Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Famous runners?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Birdy @ Mar 29 2006, 05:40 AM)
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Mar 29 2006, 06:47 AM)
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Mar 28 2006, 11:56 PM)
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Mar 29 2006, 04:47 AM)
Second off, perhaps it dosen't pertain to 4th ed (at least as far as offical canon goes,) but I can't believe that nobody has mentioned the man of mans, the dude incarnate, the original knows-everything, Captain Chaos?

He's dead, Jim.

So were Spock and Dunkelzhan. It didn't stop the former from becoming a cyberzombie or the later from getting it on with Robin Curtis. biggrin.gif

You sure about the order of characters? Wasn't Dunkelzahn the one dating Valeris(Kim Catrell) biggrin.gif

Whn Dunkie was having his second first pon'far on the Genesis Planet the only female around was Lt. Saavik who provided him with Vulcan pitty sex so that he wouldn't go berserk ........

I see.

nyahnyah.gif
Grinder
My brain hurts. This thread becomes nearly as silly as the Drop Bear thread.
ShadowDragon8685
So, how much Jack would FastJack Jack if FastJack Would Jack Jack? smile.gif
Ancient History
Oh please, FastJack doesn't have to Jack. Where do you think all the otaku came from?
ShadowDragon8685
AH, you make a good point.

FastJack is to Otaku what Chuck Norris is to the 1972 Miami Dolphins. He's the Father of the Otaku, in a very literal sense.
winterhawk11
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)
Or it could be a double meaning - you're pervy and fancy dragons, and you fancy the dragons pervy enough to fancy you.

I think we have a winner! biggrin.gif
Platinum
QUOTE (Ancient History)
Oh please, FastJack doesn't have to Jack. Where do you think all the otaku came from?

Carl Sargent's abortioned brain. <Shiver>
Lindt
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Mar 29 2006, 12:22 PM)
FastJack is to Otaku what Chuck Norris is to the 1972 Miami Dolphins. He's the Father of the Otaku, in a very literal sense.

Ewwww.... someone went there... I feel dirty now...

but you all are missing one of my personal fav.s. Chromed Accountent. Cool guy it seems.
Moirdryd
One notes that -H- or The Smiling Man hasnt been mentioned (like Harley really needs it mind you).

Also dont think I saw Spook in there and of course there is SilveryK.
Kanada Ten
Isn't Jet Black a runner now?

Personally, I wouldn't use "legendary" runners, but make up some local talent that is known for "that one job" or as "a big time mob runner".
Shrapnel
QUOTE (Moirdryd)
One notes that -H- or The Smiling Man hasnt been mentioned (like Harley really needs it mind you).

So far, we've had one vote for "The Laughing Bandit", and now a vote for "The Smiling Man".

I'm pretty sure that Harlequin was known as "The Laughing Man", and there was a separate individual known as "The Smiling Bandit".

For what it's worth...
fistandantilus4.0
At least they've both got a good sense of humor.

And JetBlack is a vamp, not a runner.

Bung is my favorite poster, although I love seeing familiar names like "Snow Fox" and "Ancient History". And wasn't there an AH knock of "Ancient Scholar" or something like that?
ShadowDragon8685
Which came first... The Dumpshockers, or the Shadowtalkers?
Paul
In some cases both could be accurate. Some of the people who kick around these boards, or did, have had their handles for a long time. DV8, Ancient History, Flak Jacket, etc.... In some cases I know some people took the names from the books-but I couldn't say exactly who.
fistandantilus4.0
also ,lots of freelancer use their names, like Demonseed Elite, Otaku Mike, Synner, and Winterhawk (not as much that I've seen as others though). I think it's neat that those are their characters. Like Demonseed is his otaku, Winterhawk is from Robyn's stories (which are really neat and on her website). I don't know about Otaku Mike though. I'm just suprised to never see an "Adam" poking around Shadowland.
SL James
He did in some of the later 2e books, circa Target: UCAS.

DE also uses/used the names of a whole slew of SL characters, especially with relation to the otaku since DE (the otaku) and several other otaku PCs were integral into what became RA:S and Brainscan. Overwatch, for example, was created by a SLer and later used in the books. Grey Knight/Lt. Col. Ritter was another user's signature character (that user also wrote a couple of things for Fanpro), and Banshee from Double Take (the Corporate Punishment adventure with the Ghosts) was Pistons' main character.
fistandantilus4.0
Didn't know those last two, that's pretty neat. Thanks for the insight James. I lvoe extra little back ground bits like that.
SL James
Oh, the best part is that Banshee and Ritter have a past alluded to in "California Uber Alles," in YotC. Well, that and that supposedly Ritter's second was supposed to be an ex-SAS runner (the "ninja commando elf") and friend/teammate of his who took a reduction of rank to serve under Ritter. Said NCE had a shadowtalk comment about the People's University in Target: Matrix, btw.
Blacken
Is it me, or is the shadowtalk in newer books complete and utter lossitude? I mean, I was just reading over the Lone Star book in preparation for a GM session I've got lined up. Argent, Wolf, Dirk (Findley's novel characters, for the sad, pathetic, and uninitiated)--they actually sound like people.

The newer shadowtalk sections sound like talking heads blabbing three, four paragraph screeds about nothing important.
SL James
No, it isn't you.
Platinum
I swear I am having deja-vu. Say about 1/2 way up the thread.
tisoz
An easy way for the authors to make the talk more realistic is have a few personalities that flame, troll or push the limits of flaming/trolling just like most RL msg boards. Quit making the posters sound like moderators and good little boys and girls.
toturi
And you do have people who blabber on and on about nothing IRL as well. So it might seem to be a waste of space but often enough there is a hidden gem within all that blabber. You just got to know what to look for, or are actively looking for it. Sometime when it is a matter of opinion or spin, the shadowtalk gives the GM an out in the way canon can be interpreted. Just like real history is often given different spin by different people.
mfb
QUOTE (tisoz)
An easy way for the authors to make the talk more realistic is have a few personalities that flame, troll or push the limits of flaming/trolling just like most RL msg boards.

that's a stupid idea, and you're a lavender-wearing retard. lavender. what are you thinking?
Platinum
QUOTE (tisoz)
An easy way for the authors to make the talk more realistic is have a few personalities that flame, troll or push the limits of flaming/trolling just like most RL msg boards. Quit making the posters sound like moderators and good little boys and girls.

You don't just have to add flame/troll comments, making fun of the post. The key is not to comment on everything. That way when you do have comments it makes them more important.

My personal fav is steel lynx in the SSG.
"Wonderful now I can flatten light ammo against body armor faster than ever before."

This model works much better for something like a catalog. When you are doing a location book, it just usually becomes a distraction.
Chrome Shadow
Jack Slater and his group (Elvis, Duran, et al)
Rico and his group (a street sam with honor)
Ghost who walks, Sally T., Doger, Sam Verner (burned out), Kham...
Serrin, and the english deckers...
Dirk Montgomery...
Stripper and Raman???(the other weretiger)...
Sly
Wolf, Raven, Kid Stealth, Zig, Zag, Tom Electric, Valerie V.
And a lot I don't remember now...

[To Paul]Ok, ok... Thanks...
Paul
Ghost, sir. Gost must be his evil twin.
Voran
Regarding Captain Chaos, the SR4 book was rather brief in explaining how things went between edition 3 to edition 4, pages 32 to 34 nyahnyah.gif Rather brief. I was wondering where I might get more information on all the those changes and years. Can someone recommend the books/novels that cover that?
fistandantilus4.0
there's only the sparse info in the SR4 and System failure to go on ATM. Just hafta wait unfortuantely.
tisoz
QUOTE (Platinum)
QUOTE (tisoz @ Apr 2 2006, 06:54 AM)
An easy way for the authors to make the talk more realistic is have a few personalities that flame, troll or push the limits of flaming/trolling just like most RL msg boards.  Quit making the posters sound like moderators and good little boys and girls.

You don't just have to add flame/troll comments, making fun of the post. The key is not to comment on everything. That way when you do have comments it makes them more important.

My personal fav is steel lynx in the SSG.
"Wonderful now I can flatten light ammo against body armor faster than ever before."

This model works much better for something like a catalog. When you are doing a location book, it just usually becomes a distraction.

Closer to what I meant than my color choice on wash day.

On topic, Josie Cruise. And it's not Stripper, probably just a sub-conscious mistake promoted by her nonchalance about nudity.
fistandantilus4.0
Fear the Stripper Asassin

wonder if that has something to do with why they call them 'kick artists'? biggrin.gif
Club
QUOTE (Chrome Shadow)

Who, IIRC, mostly died, and the rest became horror-infested. Please tell me NYX is going to do another novel in the new book series.
Platinum
QUOTE (Club)
Please tell me NYX is going to do another novel in the new book series.

Man I hope that is dripping with sarcasm.
Grinder
QUOTE (Club)
QUOTE (Chrome Shadow @ Apr 3 2006, 10:44 AM)

Who, IIRC, mostly died, and the rest became horror-infested. Please tell me NYX is going to do another novel in the new book series.

When did it happen (the death of Rico and the horror-marking of his team)?
And please, never ever a novel written by Nyx! eek.gif
Ancient History
Who Hunts The Hunter. Bandit is still one of my favorite shaman ever.
Grinder
Thank you smile.gif The memories come back to my mind, slowly. Yeah, that was a nice story, even though a little bit over the top and lacking some writing skill.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012