Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GM Screen
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Nomad
The SR4 GM Screen PDF is now available for purchase.
WorkOver
How in the hell do you print it? I am using the full version of adobe.
James McMurray
Is it just a GM screen or is there also a critters book or stuffer shack type scenario with it?
Guye Noir
From the various websites that are selling it:
The 32 page Contacts and Adventures booklet, which features a variety of NPCs with complete stats; over 30 plot hooks covering a wide range of shadowrunning possibilities; the SR3 to SR4 character conversion rules, and two pages of additional tables that we couldn’t squeeze onto the GM Screen itself.
James McMurray
Cool. Maybe if someone had posted a link I'd have known that. smile.gif
Nomad
Since I started the thread right right before I went to bed, I appologize for its brevity. There are two "versions" of the screen in the pdf. One is the full (which I have no clue how to print yet) and the other is the "lite," which is the tables on seperated sheets. For those of us who buy the electronic version, it will be far easier to print off the lite version and paste them onto heavier backings to create our own screen than it will be to make the "official" one.
Zen Shooter01
Hmmm...I think I'll wait for the hardcopy when it comes to the GM screen. Any idea when it'll be on shelves?
fool
I've had mine on order from my local shop for about a month now. Amazon was claiming that after feb 28 they could ship in 24 hr's phawwwww yeah right. I'm still waiting to get my grubby opaws on the the thing
Ranneko
I'm tempted to get the eBook version myself, since I can print out the tables and paperclip them to my Feng Shui GM Screen.

Since none of the links have been posted yet here they are:
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/catalog/produc...iliate_id=18145
http://www.studio2publishing.com/shop/prod...roducts_id=1960
http://rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=6784
http://battlecorps.com/catalog/product_inf...roducts_id=1692

Currently I just want to wait for the currency coversion rate to be a little more favourable.
Dashifen
Just like for the rules from MJLBB for runs on the fly, I've put together an online generator for runs on the fly from the GM Screen companion book at my shadowrun site. Thought I'd advertise it here as well as in community projects. Bugs or problems should probably be posted here.
WorkOver
I emailed fanpro, they said they will be adding a version that splits the screen up into 4 pieces, so you can printit on regualr paper.

They emailed me back pretty fast. I only wonder why they didn't break each side into 8x11 sheets anyways.
mdynna
Wow, I just checked Amazon. They list the GM Screen with a date of June 30th, 2006. Curiously, they list Street Magic with a date of June 28th (!), so I think something is a little messed up there.
Dashifen
Never trust Amazon's dates. I think they just make them up.
Shrike30
Buddy of mine pre-ordered Team Fortress 2 from amazon.com back in '98, when they had it listed as coming out in mid-August or something.

Needless to say, he's still got his receipt hanging around somewhere...
Adam
Amazon -- and all book trade dealers -- solicit material much further in advance than the game trade, and they're generally slower to make updates when provided with updated information.

FanPro's relationship with the book trade in general is improving, now that PSI reps us, but as long as the game industry is, ah, not quite reliable about release dates, Amazon and other online sellers are going to continue having out of date information for almost all game industry publishers.

Edit: And yes, we're going to add a fourth file to the GM screen download this week, with the big fancy graphical screen cut up into letter sized paper. I have a bunch of stuff ahead of it on the priority list [including the very exciting "Back up the last 10 or so ebook construction files to DVD" task and the more tasty "eat birthday cake" task], but if you buy the GM Screen now or have already bought it you'll be given access to the updated download when it arrives.
bclements
QUOTE (Shrike30)
Buddy of mine pre-ordered Team Fortress 2 from amazon.com back in '98, when they had it listed as coming out in mid-August or something.

Needless to say, he's still got his receipt hanging around somewhere...

rotfl.gif

Could be DNF!
WorkOver
LOL! You said amazon nyahnyah.gif Never order from those bums.
James McMurray
I've done tons of ordering from amazon and never had a problem. Usually there are cheaper alternatives, but sometimes they've got the right price. Who do you recommend (and why?)
mdynna
There is certainly a supply problem that needs to be addressed. The retail shops in my home town have said they've had tons of trouble getting SR4 stuff in. They couldn't even fill their pre-orders with the initial shipment of the SR4 BBB. Granted, I do live in the "boonies" of Canada, but still, I never had trouble getting SR stuff before.
Silo
Okay....so, is it worth the $15?
coolgrafix
QUOTE (Silo @ Apr 4 2006, 11:32 AM)

Absolutely. The SR4 contacts alone are worth that much, assuming that your only alternative would be to crank them out yourself at whatever hourly wage you're used to working at. =)
Silo
QUOTE (coolgrafix)
QUOTE (Silo @ Apr 4 2006, 11:32 AM)

Absolutely. The SR4 contacts alone are worth that much, assuming that your only alternative would be to crank them out yourself at whatever hourly wage you're used to working at. =)

True.

But how are the tables?
Dashifen
Tables? What do you mean?
Silo
Isn't the bulk of the screen content tables for quick reference?
emo samurai
Are they the contacts from Mr. Johnson's Black Book, or are they different? And isn't Mr. Johnson what prostitutes call their customers?
Dashifen
QUOTE (Silo @ Apr 4 2006, 04:29 PM)
Isn't the bulk of the screen content tables for quick reference?

Ah! I though you meant in the contact/adventure booklet. The tables are very nice. It contains the following tables for reference, all of which are copied from the book:
  1. Combat Sequence
  2. Combat Turn Sequence
  3. Spellcasting By The Numbers
  4. Perception Test Thresholds
  5. Perception Test Modifiers
  6. Visibility Modifiers
  7. Movement Rate Table
  8. Skills and Linked Attributes Table
  9. Difficulty Table
  10. Buying Hits
  11. Extended Test Difficulties
  12. Random Alert Response
  13. Matrix Search Table
  14. Concealability Table
  15. Availbility Intervals
  16. Weapon Range Table
  17. Ranged Combat Modifiers
  18. Melee Modifiers Table
  19. Defense Modifiers Table
  20. the Scatter Diagram
  21. Scatter Distance Table
  22. Melee Weapons Table
  23. Projectile Weapons Table
  24. Grenade Damage Table
  25. Charisma Linked Opposed Test
  26. Signal Rating Table
And, the "lite" version of the screen offers all of those in addition to the following:
  1. Barrier Rating Table
  2. Damaging Barriers Table
  3. Knowledge Skill Table
  4. Signature Table
  5. Build/Repair Table
  6. Object Resistance Table
  7. Sample Devices Table
  8. Vehicle Test Threshold Table
  9. Terrain Table
  10. Handling Rating Table
  11. Assensing Table
  12. Astral Tracking Modifiers
The only thing really missing, IMO, is the social modifiers.
Dashifen
QUOTE (emo samurai)
Are they the contacts from Mr. Johnson's Black Book, or are they different? And isn't Mr. Johnson what prostitutes call their customers?

Some are similar to contacts from MJLBB, but they're made with SR4 stats and skills instead of SR3 versions of the same. As for the prostitution question, after watching enough Law and Order, Special Victims Unit, I think the term you're looking for is "Johns" not Johnsons .... prostitutes probably use Johnson to mean an entirely different thing silly.gif
Azralon
QUOTE (emo samurai @ Apr 4 2006, 05:33 PM)
And isn't Mr. Johnson what prostitutes call their customers?

What are ya, new?

Oh; Emo posted that. Well, close enough.
Masterofthegame
Well, my next campaign will be 4E, so I really want ths, but the idea of a 'GM screen' with easy reference sheets on PDF seems somewhat counter-intuitive.
Dashifen
I got the PDF for the contacts/adventures booklet. It'll invariably get lost when I physically purchase the GM Screen from my FLGS. 'Course, I end up buying almost all SR rulebooks twice, once in PDF and once in physical.
Shrike30
The "lite" version comes with MORE tables, and the social mods aren't on either? question.gif
Dashifen
QUOTE (Shrike30)
The "lite" version comes with MORE tables, and the social mods aren't on either?  question.gif

Yes. The first 4 pages of the lite version are the same as the 4 panels of the GM screen. The fifth and sixth page of the lite version are tables that couldn't be fit within the 4 pages of the screen. The social mods, since they take up a whole page in SR4 would have either required a whole extra panel or the removal of the other information. This, I suspect, was probably something that the designers felt was not worth the social mods. Especially since you can just make a photocopy, or print that page of the PDF, and have them available at all times.

Me? I extracted that page from the PDF so I can have it open at all times while gaming. Too valuable not to have at my fingertips, but the wealth of information now included on the GM screen will greatly reduce my need to jump back and forth within the PDF. Thank god you spend so much time on those PDF bookmarks, Adam, but even with those, I think having them on the back of a GM screen is still just nicer.

Shrike30
Good point on the social table, there. I think I'll do that smile.gif
mintcar
Sounds good. I'm tempted to download right now. Only thing is, I heard great stuff about the dead tree product. Heard it was supposed to have a blank page with a clip on it so you could clip on printed pages there. Is this going to happen? When could I be seing the finnished thing in my game store (in Sweden)?
the_dunner
QUOTE (Masterofthegame)
the idea of a 'GM screen' with easy reference sheets on PDF seems somewhat counter-intuitive.

What you need to find is a 3 or 4-panel clear vinyl "menu cover" from a restaurant supply store. (Or, for the ethically challenged, from your corner deli.) The GM screen printouts slide nicely into that, and it should be rigid enough to stand up on its own.

I'd offer a link, but I wasn't able to find a spot on line that'd sell less than 25 of them at a time. They are cheap though -- about $5 each. And, you really only need one, which you can then easily use with other games by changing the inserts.
Silo
Hmm, I think I will buy it for the NPCs and such but the tables sound like resell. I already bought all of those once. wink.gif And, can just put them all on pages myself, if I really wanted too.
mintcar
I bought it now. Realized that my poor eyesight and the dim ligthing we usually have when playing makes having tables a meter and a half away on the GM screen is pointless anyhow. And the screen itself isn't that pretty. I allready have the SR2 and 3 screens to put up. I'm just going to put the tables from the pdf in a folder together with record sheets of all the characters and NPC's for quick reference.
Dashifen
QUOTE (the_dunner @ Apr 5 2006, 09:19 AM)
What you need to find is a 3 or 4-panel clear vinyl "menu cover" from a restaurant supply store.  (Or, for the ethically challenged, from your corner deli.)  The GM screen printouts slide nicely into that, and it should be rigid enough to stand up on its own.

That's a great idea. I was contemplating taping two manila folders together but that would end up looking very unattractive, I suspect. Aw, who'm I kidding. I'll probably just buy the real one again biggrin.gif
mdynna
Laminate each of the pages. Then, ideally, if you have access to coil binding you could bind all the pages together. This would allow them to be "folded up" as well, and they would stand up on a table. Failing the coil binder you could use a regular 3-hole punch and get those single ring-thingys to attach all the sheets together. But laminating is definitely the way to go.
coolgrafix
QUOTE (mdynna)
Laminate each of the pages. Then, ideally, if you have access to coil binding you could bind all the pages together. This would allow them to be "folded up" as well, and they would stand up on a table.

(stunned look)

That's brilliant! It's like the clouds just parted before me. =)
Zolhex
Well I prefer the phsical copy myself so guess I'll have to wait.

I saw someone asked but no answer from anyone who may really know when can we expect it in stores?

For that matter my local game store still has as of yet to get on the run I thought that shipped already?

Oh and lasty birthday cake Adam? yours? if so happy birthday sorry if i'm a bit late.
mdynna
QUOTE (coolgrafix)
QUOTE (mdynna @ Apr 5 2006, 01:04 PM)
Laminate each of the pages.  Then, ideally, if you have access to coil binding you could bind all the pages together.  This would allow them to be "folded up" as well, and they would stand up on a table.

(stunned look)

That's brilliant! It's like the clouds just parted before me. =)

smile.gif Glad to be of help.
mdynna
Someone who has purchased the PDF:

Do the "easy printable" pages contain the picture "back" on the other side? Are the just the tables or is there something nice on the back for players to look at?
Adam
The easily printable file is just the 4 'pages' of tables from the GM Screen, and the two pages of tables from the booklet, in one, err, easily printable file.
mdynna
The printed (published) version will have a pretty picture on the back then?
Dashifen
Yes, the published one has the SR4 sample characters, some in full and some only as head shots, on the side opposite the tables. Presumably, the easily printable version will have a setup such that you can print the pictures on one side of a page and the tables on the other so that you can duplicate this without purchasing the screen in physical form if you don't want to.

Edit: See the image on this page. That's what GM screen looks like, and the cover of the C&A booklet as well.

mintcar
The linked image is not what the GM screen looks like, exactly. It's what the booklet looks like.

QUOTE (Dashifen)
the published one has the SR4 sample characters, some in full and some only as head shots, on the side opposite the tables.

This description is much better.
Ranneko
QUOTE (the_dunner)
QUOTE (Masterofthegame @ Apr 4 2006, 05:08 PM)
the idea of a 'GM screen' with easy reference sheets on PDF seems somewhat counter-intuitive.

What you need to find is a 3 or 4-panel clear vinyl "menu cover" from a restaurant supply store. (Or, for the ethically challenged, from your corner deli.) The GM screen printouts slide nicely into that, and it should be rigid enough to stand up on its own.

I'd offer a link, but I wasn't able to find a spot on line that'd sell less than 25 of them at a time. They are cheap though -- about $5 each. And, you really only need one, which you can then easily use with other games by changing the inserts.

The other option is taking another GM Screen. (In my case I bought a Feng Shui one cheap a few months back), and then paperclipping the tables to the inside of it.

Of course this does require you having another GM screen.
emo samurai
In Robot Chicken, in the "Pimp My Sister" short, the pimped sister called the John "Mr. Johnson." I'm thinking it's more likely that's what johns are called in real life than the possibility of Seth Green being an SR addict.
Dashifen
QUOTE (mintcar @ Apr 5 2006, 05:32 PM)
The linked image is not what the GM screen looks like, exactly. It's what the booklet looks like.

QUOTE (Dashifen)
the published one has the SR4 sample characters, some in full and some only as head shots, on the side opposite the tables.

This description is much better.

No, it's what the booklet and the GM screen look like. The B&W booklet is behind a full color portion of the GM screen.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012