Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Un-Shadow-ee Players
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
tisoz
QUOTE (James McMurray)
Would you beat up your friend whose rogue just robbed the party and disappeared into the night at your weekend D&D game (or whatever similar situation may exist in whatever game you're playing)? If so, your friends need to find someone a little more stable to play with. If not, why would it be ok to do it to someone who stole from you online just because they're a stranger?

I thought it all stemmed from item farming and selling items and characters for actual real life cash. If your friend stole all your LARP gear or paintball equipment or gaming library, how would you feel? Edpecially if it was worth what the average person makes in a year?
Brontal
Meh, ok, I'm done. What do you guys think? Am I wrong about this whole situation? I can't help but feel like I'm being a 'bad guy' here by throwing the consequences at them when they are just having fun. Sorry for the rediculously long posting, I'm just a bit overwhelmed.

I think a good option to show the players how deadly and dangerous the world can be is to set up a run where the players are not alone, a situation where the players are supported by a few strong npc's. And then let those strong npc's die . Do not cheat or let an army of con guards appear out of the nowhere, just a "normal" firefight . Guards don't need to act stupid , for example they could concentrate theire fire on one runner at a time to kill one after the other , or use granades, retreat and call for reinforcement etc. .
Either the players become more carefull or ......
James McMurray
QUOTE (tisoz)
QUOTE (James McMurray @ Apr 30 2006, 06:34 PM)
Would you beat up your friend whose rogue just robbed the party and disappeared into the night at your weekend D&D game (or whatever similar situation may exist in whatever game you're playing)? If so, your friends need to find someone a little more stable to play with. If not, why would it be ok to do it to someone who stole from you online just because they're a stranger?

I thought it all stemmed from item farming and selling items and characters for actual real life cash. If your friend stole all your LARP gear or paintball equipment or gaming library, how would you feel? Edpecially if it was worth what the average person makes in a year?

I'd be really pissed, but that's something real.

Sure, if gold farming is your job and someone steals from you, that's real. But I doubt the beatings and murders were all because some gold farmer got ganked by a random group of opposing players. They were probably mostly from some punk getting pissed at some other punk for pissing on their fun and deciding to take the redneck route.
ShadowDragon8685
Nonwithstanding the fact that gold farming ruins the game for everybody who is not A: a gold farmer, or B: a gold farmer's customers, and all gold farmers need to be taken out back and beaten within an inch of their lives...

Bitter? Moi? Maybe.

But really, you'd be pissed off if one of the other players was selling nuyen for IRL dollars to the other players.
James McMurray
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)
But really, you'd be pissed off if one of the other players was selling nuyen for IRL dollars to the other players.

Nah. I'd wonder why I didn't think of it first. smile.gif
ShadowDragon8685
Mercenary!

Seriously, gold farming ruins MMOs. On top of the monthly fee to play, if you want to compete with those who do bisuness with the gold farmers, you have to pay more to some asshat in china so the guy who's running the gold farming sweatshop gets a load of money, and the bastard who just cussed you out gets a pittance.
Kanada Ten
Gold farming ruins MMOs because they resist it. The game makers could end it all by selling gold themselves since they will always be able to undercut the market. However, gold farmers and power levelers are actually a large chunk of the service, so no, they don't ruin it; they make it affordable / profitable to run the servers.
ShadowDragon8685
We're already paying to play the game twice at the least, sometimes many more times. We don't need to pay three times.

Let's see...

Pay 40-60 dollars for the box, 80 if you get the collector's edition...
Pay between 10 and fifteen USD a month to play. Heads up folks, that comes up to 120-180 USD a year. Not much for a year, but that's also a hefty library of Shadowrun books you could have purchased...

Not to mention any expansion boxes, which cost 30 dollars to buy, on average.

And on top of that, we should pay the game makers another 200 dollars to get the 200,000 gold we need to compete with that rich ass-tard who calls everybody a newb, even though the only reason he can win in fights is because his daddy gave him an unlimited creditcard which he has used to buy uber-gear?
Kanada Ten
Why not? It's just like a CCG, then. With the added ability to actually grind your way there.

Besides, there are games that max level and items in PvP (Guild Wars, for example).
ShadowDragon8685
Maxleveling is the worst and most horrific mechanic to restrict munchkinism that I can think of.

"Oh, I can't wear this helmet. What? Just put it on my head? Duuuuude! I can't just put it on my head! I'm only level twelve, and I has to be level fifteen to wear it! What? Won't it fit on my head? Sure it'll fit on my head! Put it on? I just told you, I can't doooo that, duuude!"

And it rarely prevents abuses anyway, because then they'll just switch to selling accounts.
Kanada Ten
Selling accounts /is/ fair. I'm not sure what you issue really is here. What does it matter if the person you're opposing has something because the earned it in game, or earned it out of game? Some mystical "that's not fair" tantrum?
James McMurray
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)
And on top of that, we should pay the game makers another 200 dollars to get the 200,000 gold we need to compete with that rich ass-tard who calls everybody a newb, even though the only reason he can win in fights is because his daddy gave him an unlimited creditcard which he has used to buy uber-gear?

Or you could just ignore the guy.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
Selling accounts /is/ fair.

You mean, aside from being against the TOS?

Characters and their virtual possessions are not your property. If they were, you'd be taxed on them.

~J
Kanada Ten
The intellectual properties of the password and userID do belong to you, and you should be taxed when you sell them. You're taxed when you buy them, after all.
Fire Hawk
I love the explainations that people have to deny the obvious.

The truth is, I never got into MMORPG gaming because I don't see the point of a game I have to keep buying.

Yet, some people deny this fact by saying "no, you're just buying the game once, then paying for server time! Yeah! That's it!"

Since I can't play the game without being online, that kinda means that I have to keep paying for it, right? All the while, I could be using that cash to feed my paper/pencil/dice habi-er, hobby, which actually requires me to think.

As opposed to an MMORPG, which is brain-rot in comparison...
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
The intellectual properties of the password and userID do belong to you

No, they don't—not unless they're unique enough to be covered under copyright or if you've applied for and been granted a trademark (hopefully on the username rather than the password). Moreover, the accounts and data on the server are not your property, they are provided as a service.
Yet, some people deny this fact by saying "no, you're just buying the game once, then paying for server time! Yeah! That's it!"

You don't have to keep paying! You can stop paying and fully enjoy the entire capabilities of the client when disconnected from the server.

~J
Kanada Ten
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (Kanada Ten @ May 1 2006, 08:54 PM)

No, they don't—not unless they're unique enough to be covered under copyright or if you've applied for and been granted a trademark (hopefully on the username rather than the password). Moreover, the accounts and data on the server are not your property, they are provided as a service.

That doesn't require a very odd username, you know. And since many services use email address, the issue of ownership is even more bizarre. I don't really care what these backwards providers think; the whole thing could be dealt with like lease transfers, but their too stupid to see that we've finally succeeded in the ultimate dream of video gamers: you can make a living playing video games. To try and stifle it only drives it underground - just like drugs and prostitution! It's like they never learn!
Fire Hawk
On the flip-side, there's always the prospect of a good ol' MUD. No flashy graphics, but (depending on the one you find) the playerbase will actually be more fun to hang around with (In Dragon Swords, we used to join up into 20+ player groups and go 'round slaughtering MOBiles.), and you never have to worry about people H4XX0|2ing the system/buying their way into higher equipment.

Plus, they're all utterly FREE (except for ValhallaMUD. Talk about defeating the purpose...)
hyzmarca
Money only matters if it can be used to buy things that mater. The best way to avoid powergaming through gold farming is to properly balance items so that the most expensive items are no more powerful than their cheapest counterparts.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ May 1 2006, 09:24 PM)
QUOTE (Kanada Ten @ May 1 2006, 08:54 PM)

That doesn't require a very odd username, you know.

From United States Copyright Office: Copyright Basics, "What is not protected by copyright?"

"Titles, names, short phrases, and slogans[…]"

It would require a very odd username to fall outside of that category.

~J
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Voran)
QUOTE (James McMurray @ Apr 30 2006, 06:11 PM)
Yeah, because obviously people should be killed for being good at video games. I take it you're not good at them? smile.gif

In a frightening way, its kinda a warning to be nice online (or in a game) cause you're not truly anonymous. In real life people get killed for being asshats. The belief that you're anonymous in a game or on the net sadly encourages some to be not as prudent with their interactions with people. It may be virtual, but stealing or talking smack or harassing someone can have the same real world consequences.

Exactly, exactly. The online environment is artificial because it lets people act up in ways that they'd be too afraid/pathetic to do so in real life. When you're playing a FPS at 2 AM and all of a sudden two people start bitching each other out over the chat channel for 15 minutes accusing each other of cheating, I have to believe they're either 12 year olds or have the mental maturity of 12 year olds. Now in real life, at a bar or something, those people would get their much-deserved STFU and savage beatdown cum humiliation. But online they feel more comfortable mouthing off, so it has a sick cosmic humor when even though they *feel* more comfortable mouthing off sometimes they aren't necessarily any safer.

Kanada Ten
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
"What is not protected by copyright?"

"Titles, names, short phrases, and slogans[…]"

So they belong to no one? I'm not sure that prevents you from selling it. I mean, can you make people pay you to tell them a secret? I'm thinking so... Sure, it may violate TOS, but again, that's provider enforced, not legal...

I would call BS on the US government since poems are sometimes one word, but it just doesn't matter.
Kagetenshi
Given that the US Government decides what is copyrightable within the US (input from the Berne convention aside), it does indeed not matter if you call BS on the government.

As for TOS, it is indeed not a legal matter. Fraud, on the other hand, is—if you sell someone your username and password, you're in the clear (and the account will be cancelled as soon as it is determined that the original licensee is no longer the individual using it, as is their legal prerogative). On the other hand, if you claim to sell them your character and their virtual possessions—something you do not own—you have fraudulently misrepresented your legal rights over the items in question and their transferability.

~J
Kanada Ten
Well, the courts actually make the ruling on the holder of the intellectual property, but again, it doesn't matter here. I'd love to see them arrest some chinese kid on the charge of for selling his "character". "What? No, I was selling my character; you know, my ethics."

Like I said, backwards services.
hyzmarca
----------

"The" : A poem

The

----------

Great, now I've copyrighted "The". Everytime someone uses "The" in a sentence they have to pay me $50 US.

That's why you can't copyright words and phrases.

TOS is a contract and violating a contract is a tort (assuming that the contract is legal on its face). Of course, as contracts go TOS is slightly less enforceable than a same-sex marriage certificate written in invisible ink on wet toiler paper. But they could try.
Kanada Ten
Actually, I'd let you sue if someone else wrote a poem called "The" with the subject of "The" spaced how you spaced it. Of course, you could only sue for the value of the poem, which is 0.
Kagetenshi
There, you have discovered how one-word poems become copyrighted—it isn't the word.

A word is not copyrightable. A work that consists of one word with one particular layout may be.

~J
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
Actually, I'd let you sue if someone else wrote a poem called "The" with the subject of "The" spaced how you spaced it. Of course, you could only sue for the value of the poem, which is 0.

Actually, I'm charging $50 per copy (except for the free sample on Dumpshock) so that's how much it is worth and, since I'm using MPAA/RIAA algorithims to determine my net losses from piracy that paragraph that you just wrote cost me $100,000,000.
ShadowDragon8685
Two ways to "solve" gold-farming.
Here's my favorite: Make every common item on the game server ridiculously cheap, to the point that any n00b can own one within an hour's work, and make every "super duper deluxe special item" a piece of junk with a very marginal boost in power over the super-cheap version, and ten times more expensive. This way those things become the "sunday best" gear that a n00b will wear out to strut, and you can tell that if someone is walkign around decked out in nothing but the super-duper 1337 "deluxe" version is either an ancient player, or a schmucktard who paid IRL cash.

This will never happen, because the next "super-duper deluxe!" that keeps coming ouit is what keeps the non-roleplayers coming back for more.

The other option is to flat-out undercut the gold farmers officially. This again does not solve the problem of your IRL cash being leveraged to get you an in-game benefit. This would be tatamount to paying Valve USD$100 for a "legal" wall-hack that Valve Anti-Cheat ignored.
Calvin Hobbes
One game that I saw handle farming very well is the Matrix Online game. There, agents show up and kick your ass if you're doing the same mission for very long, and anyone can perform modifications to items/item creation, devaluing the value of equipment, although I suppose inflation's always going to be an issue.
Voran
I suppose they could do something like Morrowind/Elder scrolls 3/4. You can wear anything you want, any time you want, but if your skill level isn't high enough you don't get the full benefits from the gear.
James McMurray
Coincidentally enough I just noticed that one of the advertisements circulated through at the top of the page is $1.50 for 1,000 platinum pieces in D&D Online. I guess we know the Dumpshock Official Stand on gold farming. smile.gif
Kagetenshi
Google official stance, actually.

~J
ShadowDragon8685
Google's official stance is "They pay us the ca$h-monie$, so until someone tells us it's illeagal, we put their ads up"
James McMurray
For a second tehre I thought you were telling me to google for the phrase "official stance."
Platinum
Just click on the adds at the top of the page ... and cost those gold farming slimbags some coin.
Taran
Actually, Google will remove specific ads from a given site if asked.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)
Google's official stance is "They pay us the ca$h-monie$, so until someone tells us it's illeagal, we put their ads up"

I've not been such a big fan of Google ever since they decided to help the People's Republic of China censor the internet.
hyzmarca
I have mixed feelings about google's human rights policies. On one hand, Google China is censored to PRC standards. On the other hand, Google has fought requests for information by the United States government and the main Google site is available Chinese uncensored.

Personally, I like that they sold adspace to disreputable internet pharmacies who give perscriptions to anyone with the coin to pay. I like that they sell ads to goldfarmers. I like that they are generally unscrupulous because I like the basic concept of lacking and and all ethical and moral standards while being legally savy enough to cover your ass.

That is why I watch Boston legal after all, to see lawyers who shoot people and get away with it, to see lawyers who cut off preists' fingers and get away with to, to see lawers who say "you should commit a crime but I can't advise you to do that because I'm a lawyer" and get away with it because they cover their own asses.

Now, part of me sees Google China as a way for Google to cover their own asses in China while subverting censorship by still providing the real service to anyone savy enough to get around government filters in the first place.

From this point of view, Google isn't immoral enough. They need to hire Shadowrunners to kil some people for them if they haven't already.

Of course, it is possible that I'm misreading Google's stance on China and they really do buy into the censorship BS.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012