Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question, where do Runners meet?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
PBTHHHHT
QUOTE (Butterblume)
Where runners drink met? Valhalla, most likely.

SCNR.

Those are for Dead Runners.

For those runners who've been caught, some of them are either drinking their beef stew through a straw in some lonely ICU or they're drinking their hooch that they brewed in their jail cell toilet trying to lose themselves in their drink before their cellmate, Bubba the Love Troll, starts feeling frisky again. nyahnyah.gif
SL James
Wouldn't most runners have good enough unarmed skills to whip Bubba's ass?

Or be smart enough to buy him some other bitch?
Dissonance
Some runners get the special operation to turn their buttholes into those things from Return of the Jedi.
SL James
Or that...
Fresno Bob
Sarlacc.
eidolon
QUOTE (Deadjester)
As for the mom comment, I kind of liked that, made me feel young and in school again, thanks!

Some buddies and I have taken to unearthing jabs from the golden days of...middle school. It's loads of fun. It also makes me wonder what kids are saying to each other these days. I gather that whatever it is, it's usually followed by "Snap", as demonstrated in the following short instructional clip:

A demonstration of the proper usage of "Snap"
Dranem
QUOTE (Signal @ Mar 27 2006, 09:47 PM)
For example:
A professional is hired to steal data from an office. He does this by breaking into the office, going to where the data is kept, and makes a secretary open up the safe and hand it over to him at gunpoint. Then he just leaves. (For the sake of argument, assume he's wearing a mask so he doesn't have to worry about being identified later)

A true professional will break into the office after hours so that he has the least chance to encounter anyone. Will covertly access the files, and possibly glean some paydata for sale to other prospects without warning the target that he was ever on location.

(You're daytime gunman will most likely not make it out the front door as the receptionist will be hitting the panic button the moment he turns his back)
mfb
oh, for pete's sake. not another argument about what "professional" means.
hyzmarca
Being a professional isn't all its cracked up to be. They loose olympic eligibility and in unpopular sports like Breaking and Entering an Olympic appearance can be spun off into promotion deals far more easily than an entire professional career can be.
Signal
QUOTE (Dranem @ Mar 28 2006, 11:40 PM)
(You're daytime gunman will most likely not make it out the front door as the receptionist will be hitting the panic button the moment he turns his back)

That actually wasn't the point of my post. Arguing over the best method to go about stealing a disk is another subject entirely that we could spend eons going back-and-forth over.

The examples I made up were not intended to be "the best" way of going about anything. They merely illustrate that (in my own humble opinion) a pro does the job he's paid to do while a criminal does whatever the hell he wants to.
Clyde
Where does a troll with wired reflexes 3 and an Ingram White Knight drink?

wink.gif
Signal
QUOTE (Clyde)
Where does a troll with wired reflexes 3 and an Ingram White Knight drink?

wink.gif

Wherever the hell he wants to? nyahnyah.gif
Ankle Biter
My runner group needed a place to sink some spare cash, so we built "the proving ground" somewhere in the seattle slums. Essentially it was an old warehouse converted into a fitness club for practicing paralegal skills like "carrying a corp over one shoulder while firing a Reuger thundrbold over the other". Of course by this point in the campaign our bills were of the order of a million nuyen each per run, and we were taking on alerted military bunkers. Fun times.
PBTHHHHT
QUOTE (Ankle Biter)
My runner group needed a place to sink some spare cash, so we built "the proving ground" somewhere in the seattle slums. Essentially it was an old warehouse converted into a fitness club for practicing paralegal skills like "carrying a corp over one shoulder while firing a Reuger thundrbold over the other". Of course by this point in the campaign our bills were of the order of a million nuyen each per run, and we were taking on alerted military bunkers. Fun times.

Start providing training for all other wanna-be runners and gangers for a price, and have one of your characters call himself 'Taskmaster' and you're set.
Ophis
Yeah that was a good campaign, the characters in my current SR4 game have used "the training facility" a couple of times...

On the subjecy of runner hangouts, I use a bar named Riks place near whatever passes as Seattles china town, run by a fixer called Barman. He employs some of the best there is (ie Anklebiters group, they really were scary though in youthful exuberance I did over pay them a lot) so people don't mess him up, several teams he fixes for (is that the verb?) drink there so I find it a cool central meet/social point.
Shrike30
Modern-day Seattle's "Chinatown" would be the International District... it's not got the "omg pagoda" construction thing going on, but when you head to the south end of downtown (just north of the stadiums) you've got an area that's about 5 x 8 blocks where you've got a pretty solid asian-ethnic bloc. As you head over the ridge to the east (12th avenue is the top of the (small) ridge) it narrows down a bit, until it essentially stops existing at a weird 5-way intersection where Rainier Ave becomes Boren Ave.

Lots of neat hole-in-the-wall places to eat, dentists advertising in languages I can't read, and convenience stores selling all sorts of interesting stuff I didn't grow up with, in addition to a (very) few semi-abandoned buildings and the entire city block that is now the Ouajimaya center (enormous grocery store that has expanded into having apartments/condos built on top).
SL James
Heh. Kind of like the "Chinatown" in L.A. or D.C.

As opposed to L.A.'s Koreatown, which is just... It's like a mini-Seoul just off downtown.
NightHaunter
In 3rd edition I had a bar/diner under I-5 in Tacoma called Location X, which served as a good runner haunt. However in 4th Ed it is under new Management. A big fella by the name of Torgo, so unfortunatly the bar has developed a severe bias against elves.

Haven't designed a replacement "elf friendly" runner haunt yet.
PBTHHHHT
QUOTE (SL James)
Heh. Kind of like the "Chinatown" in L.A. or D.C.

As opposed to L.A.'s Koreatown, which is just... It's like a mini-Seoul just off downtown.

Yeah, the place called 'chinatown' in DC currently really isn't much of a chinatown from what I've seen and what I've learned from my relatives and other chinese folks. It's all national chain stores and boutiques with some chinese letters also on the front of the store. Most of the ethnic stores and such are now outside in the suburbs of DC. You'll find pockets of strip malls that are all either chinese, or korean, or what have you. It's the usual story when you have an ethnic group that gets older, and also embraces assimilation. Still, there are pockets like NYC chinatown which is really established and there one can get by without needing english.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012