Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I know Kung Fu....
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Kremlin KOA
QUOTE (James McMurray)
According to the RAW, if you forbid them from taking the shot that'll take down a Citymaster with a flechette pistol, you've forbidden them from taking a valid action.

Not quite. You've forbidden them from taking an action which is allowed in the rules. That doesn't make it a valid action. Saying "I ignore 3 inch thick metal with my pistol because I'm lucky" is an attempt to cheese the system, not an attempt to perform a valid action.

what about if ya are skilled

taking skills to the extreme, Alf CYber Adept pistolier

agi 8(12)
Pistols (semi automatic) 7(9)

3 levels of IA pistols

smartgun link in contact lenses with optimag 3

I have 6 seconds before the bad guys reach their citymaster

I am using an ares viper slivergun with GV 3, I want the car dead before they can get in and start it
(one combat turn to get in, one to start it)
I have 2 initiave passes per turn

My base dice pool is
12+9+3+2= 26 dice

I choose the called shot for vulnerable spot rule and thus lose 20 dice of dice pool (you must bypass ALL the armor)

leaving me a dice pool of 6
my first action is to take aim and lose penalties for range
then I fire a burst into the van

6 dice should be about 2 hits
stationary van = no dodge test
narrow bust = damage + 2
12 damage resisted by 16 dice = 6-7 boxes
next pass I repeat my burst for a total ov 13 boxes, which is as many as the citymaster has

There, a character, possible as a starting char, but cheesy as anything less than a 50 karma char. Killed a citymaster with a pistol and without use of edge

Now tell me luck shouldn't be able to do what skill can do
James McMurray
I also would not allow that. We don't use armor bypassing shots in our games because of the incredibly silly situations that it can cause. That's not a "GM says no" it's a "group agrees." We did the same in SR3. Bypassing armor is a problem with or without edge. The Citymaster is just one of a bunch of examples that have come up in this thread and the other two (or more?) threads where Cain continually tries to assert that the entire fixed TN system doesn't work because GM logic prevents low agility PCs from tying shoelaces.

Luck most definitely should eb able to do what skill can. And Skill + Luck should be able to do even more. That doesn't make the impossible possible.

Are there problems with the longshot rules? Yes, if you have a group like Cain's that wants to try and break the system while ignoring common sense. And no, if you have a group that like mine that doesn't try that sort of crap. smile.gif
Kremlin KOA
remind me not to play in any star wars games you GM

"Sorry Luke, you aren't allowed to bypass the Death Star's armor by going for a weak spot, as that would be silly."
Cain
No, I'm advocating playing a realistic game.

If you want strict realism, then you definitely need to give SR4 a pass. All games involve characters doing things that would not be possible for normal people-- otherwise, what's the point? If you happen to like strict realism, that's fine, but then I think you'd have more fun doing your annual taxes.

What's wrong with that? If a player finds themselves in a situation where they are certain to die, you can either kill the character or let them live and continue the story. The latter choice is almost always the more enjoyable one, unless the player wants their character to die.

First you advocate for realism, then you say this? The problem with the Escape Certain Death clause is that it allows a character to survive a direct THOR shot. Anything that would kill the character mysteriously falls short-- that's not just the letter of the rules, that's the spirit of them. Unfortunately, that is not only a broken mechanic, but one that destroys suspension of disbelief; and if you as a GM decide to not allow it, you've definitely set up an adversarial role in your game.
And a GM who is willing to let the impossible happen just because you're lucky. And a player willing to try that. Again, it isn't the edge system that's broken in that situation, it's the player.

Wrong. If game-breaking impossible situations occur on a regular basis due to the rules, and it could be prevented by a sane rule set, then it's not the player's problem at all.
Are there problems with the longshot rules? Yes, if you have a group like Cain's that wants to try and break the system while ignoring common sense. And no, if you have a group that like mine that doesn't try that sort of crap.

First of all, quit insulting my gaming friends. For one thing, we prefer to prevent problems in the first place, instead of waiting for them to happen, and then having a "realistic" GM throw a hissy-fit when the "impossible" happens. As a result, we prefer to have a stable ruleset where we don't have to worry about it. I'd hate to see the sort of crap your group does pull; when players have to tread so delicately around their Gm, I really have to wonder.

Besides which, this is about SR4, not our private gaming groups. Just because you're deluding yourself into thinking your players will never do this, that doesn't mean it's not an issue for all Shadowrun players to be aware of. You think it's not a problem because it won't come up for you? Let me make it clear: this is not about you. This is about Shadowrun, and how to make it a better game, more enjoyable for everyone. Flawed rules are a serious problem, no matter how many blindfolds you care to wear.

The Edge rules not only allow for some truly hideous abuses, they're deliberately written to encourage them. This is a flaw in the core mechanics of the game. The only way to fix this is to alter the core mechanics of the game in a radical way-- no matter what you do, you've fundamentally shifted the entire base of the system. In short, to fix the problem, you almost need to chuck everything and start from scratch. I don't know about you, but I don't want to be spending forty bucks on a game I'll never play-- and if I'm redoing everything, then I'm not playing it.

"Sorry Luke, you aren't allowed to bypass the Death Star's armor by going for a weak spot, as that would be silly."

rotfl.gif rotfl.gif rotfl.gif

Oh, man, I've got to sig that one. love.gif
UndeadPoet
QUOTE (James McMurray)
Yes, if you have a group like Cain's that wants to try and break the system while ignoring common sense.

James, you should understand about the very abstract rule mechanisms of shadowrun. People do not actually have boxes that fill up when they get hurt, or have you ever heard someone crying "Oh no, it appears I suffer a -1 penalty to my dice pools, now, that you broke my nose!"?
Well, sorry for that... wobble.gif
The creators of shadowrun struggled hart to make the game as realistic as possible, but you have to ignore your "common sense" sometimes when playing shadowrun.
Kremlin KOA
QUOTE (Cain)

rotfl.gif rotfl.gif rotfl.gif

Oh, man, I've got to sig that one. love.gif

Thanks for the ego stroke
ixombie
I choose the called shot for vulnerable spot rule and thus lose 20 dice of dice pool (you must bypass ALL the armor)

Umm... You do realize that you can't called shot to bypass armor on targets without weak spots, right? You can't, for instance, bypass the armor of someone with full body armor, since the armor covers their whole body. That rule is for shooting someone in the head when they're not wearing a helmet, or other obvious weak points. You can't bypass the armor rating of a structural wall by shooting its weak point- assuming it has one, you have no idea where it is. Ares Citymasters do not have unarmored spots where you can just shoot through them and blow them up, the rules do not allow for it, only GM stupidity allows for it. Maybe, maybe the exhaust pipe would be a vulnerable spot, but then again if they're not morons Ares designed it with a truck-like vertical exhaust pipe which would mean you need to be hovering directly above the vehicle to shoot through it.
James McMurray
QUOTE (Kremlin KOA)

You can bypass a vehicle's armor by getting inside of it. All Luke did was lift the hood and fire at it that way. Getting up to the Citymaster and lifting its hood might be a problem, but nothing in life is free. smile.gif
James McMurray
If you want strict realism, then you definitely need to give SR4 a pass. All games involve characters doing things that would not be possible for normal people-- otherwise, what's the point? If you happen to like strict realism, that's fine, but then I think you'd have more fun doing your annual taxes.

Again, reaslitic within the game world. And again, intentional obtuseness only harms your position.

First you advocate for realism, then you say this? The problem with the Escape Certain Death clause is that it allows a character to survive a direct THOR shot. Anything that would kill the character mysteriously falls short-- that's not just the letter of the rules, that's the spirit of them. Unfortunately, that is not only a broken mechanic, but one that destroys suspension of disbelief; and if you as a GM decide to not allow it, you've definitely set up an adversarial role in your game.

The two are not incompatible. If someone gets hit by a THOR shot, no amount of edge will save them. But as I said the last time you tried that tact, if you're hitting your players with THOR shots there's a much bigger problem in your game than the edge rules.

Wrong. If game-breaking impossible situations occur on a regular basis due to the rules, and it could be prevented by a sane rule set, then it's not the player's problem at all.

Game breaking situations don't happen because of the edge rules, they happen because people try to abuse them.

I'd hate to see the sort of crap your group does pull; when players have to tread so delicately around their Gm, I really have to wonder.

Who's treading carefully? It's a partnership. They don't bother trying impossible crap and I don't bother telling them it isn't possible.

Besides which, this is about SR4, not our private gaming groups. Just because you're deluding yourself into thinking your players will never do this, that doesn't mean it's not an issue for all Shadowrun players to be aware of. You think it's not a problem because it won't come up for you? Let me make it clear: this is not about you. This is about Shadowrun, and how to make it a better game, more enjoyable for everyone. Flawed rules are a serious problem, no matter how many blindfolds you care to wear.

Ummm... Nice rant, but not really applicable. I'm not saying it's not a problem because I use a realistic approach to the game, I'm saying it's not a problem because any GM can, and probably should, use a realistic approach to the game if they want to avoid longshot test craziness.

The Edge rules not only allow for some truly hideous abuses, they're deliberately written to encourage them.

Which designer told you that? smile.gif

The only way to fix this is to alter the core mechanics of the game in a radical way-- no matter what you do, you've fundamentally shifted the entire base of the system. In short, to fix the problem, you almost need to chuck everything and start from scratch.

You keep saying that, but failing to prove it. Simply having dice pool penalties carry over into the edge dice also removes the problem and doesn't require changing the TN system. You don't like it because it makes some actions impossible, but that's your opinion about how a game should work. Others differ.

I don't know about you, but I don't want to be spending forty bucks on a game I'll never play-- and if I'm redoing everything, then I'm not playing it.

Didn't you already spend 40 bucks on a game you'll never play? *points and laughs*

The creators of shadowrun struggled hart to make the game as realistic as possible, but you have to ignore your "common sense" sometimes when playing shadowrun.

I understand that, and have actually said it before. There's no such thing as "common sense" when it comes to magic, for example. But just because you do it sometimes doesn't mean you should rewrite the system because you've elected to throw common sense out the window.

Umm... You do realize that you can't called shot to bypass armor on targets without weak spots, right?

I wondered aboutt hat, but don't have an SR4 book handy to look it up. Does it say that in the bypassing armor rules?
Moon-Hawk
Why wouldn't a citymaster have weak spots? Okay, I understand if you don't want any part of it to have zero armor, but it should definitely have weaker spots. The only thing that should have a completely consistent armor rating all over is, um, a chunk of....armor?
I agree that the bypass armor rule was for <100% coverage armor, but maybe there should be a corrolary rule for 100% coverage armor such as full security armor and citymasters, where you can bypass 1/2 of the armor by going for a weaker spot. Or something.
I don't know. Thoughts?
Kremlin KOA
QUOTE (ixombie)

Umm... You do realize that you can't called shot to bypass armor on targets without weak spots, right? You can't, for instance, bypass the armor of someone with full body armor, since the armor covers their whole body. That rule is for shooting someone in the head when they're not wearing a helmet, or other obvious weak points.

so those guys in LA with the full body armor never died?

Funny I had a recording of the radio logs for that

Turns out they were taken down by a cop who decided to ignore training and try to work out 'weak spots' o the target's FULL BODY armor

BTW the face plates weren't as strong as the chest stuff

You can't bypass the armor rating of a structural wall by shooting its weak point- assuming it has one, you have no idea where it is.  Ares Citymasters do not have unarmored spots where you can just shoot through them and blow them up, the rules do not allow for it, only GM stupidity allows for it.  Maybe, maybe the exhaust pipe would be a vulnerable spot, but then again if they're not morons Ares designed it with a truck-like vertical exhaust pipe which would mean you need to be hovering directly above the vehicle to shoot through it.

or the grill
or the headlights
or the spot where the headlights meet the superstrucsure
or the bit where the old hatches buckle slightly and never close properly after that
(real story behind tthe last one, some nutter in Perth West OZ stole a Police APC. the TRG (Aussie SWAT) shot a tear gas grenade into the weak point where the hatch couldn't close properly

oh and James... Luke never opened the hood, He just got up close to get a shot directly into a hole in the Grill.
James McMurray
So there wasn't a gigantic infrastructure that he flew into? We must have seen a different movie.
Kremlin KOA
open trench in 'A New Hope'

It was in 'Return of the Jedi' that they flew INTO the death star, and that was Lando

because in the next death star, they went out of their way to plug the hole Luke shot
James McMurray
Ah, different situations. Luke didn't ignore three (or 3,000) inches of steel by being lucky in that situation, he found a hole. That's a bit of a difference from shooting someone who is sitting inside a giant steel box. The box he shot at had holes in it.
Moon-Hawk
So do citymasters.
James McMurray
There are no holes in a city master's armor that will allow you to shoot someone sitting in the back seat without having to go through the armor.
Kremlin KOA
Not shooting the guy in the back seat,
shooting through one of the holes to sever theprimary fuel line and cause the vehivcle to be non functional
James McMurray
That's what happens when examples change in mid game. In my game, you shoot through the hole to sever the primary fuel line by bypassing it's armor with a good shot, taken by rolling your dice. That isn't how everyone plays it though, and that's cool.

I never said everyone has the same ideas of what is possible and what isn't possible. smile.gif

totally divergent though, as the discussion is about skills, not bypassing armor. Ever since armro bypassing ebcame possible some people have liked it and others have hated it. It's just one of the many things that are impossible that the GM might find himself having to say to say "no, I'm sorry, luck can't do that."
Azralon
Well, in any game system that allows skill to increase damage you might run into some conceptual problems eventually.

If Bob just did 50 HPs of disintegration damage to that foobar elemental, one-shotting it into oblivion, then how can Steve possibly do 200 HPs of damage to it? Did he somehow kill it more or something?

Or, another example: In SR3, you could make up a "Bullseye adept" and potentially turn a marshmellow into a lethal weapon. Just stage it up enough -- using the optional overdamage rules, of course -- and that little puff of foamy sugar could take down a troll cyberzombie.

How? I don't know. I do know that we were recently shown how to cinematically kill a little old lady with a complimentary airplane peanut. It took a little imagination on the part of the Daredevil screenwriters, but it was plausible enough for a tabletop game.

SR4 lets you potentially stage up any damage value into infinity. Obviously, destroying a building with a tazer round is extremely unlikely, but per the RAW it's possible. So it's up to the GM to contrive a method that the tazer round could lead to a chain reaction of destruction, or just outright decide it can't be done.

Me, I always had trouble reconciling how some little 4-foot-tall hobbit knockoff had the ability to kill a hundred-foot dragon with a little 6-inch pointy stick. But hey, that's what the D&D rules wanted to happen, so it did.
Kremlin KOA
not a taser round, buildingignores stun damage

EXEX round,Now we're cooking with gas
Azralon
QUOTE (Kremlin KOA @ Apr 20 2006, 12:34 PM)

But, Krem! I shot it in the sprinkler system sensor, creating a short-circuit that lead to disruptive feedback across the security grid that caused every electrical junction box in the building to spontaneously ignite. The fire will consume the entire building shortly since the sprinklers are offline and the security guys can't even call for help.
Ki Ryn
QUOTE (Kremlin KOA)
I am using an ares viper slivergun with GV 3,

You can't put a gas vent on a Viper.

Kremlin KOA
QUOTE (Azralon @ Apr 21 2006, 12:39 AM)
QUOTE (Kremlin KOA @ Apr 20 2006, 12:34 PM)

But, Krem! I shot it in the sprinkler system sensor, creating a short-circuit that lead to disruptive feedback across the security grid that caused every electrical junction box in the building to spontaneously ignite. The fire will consume the entire building shortly since the sprinklers are offline and the security guys can't even call for help.

'Great shot kid, That was one in a million!'

but on a more serious note

that is an example of when the rules flat out state that something is impossible

even with edge

even with longshot

The new system makes the incredibly difficult, or virtually impossible, a lot easier

the impossible is still just that

No GM ruling required there

oh and KI, in 4th the Viper's Integral suppressor does not use up the barrel mount, and the rule are inconclusive as to whether a burst firing pistol can have a gas vent
Ki Ryn
inconclusive? Heh, ok. In the same way that the rules don't say I can't put a gas vent on a dwarf so it must be legal.

But that's another thread.
Kremlin KOA
inconclusive in that they are a barrel mount, but pistols are not on the list of things a gas mount is mentioned for

even though another pistol starts with one
mfb
QUOTE (James McMurray)
That's what happens when examples change in mid game.

the funny part is, i'm starting to believe that you honestly don't notice it when you do the same thing.
Kremlin KOA
I want to know where i said I was shooting people inside the van rather than the van itself?
James McMurray
You didn't say it, but previous examples using a city master have been about shooting someone inside the van, so that's what was stuck in my head.
Kremlin KOA
so is that an apology for confusing me with someone else? if so accepted, and my own for thinking you were trying to twist my words
James McMurray
Yeah, that was an apology. smile.gif

Basically, the problem that started the whole discussion boils down to:

1) Longshot tests make the impossible possible
2) People will abuse this by stacking more modifiers onto an already impossible (without edge) roll
3) Therefor edge is broken

I've already agreed that in a group where people will try to abuse the rule problems can arise. My belief is that there's no need to rewrite the system (especially to the extent that Cain espouses) when all you have to do is fall back to the portion of the rules where it says the GM determines what can and can't be possible.

I don't have a book handy so I can't give an exact quote, but it's up to the GM to determine threshold requirements and dice penalties. Part of determining threshold requirements is determining whether it can actually happen.

Edit: and yours is accepted too. smile.gif
Moon-Hawk
But the problem is, and let me see if I've got this right, that with the current mechanic:
There is nothing between near guaranteed success with a longshot test vs. the GM declaring it impossible. Once edge is spent by a lucky character, there is NO "probably won't succeed" case.
Rebuttal: Threshold
Counter-rebuttal: Certain cases (like combat) always have threshold of 1, so in those cases argument stands.
Have I captured it?
James McMurray
Yep.

An alternative was given to apply the penalty dice also to the edge test, which makes characters with both skill and luck the best of the best.

A further gripe about that was that it makes some things impossible, so a gauranteed luck die with an increasing target number was also suggested. For a game where this sort of thing happens frequently but the GM is loathe to just make some things not be possible, the last is probably the best situation. I prefer a game where things that can't happen can't happen.
Kremlin KOA
QUOTE (James McMurray)
Yeah, that was an apology. smile.gif

Basically, the problem that started the whole discussion boils down to:

1) Longshot tests make the impossible possible
2) People will abuse this by stacking more modifiers onto an already impossible (without edge) roll
3) Therefor edge is broken

I've already agreed that in a group where people will try to abuse the rule problems can arise. My belief is that there's no need to rewrite the system (especially to the extent that Cain espouses) when all you have to do is fall back to the portion of the rules where it says the GM determines what can and can't be possible.

I don't have a book handy so I can't give an exact quote, but it's up to the GM to determine threshold requirements and dice penalties. Part of determining threshold requirements is determining whether it can actually happen.

Edit: and yours is accepted too. smile.gif

Ah
I see it a little differently

In my view

1) Longshot tests make the almost impossible, quite possible.
1b) FOr the Very lucky (edge 5+) They make the 'One in a million shot' happen a few times a session
2) People will abuse this by stacking more modifiers onto an already impossible (without edge) roll.
3) Therefor edge is Paradigm Changing.

Personally I believe the 'catch' for Mr Lucky is he is Dependant on Edge refresh for his concept to be at its best

Note also that the only way a player can affect Edge refresh is to give above avreage rp in scenes.

Therefore the Mr Lucky 'Problem' is self correcting in that to truly Munch it out, you have to give significantly above average roleplay

Thus I seeno reason to outlaw the longshot test being used for anything which can be done in the rules, within PC capabilities (not starting, if the PCs could reach that levelof power... see my pistolier above.)
James McMurray
Which works great for your games. smile.gif

What do you do when you tell the player "ok, that shot will be at -26 dice" and he says, "in that case, I'll also fire full auto with my eyes closed, standing on my head, and take a free action to stomp on a tack so I can get some wound penalties?"

-- Yeah, that's a silly example, but the only modifier that popped into my head that someone would want to tack on is the autofire. smile.gif
Kremlin KOA
I would suggest not standing on their head or standing on a tack, but I can see the cinematic appeal of "I can't make this shot on skill, close my eyes and pray."
James McMurray
Yeah, I can see that too.
Azralon
So it sounds like, depending on how you view the problem (provided you see it as a problem), the two potential solutions are:

1) Have the GM say "Sorry, but no matter what the Edge rules might say, you'll autofail this one."

- or -

2) Have the GM conjure up some Edge-related house rules to his/her satisfaction.

In either case, it comes back to the passage in the BBB that says the GM has the final word. What that word is will be up to the individual GM.

I think everyone's in agreement on that?
James McMurray
Basically, yeah. Except for some folks who think the only available answer is

3) rewrite the entire game system

biggrin.gif
Moon-Hawk
Edge can always be kept in the game, unmodified, but have it's effects diminished by controlling the refresh rate of edge. Doing the impossible easily is okay every now and then. If edge refreshes slowly, they won't be doing it game-breakingly often, I would think.
Azralon
QUOTE (James McMurray)
Except for some folks who think the only available answer is

I love those guys. They make baby Sisyphus cry.
Cain
Personally I believe the 'catch' for Mr Lucky is he is Dependant on Edge refresh for his concept to be at its best

Note also that the only way a player can affect Edge refresh is to give above avreage rp in scenes.

Therefore the Mr Lucky 'Problem' is self correcting in that to truly Munch it out, you have to give significantly above average roleplay

Actually, the point of Mr. Lucky, as I wrote him, was to demonstrate that he didn't need edge for his concept; it was just showing how you could have a rather extreme two-trick pony. One hyper-extreme area plus a disgustingly high Edge makes for a highly unbalanced character right out of the gate. Granted, you still need to have good roleplay, which is another reason why I'm loath to do what James does, and advocate for punitive measures to be taken-- some of the most powerful characters I've ever seen were handled quite nicely by some very excellent roleplayers, and it made the game much more fun.

Basically, yeah. Except for some folks who think the only available answer is

Except that #2 and #3 are the same thing.

The whole point of Edge is to make the impossible, possible. Once you reach longshot territory, the action is completely impossible without using Edge. The problem is that the impossible becomes overly easy with Edge, and there's no limit to how impossible you can get.

If you just carry over dice penalties, then you've killed the whole point of Edge; there will still be impossible situations. Only now, there is no way of making it happen. So, Joe Suit with Quickness 1, Edge 1, and no pistols skill now can't even pull the trigger in burst fire mode, let alone hit anything, with or without edge.

Once you start mucking with Edge, you're mucking with one of the core concepts of the game-- the Longshot test is baked right into the basic mechanics, and can't be removed without causing major shifts to the system. Once you start applying a passel of house rules to fix Edge-- which is necessary-- then you're already coming close to rewriting the whole thing.

Edge can always be kept in the game, unmodified, but have it's effects diminished by controlling the refresh rate of edge. Doing the impossible easily is okay every now and then. If edge refreshes slowly, they won't be doing it game-breakingly often, I would think.

You know, I keep seeing people say things like this, and I have to disagree. A skilled munchkin won't blow his big guns on every grunt who comes his way. Effective resource management is a needed ability for anyone who tries to break a game. It actually doesn't matter how often it happens; what matters is how badly things get broken when it does happen. If the climax of the game involves that Knight Errant SWAT team, and they're taken out with a single shot from an AVS, then the game gets broken for everyone; and that only takes *one* use of Edge, at exactly the right time.
Moon-Hawk
That's a good point that it only takes 1 edge to affect a situation. In my defense, I did say "diminished", not "completely solved".
I certainly agree that a clever use of edge can sometimes allow a group to effectively bypass a supposedly challenging obstacle. But just one obstacle isn't an entire run. There will be many, many obstacles, and if they "cheat" their way past one of them it's probably not such a big deal. But there is always the climactic encounter, as you mentioned, that you'd really like to go a little more according to plan. I definitely see your point. I can't help but wonder if you're overstating the problem, but I honestly don't know.
I definitely agree with you that it's a bit of a problem that, for a lucky character, there is nothing between easily achievable and impossible. At least not with threshold 1 action. That may be the best solution, though, is increasing the threshold. It's completely within the existing mechanic. If they start piling on modifiers once they're in longshot range, just increase the threshold. I know combat actions are supposed to be threshold 1, but to me this seems like the fix that requires the least change of core mechanic.
One thing though, you keep saying that Edge is broken, but is it all of the Edge concept that you don't like, or just longshot tests and 'escape certain death'?
Apathy
QUOTE (Cain @ Apr 21 2006, 02:25 AM)
The whole point of Edge is to make the impossible, possible.  Once you reach longshot territory, the action is completely impossible without using Edge.  The problem is that the impossible becomes overly easy with Edge, and there's no limit to how impossible you can get. 

If you just carry over dice penalties, then you've killed the whole point of Edge; there will still be impossible situations.  Only now, there is no way of making it happen.  So, Joe Suit with Quickness 1, Edge 1, and no pistols skill now can't even pull the trigger in burst fire mode, let alone hit anything, with or without edge.

How about if, instead of applying dice pool modifiers to the edge, you apply additional threshold modifiers? Like +1 threshold for each -3 die on the longshot test? So, say your Joe Suit character (Quickness 1, Edge 1, Pistols 0) tries to pick up the assault rifle and burst fire at the short range. The -2 for burst means that he can't hit just using his quickness (total dice = -1), so he does a longshot test with his 1 edge die. If he decides to run while firing (-2), that would give him a total modifier of -3, so you bump up his threshold from 1 to 2. If he's running away (-2) blindly firing over his shoulder (blind fire -6) on full auto (recoil -9) with 6 boxes of stun damage (-2), he'd have a net modifier of -16 (1Quick - 2 running - 6 blind fire - 9 recoil - 2 stunned), so you'd bump his threshold from 1 up to 6(1+16/3, rnd down). It's still theoretically possible, but the negative modifiers really impact the probability.

(Chance of 1 exploding die getting 6 successes ~ 1 in 23,000)
James McMurray
If you just carry over dice penalties, then you've killed the whole point of Edge; there will still be impossible situations. Only now, there is no way of making it happen. So, Joe Suit with Quickness 1, Edge 1, and no pistols skill now can't even pull the trigger in burst fire mode, let alone hit anything, with or without edge.

Didn't we just have a big discussion about carrying over penalties but always allowing one edge die that explodes, with a higher TN?
Apathy
QUOTE (James McMurray)

Didn't we just have a big discussion about carrying over penalties but always allowing one edge die that explodes, with a higher TN?

Yeah, I'm just voicing my personal preference for increasing threshold instead of TN.
Moon-Hawk
Obviously, increasing threshold has a cruder level of granularity than TN, but it is more in keeping with SR4's core mechanic.
James McMurray
That was a reply to Cain, who said there were no other methods, despite the fact that we had just discussed other methods. I prefer the threshold method myself, since it does fit SR4 better.
Cain
One thing though, you keep saying that Edge is broken, but is it all of the Edge concept that you don't like, or just longshot tests and 'escape certain death'?

Actually, I quite like the Edge concept, it's the execution that's horrifically broken. For example, simply making luck a purchasable stat is not a bad idea. If we use SR3 terms, I'd advocate for karma pool increasing by spending 5 karma, instead of the autoraise that generally happens. The problem here is that characters can start with horrifying amounts of Edge, and the rules not only encourage using it sa a major power play; the rules are written with that use of Edge as a core concept.
How about if, instead of applying dice pool modifiers to the edge, you apply additional threshold modifiers? Like +1 threshold for each -3 die on the longshot test? So, say your Joe Suit character (Quickness 1, Edge 1, Pistols 0) tries to pick up the assault rifle and burst fire at the short range. The -2 for burst means that he can't hit just using his quickness (total dice = -1), so he does a longshot test with his 1 edge die

Well, first of all, we'd need to change the longshot rules to allow exploding dice. Second, altering the threshold gets awfully wonky on opposed tests, which is why the rules don't allow it. It works well on unopposed tests, but when you're now comparing successes, things get rather iffy.

Yeah, I was replying to someone else. You can't solely carry over dice penalties as a fix, you have to leave in at least one exploding die in order to make it work. Problem is, you *still* have the massive modifiers issue if you're down to that one die; and we can't up the threshold without leading to some really wonky results. Upping the TN has seemed to be the most workable solution so far. It's also the furthest from the SR4 core mechanic, but that rather proves my point.

James McMurray
What, your point that the entire dice system needs to be chucked out the window? How does adding one clause to the longshot tests prove anything about that? It just shows that there is a situation inthe current rules set where a floating TN could work as a possible option, not that the entire system falls apart.
Kremlin KOA
When the core premise is fixed TN. adding a floating TN situation is a paradigm breaker

Kinda like what the Sidereals book did to Exalted
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012