Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: how much damage would a dud grenade do?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
child of insanity
if you fired a grenade from a launcher of some sort, how much damage would it do if it hit someone/thing? maybe if it was a dud, or it was airtimed and hadn't reached that point yet. ie. you fire a grenade and time it to explode in the car, but you had to get through the glass first. or you fired it at someone less than 5m away.
Crusher Bob
In SR3 terms, you are looking at something like 4-6M stun.
child of insanity
i forgot to mention that i was playing S3.
and would that break the average window?
Birdy
From "testing" with a 40mm non-exploding (training) round: Yes, it will. And then the owner of the car will break your ass...
child of insanity
so a 6m stun you think would be ok? or would it be a bit higher? maybe treat it like a gel round at the same time for knockdown/back? maybe a bit higher for breakage purposes?
Birdy
QUOTE (child of insanity @ Apr 3 2006, 11:42 AM)
so a 6m stun you think would be ok? or would it be a bit higher? maybe treat it like a gel round at the same time for knockdown/back? maybe a bit higher for breakage purposes?

At least a Gel-Round (BeanBag if SR has that) maybe even a lethal round of pistol caliber. It went cleanly through the front window of a Mercedes 300GL at > 50m.
mfb
i've seen 40mm paint rounds go through an inch of plywood and keep going quite a ways. i'd say closer to 9M stun.
child of insanity
it's been awhile since i've completely read teh shadowrun3 rules, would that damage be brought down due to it being stun?
Slump
Nah, stun's just a different track (but pretty hard to heal, and it's damage TN adjustments stack with lethal damage TN adjustments, plus if the stun track fills, they are out cold (and start taking lethal damage from those previously stunning attacks). Stun is the best way to catch someone. Stun and Lethal is a good way to gimp someone, but let them run away under their own power.
Crusher Bob
9M is rather excessive. Consider that a strong guy (Str 4) hitting you with a baseball bat (Str +2) would only be 6M. Also, the grenades used in SR are ~25mm (which is why you can have magazine fed under-barrel GLs, not 40mm) so they would not hit as hard as a 40mm grenade.
child of insanity
i'd say that a launcher that can pump a 25mm grenade 300m could do a bit more damage than a guy with a baseball bat. but that's just me.
are the grenades really round, or sort of bullet shaped? that might help too.
Austere Emancipator
I suggested 5-6M for SR3's 0.1kg minigrenades last time this was asked.

Of course, a 40mm LV dud should do quite a bit more damage than a Heavy Pistol gel round, but I think that's more of a problem with how gel ammunition is handled than with the suggested DCs of dud grenades.

[Edit]If the only requirement is to launch a ~80-90 gram projectile 300 meters on a very arched trajectory, you could make that happen with such a low velocity (much less than 200fps) that being hit by a dud from that would definitely be preferable to getting beat with a baseball bat.[/Edit]
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012