Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ideas for new gear
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Voran
QUOTE (FanGirl)
I'd like to be able to use incendiary devices and/or acid in the field, in case I need to destroy DNA evidence (like dripping blood) and the group mage can't do it himself for some reason. I can't find any such things in the gear listings; perhaps I'm missing something, but I can't see any way for me to burn something. Can someone make up stats for a lighter or an acid vial? Thanks!

Something we tossed around on the boards back in the SR3 days, (wow, looking in archives, it was around March 2004). I started with a higher tech thing, and we sorta worked it down to a more low-tech level, the bleach grenade. nyahnyah.gif Or alternately something along the lines of those bug bombs you can buy nowadays to 'fog' your house.

Granted that only works for enclosed, relatively small places, unless you have more bombs with you. But sometimes good old fashioned bleach in a spray bottle will work. Assuming you know where your blood landed and could spot-spray the areas.
Kanada Ten
QUOTE (evilgenius)
Great for suicide bombers, great for any sort of kamikaze troopers.

Better yet, regular (legal) simsense chips progs that have this algorithm implanted, just waiting for the signal to send the user berzerk. Or, to make the user think he/she's a Buddhist Monk who must give away all their worldly posessions to the person who approaches them - including all the nuyen.gif in their commlink.

Wonderfully wicked stuff!

I think I'm gonna make an NPC who's speciality is making these things and then distributing them...

Winternight pioneered this idea with their God Chips; you could make the NPC a leftover of the group.
DrowVampyre
QUOTE (juggertroll)
Anime is always a problem in cyberpunk/high tecnologic rpgs, like shadowrun. The most of the good ideas (and the irrealistic ideas) are too much powerful or too much complicated to transfer without any significant problems. Other thing is weapons from movies. I like the x-ray rail gun from eraser (the governator kills a middle numbers in this film, but commando is his master piece), but this weapon is to danm powerful for shadow run, because the grotesque armor piercing number. The damage is even worse, its like flechette in mach 5 speed with built-in suppressor (i remember the high velocity bullets in ghost in the shell).

Speaking of Ghost in the SHell and hypervelocity ammo, how would that translate? Insane AP and increased damage, but firing on full auto makes the gun melt?

And what about the thermoptic camouflage? The chameleon suit is similar, but not quite the same...
Big D
Thermoptic would be basically a technological equivalent of a weakened invisibility spell (see the ongoing discussion in that thread). Obviously, some things that magic might handle (smoke, paint, etc.), thermoptic might not.

GitS would introduce some really nasty issues into SR, though--Kusanagi would probably be a cyberzombie under the rules, the tank AI would cause a big stir after Deus, etc.
DrowVampyre
Yeah, I'm thinking the full conversions would have an Essence of like 0.0001, and would require a new cyberware item - the cyberbody!
James McMurray
There's already a cyberbody by getting 4 limbs, torso and head.
DrowVampyre
Well, sort of, yes. However, to get the full GitS body, it would require more - the only natural bit left on them is the brain, which is itself enclosed in a cybernetic shell. Since the torso and head are only shells, it's not quite the same.

Not that I'm trying to get the GitS body. But I know people who would...
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Big D)
Thermoptic would be basically a technological equivalent of a weakened invisibility spell (see the ongoing discussion in that thread). Obviously, some things that magic might handle (smoke, paint, etc.), thermoptic might not.

GitS would introduce some really nasty issues into SR, though--Kusanagi would probably be a cyberzombie under the rules, the tank AI would cause a big stir after Deus, etc.

Ruthenium Dermal Sheathing is the SR3 equivilant to Kusanagi's thermoptic skin. Just wait for the SR4 cyberware book or convert it now.
juggertroll
kusanagi is a android, so she is a even bigger problem in SR. About the termographic invisibility, when the 6 sector guys stole the project 2051 "body", the guys are not naked (i think), but kusanagi is always naked when the invisibility gear is on. In the start of the movie, the bald guy (the telephone hacker) uses a special trench coat to get the invisibility, but not a top notch gear (after the water get in the surface of the trench coat because kusanagi fire, the gear stop working).

I like the plasma mounted gun used by the Predator in the first movie. This idea can be used in SR??? I think is very experimental the use of plasma in SR.

Anyone remember the cement gun from hanna barbera swat kats cartoon?? this is very unusual, but is another way to stop people
Nidhogg
QUOTE (DrowVampyre)
Well, sort of, yes. However, to get the full GitS body, it would require more - the only natural bit left on them is the brain, which is itself enclosed in a cybernetic shell. Since the torso and head are only shells, it's not quite the same.

Not that I'm trying to get the GitS body. But I know people who would...

If you want a full cyborg, I think that you are better off playing GURPS Cyberpunk.
James McMurray
Nah, just build a full body cyberware character (no bioware). Work out a way to get around essence issues with your GM, perhaps by increasing costs. Buy mental stats as normal, with physical stats based off of the cyberlimbs. Add flavor text saying that your only meat left is your brain (or there's no meat if you want a full android). Voila! Instant cyborg/android within the character creation rules.

You'll have to figure out repair costs for when you take damage. They should probably be proportionate to the pay you're getting for runs at first so you can earn some cash and still be able to heal yourself when you take some fire.

Skills: have skillwires so you can run programs, with the ability to spend karma to integrate those programs into your AI as real skills.
Voran
Thermooptic would probably also be the chameleon suit + thermal shielding armor mods (in the same section as the fire/cold/elec/chemical protection mods) of the basic book. The thermal would be 'always on' if you went that route tho. SOTA64 had an active use thermal dampening suit, but it was described as bulky. I'm assuming the descrip in SR4main book assumes its another tech that's gotten hella easier to implement.
Voran
Browsed through some Appleseed today, and watching Briareos a bit, figured the bunny ears camera application might still have use in a SR world if attached to a cyber head, or combat helmet.

*kzaps the thread with defib paddles*
Serbitar

The Predator™ AWS (autonomic weapon system). A further step from Ares to the fully autarc soldier. The Predator™ AWS can be mounted on the leaft or right shoulder of the carrier. An ergonomic and skin friendly synthoplast automaticaly adjusts to the shape of the carrier and allows for maximum freedom of movement.

The AWS cosnists of an advanced drone pilot, servo motors, a sensor unit and the prime attack weapon. A highly adaptiveselection softwre is able to cope with the unforseen movement of the carrier and is able to target enemies securely.

Rules:

The Predator™ AWS is a drone(Pilot 3, Sensor 3) with Clearsight (3) software. Because the drone is mounted on a metahuman, is is subject to the following restrictions:

If the carrier is not explicitly standing still, the drone gets a -4 dice pool modifier for running attacker. the built in software allows only for shots that do not hinder the movement of the carrier. Only shots where the recoil is reduced to zero can be fired.

The maximum caliber of the mounted weapon is determined by the body attribute:

1-2: Holdouts, light pistols
3-4: heavy pistols, automatic pistols
5-6: sub maschine guns
7-8: semi automatic rifles
9-10: automatic rifles
10+: light machine guns

A Cybertorso enables the carrier to use a weapon of one category higher and allows 2 points of unreduced recoil to occur.
The weapon has an field of action of 270°as it is mounted on the carriers shoulder. It can thus shoot targets behind the carrier.
kigmatzomat
Biodrone Controller: this piece of cyber turns a living creature into a drone. It plugs into the hind brain to commandeer all voluntary muscles and interfaces with the sensory regions of the brain to generate input. A BDC has a built in transmitter for direct remote operations or it can interface with a Comm equipped with a Pilot/Agent. A BDC is often combined with skillwires to enhance the performance of the biodrone.

Biodrones are expensive. They have two mostly illicit uses at this time: converting criminals into living waldos for use in hazardous environments or as proxies for johnsons in high-risk scenarios. The former is usually restricted to those "detainees" that are already equipped with cyber/bio that makes them ideal for the hazardous environment. The latter are typically volunteers who are also highly trained & augmented commandos so if it does drop in the pot the BD reassumes control and opens the can of whoop-ass.

Biomorphic drones: these drones mimic living things. Cheap ones look like an Aibo but the most expensive can pass as living things even fairly close.

Humanoid Biomorphic drone: Aka "The android." A fully robotic humanoid drone. By default they have no innate skills beyond basic mobility and the use of any integrated weaponry. They can be equipped with skillwire-interpreter that allows them to use skillsofts, just like autosofts.

Rumors exist that a modification exists that can mount a cyberskull on or in an HBD (some say the braincase is placed in the torso). This is generally considered science fiction but urban legends say Walt Disney has been unfrozen and his brain installed in Pirate Drone#4, the one that looks like Keith Richards.
-X-
Forget BTL snuffsense! Imagine what very disturbed people would pay to do incredibly dangerous activities while rigging someone else's biodroned body! Takes 'going slumming' to a whole other level.
kigmatzomat
Yeah, but they'd have to be silly rich and not just a little bit insane for that. I'm thinking you might get something like "Being John Malkovich." Real stars would, I'd think, require there be an overwatch decker to make sure they didn't play chicken with a bus.

Eventually I think the "living waldo" aspect will extend to medical functionality. Each major hospital would have one professional waldo, with exception reflexes and hand-eye coordination, that could be a remote biodrone for any expert on the planet. That's probably ~5yrs away IMC.

The johnson/diplomat using combat monster as a proxy will be the first field tests of volunteers.

The humanoid biomorphic drone will be rare but is probably a better choice than a biodrone in hazmat situations. I figure the biomorphic will be cheaper than the cost of the BDC + care & feeding of a living biodrone.

The real ethical hoo-ha will be the use of brain-dead individuals as biomorphic drones.
Kanada Ten
Forget BTL snuffsense! Imagine what very disturbed people would pay to do incredibly dangerous activities while rigging someone else's biodroned body! Takes 'going slumming' to a whole other level.

Well, you can get a very similar effect with a simrig and a personality fix. Experiencing live feed from a simrig would feel just like being that person, having their emotions and thoughts along with the other senses in real time. Between skillwires and p'fix, the person could basically be you as well.
kigmatzomat
The difference is that a SimRig only lets you be a passive observer; at best you could provide verbal instructions. The BDC makes the person a passive observer in their own body.

the skillwire/personafix results in someone who is like you but not you. They won't necessarily say or do what you would but what you are likely to do. Plus, unless they have a simrig you won't be able to observe the action.
Kanada Ten
I'm not disagreeing, just saying the technology is already very close (simrig + skillwires + personality fix). Actually, I don't see why you can't have a "live" personality fix stream that literally superimposes your thoughts onto the person?
kigmatzomat
Oooh. I thought the biodrone was classic cyberpunk but having a live personality overwrite is.... brilliant. It's both far more invasive and yet far simpler.

The biodrone is possessed but the personality override is corrupted.

Oh very nice.
DrowVampyre
I'd like to see something similar to the ZF-1 from The Fifth Element. That'd make the runners fear those HTR teams more!
Voran
Something I saw in Underworld: Evolutions (aside from a giggly funny Part X not lining up with Slot Y love scene) was a nice not quite donut sized fuel air bomb/grenade. Any idea if that's possible in 'real life' and what its stats might look like?
Austere Emancipator
It'd be like a normal offensive grenade (ie. not a fragmentation grenade) only with a slightly larger lethal radius.
Nim
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
They actually have a RoF disadvantage: All railguns take a full CT to "charge up" and are Single Shot weapons, so they can be fired only once every other CT. Additionally, after 20 shots they require 10 hours of recharging. A Light Naval Gun is a "Semi-Automatic" weapon, while a Medium Naval Gun is Single Shot.

Just noticed this because of activity elsewhere on the thread. Anyway, when and if these make an appearance in SR4, I wonder if the RoF issues might have been removed. Worrying about the time it takes to charge the capacitors seems out of keeping with the 'power is free!' approach SR4 takes to most other things. Apparently there were some big advances in power storage in the 2060s....
Teulisch
the 'tool arm'. this is a cyberarm attachment that takes 8 capacity (so it fits in a obvious lower arm, or a full synthetic arm), and has all the most common tools used for a variety of technical skills. counts as a tool kit for hardware and cybertech, or armory and demolitions, or the mechanic skill group. tools retract into the arm, and can be used as a cyber-weapon if needed doing STR/2 P damage (less than hand razors, but leagl).

exo-plating. this is a new kind of dermal armor, consisting of a framework that covers several large portions of the body. detachable plates are adde to this frame, provinding superior armor. the downside is a lack of flexibility (reduce maximum agility and reaction by 1, both natural and augmented. also a -2 to swim). If used with a cyber-torse, it takes capacity instead of essence.
the exo-plating framework adds 1 body for resisting damage & calculating max armor. plates may add from +1 to +5 armor to both balistic and impact. essence cost is 1, or 5 capacity. plating is availible in rating 1 to 5. standard plating provides +1/+1 armor per rating. melee armor provides +0/+2 per rating. stealth plates provide no armor bonus, but are availible in ruthium and thermal damping. the different types are not compatable. legality R.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012