Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Force 10 Manaballs
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Butterblume
We always played that indirect elemental spells hit everything in the range. I am not really sure, but wasn't that in the rules for SR2? *g* (in SR4 i can't find anything supporting this).
Dranem
It's all fine and dandy playing the rule of averages..
You're overcasting mage is pretty much a one-trick pony... Not being able to do much else. Once you cast your big cablouey, and take physical damage in drain, you're pretty much useless if you come across any other opposition.

And the one biggest thing to remember: the one time your overcasting mage glitches, you might as well be digging the grave for them. There are no resurrection spells in SR.
Apathy
I'm mostly saying this to see if I understand the rules correctly, so somebody correct me if my comparison is off.
  • SR3 Combat spells are equivalent to SR4 Combat spells that are directly targeted (Powerbolt, Manaball, Stunbolt, etc.). These spells manifest directly on/in the target(s) so the target has no chance to dodge and can't use armor to resist. However, since these spells have to manifest directly into the target's aura, it requires that the mage be able to 'connect' with the target's aura, so if you can't see it, it's not hit.
  • SR3 Damaging Manipulation spells are equivalent to SR4 Combat spells that are indirectly targeted (Lightning Bolt, Fireball, etc.). These spells travel to the target, so the target gets to try and dodge. Additionally, since the spells hits him from the outside, the target gets to use his armor to help him resist the effects. Since these spells do not have to manifest directly into the target's aura, you'd be able to hit targets in the area of effect even if they can't be seen. I'd guess that with a suitable reaction test a bodyguard might be able to throw himself in the path of the bullet, so to speak, and interupt the spells trip to the target (although it would then smack the intervening bodyguard instead).
  • So if you want to shoot around corners, you've got to use an indirect spell,
  • but if you can see the target, a direct spell is probably more efficient.
Is this right? Did I miss something?
James McMurray
That's how it looks to me.
Shrike30
That's how I've always run it, too.
Azralon
Me three, Apathy. That's how we've been reading it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012