Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: im new, heres a theory
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Platinum
Oh ... I have a new reason that horrors will not win.... Ryan Mercury will have initiated 250+ times will also team up with Talon who will have become initiate level 500+ and kill them with a whim.
James McMurray
QUOTE (Lindt)
Just dont you DARE rezz any of those threads. Or someone will be getting the paratrooper devil rat attack squad dropped on they lame and soon to be bony ass.

Just wait till december. mmm k?

So we shouldn't discuss it in this thread, and shouldn't resurrect the old thread about it? Where are we supposed to go if we want to discuss it?

I've got an idea, why not just read the thread if it's so offensive? smile.gif

Also, what happens in December?
Platinum
I am assuming because the other thread is almost 500 posts long. I am 1/2 way through reading it .... it is actually quite thorough in explaining why we can beat them, but doesn't say much as to why we cannot other than the token "it says in the book that they are tough" I say we flood the world with FAB3 and kill everything awakened/dual natured.
James McMurray
That could work. Unless the horrors are unbeatable because that's what it says in the books. wink.gif
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (James McMurray)
So we shouldn't discuss it in this thread, and shouldn't resurrect the old thread about it? Where are we supposed to go if we want to discuss it?

To December.
Also, what happens in December?

We start discussing it again until mid-January. Most of the good debate happens on New Year's Eve/Day.

~J
hyzmarca
The Humans vs The Horrors just doesn't work because there neither The Humans nor The Horrors exist as homogeneous entities. The diversity of both groups procludes such simplistic debate. One must break it down into certain humans vs certain horrors and take into account the motivations of both.
toturi
But those books are not SR4 Canon/RAW. Soooo...

HUMANS! 101st Astral Drop Bears, gogogo!
James McMurray
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
To December.

LOL. If it bugs yo so much, don't read it. No need to try and boss people around when all you have to do is exert a little self control instead.

I don't know a lot about horrors other than they are supposed to be badass. The 6th world has a lot of badass stuff too. I think anything can be beaten, it's just a matter of how many fronts we would end up figthing on.

And keep in mind: if the Horrors return in canon, it will change the face of the SR world entirely. Whether we win or not might have a lot to do with how that change affects sales. If nobody buys a book about horrors returning, the horror onslaught will probably be fought off fairly rapidly. smile.gif

If they come back in a particular GM's campaign the results will depend upon the GM's vision of events and how the PCs' actions manage to influence that.

I like to think of the Horrors as the Shadows from Babylon 5. Vastly powerful creatures from out of the past that were almost completely unstoppable last time around. But when they came back, we gave them a run for their money (with the help of B5's version of immortal elves and dunkelzahn). The same could hold true for horrors in the 6th world.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (James McMurray)
If it bugs yo so much, don't read it.

There is a man with a gun behind me. If I don't read this topic, he will shoot first my family, then me. Under those circumstances, I will decline your advice.

~J
James McMurray
Doubtful, but if so, save the rest of us some annoyance and go ahead and refuse tor eply. wink.gif
Platinum
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (James McMurray @ Apr 15 2006, 08:32 PM)
If it bugs yo so much, don't read it.

There is a man with a gun behind me. If I don't read this topic, he will shoot first my family, then me. Under those circumstances, I will decline your advice.

~J

You are trying to appeal for compassion on dumpshock? Dude with the gun shoot him now...
hyzmarca
QUOTE (James McMurray @ Apr 15 2006, 08:32 PM)
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Apr 14 2006, 06:23 PM)
To December.

I like to think of the Horrors as the Shadows from Babylon 5. Vastly powerful creatures from out of the past that were almost completely unstoppable last time around. But when they came back, we gave them a run for their money (with the help of B5's version of immortal elves and dunkelzahn). The same could hold true for horrors in the 6th world.

It isn't an apt analogy. The Shadows were a single race with a homogenous government. The Horrors are an ecosystem unto themselves. Amongst the unnamed horrors are a variety of plants, animals, microbes, spirits, and things that defy classification. Some are sentient. Some are mindless. Some work together. Some act alone. Amongst the Named Horrors, all are sentient but none cooperate and all are unique. Named horrors are all lone hunters there is no Horror infrastructure to attack and no Horror leadership to surrender. One has to take on each one individually.

Some Named Horrors are businessmen and politicians by nature and easily integrate into metahuman society in those roles. Bonecrown the Usurper would make a great UCAS President and could probably convince congress to give him citizenship. Nemesis is known for his economic sense and accumilated a great deal of wealth through perfectly legal means during the Fourth World. These kinds of Horrors would live large and incharge during the next scourge because they don't have any loyalty to the other Horrors and only care about their own comfort. They would accumilate wealth and power through perfectly legitimate means and leave no room for anyone to complain about them.

Some, like Ristul, are intangible manifestations of an ideal and cannot be killed any more than a totem can be.

The only thing that all horrors have in comon is that they appear around the time of the Scourge. Other than that, there is little evidence that they are actually related.
Kagetenshi
Arguably Ristul has already appeared—or never went away.

~J
James McMurray
Sorry, I didn't mean to infer that they were one and the same, but on a broad scale they are incredibly similar: unbeatable nasties from when the world was young.
Wounded Ronin
Meh, if I wanted to do the save the world from the Horrors thing I'd just play CoC. Better for heroism anyway because you have hit points.
Grinder
But only a handful. Two hits by a pistol and you're dead. That's realistic, but not very heroic - playing Pulp CoC (with lot more hitpoints) is much better than.
Kagetenshi
My god, where in the hell did you two get the idea that mixing Call of Cthulhu and heroism was a good idea? CoC done right is as close to CreepWoodRun as you can get, but the other side isn't playing.

~J
Grinder
Depends on your group's style wink.gif I never played a Pulp CoC game, but I know some people who did and had a lot of fun.
Still, all chars went insane or got killed, despite their higher hit points value and all....

toturi
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
My god, where in the hell did you two get the idea that mixing Call of Cthulhu and heroism was a good idea? CoC done right is as close to CreepWoodRun as you can get, but the other side isn't playing.

~J

Why not? CoC vs CoH in the Matrix... woah...
James McMurray
Speaking of horrors, we'll be starting an earthdawn game here pretty soon. I made a human Swordsman with versatility for fireblood. it's only my second character ever, and my second time to play ED, so wish me luck! smile.gif
BookWyrm
QUOTE (Cogar)
Theory:
Imagine a world where the Megacorps didn’t exist, it was just the same ole world, the awakening still happens, but because there are no MC’s technology progress’ much slower then Shadowrun world. So you haven’t got Deckers, the matrix etcetc.
The magic gets to a point at which rifts can appear letting the horrors through, and the world is plunged into darkness. This is what I believe a lot of people foresaw and things were put into motion to create these “SHADOWRUNNERS”.

Against the horrors or whoever, standard awakened people would be butchered, however because shadowrunners were/are pushed to the extremes in all things TECH magic, etcetc earth now has a 2nd line of defence, if not first. And they can last a little longer.

Shadowrunners I believe from the cannon ive read, were a concept of some higher power to be the new heroes of earth smile.gif

discuss smile.gif what you reckon?

Reads too much like Palladium Books' Nightbane RPG story. Sorry.

The whole idea of SR 1-4 is to merge the traditional Cyberpunk concept with a (much better, IMHO) functioning Magick, adding edge to an already dystopian world. If you don't want Magic, try CyberPunk 2020.
Cogar
to everyone else..... ? thanks for the replys?!

to bookwyrm,

I love shadowrun, and i love the magick in it so i wont be trying cyberpunk 2020.

I'm talking from experience of the game ive played so far

i played... Harlequinns back, and i was intrigued by the bridge and the "Things" on the otherside (im not going to call them horrors from now on as that seems to flare discussion to some where where i dont want it to go)

Things are trying to come over, what i was putting forward was, we have all seen how manipulative the corps are, sooo why cant some one be manipulating events to make people Ready for anything thats comming?

dont get me wrong this is just a Theory/speculation and im not forcing this view on anyone i just want to discuss the possibilty and would like to gain some responses of people who have a good over view of cannon/fiction of the SR World biggrin.gif

peace out chummers smile.gif
Grinder
QUOTE (James McMurray)
Speaking of horrors, we'll be starting an earthdawn game here pretty soon. I made a human Swordsman with versatility for fireblood. it's only my second character ever, and my second time to play ED, so wish me luck! smile.gif

Out of curiosity (and sorry for the slight OT): which rule-set do you use?

Human Swordmasters rock, btw! biggrin.gif
James McMurray
The character was made with just h base first editon book, but the GM has ordered the second edition book so we may end up switching to that before he game actually starts. Next week's game is L5R, so we've got plenty of time to check out the new rules and see if we like them better.
Grinder
Maybe you should check out RedBrick's ruleset too. It's based on 1st edition but has a lot of minor and major corrections as well as other (imo better) talent progresions. you can get it for 24,99$ at DTRPg.com or wait some weeks for the hardcover to be released.
We use the rules for quite a while now and are very satisfied with it.
James McMurray
I'll use whatever someone else buys. Joblessness sucks. smile.gif
Grinder
biggrin.gif

Ah, ok. wink.gif But even then, surf over to www.earthdawn-classic.com and download the Discipline Design PDF. Very useful, it expands the options for character prgression and allows more flexiblity in your game.

http://www.earthdawn-classic.com/downloads...9YoOc?id=536182
Come at www.edpt.org and tell of your experience when you started the campaign smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012