Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cyberlimb Armor Question
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
DrowVampyre
Ok, so looking at the cyberlimb section, it says that you use the attribute of the limb if it's used for a test, the average of all limbs if more than one is used, or the lower attribute if fine detail is involved. It then goes on to give examples - punching uses the single arm's stats, running uses the lower of the two legs, as it requires fine coordination, and being shot uses the average of all the limbs and the natural body. Simple enough.

However, it dsoesn't go on to say anything about how cyberlimb armor functions. Considering there are no hit locations, and being shot uses the average of all the limbs and the natural body, would you use the average of all the limbs and the natural body for armor too? Say, if you had a cybertorso with Armor 3 and a Cyberleg with Armor 4, would your Armor rating be 2 (the average, rounding down, of the torso's 3, the leg's 4, and the natural body's 0)? Or do you add all the ratings together, for a total, using the previous example, of 7? And, either way, how does it react with other armors, including orthoskin and dermal plating? True, the limbs can't have orthoskin or dermal plating, but considering that the torso and skull aren't actually full replacements, rather shells, and that it isn't necessary to have the entire body cybered, they could still easily be on the same person.
Serbitar
Bware, this is partly house ruled, but it doesnt make sense any other way:

I calculate averages like this:
You have 5 bodyparts (excluding the skull,which is too small to count).
If you have a Cyberarm with body 6 and a natural boddy of 1, then your averaged body (is 1+1+1+1+6)/5=11/5=2.2=2
Under RAW it would be (1+6)/2= 3.5=4 this is stupid. Just look what happens when you add another cyberarm of body 2 (which is an improvement over the original body of 1)
House rule: (1+1+1+1+2+6)/5=12/5=2.4=2
RAW: (1+2+6)/3=3

under RAW, you body average gets lower! total stupidity.

I would calculate the average armor just like body. An orthoskinned body part just counts with the level of ortho skin it has.

For example, a guy with a cyberarm of armour 4 and orthoskin 1 would have:

(1+1+1+1+4)/5=1.6=2 armour

this should be added to any worn armour.

Thanee
There simply are no rules about how this is done in the book. Maybe future errata will include them. smile.gif

My house rule:

You add up the armor over all six parts and then divide by 4 (round down). Add this to your total armor rating (both actually) as a bonus.

Bye
Thanee
Rotbart van Dainig
..add up 6 values, then divide by 4? indifferent.gif
Thanee
Yes, that way you get up to +1 armor from every single limb.

I never said, that the intent was to take averages. wink.gif

Bye
Thanee
Squinky
One of many previous threads about this
last_of_the_great_mikeys
I would do this the easy way. Use the armour rating of the torso in general. If a limb is targeted in a called shot or other limb specific scenario, then I would use the limb. The only reason I think of this is because armoured vests seem to protect this way.

if any 2 limbs are armoured then I would use the 2 limbs or the torso, whichever is higher.

Whatever armour worn stacks.
Squinky
So, you would pretty much never need to bother buying armor for any other part of the body? Sounds wonky to me.

What happens when someone calls a shot on a cyber arm? Do they take damage or the arm?

Cyber-limbs are left vague, so you need to suspend your disbelief a little, else you are opening up yet another can of worms.
hobgoblin
problem is that cyberlimbs are left both vague and detailed, quite a feat realy...
last_of_the_great_mikeys
QUOTE (Squinky)
So, you would pretty much never need to bother buying armor for any other part of the body? Sounds wonky to me.

What happens when someone calls a shot on a cyber arm? Do they take damage or the arm?

Cyber-limbs are left vague, so you need to suspend your disbelief a little, else you are opening up yet another can of worms.

Let me answer you. smile.gif

That's right. It keeps it simple.

They take damage and if the arm had no armour then no armour modifier wold apply. It was paid for with essence and damage is abstract. GM's may feel free to say the arm needs repairs and assign whatever modifiers they see fit later.

This is my suggestion. Feel free not to take it. smile.gif I like keeping things simple and keeping the game moving.
Squinky
Okay, I can respect that. My opinion differs, but thats cool.
James McMurray
QUOTE (Squinky)
Okay, I can respect that. My opinion differs, but thats cool.

Due, this is Dumpshock. When your opinions differ you're supposed to argue until you're blue in the face, preferably with a few random insults tossed in to spice things up. wink.gif
last_of_the_great_mikeys
James, it appears Squinky and I have opinions on that matter that differ from yours. I have decided to take your suggestion. Thus, I must verbalise publically the fact that your mother wears combat boots. I expect your return insult forthwith! wavey.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012