Full Version: Recruitment (sorta): SR4 Ganger Game
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
nick012000
Except for the cyberware. nyahnyah.gif

How about this:

Cyber:
Skillwires 3
Internal Commlink (Hermes Ikon, modified for HotSim, w/ Novatech Navi OS)
Muscle Replacement 1
Reaction Enhancers 1

Gear:
Monofilament Sword
Forearm Snap-blades
AK-97 Carbine w/ Internal Smartlink, and Gas Vent 3
Lined Coat
Rating 3 Activesofts x2
Mirrorshades w/ Image Link, Smartlink, and Flare Compensation
Earbud w/ Hearing Enhancement 3
Headphones w/ Spacial Recognizer
Squatter Lifestyle (1 month)
2 30-round magazines of AK-97 ammo

Qualities:
Moderate Addiction (BTLs) (-10 BP)
Sensative Neural Structure (-5 BP)
Scorched (-5 BP)

If you want more stuff, take up to 15 more points in negative qualities (the maximum). Every 5 points will net you anoth 12,500 nuyen.gif to spend on stuff. Most of it would probably be spend on activesofts and more ammo.

Spend your starting money on BTLs.
MK Ultra
Uhm, I allready did the basic gear for TR days ago.

I mean, just in case nobody noticed (or I fraged up the editing somehow, or just have delusions, which could well be, with no more then 6 hours of sleep wink.gif). But feel free to change them anyway.
Silo
QUOTE (Thanee)
4) Armor Jacket 900¥ (needs Body 4+) or Lined Coat 700¥ (needs Body 3+)

Huh? There is a Body req to wear different armor types?

Ah, that is crap. Just found the rule on p. 149. It is like the rules don't take in to account that armored jackets come in different sizes.

I mean what the hell...they don't make a small or a medium?

@TG

I don't really want a lined "coat" can I wear a lesser jacket with coat stats? I just don't want the long coat look.

Instead of decreasing the cost, can I buy a jacket with ratings 6/6 for the same 900? Obliviously this would be some sort of custom deal...or just accounting for the limited gear in the core book.
nick012000
QUOTE (MK Ultra)
Uhm, I allready did the basic gear for TR days ago.

I mean, just in case nobody noticed (or I fraged up the editing somehow, or just have delusions, which could well be, with no more then 6 hours of sleep wink.gif). But feel free to change them anyway.

That was in response to Thanee's post. wink.gif
TinkerGnome
QUOTE (Silo)
Instead of decreasing the cost, can I buy a jacket with ratings 6/6 for the same 900? Obliviously this would be some sort of custom deal...or just accounting for the limited gear in the core book.

Sure. The Urban Explorer has those stats for only 500, but it's avail 8. So 900 for the jacket sounds fair.
Silo
thanks.
Silo
@TG

Another quick question that I forgot to ask the other day. Was there a limit on the amount of dice we can roll or something?

My full unarmed melee defense is 16 (specialization in Parrying)...is that supposedly too much?
TinkerGnome
The rull of thumb is 12 dice for an action being where it starts to get above the power level. A full defense is not limited by this, really, since you're not really "powerful" because of it. You're just resilient.

Unrelated note, if anyone has tried out the Redbrick Earthdawn Classic and wants to join in a small game, I know of one on RPOL.net that's looking for one more player. Let me know and I'll point you to it (or you can go looking for it, it's not that hard to find).
WinterRat1
Egads! Leave the boards for two days and we've got new players, characters, and all sorts of other stuff everywhere I turn! I will finish Shade and his background today.

That includes thoughts of all the new characters, updated thoughts of old characters, and background story filled out. For those of you whose backgrounds are tightly tied with mine (Toy Robot and China Doll to name two), if there's any issues with what I write, just let me know and we'll hammer it out.

Look for it later tonight/tomorrow, and feel free to comment and I'll adjust accordingly.

To the new players, it's great having you onboard, looking forward to having you join us!
Silo
QUOTE (WinterRat1)
Egads! Leave the boards for two days and we've got new players, characters, and all sorts of other stuff everywhere I turn! I will finish Shade and his background today.

That includes thoughts of all the new characters, updated thoughts of old characters, and background story filled out. For those of you whose backgrounds are tightly tied with mine (Toy Robot and China Doll to name two), if there's any issues with what I write, just let me know and we'll hammer it out.

Look for it later tonight/tomorrow, and feel free to comment and I'll adjust accordingly.

To the new players, it's great having you onboard, looking forward to having you join us!

And don't miss the fact that the IC thread is up and we are ROLLING!!!!!
HeySparky
I did a somewhat major overhaul of JCS. He's much more an unskilled guy with more all around potential (better attributes, big edge). And I *sniff* ditched Guts and all of High Pain Tolerance. I also, just to give him some decent skills, had to shortchange the points I was contributing to group contacts.

Speaking of which...

GROUP CONTACTS...

We really REALLY need to consolidate the overlap between personal and group contacts. We have tons of points but they appear to be being squandered on redundant contacts. We have a lot of 1/1s and a few 2/2s.. I don't know about you guys, but I really think we need--
C/L Job
3/5-6 Fixer
3/5-6 Doc
1-3/1-4 Backup Fixer

Various Dealers
1-3/1-4 Dealer - Weapons
1-3/1-4 Dealer - Drugs/BTLs
1-3/1-4 Dealer - Pimp
1-3/1-4 Dealer - Info

Various others
1-3/1-6 Law Enforcement
1-3/1-6 Rest of the points on a bunch of cool neighborhood personalities (Oscar, Bulk)
Rokur
I agree, but isn't a fixer's main job to be our one stop shop for all equipment including weapons?

Also, I had Nexus down as a Fence not a fixer, mainly someone to sell chop shop wares to.
HeySparky
All I'm saying is that we need to consolidate. We have too many random, poorly connected contacts.

They could stand a good looking at.
MK Ultra
I´m totally on your side. I´d still sugest making Officer Grogg (-/1) a friend of a friend and the middle man to the gang of Captain Robot Yi/Uncle Bob (3/6) and put this point on another contact.
Allso we should considder leaving either Treeno or Rahim out for now. We can still try to win them as regular contacts later.
HeySparky
Actually, I like Treeno as a contact, since his place is one of our hang-outs.

But it's up to Auran/Rokur about Grogg, isn't it?

EDIT: Wait... MK, isn't Officer Yi a personal contact? He's not part of this equation if so.
MK Ultra
Yes, hes personal. I thought this doesn´t metter this much.

If I´d really understand, what the difference of group vs personal is (besids sharing points), I may have Uncle Bob introduced to Auran and thereby making him a group contact. But as I dont know, what effects this would have, I´m a bit reluctant.
HeySparky
It's perfectly fine to keep Robot Yi personal (and it actaully seems he's more appropriate as a personal contact), but this means we don't have a law enforcement contact... which leaves us Grogg. We could all know you have an uncle and that his subordiate is the gruff, corrupt IA cop that Auran knows and who has looked the other way for us.

Wouldn't a beat cop or a detective be more useful to us than an IA guy...?
Rokur
We can change the role of Officer Grogg. The only reason why I like IA is so that they won't be "found" as easily as a contact, but we can change him to an undercover, or local beat cop if desired. But, I was thikning a cop may be beneficial for the gang. And also, I believe all personal contacts should be only personal contacts. I'm not going to use my contact to look up info you guys need, unless you're gonna put up the money for it. I don't expect anyone to know I even have my personal contact.
HeySparky
Is grogg personal or group?
Jaid
i just feel the need to point out...

we're a gang. and a new one at that. we're not shadowrunners. we're not even an established gang. why would we know a fixer with high connection ? why would he feel any loyalty to us, as a group?

i personally feel that, as a new gang, having a lot of somewhat loyal connections makes a lot more sense than having a few extremely loyal connections. we haven't really been around long enough as a gang for someone to become a lifelong friend, because the gang has only been around for a month or two, tops.

but that's just the way i see it.
Rokur
group... my personal contact is on my char sheet if u wanna know about him.
HeySparky
I see your point, but I think we need to max at least a couple.
Jaid
ok, just a thought on this, was thinking to myself "hey, it would be nice if we had some building maps/layouts. so i got to trying to put something together (just threw the link onto the main page, hope no one minds... feel free to move it if you do).

anyways, i tried out an experimental map idea here. Feel free to comment or whatever, and please someone do a better job than i did =P

basically, it's just something to get an idea for what our buildings look like and such...
Silo
Especially the dealers...I don't care if they are loyal to us or not. Hell, any of you going to be loyal to one of our "dealers"?

The reasoning on a fixer could be that they came from the neighborhood. Of course, we probably need to not use that excuse for everyone.

I don't care what is worked out. I'll leave it up to you folks that donated more BP than me.
MK Ultra
While Jaid´s point is somehow valid, there are some contacts, that have only put a single point in them, and others, that have 2, so thats 1/1, were they maybe should have a conection rating of 2 or even three, to fit the description.
Jaid
well, ok then... i guess i can pull the ork underground contact (no one seems to be picking up on the idea at all) to a personal one, and i will contribute the 2 BP previously spent on a junkyard owner towards a different group contact.
HeySparky
It's not that no one's picking up on the idea, it's that there's no discussion. At least not one that I've followed. The contacts page is a mess. smile.gif I blame myself.
HeySparky
Also, made JCS into a dj instead of a drummer, that way his musical interests can be the backdrop for gang shindigs instead of 'that infernal noise'. Though there are probably some who will still feel that way. smile.gif
Mister Juan
Which makes me think that organizing a party could be a very interesting venture in game wink.gif All that stuff to steal!
Jaid
well, if someone else wants to pick him up as a group contact, i've clarified some of the details for him. anyways, we now have up to 5 points in one fixer (that's enough for L2/C3, not bad at all), so that's our catchall.

don't have much in the way of the specific dealers built up though.

or, if the group prefers, i could drop the 2 points in Graham instead, beef up his connection rating, and make him a group contact L2/C3 instead of flyby (who, apart from being in the ork underground, is practically the same idea...)

anyways, any comments on the ASCII map idea?
TinkerGnome
Feel free to sketch up the maps in ASCII as you need to. I will be doing them in Visio or Fractal Mapper when I feel the urge.
Jaid
QUOTE (TinkerGnome @ Mar 18 2006, 05:36 PM)
Feel free to sketch up the maps in ASCII as you need to.  I will be doing them in Visio or Fractal Mapper when I feel the urge.

well, if you have a place to host the images (or if the wiki site accepts images and i just don't know about it) then that will probably work best. looking at the map i threw together, i can't help noticing the walls are all 1 m thick... which is a little fishy, i think =P

so anyways, if i had a better idea what i was doing, i'd probably draw something up (it's nice to have a visual representation is all) =P

were you planning on looking over any more characters any time soon TG? if not, it's not a problem, i'm just wondering if i should worry about keeping an eye on the site to check or not =P
Rokur
QUOTE (ES_Sparky)
GROUP CONTACTS...

We really REALLY need to consolidate the overlap between personal and group contacts. We have tons of points but they appear to be being squandered on redundant contacts. We have a lot of 1/1s and a few 2/2s.. I don't know about you guys, but I really think we need--
C/L Job
3/5-6 Fixer
3/5-6 Doc
1-3/1-4 Backup Fixer

Various Dealers
1-3/1-4 Dealer - Weapons
1-3/1-4 Dealer - Drugs/BTLs
1-3/1-4 Dealer - Pimp
1-3/1-4 Dealer - Info

Various others
1-3/1-6 Law Enforcement
1-3/1-6 Rest of the points on a bunch of cool neighborhood personalities (Oscar, Bulk)

I agree with this, and to help clean it up, maybe we should appoint a group contact team? maybe consisting of major contributors (5+) and tinkergnome? this way, not everyone with 2 points puts it into a new contact that is redundant etc.

Here's my suggestions for points
Name - role - con/loy
Flyby - fixer - 3/5 - knows the gang, the gang's major source of "imports" and has had repeated business with us

____ - fixer - 3/1 - well connected man, that has met some of the gang and has worked with us in the past.

Dr. Blue - street doc - 2/4 - knows the gang well, does the routine maintenance of most of our cybered members, has a history with us.

Nexus - fence - 2/2 - once was center of attention and has now settled down in Seattle, He stil maintains some old contacts, and has worked with our gang a few times in the past.

sgt. stryker -weapons dealer - 1/1 - as GC page

Oskar the grouch -street bum- 1/1 - He remembers our faces, but not our names, We're not sure if he says that to everyone, but he'll help us out for a buck.

Treeno - BTL dealer/Fun Zo e owner - 2/3 - Owner of Fun Zo e, and knows a few people in the BTL trade, remains loyal to us, as we are most of his regulars.

Rahim Mehta - Drug dealer - 1/1 - Owner of a pharmacy, this guy knows our names and our faces. He's purely in it for the business, and couldn't care to know more than how much we owe him.

That's 32 points spent there. It's a good number of contacts, 4 being local as i can tell, we've got plenty of people to shop through for any number of things. If we'd like to change some and make some our more direct contact than that's fine. The way it's set up is that we basically buy EVERYTHING from flyby : weapons, drugs, btls, alcohol, gear, vehicles etc. Then if he's not able to get it, we call up the other contacts.

As of now, all of our contacts are for materialistic needs, and a street doc. We don't have any informants, any actual gang friends, or any "Inside" men anywhere. That being said, maybe we should work out what we'd need as a gang in order for us to get group contacts. Remember group contacts are meant so that ANYONE in the gang can call them and will use them.

PS I left the talismonger off deliberately, since it was mentioned as only a shared contact between 2 people and not a group contact.
HeySparky
That looks good, Rokur.

I totally agree with you on the contacts team, too many cooks not enough indians and all that jazz.

Depending on what TG says about JCS I may be able to unloot my contribution to the group contact fund. We'll see. I have 4pts left unaccounted for (unless my math is off) and I may be able to put that toward the contacts. I would like to.
Rokur
QUOTE (ES_Sparky)
too many cooks not enough indians and all that jazz.

HAHAHAHAHA!
I think I know what that means, wait, uh... hmm... let me twiddle my thumbs a bit on THAT one!
lots of cooks, few indians, and lots of jazz. OK.... DEFINITELY LOST ME! (but yea... i get the point somehow)
HeySparky
You know the phrases... 'Too many chiefs not enough indians' and 'Too many cooks in the kitchen' ? I like to smash them together.

Another version... Too many chiefs in the kitchen. Which is nice because of the chef/chief play. smile.gif
TinkerGnome
I'll be reviewing characters over the weekend. I want to be done with a full review cycle by tomorrow night.

@Jaid

The easiest thing to do is use www.imageshack.us to host the images. Works pretty well and it's free.
MK Ultra
They´r fare from compleet, but I put up the 50Q for TF, as far as I got.
Jaid
hmmm... not sure about this now... but it looks like flyby may have been intended as a specific contact for neo and auran?

wasn't marked with 'N', but i think it may have been intended as just there's anyways, not sure.

if they object, i can reopen Graham, make him connection 2/loyal 2 (loyal 1 higher with electrode... almost 10 years more knowing someone's gotta count for something, you know =P) with just points from Electrode instead, and any further building on could go from there... as i mentioned earlier, he's a very similar contact. I didn't really call him a fixer per se, because i don't think of him as such (for example, i don't see him so much giving out jobs to runners), but he basically performs most of the functions of a fixer otherwise (and if it came down to it, he could potentially farm out jobs from his old buddies and thus be sort of a johnson and a fixer...)

so yeah, if anyone complains about flyby being used as a group contact, i can do that too. prefer going with flyby though, mainly because flyby has more points built up than putting my points into graham would do...
Dranem
Just out of curiosity.. In the compiled section of the wiki, wouldn't it make sense to combine the posts by location, then by time.. so that each location has it's own chronological page? This would make it faster for people in one particular location to read back on events there. Related actions are easy enough to anchor tag and cross link for quickly cross-referencing things like the two sides of commcall and e-mail message conversations.

Let me know if you guys all like the idea, I got the next couple of days coming up off, so I can juggle the posts around and get them recompiled.
Mister Juan
Well, yes, you could do it both ways. I just started like that because its simpler to do, and read. If you want to do a "per place" page, all you have to do is cut up the linear combined timeline.
Dranem
Shhh! It's suppose to sound complicated! wink.gif
But, yeah, that's basically all I need to do, and the wiki actually makes it pretty easy.. colour codes would be nice, but that's the artist in me...
Mister Juan
I had started doing it out of habit (I already do it for LitS), but if you really feel like doing the compiling work, knock yourself out.
HeySparky
Rock the Vote. If it matters, I'd rather a goofy nickname than a standard one.
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (ES_Sparky)
Rock the Vote. If it matters, I'd rather a goofy nickname than a standard one.

I voted for Colonel for the same reason a friend of mine ended up with that nickname. Once you get shot, it's obvious that you're some kind of decorated war veteran even if you aren't.

(A friend of mine got shot in the foot by a mugger, and people ended up calling him "The Colonel" ever since.)

That, and he's named Santiago, which makes for an obscure Alpha Centauri reference.

-Frank
MK Ultra
I´d vote on Col. too, if nobody else likes Ashtray. Though I´d really like the sarcastic reference to his past. Know, gangers don´t cry, so they´ve got to make jokes about thair misery. It´s the same with Toy Robot.
MK Ultra
Put up a Poll on gang symbol and color (I´d like to know, what I have had tatooed on TF´s ass).
Rokur
Flyby was meant to be a group contact. I just kinda wrote in a little story when I first put him up in there, If you would like to use the group contact points on your contact and have a fixer more fleshed out, please feel free to edit/enhance the wiki.
Wounded Ronin
It looks like I've gotten two suggestions for gear. Since I don't know the SR4 rules I decided I should ask for people's opinions about which package I should go with.

Either

GEAR:
So here we go, it´s not much, but I think that fits her bg.
Squatter Lifestyle, 1 Month (500)
Survival Knife (50)
Sword, maybe machet-style (350)
AK-97 carabine SMG, w/ 120 rounds regular, 3 spare clips (655)
Streetline Special, w/ 4 rounds flechete (140)
Armored Vest (600)
3 Flash-Bang granades (90)
3 Thermal Smoke granades (105)
Pepper Punch (5)

Datajack, 0.1 (500)
Skillwires I, 0.2 (2.000)

OR

Cyber:
Skillwires 3
Internal Commlink (Hermes Ikon, modified for HotSim, w/ Novatech Navi OS)
Muscle Replacement 1
Reaction Enhancers 1

Gear:
Monofilament Sword
Forearm Snap-blades
AK-97 Carbine w/ Internal Smartlink, and Gas Vent 3
Lined Coat
Rating 3 Activesofts x2
Mirrorshades w/ Image Link, Smartlink, and Flare Compensation
Earbud w/ Hearing Enhancement 3
Headphones w/ Spacial Recognizer
Squatter Lifestyle (1 month)
2 30-round magazines of AK-97 ammo

Qualities:
Moderate Addiction (BTLs) (-10 BP)
Sensative Neural Structure (-5 BP)
Scorched (-5 BP)

(Thanks to nick for this very thought-out equipment list)
MK Ultra
Well, the letter is obviously more powerfull, but on the other hand, it comes with some disadvantages. I had just avoided thees, becaus you did not fespond to my question, if you´d like any Flaws (in the SR3 sense).
So, it´s your choice, if you want a character, that has little cyber, but no aditional disadvantages or that loads quiet a bit of cyber, but is Addicted (selfexplanatory, but unlike SR3, you wont die of it in short order), Scorched (BTL-damage, that causes less resistance to BTL-Addiction/use and Simsense-Damage) and has Sensitive Neural Structure (less resistance to Simsense damage and Dumpshock).
Both options are perfectly valid and fit the BG IMO, so chose the one you like. I don´t know which one I´d chose, it depends on the type of character you like to play.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012