Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Which cyberware/bioware
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (El_Machinae)
You're getting paid to study the brain from an engineering perspective? Good for you, then.

What would you say are the limiting factors to the research y'all are involved in? And don't say money. Is there some tech that needs to be developed? More volunteers? Better software? Better hope and moral?

What would help?

Eeeeh, not quite. More like, neurologists want to know X about the brain, but they need device Y to measure things and protocol Z to use it, which consists of how to use the device safely and how to use Y to actually get X. I do Y and Z. The neurologists take X, think big neurologist thoughts, then they process repeats.
This is why I tend to chime in whenever biology, neuroanatomy, or electronics are discussed on these boards.
As for limiting factors: Money is always going to be on the list, but it's not at the top. Not directly, anyway. Barring the extreme, I can get anything I need...eventually. That's part of the problem. I feel like I spend too much time waiting for stuff. I'm not sure what the solution would be, though. I have a pretty complete electronics shop at my fingertips, but I just can't realistically get National Instruments' entire product line just in case I need an obscure IC. I often don't know what I'll need until work comes to a screeching halt for lack of it. The only real solution to that is multiple projects, which I have. When one is waiting for something, I go to another. Beaurocrazy can be a nightmare, too, since getting approval for things can be pretty nasty. Not so much on the mouse projects, but the human ones it's really hard. But it can't realistically be sped up without compromising human safety.
Overall, I feel that in my little corner of the universe research is going pretty well. It's just a long, long road comprised of teensy little steps. I'd say the top two things research needs are more bright people actually doing it, and better hope and morale from the generally population wanting it to get done.
Ed_209a
My list:

Datajack
headware memory
Image link ret mod
Encephalon
Math SPU

Enh Articulation
Cerebral Booster
Mnemonic booster
Sleep regulator
Clean metabolism

Nothing dramatic (except for the effective 200IQ I would probably have)

If I had a lifestyle where reflex mods, strength mods, etc, were as usefull as these would be, I probably wouldn't care about Dumpshock, or gaming in general.

Hmm, That is pretty much a textbook decker package. Says a lot about me, I guess.
Tanka
QUOTE (Ed_209a)
If I had a lifestyle where reflex mods, strength mods, etc, were as usefull as these would be, I probably wouldn't care about Dumpshock, or gaming in general.

I'm a martial artist, so I like the sound of the physical mods as much as the mental mods. Doesn't stop me from liking gaming.
ShadowDragon8685
Ed, I took pretty much a package like that, too.

Of course, my "textbook decker package" includes a Smartgun Link and Wired Reflexes 2, but... smile.gif

I believe a decker should be able to hold his own when he gets into a firefight.
Platinum
I find it funny that EM started this same topic 3 years ago ... and people picked the sleep regulator then as well.

Link resurrection
El_Machinae
I find it funny that people remember that I started this thread!

I thought the descriptions would change with SR4 coming out (and a new way of looking at the tech, based on newish rules).
ShadowDragon8685
I think the resounding obvious is clear; people want more time!
El_Machinae
I think people might just want more sleep!

You'll note no one has opted for the longevity treatments (or hinted they would)
Kagetenshi
We're mostly a young crowd here—we've got some quadragenarians, but not too many older than that that I'm aware of. I'd figure fifty or sixty is probably about the time to start thinking in terms of Mr. Leon.

~J
Ed_209a
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)
Ed, I took pretty much a package like that, too.

Of course, my "textbook decker package" includes a Smartgun Link and Wired Reflexes 2, but... smile.gif

I believe a decker should be able to hold his own when he gets into a firefight.

Very true, from a shadowrunner POV.

I guess I should qualify my statement as a "textbook non-criminal decker" package.

I thought about a SG link, but I am a recreational shooter, not a professional one. ie, I don't NEED every round to hit. It is more satisfying if the shot takes a little more practice.
ShadowDragon8685
As I said, I wanted the SGL2 and Wired Reflexes for added personal safety on my college campus. smile.gif
El_Machinae
Remember the OP, though. Any cyberware you take is then by default available to everyone.

So, would you want Wired Reflexes if anyone could have Wired Reflexes? I don't know if I would.

Though I can how the world would be a better place if anyone could have a Sleep Regulator.
Platinum
QUOTE (El_Machinae)
I think people might just want more sleep!

You'll note no one has opted for the longevity treatments (or hinted they would)

I quoted leonization right off ... and I am only 30 .... someone else said they would want it as well. I used to sleep better when I was younger ... so I would kill two birds with 1 stone.
El_Machinae
I missed that - pathetically, I totally missed that.

Weird. (I guess I don't really think of the treatment as leonization for some reason)
tisoz
QUOTE (El_Machinae)
I find it funny that people remember that I started this thread!

They may have just remembered one of the many times the subject came up, did a search, and saw it was you.

I thought the descriptions would change with SR4 coming out (and a new way of looking at the tech, based on newish rules).

I think the responses are based on SR3. If you want reponses based on mainly SR4, perhaps go to the SR4 forum.
KarmaInferno
I would want impenetrable anti-virus/spy/malware protective systems in anything I get.

Can you imagine how fast you'd go insane if you kept getting invasive pop-ups in your mind, all singing the most annoying songs in existance 24/7, 365 days a year?

Karma: Pop-up advertisements are no match for cybercombat. In other words, they'll be sorry if they piss you off. smile.gif

Track the source down to it's host system, swat away their primitive and useless IC like it's nothing, and go to town on their server. smile.gif
hyzmarca
Not if your popups are being carried by an agent who also has a high rating blackhammer. Those spyware/adware/copyprevention programs are going to have better protection than most nuclear missile launch systems.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012