Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Suppressive Fire question
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
dcpirahna
QUOTE (Shrike30)
Yeah, it's a little nuts for someone to be able to suppress with 4 passes like a fiend. It's just ridiculous to say that slow people can ignore suppressive fire until the next turn as long as it happens after their last pass.

They don't get to ignore it. They get a "turn" in the next action phase, they just don't get to do anything in it (except movement and possibly a "drop prone" free action).
Big D
After seeing this whole thread, here's a wild idea...

Shooter declares suppression. Anyone within the area is immediately targeted, but may declare a free action to (as usual) go full dodge or (this case only) drop prone. Anyone who chooses the latter may still act normally on their turn, but they start out prone and under a suppressed area. If the character is near the edge of the suppressed area, the GM could allow a roll to jump clear instead of prone, although that would probably use up the character's action for that IP.

Yes, that means that if you just stand there drooling, you get attacked potentially twice in a single IP. Best I can come up with, though.
Kanada Ten
Can you declare Full Defense after your last pass?
Moon-Hawk
I don't see why not. Wouldn't it just come out of your first action in the next turn?
Big D
That's my thinking.
Shrike30
QUOTE (dcpirahna @ Apr 24 2006, 01:40 PM)
They don't get to ignore it.   They get a "turn" in the next action phase, they just don't get to do anything in it (except movement and possibly a "drop prone" free action).

I don't see it mentioned anywhere in the rules that suppressive fire creates an actionless turn during a phase a player wouldn't otherwise go in.

It makes all kinds of sense to just handle all the checks for suppressing when the burst is actually fired. Let's say on IP1 Init 10, Sam suppresses the room. Twitch went on IP1 Init 14 and at some point used his free action already, so he's not going to be able to go prone until the next turn, since Twitch only has one IP. On IP1 Init 6, Max powerbolts Sam and makes his head explode, which is a reasonable reason to believe that the suppression ends at that moment.

Except, if we wait until Twitch's next turn (or even if we wait until this mysterious next "turn" in which he has no actions, but has so that we can resolve suppressive fire) to figure out the effects of the suppression, it might or might not (!) happen, because the guy who is supposed to be suppressing him is dead when the time comes to see if Twitch got hit.

There are so many bizarre situations created by not figuring suppression for everyone in the suppression zone when the suppression starts that it'd be inane to post more of them.

The rule says:
Any character that is currently in (but not behind cover or prone) or that moves in to or out of the suppressed area before the shooter's next Action Phase risks catching some flying lead.

The first have of the "or" statement is "currently in (but not behind cover or prone)." However you decide to handle the whole "can he use his free action to drop prone if he's still got one?" thing is up to you, but "currently in" says to me that you make the test immediately. The only times that the suppression test would not happen immediately would be the second half of the "or" statement: when someone "moves in to or out of the suppressed area."

Twitch walks into the room on init 14. Sam cuts loose on Init 10. Twitch rolls, gets hit, goes "ow," because he's "currently in (but not behind cover or prone)" the suppressed area. Max blows Sam's head apart on Init 6. Suppressive effect ends, because the guy doing the shooting is dead.
dcpirahna

The "moves in to" and "moves out of" both are quite obviously on the targets turn. There is no reason to conclude the third "or" statement would be otherwise from the text.

As to the rest, yes, if someone blows up their head the could suppression stop. The GM can rule that either way as it is not conclusive. When you shoot suppression in an area, it is not 20 bullets all moving at the same speed in a sheer wall of lead. They will not all get there at the same time. You are effectively spraying an area randomly throughout the span of your turn. Considering the rules are an abstraction of combat it makes perfect sense

Considering that someone earlier in the thread said that SR3 suppressive fire was also handled on the targets turn I still believe my interpretation is the most correct so far.

hobgoblin
i would say anyone inside the suppresion zone when it gets declared must take a imidate drop prone action or take damage.

after that, if one try to move into out out of the zone until the shooters next action, one may allso draw the attention of the shooter and therefor risk getting hit as he sweeps the gun over the area.

one thing tho, the SR rules do not have any info about trying to crawl. i would guess a strength number of meters would be fitting, without getting any hits from the suppression fire.
Big D
I would make it .5R*m for crawling safely instead of S, I think. Less to do with strength than quickness, and you're not going to crawl fast under fire.

At any rate, to sum things up, I think it sounds munchy but legal and somewhat realistic (dangerous word there) to spray wildly at a crowd, and get a suppression chance of hitting all of them rather than having to just target one of them. Then, if they stick around, or try to move into or out of the suppressed area while the fire is still going on, they run the risk of getting hit again.

I would probably rule, however, that if "suppressing" a crowd, you cannot hit more than 20 people... and probably no more than 5-10, because half of the shots will miss everyone altogether.

To balance this somewhat, the defenders get to use a free action (even if they've already used it for the IP) to drop prone, jump clear on a standing jump test, or declare full dodge (anything other than dropping prone eats up any actions they have in the next IP).

Still, a LMG with a long belt can wipe out several people in a single long burst, and keep the survivors pinned down for several seconds.
Clyde
Seems to me the fairest way to handle it is:

Characters are only subject to suppressing fire once per Complex Action spent by the firer. If you are in the area and not prone or behind cover, you are subjected immediately. You may then act normally on your turn (assuming you survive), because you were either hit or missed by the suppressing fire. If you weren't in the area, but you move into it, you are subject to attack when you enter the area. If you were in the are, but were prone and had cover, and you subsequently break cover or stand up, you are subject to attack when you do that.

Tactically, suppressive fire does not stop an enemy from shooting back (the purpose of real life suppressing fire). However, it does prevent the enemy from safely moving across open ground. This is useful in and of itself, of course. One example might go like this: Mike, the elf decker, throws like a girl. Fortunately, he throws high explosive hand grenades. Mike and Merle, his Merc buddy, are surprised by some corp goons on the Seattle docks. Mike spends a point of edge to go first, and wings a hand grenade towards the goons. Merle, whose wired reflexes let him outroll the goons for initiative, lays down heavy suppressing fire with his Ingram White Knight LMG. The goons are already in cover or prone (they're goons, not morons), but now they're faced with a cruel choice: they can stand around and let Mike's grenade blow them to bits, or they can run and get chopped up by LMG fire. Mike and Merle don't give a crap either way, really.
Big D
My only objection to that is that if you soak the first shot, then you have unlimited freedom to move or do anything else that you want. The rest of the bullets just ignore you.

If you remain standing when somebody sprays a LMG at you, maybe spending a point of edge to ensure that the shooter misses, and then charge the shooter with your katana and slice him in half because he's already gotten one shot at you (despite the fact that he's still shooting) and you can't be attacked again... well, that's cinematic, but a little odd.

Multiple hits from a single suppression sounds pretty munchy, until you realize what a pair of airbursts (one full action) would do to most of the folks in the suppression area.
DrowVampyre
Hmm, well, I'm certainly no authority on it, but I'd say that anyone in the area is subject immediately to the roll, as they are currently in the suppressed area. Then, on their turn, they can choose to immediately take a drop prone free action, thus not being subjected to a chance of being hit again. Seriously, there is a reason soldiers don't move in tightly packed formations with no cover when facing automatic weapons. And while it does seem nice to be able to hit so many people, potentially, with a single attack, if they move that way they're asking for it, same as if they moved in tight formation against a grenade launcher wielding opponent. Also, while many people can be hit, they have a better chance of dodging than if subjected to a normal attack (they add Edge dice, after all) and, if they are hit, they take the weapons base DV, not increased by the shooters successes.

Another issue with suppressive fire, however, is this: dropping prone negates the chance of being hit, right? But what if the 10m x 2m area you choose to affect just happens to include the ground? Say, shooting from an elevated position down at a courtyard, perhaps? Doesn't seem like dropping prone would be much help, then, unless you could get behind something...
CONAN9845
Well, if you are elevated, and shooting down at someone, maybe standing up would be considered prone.

My point is that, and I know this is an unpopular opinion with most, that the rules in Shadowrun have always been vague, and open to interpretation. In the end, ask your group, have a discussion, and then have your GM make a decision. It's that simple. You will NOT get it straightened out here.

Not that there's anything wrong with discussing it. That's what the forum is for, after all. I just think it's there's a time for a little common sense. Someone blasting a bunch of bullets at me means get down and stay down. If I had a character that didn't get hit by the suppression, and then they proceeded to use that as an excuse to stand there and act normally, I would impose a Willpower check to avoid scrambling out of the way (Gut Check, actually)... maybe even dock some Karma.
Shrike30
QUOTE (dcpirahna @ Apr 24 2006, 04:28 PM)
The "moves in to" and "moves out of" both are quite obviously on the targets turn. There is no reason to conclude the third "or" statement would be otherwise from the text.

We agree on what applies to people moving into/out of the suppression zone... it's pretty obvious that can only reasonably be handled when the person makes that movement.

Assemble the statement without the into/out of clause, though...
Any character that is currently in (but not behind cover or prone) or that moves in to or out of the suppressed area before the shooter's next Action Phase risks catching some flying lead.

becomes:
Any character that is currently in (but not behind cover or prone) the suppressed area risks catching some flying lead.

That's the only part of the statement that applies to people not attempting to enter or leave the suppression zone during their actions, and it says characters "currently in ... the suppressed area." How that ends up being characters "in the suppressed area when their turn happens to roll around, or during what would have been their turn if they happened to have a turn during that initiative pass, which they might or might not, possibly ignoring the fact that they were in a suppression zone for a while but might not be any more if the suppressing character died before their not-turn rolled around" is beyond me.
dcpirahna
You have A, B, and C.

B and C both mean on the targets turn. A (the word "currently in") can just as easily also mean on the target's turn. Because when it's their "turn", guess where they "currently" are. Sure, if you remove B and C the sentence can mean something completely different. I can find you lots of sentences that means something else if I can take out parts of the sentence.

But regardless. I know I am right, and you know you are right, so arguing over the word "currently" will solve nothing.

My interpretation has supressive fire as a tactical ability to keep people's heads down (as it is described in the first sentence). It effects everyone in the area evenly, and only once.

Your interpretation is an offensive ability that gives free damage against everyone in the area with a lower initiative score, and they can get hit twice in the same turn.

Feel free to use whichever is best for your player group.
James McMurray
Currently means now. There's not really a lot of room to argue if you're trying to say that it means later.
Big D
Please note that suppression isn't a complete freebie for the shooter.

Suppression only hits with the base DV of the gun, or at least it seems to read that way. The only modifier that seems to apply is the ammo.

It's still not a bad thing to do in the first turn, especially if you have a LMG.
hobgoblin
and it allso costs 20 rounds, no matter if you hit anything at all or not (tho i guess one could keep track of the number of bullets that hit so that you never pass 20 pr suppression action). unless you go belt, 20 rounds are about 2/3 of a clip.
dcpirahna
QUOTE (James McMurray @ Apr 25 2006, 01:49 PM)
Currently means now. There's not really a lot of room to argue if you're trying to say that it means later.

The washington monument is currently in Washington DC. 3 seconds from now, the washington monument will still be currently in Washington, DC.

If the player is currently in the suppression area, later when it is their turn, they are still currently in the suppression area.

"When this light turns red, I want you to sit down wherever you currently are." That doesn't mean sit down immediatly.

Regardless. We'll approach this scientifically and assume you are right.

A goes first laying suppressive fire at B. B cannot drop prone because it is not their turn yet. B rolls poorly and takes damage immediatly. On B's turn, the only movement B takes is dropping prone.

By giving B damage, you violate the last sentence in the paragraph. "Characters who are in the suppressed who do not move other than taking cover or dropping prone are not at risk."

You are directly conflicting that rule. There is no ambiguity there. Thus, the assumption is false. If you see any flaws in that proof, please tell me. I'd like to hear it. Now, while this doesn't prove my interpretation is correct it does prove that interpretation is wrong.
James McMurray
Letting them drop prone is what I would probably do. Or use your interpretation of what the word currently means. It's all good. smile.gif Until an official response comes there's too many things that conflict no matter which option you take for anyone to be 100% right.

I wasn't trying to espouse an interpretation, just pointing out that "currently" means "now." The Washington Monument is "currently" in Washington, DC. In 12 years, when it is sold to Disney, it will currently be in Florida, because "currently" changes with every second that ticks by.
Shrike30
Characters who are in the suppressed who do not move other than taking cover or dropping prone are not at risk

So, if I stand absolutely still, bolt-upright in the middle of the suppression zone, one foot directly in front of the person doing the suppression, I'm not at risk? Because that's what the rule you're tossing at us says.

"The washington monument is currently in Washington DC. 3 seconds from now, the washington monument will still be currently in Washington, DC" is a false statement. Currently refers to the present tense, three seconds from now is in the future. Three seconds from now, the Washington monument will then be in Washington DC (or in James' example, after it's sold to Disney 12 years from now, then it will be in Florida).

"When this light turns red, I want you to sit down wherever you currently are" causes continuity problems. See, when you make that statement, I'm standing near the doorway. In the time after that, I wander over to the window. Then you turn the light red, except I can't follow your order, because I have to sit down in the place I was standing near the doorway (when you said "wherever you currently are"), and by the time I go back to that location to sit, it will be *after* when you turned the light red. However, had you said "When this light turns red, I want you to sit down wherever you are then," you would have given an order that would not have continuity problems, were we trying to fulfill it literally and completely.

QUOTE (dictionary.com)
currently

adv : at this time or period; now;

If a character suppresses an area, and there's someone running across it at the moment the suppression starts, guess where he's currently located?
Kanada Ten
A turn is a period, therefore, currently can mean within the combat turn.
dcpirahna

re: currently. You are missing the point. It means "now" in respect to a time frame. That time frame is the same as the other two time frames. The target's turn.

re: the rule. No, choosing to "stand still" is a move. Standing still is not the same as dropping prone or taking cover. Thus you have made a move other than dropping prone or taking over and must roll.

Your example is still breaking a rule in the book. As does saying the person can drop prone before it is their turn. My interpretation does not.
James McMurray
Your interpretation applies the word currently to the future tense and allows for people within the area of suppression to not be at any risk if they are somehow moved before their turn rolls around.

While it's possible to link statements seperated by ors, it's not always valid. They may have meant currently to apply to the future (the target's turn), or they may have meant it to apply to now.

I'll also have to disagree that choosing to stand still is a move. If you don't do anything involving muscles you aren't really moving.

I really need to bring my SR book to this house. It makes debates so much more interesting. smile.gif
Shrike30
The current IP is also a period. So is the current Combat Turn. So is the turn during which a single character gets one free action and either two simples or one complex. So is the 6th World, for that matter. Suppression lasts until the suppressing character's next action, which would seem like a decent "period" to pick, if you were trying to steer away from "now."

But we get back to one of our earlier examples. IP1 Init 10, Dude A takes his only initiative pass and does nothing for whatever reason. IP1, Init 5, Dude B locks and loads his SMG. IP2, init 5, Dude B suppresses the area Dude A is standing in. IP 3, init 5, Dude B's magazine runs dry (he was using an MP5-TX), and he runs down the alley. Next turn on IP1 Init 10, Dude A isn't standing in a supression zone, despite having had 20 bullets fired his way.

One solution to this problem is the magically appearing, nowhere-else-in-the-rules "ghost turn" during which Dude A can get hit. If we want to use this interpretation, then Dude A gets hit with the suppressive fire on IP 3, Init 10, because he's standing in a suppression zone when his ghost turn rolls around. However, let's back up our example a little bit:

After starting his suppression fire on IP2 Init 5, Dude B is rocking out on full cyclic when on IP2 Init 2, Dude C gets hit because he (like A) is standing in the suppression zone. Not being happy about this, Dude C uses his two simple actions to give Dude A a double-tap to the head, and kills him. Now, Dude B doesn't *get* another action... he's dead. He's not shooting any more, so it doesn't make any sense that anyone else gets hit after Dude A dies. This puts us in a weirdass situation where the slower guy who would have had no opportunity to react to the suppressive fire (Dude B) *cannot* get hit, but the guy who DID have an opportunity to react to it (Dude C) *does* get hit, because he's faster.

You could always give the now-dead Dude B a ghost turn for his suppression to end on to get around THAT problem, but what happens on IP 3, Init 10 when Dude D walks INTO the suppression zone. Does he get hit? The guy "suppressing" the area was *dead* when D showed up, but to solve the whole "being slower is *gooooood* when you get suppressed" issue, the area is still suppressed. It gets even worse if dude B had suppressed on the last IP of the turn... now, despite being dead, he's rolling initiative to see when his next action would have been, were he still alive! And in the meantime, all of the guys who are currently in, were headed towards, or were possibly thinking of vacationing at the suppression zone are praying that they roll the lowest initiative score possible, so that their turn happens after the dead guy stops shooting at them.

Or, we could avoid all this, and just say that anyone currently in the suppressed area who doesn't have a free action to spare (they either used it up, or haven't gone yet) to drop prone or get cover checks to be hit when the shooting starts, on the shooter's turn. Until the shooter's next turn, anyone who wants to move into, out of, or around in the suppression zone that doesn't either have cover or prone-ness to protect their asses checks if they get hit on their turn.

Miraculously, all the questions about initiative order, multiple actions downrange, and dead shooters disappear when you do this, and you stop having people playing Statue downrange of machinegunners to avoid getting hit (because not moving means, you know, not moving... it doesn't mean that you're moving when you're not moving). Somehow, I have a feeling that the vastly simpler, much less loopholed interpretation of the rule is probably the intended one. YMMV, of course.

edited 4th and 5th paragraph
Kanada Ten
And just making them lose their next free action to drop prone or take cover when the shooting starts - in a manner jsut like full dodge - eliminates most problems, too.
Shrike30
Hey, there ya go. "Full Dodge" to the ground. smile.gif
CONAN9845
I can't believe we are having a debate about the meaning of currently. Wait... yes I can.

I think we should apply the whole "wait until the target's turn" to all shooting. It's my turn? Okay, I shoot that guy. 12 hits! Yes! He's SOOO dead! What? What do you mean he's not dead? I have to wait until it's his turn to see if he's dead? But he already acted, and only gets one pass, whereas I get two more? WHAT!? That means I have to wait until next TURN!? WTF!

There are no other instances in the rules where pulling a trigger and firing bullets at someone isn't resolved right then and there. It's absurd to think otherwise. It may not be wrong in the RAW, if that's your interpretation, but it just doesn't make any sense.

In the end, I stand by what I said before. Use what works in your group. I just know that if my GM was that crazy, I'd be packing it in and going home.
Kanada Ten
It is applied to all shooting - just look at Full Defense.
CONAN9845
That doesn't make it wait until the target's next action. That moves the target's "next" action to when they are being shot, if they decide to go that route. It's completely different.
Kanada Ten
But it could be treated the same. The only reason not to is to make Suppressive Fire more powerful, which is fine but seems counter to their wording.
CONAN9845
Counter to their wording in what way?
Kanada Ten
Somtimes a character may just use full autofire to make his opponents keep their heads down. This type of shooting - where the character saturates an area with bullets without specifically targeting anyone - is called suppressive fire.

However, I think the rules don't follow the intent well.
CONAN9845
Neither do I. If you don't get hit by it (whenever you have to roll that), you don't have any incentive to keep your head down, since you know you are safe. There was the same problem in SR3, where it was very hard to hit anything with suppressive fire, and once you weren't hit, you could do anything you wanted without fear. We always made characters roll Willpower checks (TN was 4 plus number of bullets directed at your square, up to the 10 of FA).

I suppose in SR4 I will make them roll a Gut Check Attribute-Only Test to see if they can do anything other than drop prone / take cover. Maybe the Threshold can be the number of bullets coming at them. Glitches can be used for that "pissing your pants" moment.
Shrike30
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
But it could be treated the same. The only reason not to is to make Suppressive Fire more powerful, which is fine but seems counter to their wording.

"Treated the same" how? You can already take your advanced Full Dodge action against suppressive fire, if you interpret it as happening on the suppressing character's turn.

I don't see how Full Defense shows attacks happening on the target's turn, rather than the shooter's. All Full Defense does is let you add more dice to your pool when you're trying not to get hit, and it has the option of spending your next action "in advance" to be on Full Defense before your turn actually happens. It doesn't actually change when the shots are fired, or when their effect is resolved.
dcpirahna

Shrike20, your own examples have the same problems with the shooter being killed that you claim invalidate mine. However mine don't violate the last sentence of the rules and yours do. I look at it as a tactical option of less offensive value as I believe the first sentence points out. You look at it as a more offensive option.

All of my points have been laid out earlier in the thread. Reiterating them to you is unlikely to change your opinion so I won't bother.

James McMurry:
Your interpretation applies the word currently to the future tense and allows for people within the area of suppression to not be at any risk if they are somehow moved before their turn rolls around.

No, they are still at risk. If someone else moves them, then they had still moved into or out of the suppression area while it was suppressed and so would need to roll on their turn to take damage before they get their action.
Hunga
I strongly agree with Shrike30's example and reasoning of full defense. I also agree with CONAN9845's statement that resolving any kind of shooting during target's turn just doesn't make sense.

QUOTE (dcpirahna)

I don't think so. We've already dicussed how a target can "move into or out of" hazard area by other means out of turn, such as being dragged, being tossed, standing on a moving conveyor belt, etc. The whole resolving damage on target's turn idea, which is mind boggling to at least a few of us, came from the assumption that a target only moves on his turn, which is false.
Hunga
QUOTE (dcpirahna)
Shrike20, your own examples have the same problems with the shooter being killed that you claim invalidate mine.

How does Shrike30's example have the same problem when the shooter's killed? The moment the shooter's dead, everyone is in the clear as there is no longer any suppressive fire. The people who were in the area and should be at risk had already made roll the moment suppressive fire started.

Basically, A opens suppressive fire at B and C. B uses his left over free action to drop prone, so he's safe. C doesn't have one left, so he rolls (as supported by rule "currently in").

Scenario 1:
On C's turn, he can drop prone now or move behind cover (that's near by) without having to roll again (as supported by the last sentence of the rule).

Scenario 2:
On B's turn, before C, he kills A from prone. So on C's turn, he can stay where he is without moving with no risk from suppressive fire again.
Aku
i'm not sure if i've stated this yet, but heres my take on it.

unless you drop prone ro take cover when supressive fire begins, you need to roll. if you take any action within the surpressed area, and don't STAY prone or behind cover, you need to roll.

so Goon A gets cought in some surpressive fire and can't take his free action (because he hasnt taken his first action yet and so can't take a free action, which is how i understand that rule) and so he rolls. if he does anything other than drop prone/take cover on his first ip, he has to roll again because the bullets are still flying his way.
James McMurray
No, they are still at risk. If someone else moves them, then they had still moved into or out of the suppression area while it was suppressed and so would need to roll on their turn to take damage before they get their action.

So they would roll to see if they were retroactively killed? What about the effects taht would ahve on the other parts of the turn that already happened? Do you roll back?

For example, Mr. Runner lays some suppression fire on mooks A and B. On A's turn he takes the fire and drags B away. Mr. Runner's buddy, Mr. Otherrunner, takes his turn, which he uses to run up and grapple B. Now B's turn rolls around, he makes his defense roll because he was moved, and he dies. Why on Earth did Mr. Otherrunner risk his life leaving cover to grapple a dead guy?
dcpirahna

I honestly don't want to argue it anymore.

By forcing people to roll immediatly you break the last sentence in the book. "Characters who are in the suppressed area who do not move other than taking cover or dropping prone are not at risk."

If you allow them to drop prone immediatly, you break the rules (p.135) regarding taking a free action before your action phase.

My interpretation does not break any rules in the book.

If FanPro releases more information and says "that's not what we meant" then I will be more than happy to change my point of view.

If you don't like those rules, feel free to not play in my games.

This is my last post on the topic.
James McMurray
Yes, your interpreatation leaves the rules intact, but it totally destroys the flow of the combat turn, messing with the very fabric of time itself. In that situation I'd prefer to change a rule.

I'd still be interested in hearing your answer to my question. Not to argue, just because I can't see a way out other than backing up to the point where suppressive fire would have killed the guy.
Aku
and i feel that line should be striken anyways. it is impossible for a metahuman to stay totaly and completely still in the first place, which is what you are implying they can do. i might, for shits and giggles, let a player try it. for the rest of the turn, they can literally do nothing, include dodge, fire, anything, because all of those things include movement
Shrike30
QUOTE (dcpirahna @ Apr 26 2006, 07:56 AM)
My interpretation does not break any rules in the book.

Fair enough. If we stick with how you define the terms "currently" (that is, to mean "now or later") and "move" (that is, to mean "move or hold still"), and don't mind creating ridiculous situations where a player sticking his head up the turn after his sniper buddy takes out the machinegunner can still be hit by suppressive fire the dead man fired off on the previous turn, and ignore the fact that characters who have a free action left over from a previous turn would be allowed to take it to go prone without even requiring the invocation of the "Full Defense" rule, then your approach to handling suppressive fire doesn't break the rules and makes total sense.

I'm going to stick with not hinging my arguement on a rule that says someone standing bolt upright in the middle of the street, not moving, is perfectly safe from the suppression fire I'm sending his way, and that doesn't require the creation of mysterious ghost turns for players to act in that don't exist anywhere else in the rulebook, and I'll try to interpret the rest of the section in a way that doesn't require the GM to alter the space-time continuum and occasionally have players undo their actions retroactively in order for it to work.
James McMurray
Sounds like a good idea to me. smile.gif
Hunga
QUOTE (Aku)
and i feel that line should be striken anyways.

The line in question:
Characters in the suppressed area who do not move other than taking cover or dropping prone are not at risk.

I don't think the line needs to be striken per se. But it definitely needs to be rewritten to keep in the spirit of things. I feel that line is meant to say that characters who have already made the roll on attacker's turn can drop prone or take (nearby) cover during their turn without having to roll again.

Characters in the suppressed area whose only movement is taking cover or dropping prone are not at risk again.
Shrike30
I might phrase it:
"Characters in the suppressed area who move into cover or drop prone are not at risk."
DrowVampyre
I'm with Shrike30 on this one, though I think the easiest way to fix this is, in the next errata, to change the final line to:

"Characters in the suppressed area who do not move other than taking cover or dropping prone are no longer at risk."
Aku
QUOTE (DrowVampyre)
I'm with Shrike30 on this one, though I think the easiest way to fix this is, in the next errata, to change the final line to:

"Characters in the suppressed area who do not move other than taking cover or dropping prone are no longer at risk."

no, i disagree, that still mkaes it sound like you can stand still while having lead flying at you, and not be in danger i dont think thats the way it's ment to be, i think it's ment to be that aslong as you are within the supressed area, until the fireing characters next turn, you are at risk, unless you are prone or taking cover
CONAN9845
Personally, I think that the last sentence, "Characters in the suppressed area who do not move other than taking cover or dropping prone are not at risk" is in reference to the first sentence, "Any character that is currently in (but not behind cover or prone) or that moves into or out of the suppressed area before the shooter's next Action Phase risks catching some flying lead".

You can't say that a character that stands like a statue isn't at risk because of the last sentence, since, according to the first sentence, he most certainly is at risk. The last sentence is saying that they aren't at risk because they didn't get struck by the suppression in the first place since they were already behind cover or prone.

I just can't stand when people who claim to know the English language have to read the rules of a game (NOT written by English professors), and then try to follow the letter, rather than the intent or spirit, of those rules.

But like he said, and I agree with him, he is allowed to have whatever interpretation he wants. Ours is an interpretation as well. As long as it works in his game, not matter how deluded we may think it is, then it's fine. He said we didn't have to play in his games. I, for one, am grateful for that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012