Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bone augmentations
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Shrike30
Wouldn't having a license on your person that says "Will set off metal detectors" (that is, R but you have it "legally") usually be enough to take care of some of that? You could at least demand the wand, which people have to do on a regular basis anyway when their zippers are too metallic.
Kremlin KOA
remember that guns are R in this edition

kinda funny for the 'Land of the Free, and home of the brave."
Shrike30
Seeing as how the USA doesn't exist anymore...
lunchbox311
I was curious about the bone density and augmentation combined as well. I have a troll named Dozer who can soak all kinds of damage. He has Titanium bone lacing and I was told by the other members of our group to get the bone density augmentation. I thought it might be wrong.... and the FAQ says so but we houserule other crap so I may do it anyway.

Hmm if I get it at 4 that would give him a body of 16 for damage resistance purposes and he has 5/5 armor with his orthoskin troll skin and titanium bone lacing. Wow. He could buy 5 boxes of damage off if no special AP or anything is considered. Combined with his platelet factories and he can basically be shot by single shots of assault rifle ammo and laugh.

Whipstitch
Yeah, had a guy in my group playing a troll-tank samurai who ran around with a ballistic shield, armor jacket and a helmet whenever he could. When he finally got killed and had to roll a new character, I was secretly somewhat relieved. The problem with having a troll like that around is that it's pretty much begging security to call for 7DV -1 AP rifle-toting back up whenver a confrontation becomes drawn out and they realize that bullets pretty much bounce right off the guy. Which was usually just fine for the troll, but the rest of us were pretty much terrified.
Demon_Bob
It always surprises me the players with trolls who are actually surprised to find out that they are "magebait" or the target for heavy weapons fire. Umm sorry off subject.
toturi
QUOTE (Whipstitch)
Yeah, had a guy in my group playing a troll-tank samurai who ran around with a ballistic shield, armor jacket and a helmet whenever he could. When he finally got killed and had to roll a new character, I was secretly somewhat relieved. The problem with having a troll like that around is that it's pretty much begging security to call for 7DV -1 AP rifle-toting back up whenver a confrontation becomes drawn out and they realize that bullets pretty much bounce right off the guy. Which was usually just fine for the troll, but the rest of us were pretty much terrified.

Does having a troll tank with lots of armor actually increase the lethality of the game? Most of the time I do not see it happening. PCs die(or don't die) as often as without the troll sam.
mfb
QUOTE (Kremlin KOA)
remember that guns are R in this edition

kinda funny for the 'Land of the Free, and home of the brave."

i'm not sure what kind of crazy ideas you've got about the US, but there are laws that restrict gun ownership, and especially about carrying weapons. in SR4's streamlined legality setup, "restricted" works just fine for reflecting how guns are handled--assuming that UCAS gun laws are intended to mirror US gun laws.
Ravor
Of course, in America gun laws tends to vary from state to state, for example, in my state, you could legally carry an unconcealed pistol almost everywhere, although expect alot of funny looks and to be hassled by the cops as well as giving most tourists heart failure. And with a fairly easy to get concealed carry permit you can carry the above pistol concealed everywhere except for ~13 types of buildings. (I can legally conceal carry inside a Court House, but not a Court Room for example.)

Although I haven't looked it up recently, I'm fairly sure that I couldn't do either nearly as easily on either coast. (Hell, even in the states bordering me, although they recognize Wyoming's permit, tend to have stricter laws concerning where I can and can't carry.)
TheOneRonin
Does anyone else besides me find it particularly bizarre that a punch from someone with Titanium Bone Lacing does more damage than the same guy hitting you with a baseball bat or steel pipe?

WTF were those devs thinking?
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (TheOneRonin)
Does anyone else besides me find it particularly bizarre that a punch from someone with Titanium Bone Lacing does more damage than the same guy hitting you with a baseball bat or steel pipe?

WTF were those devs thinking?

I don't find that as odd as a person with titanium bone lacing not getting any more dangerous with the addition of spurs.
Whipstitch
QUOTE (toturi @ May 8 2007, 03:15 AM)
Does having a troll tank with lots of armor actually increase the lethality of the game? Most of the time I do not see it happening. PCs die(or don't die) as often as without the troll sam.

It can with a poor/new GM. We were dealing with a fairly inexperienced GM at the time (former D&D gm, sibling of one of the players, well organized, but not used to SR4), and it took a few sessions until he got the art of coming up with diverse threats down. And the real issue wasn't so much character death so much as combat became the troll samurai show. Which wouldn't be so bad except that the other samurai in the group typically ended up sitting on his hands quite a bit because unlike the troll he couldn't waltz into suppression fire, take his piddly box or two of stun and start chucking grenades.

Again, it really wouldn't have been an issue with my usual gm. If we had taken such a direct combat oriented route with him, he would have yawned and taken the troll out with a mage or simply have the guards bombard us with a steady diet of pepper punch. God, I hate pepper punch. Especially the foam stuff that can spray out of the walls and is laced with nano-RFID tags. On second thought, I think I liked the newbie gm and the uber-troll better. dead.gif
IvanTank
Round up. Remember, if your strength is an even number, you are wasting points smile.gif
Spike
My take, back to the original topic, is to not allow numeric stacking. Sure, you can do multiple things to bones, but you only take the best numbers, not adding them up.

Casually allowing stacking can lead to absurd situations.

That said, I'll disagree with the current armor rules. Layering multiple armors should actually make you more or less bulletproof (really, the effectiveness of modern armor, armor in general, depends largely on how much of it you are stacking on....). The limit comes from mobility. Even a single layer of body armor should be penalizing to some extent, multiple layers grow increasingly difficult to even put on, much less move in. That's true for Trolls as Humans as whatever. The bigger you are, the more armor you need to wear to get the same coverage. It's not even mass so much (thought that should be a factor) as bulk.

But I've drifted... The point is every case needs to be considered point by point, bone augmenting/lacing is one situation. No blanket rules about stacking despite my early words.
mfb
i dunno. i like absurd situations. i like rules that allow augmented characters to do things that would be impossible for an unaugmented person.
toturi
If the rules allow it, I allow it. You can house rule your way, however. But everyone knows how I feel about the canon rules.
Spike
Toturi: The question regarding bone implants had to do with the fact that the rules did not explicitly say what to do if someone went for both.

As for armor, I merely discussed how I think it should work, not how I rule it at the table. I keep houseruling to a minimum so that everyone is working from the same page. If the rules 'work', even if inconsistant with 'reality', then I use it as written.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012