Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Famous runners?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Pallantides
So I just put my buddies through a minor Shadowrunning corporate sponsored tournament (yeah, you heard that right- not very smart runners) and one of the questions that they asked their fixer was if any big names in the biz were going to be there. I drew a blank.

Question is, does anyone have a good list out there of any of more (in)famous runners out there in the shadows (specifically Japanese if there are any)? I've heard of Hatchetman and Matador before, but I don't know anything else about them.
mfb
Hatchetman's a corp-owned cyberzombie, and Matador is a dead merc.
nick012000
Well, Matador is dead as of 2063 (killed by sniper fire), and Hatchetman's probably dead of cancer by 2070.
Pallantides
Ouch. How about the live ones?
the_dunner
The now OOP Prime Runners is pretty much the definitive list you're looking for. Unfortunately, there hasn't been an ebook release of it, and I doubt eBay would get it to you before your next game session. frown.gif
Large Mike

Prime Runners is not only OOP, but hella outdated. As for a list, let's see...

FastJack (Decker)
Sally Tsung (Mage, long time ago, prolly retired.)
Argent (Sam)

Just a couple off the top of my head.
Ancient History
QUOTE (the_dunner @ Mar 28 2006, 01:32 AM)
The now OOP Prime Runners is pretty much the definitive list you're looking for.

Probably not. Despite the title, most of the old favorites don't show up there.
Backgammon
Here is a list of "core shadowtalkers"
SL James
QUOTE (the_dunner @ Mar 27 2006, 07:32 PM)
The now OOP Prime Runners is pretty much the definitive list you're looking for.  Unfortunately, there hasn't been an ebook release of it, and I doubt eBay would get it to you before your next game session.  frown.gif

Only if "definitive" means "contains those the furthest from being prime runners."

There's a motherfucking great dragon in there! And, wait, no... Not one actual "shadowrunner" unless you are generous and count the elven combat mage and the rigger/mechanic.

That list, btw, is full of teh crazy.
Synner
QUOTE (Backgammon)
Here is a list of "core shadowtalkers"

Note that a lot of those are new faces. You've still got some old standbys active but many of the core shadowtalkers are a new generation of runners who made a name for themselves or became better known following the Crash2.0.
Paul
I always loved the idea of famous secret criminals.
HMHVV Hunter
That list is a joke as far as 3rd Ed. goes.

Here's what I can remember in terms of who posts on Shadowland alot.

-Argent - street sam, presumably ex-military
-Fastjack - God of the Matrix
-Silicon Mage - Mage; tends to weigh in on magical theory
-Slamm-O! - anti-racist decker, very immature
-Socio Pat - often weighs in on social issues, usually anti-meta racism
-Martin DeVries - vampire hunter extraordinaire, also a vampire himself
-Crescent Moon - unknown runner type, mostly posts on issues relating to the Middle East. Rabid Muslim fundamentalist
-The Chromed Accountant - knowledgeable on economic issues, often weighs in on corporate issues
-Pyramid Watcher - biggest source on Aztechnology on Shadowland
-Conspir-I-See - Sees several layers into situations; theories tend to be at least somewhat plausible, unlike Lone Gunman's.
-Lone Gunman - Quintessential conspiracy theorist. Theories are waaaaaay out there
-Bung - resident wisecracker
-Prime Runner - Ultimate mercenary; will do ANY job for money, no matter how immoral
-Szyzgy - otaku decker, but not much else known; has weighed in on several posts involving Deus
-Dragonslayer - RABIDLY anti-dragon. Accuses dragons of everything from plotting to take over the world to making it rain on an inconvenient date for him. Member of an organization dedicated to killing dragons (implied in "Loose Alliances"). Tends to be the target of ridicule by Orange Queen (aka the great dragon Hestaby)

I'll keep editing this post as I think of more.
mfb
jeez. nobody has yet mentioned Cain (unless you count the link). he's made a career out of being well-known.
Paul
It's Kane man....Although I agree Cain's post are criminal... cool.gif
Paul
QUOTE (HMHVV Hunter)
Argent - street sam, presumably ex-military

A real professional criminal.

• Fastjack - God of the Matrix

Also a real professional criminal.

• Silicon Mage - Mage; tends to weigh in on magical theory

• No real indication that he is a professional criminal.

• Slamm-O! - anti-racist decker, very immature

• Professional criminal.

• Socio Pat - often weighs in on social issues, usually anti-meta racism

• Not a professional criminal.

• Martin DeVries - vampire hunter extraordinaire, also a vampire himself

• Not a professional criminal.

• Crescent Moon - unknown runner type, mostly posts on issues relating to the Middle East.  Rabid Muslim fundamentalist

• Not a professional criminal. Terrorist? Maybe.

• The Chromed Accountant - knowledgeable on economic issues, often weighs in on corporate issues

• Professional Criminal. Channels the avatar of Raygun.

• Pyramid Watcher - biggest source on Aztechnology on Shadowland

• Potentially a professional criminal more likely something else.

• Conspir-I-See - Sees several layers into situations; theories tend to be at least somewhat plausible, unlike Lone Gunman's.

• Lone Gunman - Quintessential conspiracy theorist.  Theories are waaaaaay out there

• Doubtful either are professional criminals.

• Bung - resident wisecracker

• Professional criminal.

• Prime Runner - Ultimate mercenary; will do ANY job for money, no matter how immoral

• Professional, a term I use loosely for this munchkin, criminal.
    SL James
    I like Prime Runner. I wish more runners in shadowtalk would cut the crap and admit to themselves that they are just like him.
    HMHVV Hunter
    Oh, how could i forget - The Gingerbread Man! Pirate king extraordinaire!

According to himself, anyways nyahnyah.gif
    Paul
    I work in a prison. A maximum security prison. The loudmouths can be fun, and everyone loves a bullshit artist-but the most dangerous prisoner in the state of Michigan is a quiet, soft spoken guy, like most of the truely dangerous ones are.

This isn't to say I dislike "Prime Runner."
    mfb
    QUOTE (Paul)
    It's Kane man....Although I agree Cain's post are criminal... cool.gif

one of those evil-sounding overly-used names.
    Paul
    "And seventy runners named Nemesis..."

Ha! Thanks dude, I needed that smile.
    Dale
    All your base belong to Rikki Ratboy.

Is he still around?
    mfb
    nope. he died in SSG, as i recall.
    EVLTIM
    QUOTE (Large Mike)
    Prime Runners is not only OOP, but hella outdated. As for a list, let's see...

FastJack (Decker)
    Argent (Sam)

Sam and Argent are two different people .
    ChuckRozool
    QUOTE (EVLTIM)
    QUOTE (Large Mike @ Mar 27 2006, 05:37 PM)
    Prime Runners is not only OOP, but hella outdated.  As for a list, let's see...

FastJack (Decker)
    Argent (Sam)

ohplease.gif

hyzmarca
    QUOTE (EVLTIM)

FastJack (Decker)
    Argent (Sam)

It is all about context.

In the first parenthesis is "Decker" in referance to Fastjack. Now, Decker can be a name but Fastjack is known to be a decker.

In the second parenthesis is "Mage, long time ago, prolly retired."
    Mage is a highly unusual name. It is, however, a common shadowrun archetype. Likewise, few people retire from their names but many retire from their professions.

It stands to reason then that the notation in the third parenthesis "Sam" does not refer to a name.

It is all about the context.
    Fresno Bob
    I had a cousin named "Long ago, prolly retired."
    ChuckRozool
    QUOTE (Voorhees)
    I had a cousin named "Long ago, prolly retired."

:slaps face:
    Dranem
    QUOTE (EVLTIM)

FastJack (Decker)
    Argent (Sam)

The brackets were his job title dude... Argent is a Street Sam. Get your head out of Twist, the shaman/decker isn't the end all of the Matrix. wink.gif
    Grinder
    Wasn't there a guy called "Cynic"?
    Cain
    Target: Matrix has got a lot of good names, but I don't have it handy. But here's a few that come to mind:
    • The Laughing Bandit (Various sourcebooks)
    • Anubis (T:M)
    • Stryper (various novels)
    • Dirk Montgomery (2XS, House of the Sun)
    • Dodger (Various novels, Brainscan)
    • Dr. Raven, Kid Stealth, and Wolfgang Kies (Into the Shadows, Wolf and Raven. Technically not shadowrunners, more heroes-for-hire types.)
    • Ronin (Technobabel, Brainscan, and System Failure)
    • Talon (Various novels and sourcebooks)
    • Keynesian Kid (Various sourcebooks, possibly not a runner, but did jail time)
    • Cham the Ork (Various novels)
    nick012000
    Ryan Mercury and the Superfreinds Assets, Inc. Sure, techically they're wageslaves now, but they used to be runners.
    warrior_allanon
    you know i looked over that talker list, i see winterhawk, but i dont see ocelot, and i know he weighed in on quite a few weapons issues in various books, any comment hawk
    winterhawk11
    QUOTE (warrior_allanon)
    you know i looked over that talker list, i see winterhawk, but i dont see ocelot, and i know he weighed in on quite a few weapons issues in various books, any comment hawk

Yup--he didn't make the cut. There were only a limited number of spots needing to be filled to cover various areas of expertise, and Ocelot's area overlapped a couple of other folks' submissions so he didn't end up on the final list. That's fine--I'm just happy that a couple of my suggestions made it. smile.gif
    ShadowDragon8685
    First off,

"Pervy Dragon Fancier"?

Second off, perhaps it dosen't pertain to 4th ed (at least as far as offical canon goes,) but I can't believe that nobody has mentioned the man of mans, the dude incarnate, the original knows-everything, Captain Chaos?

Third, Fastjack? Everybody knows he's the biggest criminal/corporate raider/slick-rick of them all, Damian Knight.

Fourth, "Pervy Dragon Fancier"?
    Ancient History
    QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)
    Second off, perhaps it dosen't pertain to 4th ed (at least as far as offical canon goes,) but I can't believe that nobody has mentioned the man of mans, the dude incarnate, the original knows-everything, Captain Chaos?

He's dead, Jim.
    ShadowDragon8685
    QUOTE (Ancient History)
    QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Mar 29 2006, 04:47 AM)

He's dead, Jim.

Lies! Dirty, misleading lies!
    Shrapnel
    QUOTE (Cain)
    Target: Matrix has got a lot of good names, but I don't have it handy.  But here's a few that come to mind:

• The Laughing Bandit (Various sourcebooks)

• Anubis (T:M)

• Stryper (various novels)

• Dirk Montgomery (2XS, House of the Sun)

• Dodger (Various novels, Brainscan)

• Dr. Raven, Kid Stealth, and Wolfgang Kies (Into the Shadows, Wolf and Raven.  Technically not shadowrunners, more heroes-for-hire types.)

• Ronin (Technobabel, Brainscan, and System Failure)

• Talon (Various novels and sourcebooks)

• Keynesian Kid (Various sourcebooks, possibly not a runner, but did jail time)

• Cham the Ork (Various novels)

I believe it should be "The Smiling Bandit" and "The Laughing Man".

Two different people entirely.

Some of my personal favorites:

(Street Samurai Catalog)
    • Hatchetman
    • The Neon Samurai
    • Findler-Man
    • Wedge
    • Winger
    • Steel Lynx

(Rigger Black Book)
    • Nightmare
    • Wheelie
    • Flying Scot
    • Toothgnasher

(Fields of Fire)
    • Matador
    • Colonel Cobra
    • Whisper
    • Winter Rat

In Fields of Fire, you also see more of Hatchetman, Findler-Man, and Steel Lynx.

Personally, I've always liked using the shadowtalk entries to help flesh out the NPCs in the game. You don't always have any stats to go off of, but it gives you a good idea of their personality.
    fistandantilus4.0
    QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Mar 28 2006, 11:47 PM)

"Pervy Dragon Fancier"?

Try searching for Lord of the Rings "the Secret Diaries" if you don't get the joke.

read:pervy hobbit fancier

The Very Secret Diaries
    hyzmarca
    QUOTE (Ancient History @ Mar 28 2006, 11:56 PM)

He's dead, Jim.

So were Spock and Dunkelzhan. It didn't stop the former from becoming a cyberzombie or the later from getting it on with Robin Curtis. biggrin.gif
    EVLTIM
    See that is what you get reading late at night on hand full of Hydrocodone . * Is a bone head .*
    Birdy
    QUOTE (hyzmarca)
    QUOTE (Ancient History @ Mar 28 2006, 11:56 PM)

He's dead, Jim.

So were Spock and Dunkelzhan. It didn't stop the former from becoming a cyberzombie or the later from getting it on with Robin Curtis. biggrin.gif

You sure about the order of characters? Wasn't Dunkelzahn the one dating Valeris(Kim Catrell) biggrin.gif
    Ancient History
    QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)

"Pervy Dragon Fancier"?

Try searching for Lord of the Rings "the Secret Diaries" if you don't get the joke.

The Very Secret Diaries

It was used before that, f3.0.
    fistandantilus4.0
    first place I saw it at least. Just sharing what I've got AH
    Grinder
    No matter if it's a rip-off or not, it's funny smile.gif
    Ancient History
    I just wanted to say "f3.0." Droid. hee hee
    Grinder
    biggrin.gif
    Platinum
    QUOTE (Shrapnel)
    Personally, I've always liked using the shadowtalk entries to help flesh out the NPCs in the game. You don't always have any stats to go off of, but it gives you a good idea of their personality.

Shadowtalk is not what it used to be. There are huge lectures and raving blusters.

I think that the street samurai's guide exercised this the best. The comments were funny, insightful, and gave you optional rules. Most of the later books had massive data dumps from the Cap'n interlaced with whitless banter. I have not seen a truly quotable line of shadowtalk since Dowd left.
    ShadowDragon8685
    I like massive data dumps from the cap'n interlaced with the rather witty and insightful banter....

Not to mention the occasional "This thread is locked, please post on the related thread in the commons" messages from the Cap'n, then FastJack goes and hacks in his own editorial. smile.gif Those were funny.

"Stop setting a bad example for the kiddies, FastJack."
    winterhawk11
    QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)

"Pervy Dragon Fancier"?

The Very Secret Diaries

Yup. But as for whether I'm pervy and fancy dragons or I fancy pervy dragons...I'll never tell. biggrin.gif

Hobbits...ugh! Make great snacks for dragons, though... smile.gif
    ShadowDragon8685
    Or it could be a double meaning - you're pervy and fancy dragons, and you fancy the dragons pervy enough to fancy you.
    This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
    Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012