Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why implant?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
James McMurray
What!?!? Star Trek isn't scientifically exact!?!?!? THIS DESTROYS MY ENTIRE WORLD VIEW! I WASTED ALL THOSE YEARS!!!
Voran
Heh, it just means SW has a greater BS ratio to their stuff than ST. Which, is actually rather impressive, considering how ST is.
Dranem
QUOTE (Cain)
There's only one advantage to cybereyes that I can tell: magicians can cast through them. No books handy, but apparently the old LOS rules still apply for spell targeting. Glasses are easy to circumvent, but contacts make things more difficult; and in either case, you lose your vision mods while you're casting. With cyber, however, you keep all your vision mods and can still cast freely.

As cybereyes are not meat, you cannot cast spells through them. Vision enchancers such as googles or magesight goggles will work, but any electronic means of enchancing your vision will not work with spellcasting.

I had a teammate mage with cybereyes, and the only way she could cast magic was by using Astral Perception or Projecting fully.
James McMurray
If you pay essence, you can cast through it. No page reference because of no books, but it's there (unless my entire group missed that change, which is possible, but would surprise me).
Dissonance
I got in on SR3, but I can't imagine that's _ever_ been a rule, Dranem. But the things people are saying about the goggles, though? I'm jiving with that. I could see a mage having to lift off the goggles in order to make with the slinging. I imagine most goggles work a lot like a digital camera display, in that you see an entirely digital image.

I figure it'd be easier than, y'know. Overlaying nanotech in glass or plastic.

EDIT: Ah-ha. Found the rule. Page 173.

A spellcaster can target anyone or anything she can see directly with her natural vision.  Physical cyber-or-bio enhancements paid for with essence can be used to spot targets, but any technological visual aids that substitute themselves for the character's own visual senses -- cameras, electronic binoculars, Matrix Feeds, etc. -- cannot be used.
Kremlin KOA
yeah overlaying nanotech on diamond would be easier than on plastic

oh and dranem NO! Cyberware is always part of you, the essence paid covers that. That was part pof SR back when the 'Essence integrity Theory' was the cpore paradigm behind essence loss
Crusher Bob
Notice that the optical mag vs. electronic mag in cyber-eye argument also goes back and forth. In SR2, your mage could use e-mag, in SR3, he couldn't.
Shrike30
The reasoning behind that was always bizarre to me. You can use electronic low-light, but not electronic optical magnification?

I figured it was a half-assed shot at "balancing" mages by requiring them to get the bulkier cyber for the same effect.
captainwhizz
QUOTE (Voran)
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Apr 10 2006, 02:11 PM)
one of the good scenes in the jonny mnemonic movie was when he used a fake id to make the neural storage implant appear as some sort of medical implant. i would guess that if you have a nice fake id, atleast your R implants should be ok for a public flight...

Another good part was when you thought Keanu got brain fried and died! But then they ruined it.

that fooled you? you should have realised that he could only have died if he had a brain to fry. shame on you *shakes head*

a mage can cast at a target he sees through upgraded contacts, glasses, goggles, etc- he just doesn't get the bonuses. this is provided that the functions on the glasses can be switched off, or that the images are overlaid onto the glass/ plastic. this is the way I imagine them to work, as I can't imagine contact lenses you can't see through at all.

speaking of which, and advantage of cybereyes/ eye implants over contacts or glasses:

if you're wearing glasses and someone smacks you in the face, bad things can happen to you...

you don't have to stop in the middle of a run and scrabble about on the floor because a cybereye fell out (unless you're in serious trouble! LOL)
Voran
Heh. I was being facetious. It was such a heavy handed moment that you saw it coming before he sat in the chair and started 'acting' all pained during the download wink.gif

captainwhizz
QUOTE (Voran)
Heh. I was being facetious. It was such a heavy handed moment that you saw it coming before he sat in the chair and started 'acting' all pained during the download wink.gif

I realised. it was witty banter on my part. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012