fantasies at the gaming table. if they are, woohoo. create all the large-breasted night one lesbians you like.

Sounds like some players (and GM's) that I know wet dream.

But yes, there is a line of "in good taste" vs. "getting one's rocks off" that gets crossed and causes issue when no one else in the group (online or tabletop) wants to watch or listen to your shadowpr0n.

Sadly, far too many people don't know where that line is... until they've crossed it and gone so far people want to scratch their eyes out. Heh.
Arethusa
It doesn't happen just with sexual fantasies. I've seen people turn their personal insecurities into characters they were fiercely defensive of. I consider the night one lesbian nymphomaniac to essentially be a subset of this phenomenon; in this case, it tends to be an expression of sexual frustration and fucking ridiculous immaturity.

Admittedly, just as mfb's expressed interest in seeing someone play the archetypal loner hero realistically, I'd sort of be interested in briefly seeing the night one lesbian nympho played with real consequences and character. I'd probably take that right back if I ever had, though.
mfb
true. had/having a problem like that with a player i interact with fairly frequently. huge leaps in progress were made when the player finally confessed that the reason his characters act in certain ways is because he himself can't.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Arethusa)
It doesn't happen just with sexual fantasies. I've seen people turn their personal insecurities into characters they were fiercely defensive of.

I've absolutely seen that also. In my opinion it makes a game very difficult to run because the player tends to not like it whenever things go wrong or that character gets messed up in some way or killed. For me, my games tend to revolve around humor, stupid cliches (like Sho Kosugi, or the loincloth powers), and tactical challenges. If someone dosen't want to die following a blunder, well, that creates a conflict.
Arethusa
Messed up in some way or killed? If that's all you've gotten away with so far, consider yourself lucky. In my experience, it's more along the lines of throwing a fit when their characters make any sort of bad decision (which, considering the type of people who do this sort of thing, is basically every decision).
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Arethusa)
Messed up in some way or killed? If that's all you've gotten away with so far, consider yourself lucky. In my experience, it's more along the lines of throwing a fit when their characters make any sort of bad decision (which, considering the type of people who do this sort of thing, is basically every decision).

Well, I personally haven't experienced that extreme, although I've experienced less extreme things in the same vein. I can certainly see that happening in a gaming situation.
Glyph
There's nothing wrong with identifying with your character, or roleplaying to do things you couldn't do in the real world (heck, that's probably why most people do roleplay).

However, you run into problems when you try to run your character like a Mary Sue. In a roleplaying game, a bit of emotional distance from the character can be a good thing. Because you don't control everything that happens in the game. When you make a character, you should keep in mind that this character could roll to hit and wind up tripping over his own feet instead. The other characters could all laugh at your "cool" street name. Your character could DIE. So be cool with that.

If you need an outlet for fantasies where your character never fails and is admired by everyone, just write a self-insertion Ranma fanfic where you score with half of the cast. But don't try it at the gaming table.
SL James
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
Everyone seems to be saying "sexual orientation shouldn't rear it's ugly head during game play".

Not exactly, since a lot of game play is "downtime" stuff. It's just that, mayeb it's me since I have a habit of playing characters who are more than usually professional through training, habit, or experience born from the lack thereof kicking them in the ass "back in the day." At this point it's mostly relegated to backstory and fiction, but only because I have been busy with other things to ask anyone, and no one has offered. Especially since RPing out certain interpersonal issues with *gasp* another person would take forever.
mfb
no kidding. it takes us a month to roll out one round of combat. putting on a condom, on SL, would take decades.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Glyph)

If you need an outlet for fantasies where your character never fails and is admired by everyone, just write a self-insertion Ranma fanfic where you score with half of the cast. But don't try it at the gaming table.

Lem0w3d!

Yeah, I agree. Nothing messes up a game more than someone being too attached to their character. A *game*, by the nature of being a game, includes the possibility of failure. If there is never a reasonably threatening possibility of failure which the players must apply themselves to overcome or minimize then it's no longer a game.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)

Wow,  This thread has certainly taken more turns than the streets of Laurelhurst in Portland TT.   

Did you ever figure out what you were going to post regarding the original topic? You said you were in the middle of composing something.

Well I kinda did at one time. Seems that a number of the points I was going to bring up, including cross-gender playing, have already been addressed rather thuroughly

As to the whole sexual thing in RPGs, that is a very fine line. If handled well by both the GM and player(s) in question, it can be good for character development. only as long as it does not take centre stage away from a session. For most, if not all my characters, the mission at hand comes first. Their personal life is background. While it affects their outlook and behavior, it is not the sole driving force behind all their actions.

The key is balance. Balance between having a well thought out and colourful character that also is able to contribute to the team's success, be it combat, legwork, technical social, or magical.

Well, gotta go for now, my chime in later.
Arethusa
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Mar 7 2006, 05:44 PM)
QUOTE (Glyph @ Mar 7 2006, 12:43 AM)

If you need an outlet for fantasies where your character never fails and is admired by everyone, just write a self-insertion Ranma fanfic where you score with half of the cast.  But don't try it at the gaming table.

Lem0w3d!

Yeah, I agree. Nothing messes up a game more than someone being too attached to their character. A *game*, by the nature of being a game, includes the possibility of failure. If there is never a reasonably threatening possibility of failure which the players must apply themselves to overcome or minimize then it's no longer a game.

I don't mind attachment to character. Hell, I prefer games in which people are attached to characters (as opposed to either hard simulationist games or slashfests), and I prefer games that are a bit freeform, in which the GM may occasionally mess with roll results if he feels the game, the story, and any plans he may have for theme or narrative or anything else may be better served by it. But the crucial difference is between players being attached to their characters, which is usually a very good thing, and players using their characters as wish fulfilment fantasies through which they vicariously and temporarily conquer their insecurities, inadequacies, and personal failings.

When that happens, you're fucked. It has nothing to do with balance.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Arethusa)

I don't mind attachment to character...I prefer games that are a bit freeform, in which the GM may occasionally mess with roll results if he feels the game, the story, and any plans he may have for theme or narrative or anything else may be better served by it.

See, but the problem is that as soon as you deviate from a strict and consistient application of the rules in the same way each way then you create an environment where there's room for endless complaining if peoples' PCs die. Once you've fudged once or spared someone once you never have a particular reason not to do it again. Combine this with people being attached to their characters and then having someone die just becomes a sticky business.

I guess it depends on what you mean by "attached"; perhaps we're thinking of the word in different ways.

Like, when I read "attached", I imagine someone who has thought of a lot of details about their character and basically dosen't want anything really bad to happen to that character because it would either make the character unplayable or mess up their concept of that character. Like, I remember someone who was really POed when his character SURGED because having a tail or whatever messed with the character concept. There's attachment, right there, but it makes the GM's job harder when there's situations where the rules say that something bad should happen to someone.

On the other hand, if someone thinks of a pretty detailed background for a character but absolutely dosen't care if the character dies, I don't consider that "attachment", since there's no element of trying to hold on to anything. This is how I characterize myself because I believe that for a fiction character death is just as much a part of the story as life.

There's a lot of humor, strategy, and character interaction to be had by a game. But I think that you really have to distance yourself and not care per se about the *character*, but rather approach it all with a "simulationist" mentality. I can role play thinking, "OK, my character's background and personality is this, so how will he react to this", but I can't role play properly if I think, "NOOO, my character's in a bad situation he's unable to negotiate out of, STRESS STRESS". I think that you're only free to really represent a character when ultimately you're willing to sacrifice that character at the snap of a finger because it means you can follow your character concept to any conclusion at any time.
Arethusa
SURGE is a terrible example, honestly. It was a shitty idea, and I think just about everyone had a right to be pissed when their characters grew tails and bunny ears. It simply should never have happened.

When I say attached, I mean personally empathizing with the character, or at least extremely interested in that character developing interestingly. I don't have a problem with people being bothered when bad things happen to a character they care about. I'd be unhappy too if a good character died randomly and ingloriously in the middle of a fight. And I would actually prefer that the GM mess with rolls (behind the scenes and without anyone's knowledge, I should specify) if that death would not really result in an interesting game, or at least in the game going in places he isn't interested in taking it.

The difference is that with characters that function as wish fulfilment for their players, they aren't attached to the character as I mean. They are the character. When that character succeeds, it validates them. It is a vicarious life. And when that character fails, which is basically guaranteed to happen considering the type of person who needs to do this, they become immediately defensive and angry.

We're not talking about "my character took a fluke burst to the head; I am unhappy." This is a pretty reasonable reaction, and, as I said, if the game is worse for it, it might be worth it to not let the character die without the player's knowledge.

What we are talking about is basically this: "WHAT DO YOU MEAN I'M GOING TO DIE. I THOUGHT THAT WAS A GREAT IDEA. WELL MY CHARACTER HAS A 6 INTELLIGENCE. HE NEVER WOULD HAVE DONE THAT." If you have never experienced this, you are enourmously lucky. Whether the insane decision is to buy expensive chocolate for the Johnson right before a mission or to try and track down a Johnson all alone because I AM THE HERO or to try and molest a Stuffer Shack attendant because I AM THE LESBIAN, it doesn't matter. These aren't real characters. They don't develop. They don't change. They're basically pornographic wish fulfilment avatars.
emo samurai
Does character detail qualify as mary sue type characters? Like the cynical Nietzchean mage dude I proposed. Would he be be classified as such? Because I like to micromanage every detail of his life, but not in a way that makes him OMGCOOL.
Glyph
QUOTE (emo samurai)
Does character detail qualify as mary sue type characters? Like the cynical Nietzchean mage dude I proposed. Would he be be classified as such?

Not really. Mary Sues are characters who are perfect in every way and liked by everyone. They also tend to be similar to their creators in many ways. They are basically the author inserting himself/herself into the story as a protagonist who relegates everyone else to a secondary role. There are other types of self-insertion characters - all-powerful godboys, brooding angsters, and so on, but they all are basically avatars of the author.

From reading about your character, I don't think he sounds like a Mary Sue. You were pretty open to changes to the character, and didn't have a problem trying something else when you realized that a previous idea had problems. But if you are worried, simply ask yourself some questions about how you would play this character. If some other character took issue with your character's philosopy, would you take it personally? If the focus of the story shifted to one of the other characters for awhile, would you be impatient to get the focus back on your own character? Would you sulk every time that a plan of yours failed, a social skill didn't work, or a spell failed? If the answers are mostly negative to those questions, then I don't think you have to worry about being a Mary Sue.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Arethusa)

The difference is that with characters that function as wish fulfilment for their players, they aren't attached to the character as I mean. They are the character. When that character succeeds, it validates them. It is a vicarious life. And when that character fails, which is basically guaranteed to happen considering the type of person who needs to do this, they become immediately defensive and angry.

We're not talking about "my character took a fluke burst to the head; I am unhappy." This is a pretty reasonable reaction, and, as I said, if the game is worse for it, it might be worth it to not let the character die without the player's knowledge.

What we are talking about is basically this: "WHAT DO YOU MEAN I'M GOING TO DIE. I THOUGHT THAT WAS A GREAT IDEA. WELL MY CHARACTER HAS A 6 INTELLIGENCE. HE NEVER WOULD HAVE DONE THAT." If you have never experienced this, you are enourmously lucky. Whether the insane decision is to buy expensive chocolate for the Johnson right before a mission or to try and track down a Johnson all alone because I AM THE HERO or to try and molest a Stuffer Shack attendant because I AM THE LESBIAN, it doesn't matter. These aren't real characters. They don't develop. They don't change. They're basically pornographic wish fulfilment avatars.

So, like a Knights of the Dinner Table character?
Arethusa
I didn't know what that was until I just googled it, so I can't really say.
Wounded Ronin
Well, no discussion about gender and society in role playing games would be complete without a link to Nisarg's blog. Below is actually a comment someone made on one of his entries.

I was actually pretty weirded out by this comment, as I've never seen anything (in my personal experience) to corroborate it. Is the commentator totally delusional, or am I just living in a bubble?

As for women and roleplaying:  More than theoretically, women prefer to keep their competetive behavior on a different, more subdued level than men. Wether this is purely a cultural or a biological artifact is unclear, with the bias being towards biological.  There is also a very real difference in how 'personal and emotional drama' is handled between genders.  Typically, when dealing with a mixed gender group, the tendency is for the minority members to have to adopt protective behaviors, becoming 'one of the guys' or 'a nice guy' to avoid being ostracized.  Gaming is a male dominated hobby, and many female gamers do fine aping male behavior patterns, but the rise of feminism, particularly feminism focused on tearing down 'male archetypes', leads to women who refuse to ape male behavior, and instead wish to make all men ape female behavior, a la the 'nice guy' mold.  They do this without regard for others.  Naturally some of these women appear in teh RPG community, and rather than adopting the protective camoflage, or alternatively using their feminine whiles (the spider queen mentality), they wish to push their behavior standards on the men.  It could be, in the Borg's case, that she merely wants to make RPG's that appeal to a limited subset of gamers (women and the already feminized men...or more accurately, gamers that think like she does), but Nikchick, from what little I've seen (Blue Rose....a couple of blog/forum entries) seems to be the more radical 'you must conform to MY ideals' mindset.
SL James

Wow.
Arethusa
Um.

This is by far some of the most breathlessly vapid garbage I've ever seen stumble out of a blog.

Whiskey, tango, foxtrot, over.
Vegas
Ok, I'll give them that some women are refusing to "ape" male behaviour...

I refuse to scratch my non-existant nuts just to "fit in" biggrin.gif
warrior_allanon
ROTFLMAO
rotfl.gif
that person has been banned, fought and exiled from so many D20 forums it isnt funny. He is a troll, he does things for the point of getting attention, and enjoys picking fights particularly in the "Blue Rose" forums.
mfb
you gotta watch them women. they'll use wiles on you at the drop of a hat.
emo samurai
The only female gamers I've seen have either been very practical, intelligent, or, in a single, isolated, newby case, completely incapable of understanding the rules. The last case is probably not indicative of about 99% of female gamers.

A girl at my college is running two Shadowrun games; one is puzzle-oriented, with mostly girls, and another is fighting oriented, with mostly dudes. She is obviously more than capable of running both kinds.
Arethusa
I'm plenty civilized. You're using wiles on me.
Vegas
QUOTE (mfb)
you gotta watch them women. they'll use wiles on you at the drop of a hat.

And if the wiles don't work.. we resort to b00bies.
hyzmarca
b00bies....they're like nuclear weapons only deadlier.

It is true that males and females of the species, particularly when associating in packs, tend to handle conflict in different ways but always towards the same end.

Generally, packs of adolescent boys observed in their natural habitat attack their prey directly. On the other hand, groups of girls in their natural habitat are more likely to take an indirect and subtle aproach that involves social attacks.

However, it must be noted that these observations apply primarilary to adolescents in single-gender packs and do not apply to adults, adolecents alone, or adolecents in mixed gendered packs or mating groups.

So, in short, while Nisarg's opinion may have some merit in some situations, when the statement is taken as a whole and in general it becomes clear that this poster has been smoking something.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (emo samurai)
The only female gamers I've seen have either been very practical, intelligent, or, in a single, isolated, newby case, completely incapable of understanding the rules. The last case is probably not indicative of about 99% of female gamers.

A girl at my college is running two Shadowrun games; one is puzzle-oriented, with mostly girls, and another is fighting oriented, with mostly dudes. She is obviously more than capable of running both kinds.

The "puzzle" game definitely sounds like my kind of campaign. Pretty much the way I like to write my adventure scenarios. Lots of subtle clues to pick up on which can be a help "down the road".

(ohh, that's what that abbreviation on the matchbook meant...!)
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
QUOTE (emo samurai)

The "puzzle" game definitely sounds like my kind of campaign. Pretty much the way I like to write my adventure scenarios. Lots of subtle clues to pick up on which can be a help "down the road".

(ohh, that's what that abbreviation on the matchbook meant...!)

I laughed when I read this post because in my experience I have *never* had any player, regardless of gender, ever pick up on any sort of clues or anything like that. Years ago I learned that clues don't work; I must spell everything out. Stuff that seems like it can be puzzled out in the mind of the GM just dosen't seem to work with people who aren't the GM.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012