Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: metatypes unbalanced?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
captainwhizz
I'm not saying that SR4 is busted, or that GURPS is amazing (adding together multiple d6 rolls always creates a bias towards the centre of the range of outcomes), just that the Elf/ Dwarf thing struck me is odd.

At the end of the day, the people who wrote SR4 (hopefully) had a lot more experience in games design than I did, so I'll trust to their rules.

It just struck me as weird that two characters should be statistically identical for different points. I guess it's just because I was looking at designing a combat-ish character, and comparing combat-leaning races to less optimised races.
James McMurray
Elves have better charisma and wannabes following them, but their societal advantages are nowhere near the equal of the societal disadvantages of orks (at least not in games I've played in).
James McMurray
Yeah, try making an ork face witht e same points as your elf face. smile.gif

You also kept attributes fairly even across the board, but most folks that pick trolls by the numbers do it because they want to be really strong and have a really high body, and so generally don't end up with stats like that. The same would hold true for other races. If you're picking an elf it's robably because you want the high charisma and/or agility, and will likely dump more points into ti.
Brahm
QUOTE (captainwhizz @ Apr 11 2006, 06:50 PM)
As for others getting to Elf levels, only an Elf can have CHA 8, yes. But who starts with CHA 8?

As I pointed out, is it fair that you can have an Elf and an Ork with exactly the same stats, but the Ork is cheaper? It doesn't seem fair to me, and nobody has justified it apart from the capped attributes, which aren't an issue until you've been playing for a long time.

The point is there are lots of people that would like their character to end with 12 Agility and even a few that would like Charisma 13, which is the augmented maximums for an Elf, instead of augmented maximum of 10 or less that the other metatypes get for those Attributes.

The Elf with the same starting stats for a higher cost is paying for their top end pontential.

Hard to hang a Build Point value on that? Yes, yes it is. Because there are so many variables. But just ignoring it is even worse.
Glyph
QUOTE (James McMurray)
Yeah, try making an ork face witht e same points as your elf face. smile.gif

You also kept attributes fairly even across the board, but most folks that pick trolls by the numbers do it because they want to be really strong and have a really high body, and so generally don't end up with stats like that. The same would hold true for other races. If you're picking an elf it's robably because you want the high charisma and/or agility, and will likely dump more points into ti.

Exactly. Giving the different races the same base Attributes isn't a valid comparison. Neither is comparing the point values of the racial bonuses without looking at which Attributes are being boosted. Each of the races is better at certain niches, such as shamans for elves, muscle for orks or trolls, and so on. SR uses a wide open, point-based character generation system - not every possible choice should be as good as any other one. You can get the most bang out of your buck and play an elven pistol adept, or you can go against the grain and play a troll face.
jervinator
I just thought I'd repost this from > Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun 4 > Character Creation Min-Maxing 101

Human 0BP gives +1 edge = 10bp worth of improvements
Ork 20BP gives +3body +2str = 50bp worth of improvements
Dwarf 25bp gives +1bod +4str = 50bp worth of improvements
Elf 30bp gives +1agi +2cha = 30bp worth of improvements
troll 40bp gives +4bod +4str=80bp worth of improvements

So troll is the most efficient in terms of free starting BP, and elf the least efficient.
Of course this all depends on which stats you intend to increase, and by how much so you cant really calculate a karma efficency for them.

Not quite. The human's edge balances the metahuman's vision (low-light or thermographic), but your numbers neglect a dwarf's +2 vs pathogens and a troll's +1 Armor, as well as the altered stat maximums. (You GOTTA remember the maximums even at creation unless you never plan to earn any Karma.)

I got bored one night and reverse-engineered it. Add up the attribute maximums for your eight basic stats and Edge. Then add your Agility; it counts double due to it's usefulness. Now add (Maximum Initiative / 2), (Running move / 5), (toxin resistrance bonus / 2), and your Armor rating. Finally, subtract 66 and multiply by 10.

Human = 0, Ork = 20, Dwarf = 25, Elf = 30, and Troll = 40. Neat, huh? I dunno if this'll actually help, but I thought I'd throw this out here.
James McMurray
Seems like an awful lot of work for a coincidental endpoint. I somehow doubt that's the formula they used. biggrin.gif
Kremlin KOA
I dunno, somehow it seems right
jervinator
That was only ~20 minutes work. for me to come up with.

Just to show you what sort of g33k I am at times, I reverse-calculated the BV point values for BattleTech weapons so I could make my own and keep them balanced. THAT took me almost two days, but I got the values to within 1%. When you consider the sheer number of variables involved (including not limited to the 2d6 probability 'curve', missile hits table, minimum range penalties, and 'head-chopper' bonuses), this was a breeze.
James McMurray
And all it means it that you found a formula that works for the examples. It doesn't necessarily mean that any race (or weapon) based on the formula is balanced.
NightHaunter
QUOTE (jervinator)
I just thought I'd repost this from > Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun 4 > Character Creation Min-Maxing 101

Human 0BP gives +1 edge = 10bp worth of improvements
Ork 20BP gives +3body +2str = 50bp worth of improvements
Dwarf 25bp gives +1bod +4str = 50bp worth of improvements
Elf 30bp gives +1agi +2cha = 30bp worth of improvements
troll 40bp gives +4bod +4str=80bp worth of improvements

So troll is the most efficient in terms of free starting BP, and elf the least efficient.
Of course this all depends on which stats you intend to increase, and by how much so you cant really calculate a karma efficency for them.

Not quite. The human's edge balances the metahuman's vision (low-light or thermographic), but your numbers neglect a dwarf's +2 vs pathogens and a troll's +1 Armor, as well as the altered stat maximums. (You GOTTA remember the maximums even at creation unless you never plan to earn any Karma.)

I got bored one night and reverse-engineered it. Add up the attribute maximums for your eight basic stats and Edge. Then add your Agility; it counts double due to it's usefulness. Now add (Maximum Initiative / 2), (Running move / 5), (toxin resistrance bonus / 2), and your Armor rating. Finally, subtract 66 and multiply by 10.

Human = 0, Ork = 20, Dwarf = 25, Elf = 30, and Troll = 40. Neat, huh? I dunno if this'll actually help, but I thought I'd throw this out here.

Thanks.
I though the bp cost was quite accurate but not THAT accurrate!
captainwhizz
does that formula take into account the increased basic stats?
either way, I still doubt the fairness of the system, but I'll live with it.
Dv84good
Well I play with someone who makes troll mages. the troll can have
bod-6 agi-4 rea-5 stre-5 char-3 int- 4 log-4 will-5. All the important stat for this character are unpenalized except intuition. He is above average in most everything. Is this fair?
Shrike30
Given that he's 3 meters tall, has a hard time dealing with things like the back seat of a taxi, needs much larger objects than the normal meta to get "cover" and will probably be viewed with more suspicion than the average human runner if he tries to pass himself off as, say, an employee of a Japanacorp, then yeah, I'd say it's fair.

How're his knowledge skills? How's his summoning? Those are both pretty handy when you're a mage...
Azralon
QUOTE (Dv84good @ Apr 12 2006, 01:49 PM)
the troll can have
bod-6 agi-4 rea-5 stre-5 char-3 int- 4 log-4 will-5. All the important stat for this character are unpenalized except intuition.  He is above average in most everything.  Is this fair?

Up front, he's paying an extra 40BP and 120% of all normal gear costs. That'll be quite the fundraiser to get a high-force polearm focus.

In the long term, he's never going to be able to soak drain quite as well as, say, a human potentially could with all else being equal. Raising his physical stats is going to cost quite a bit, so he's less likely to spend his valuable karma on them (which sort of means they're softcapped).

Numbers aside, only the gaming group can decide if it's fair. Do the troll mages dominate the game more than a human mage could? If the group really thinks so, then you can feel free to call it unfair.
James McMurray
The size costs don't take effect during character creation, and only affect gear that is size specific. It could be argued that only the polearm part of that focus is affected by size, not the magical aspect.

There's a reason there's been a Troll combat Mage in every edition of SR. They can be pretty bad ass. They won't be as good at summoning probably, but everything is a tradeoff.
Azralon
QUOTE (James McMurray)
The size costs don't take effect during character creation, and only affect gear that is size specific. It could be argued that only the polearm part of that focus is affected by size, not the magical aspect.

True; I was subconsciously projecting my own house rules, which is a very bad habit. For the record:

QUOTE (SR4 p301)
Modified gear typically costs 110% of the standard price, though it may rise as high as 125%. The gamemaster determines when such cases arise. (As a rule, we suggest that metatype modification costs not be incurred for any gear purchased during character creation.)
Shrike30
... they suggest mod costs not be incurred during character creation?
James McMurray
Yep. I'm not sure why, but it's in there.
ThreeGee
There's a reason there's been a Troll combat Mage in every edition of SR.

Has there? In every edition? I remember my surprise at seeing the Troll Mage in the 3rd edition rulebook and only realized later they'd dropped the -2 Will mod that trolls had in earlier editions.
Butterblume
Yeah, in SR2 the combat mage was human. The guy floating 15 cm above the ground wink.gif.
James McMurray
Sorry, I didn't mean in the actual book, I meant as a talked about iconic possibility.
ThreeGee
Sorry just checked -1 will -2 int and -2 cha in 2nd edition, still pretty gimped as casters.
evilgenius
I always felt that the running / movement speed differences should factor more. Chasing and escaping become virtually impossible as a dwarf... Which may be accurate, but that limitation should be worth more in terms of build points...

Special vision should be valued less, considering that for a measly few hundred nuyen and 0.1 or 0.2 essence you could get the same damn thing. Plus, if you DO get cyber eyes, your "special" vision is gone...

Toxin / disease resistance is useful, but not nearly as useful as +1 armour and +1 reach...

I mean, for Orks and Trolls the social stigma justifies their relatively cheap cost in my opinion... But the dwarves posess a negative social stigma too (albeit a different negative). To me, it's the dwarves who get the "short" end of the stick in terms of build costs.
Azralon
QUOTE (evilgenius)
To me, it's the dwarves who get the "short" end of the stick in terms of build costs.

Ouch.
James McMurray
Special vision options are more valuable to magically active individuals and technomancers, who don't want the cyberware.

It's easy to get an extra die of armor, fairly hard to get an extra die of toxin / disease resistance.
Dv84good
QUOTE (Azralon)
QUOTE (Dv84good @ Apr 12 2006, 01:49 PM)
the troll can have
bod-6 agi-4 rea-5 stre-5 char-3 int- 4 log-4 will-5. All the important stat for this character are unpenalized except intuition.  He is above average in most everything.  Is this fair?

Up front, he's paying an extra 40BP and 120% of all normal gear costs. That'll be quite the fundraiser to get a high-force polearm focus.

In the long term, he's never going to be able to soak drain quite as well as, say, a human potentially could with all else being equal. Raising his physical stats is going to cost quite a bit, so he's less likely to spend his valuable karma on them (which sort of means they're softcapped).

Numbers aside, only the gaming group can decide if it's fair. Do the troll mages dominate the game more than a human mage could? If the group really thinks so, then you can feel free to call it unfair.

So a mage human can have Bod-3 agi-3 rea-3 cha-3 int-5 log-3 will-5. He can't add the 40 bp the troll gets add-in.Who gone to survive the fights.
James McMurray
Those 40 points can instead be spent on 10 ranks of skills (or 4 in a group). He could spend them on 200,000 worth of gear or a base edge of 5 instead of 1. IIRC you can start with 12 spells, which will cost you 36 points.

Mages are highly point intensive, tossing 40 into race is a hard decision.
Azralon
What James said.

40 BPs will pay for any starting magician's entire spell list and you'll still have some left over. 40 BPs pays for raising your starting Magic:1 all the way up to Magic:5. 40 BPs can buy a lot of foci goodness. Only 20 BPs can go into Positive Qualities like two levels of Focused Concentration.

It's a point-buy system. There will be trade-offs no matter what you do. Some are more efficient in the short term, some in the long term. You and your group just need to decide which is more important and spend accordingly.
Shrike30
I'm sure you can figure out how to spend 40 build points (the cost of the troll) in such a way that the troll's 4 more dice against incoming damage are compensated for by the human. Like, say, a Dodge skill, some spells, a Sustaining foci you cast Armor into... 200k nuyen.gif worth of BP have got to go *somewhere* useful...
captainwhizz
when talking about Troll mages vs Human mages, you don't *have* to spend 200 BPs on the Troll's attributes:

CODE

Human
BOD AGI REA STR CHA INT LOG WIL
 3   3   3   3   5   3   4   4
200 BPs

Troll
 5   3   3   5   4   3   4   4
175 BPs (135 for attributes + 40 for being a Troll)

so which of those has more BPs left for spells and skills?
James McMurray
You've convinced me. I'll never play another non-troll mage again (unless I want to avoid the hassles of being a troll). smile.gif
Dv84good
Dam right your convinced! smile.gif
Dv84good
QUOTE (captainwhizz)
when talking about Troll mages vs Human mages, you don't *have* to spend 200 BPs on the Troll's attributes:

CODE

Human
 3   3   3   3   5   3   4   4
200 BPs

Troll
 5   3   3   5   4   3   4   4
175 BPs (135 for attributes + 40 for being a Troll)

so which of those has more BPs left for spells and skills?

I think you should drop the extra cha points so troll and human are 3 and add log 5 and will 5. That way alll things are equal well as equal as they can be. so the troll would have +2 stre +2 body +1 reach +1 armour thermographic vision and +30 bps for other stuff against increase cost and some racial prejudice. Did I get everything.
James McMurray
QUOTE (Dv84good)
Dam right your convinced! smile.gif

Sorry, I stopped typing too soon. What I should have said was "You've convinced me. I'll never play another non-troll mage again (unless I want to avoid the hassles of being a troll or get the benefits of another race)." wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012