Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: an old edge/flaw in the new game.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Kanada Ten
But that seems to agree with me, in that psychosocial maturity desired by society is naturally harder to reach due to the complexity of society. If you're suggesting we regress to a hunter-gatherer social modle in order to match sexual maturity with mental maturity... Well, let's say that I don't think these types of groups had high level reasoning abilities.

...one can still assume that a 14 year old has the maturity to function in a hunter-gather society, which includes the maturity to make basic reproductive choices.

But they didn't get to make these choices, did they? For the most part, chioce was made by dominates much older.

Hey, you might like this, The Descent of Man
James McMurray
Interesting info, but not very applicable outside the stone age. Are you now suggesting that our daddies buy us guns while we move to a prehistoric utopia? rotfl.gif
fool
ALright, since my attempt to bring the thread back on topic instead devolving into a giant flame war, I'll throw in some gasoline.
You can't really consider the issue of age of consent and reproduction without considering the dynamics of gender inequality.
A really god recent example of how this plays out in our modern society is the state of Kansas passing a law that defined all underage sex as statutory rape, even between two juveniles.
When the A.G. was on the stand at a trial contesting the new law, he was asked if a juvenile male performing oral sex on a girl would be illegal; he aswered yes. When next asked if a juvenile female performing oral sex on a juvenile male would be illeagal; he anwered he didn't know.
Chew on the ramifications of how gender plays into this whole arguement ya';ll are having.
TO get back intot he shadowrun universe, in SSG they talk about sex somewhat, and explain that virtually everything goes except anything that is coercive, including exploitation based on emotional dominance. This of course can work both ways, Lolita or grown ups being the dominant one.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (James McMurray)
That said, there are some incredibly stupid things in our (USA's) laws concerning "legal adulthood." The biggest of which is also the most widely mentioned: why can someone fight and die for our country at 18 but can't have a beer until 21?

...that was part of the rationale the State of Wisconsin had back in the 70s when they reduced the age for everything (Beer & Liquor) to 18. It used to be two tiered before that - 18 for Beer & Wine, 21 for the hard stuff.
hobgoblin
hmm, i still think there is a tired system for that here in norway, so its not only in us states that things are a bit "wierd".

still, age of concent is 16 i think, alltho lower can be ok as long as both parties are about the same age and some other stuff. going by vague memory now so...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012