Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Movies with some shadowrun themes......
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Doc-Pond-Water
I am trying to put together a list of shadowrun like movies. With themes along the lines of the game. Johny Nemonic comes to mind, the headware memory and the monofilament whip screams shadowrun, and well I know there are others out there but I can not think of them frown.gif I saw the skeleton Key a few months ago and it made my voodoo character more vivid, although the movie sucked, Anywho if you know of a movie with some links to shadowrun please add it to the list.

Aaron
James McMurray
Equilibrium is a good one.
mfb
New Rose Hotel, if you can find it. the only Gibson-based movie i've ever been able to watch with a straight face (and even then, i could've down without the fifteen minutes flashback/replay/exposition thing at the end of the movie).

Heat and Ronin are good, in terms of plot, along with any number of gritty crime flicks. there aren't many movies i can think of that deal with the whole loss-of-humanity-to-technology thing. Gattaca, i guess?
Dranem
Blade Runner comes to mind...

Gone in 60 seconds (for the life on the streets)

You could even include - to some small degree:
Mission Impossible
Sneakers (actually this is a perfect example of a Shadowrun team)
Hackers
Oceans 11
The Net

Umm.. I'm sure there's other's but I can't think of any off the top of my head.
Fresno Bob
Strange Days and Tetsuo: The Iron Man come to mind.
SL James
QUOTE (Dranem)
Gone in 60 seconds (for the life on the streets)

Indeed. Nothing screams gritty to me like a Bruckheimer movie.
Voran
In an odd way, Aeon Flux was sorta one. Though, personally, during the scene were AF and her cohort were doing a site breakin across the garden/deathzone, I couldn't help but think:

What the hell kinda security setup is that? Your dagger grass is activated, your machine gun trees are activated, and no security rigger NOTICES?

Oh wait, no rigger. I woulda had a rigger plus some drones and that woulda been one dead hottie and one dead chick with...hands for her feet?
Dog
Robocop is a good example of cybermancy and big heartless corporate thinking.

Ghost In The Shell, of course.

28 Days Later is a movie about ghouls.

Big Trouble in Little China: backstreet urban magic.

Breakaway, (starring Dean Cain,) a straight-to-video crapfest, captures the essence of shadowrunning. Okay, it doesn't. But I'm in it, so take a look.

The ubbergeek
The two Golgo 13 (and the uber-rare live action thing with Sony Chiba) had something Shadowrunnesque... A perfect sharpshooter and a cold killer. Legal.
blakelander
I would add Swordfish, w/ Travolta.
Lindt
The Sting, w/ Paul Newman and Robert Redferd.
Toptomcat
It'd take a very unusual group to play a run like The Sting.
I'd love it, though.
NightHaunter
There's a very bad B movie called Nemesis, it's fairly shadowrun like.
nezumi
The Search Feature. It's full of Shadowrun movie goodness.
Mister Juan
There has to be some sort of macro that makes up a "SR movies" or "SR music" thread every month. Anyone keeping track of what number this one is?
Dog
I'd wager that most threads by this point are repetitions of earlier threads. It's a shame that they die, but I'm kind of resigned to the fact that no one bothers to ressurect them.

The original "Femme Nikita" was very SR. I know there was a TV show made after it, but I never saw that.

There's lots about the street-espionage and the techno, but what about portrayals of the more arcane stuff?
The Stainless Steel Rat
QUOTE (Dog)
I'd wager that most threads by this point are repetitions of earlier threads. 

I'll take that wager. I think it's instead a limited number of threads that repeat ad nauseam:
  • Shadowrun Flavored Movies
  • Background Music for Shadowrunning
  • What caliber do you think a Heavy Pistol is?
  • How can we fix Body Armor?
  • Adepts vs. Sammies
  • Sex with Ally Spirits
There are others of course, but by no means most of the new threads...

@ topic : Way of the Gun
Moon-Hawk
Don't forget "Agent DOS attack" and "Cyberlimbs - WTF?"
Smilin_Jack
Replacement Killers - runner double-crosses the Yak and gets into all sorts of trouble.

Transporter 2 - runner hired as bodyguard who loses the protectee then gets into all sorts of trouble.

Avalon - think Miracle Shooter but purely in hot VR.

Wiz In Red
Entrapment with Catherine Zeta Jones and Sean Connery was a good example of how shadowruns tend to go...the planning, execution, getting screwed at the end. The part I didn't like was the happy ending. In SR, Connery would have used the chute, and Jones would've been geeked.
The ubbergeek
Taxi (the french original), the two (the oens I saw). Nice something for car freak riggers, maybe.

Jean reno had some rather nice flicks who may inspirate for Shadowrun.
Kyoto Kid
...probably already mentioned these on one of the other movie threads.

Sneakers ("...a burglar, a spy, a fugitive, a delinquent hacker, and a piano teacher... And these are the good guys" Yeah, reminds me of a former shadow team I was once part of, & my character was the piano player.)

Hackers (OK so the idea of a "Gibson" MF is a bit passe but Angelina was so "cute" back then)

The Net (Corps got power to make anyone SINless - especially when you are deemed a serious threat)

Italian Job (The Original, accept no substitutes)

The "LA" Job (Italian Job remake, for those who want more up to date tech)

Die Hard (the first one in this franchise only)

Broken Arrow (actually used part of the premise in my "Rhapsody" arc)

Enemy of the State (one of my faves - same as The Net but with the Government as the bad boys. "Damn, I loved that blender...")

Taking of Pelham One Two Three. (Classic metropolitan hijack for ransom case. With a few twists could be an excellent premise for a run that is "on the clock".)

Telefon (Now use your imagination and think about those mind manipulation spells we have at our disposal "...miles to go before I sleep Dimitri, miles to go before I sleep")

As for recent releases...

The DaVinci Code. (Heck of a run. If you didn't read the book, you didn't know who to trust. Just like a few Johnsons I've known)
psyberian
Ok, horrible...horrible movie. But Mission Impossible III at the beginning when kidnapping the terrorist., resuing the girl, and the team rescuing the terrorist all good shadowrun teams. Hell we got a good rigger at work in that last one.
FanGirl
The Fugitive! Half the people in the shadows are there because the one-armed man framed them, right?
Shrike30
Just a warning... you may have to know my group to understand why this is a Shadowrun movie:

Beavis and Butthead Do America

Seriously. Those two guys are hired to assassinate a woman and later, to smuggle a bioweapon across the country, managing to evade detection via social engineering, shutting down the power on a third of the nation, going on a spirit quest, and in the end infiltrating our nation's capital carrying a weapon of mass destruction... ALL WITHOUT BEING AWARE THEY WERE DOING IT. That's so many of the SR games I've seen, it's scary.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Dog)
I'd wager that most threads by this point are repetitions of earlier threads. It's a shame that they die, but I'm kind of resigned to the fact that no one bothers to ressurect them.

The original "Femme Nikita" was very SR. I know there was a TV show made after it, but I never saw that.

The TV Show is actually much more Shadowrun than the movie. The movie ends on a rather upbeat note, as action movies tend to do. The good guys win.
The TV Show only becomes darker and more morally ambigious as time goes on. Nikita is employed by a government agency in the movies and that agency is ultimentaly accountable for their actions. While they are painted with a grey brush and obviously don't want Nikita to excape their are morally tollerable. In the TV Series, Section is an sprawling idependant orginization with enough secret political power to give orders to the Unites States and many other countries (which are always followed blindly and without complaint). Its intentions are obviously good, protecting the innocent, but it is painted with a much darker brush than the orginizations in the movies. Operatives are under constant threat of death and they are tracked 24/7 via implant. Section had intentionally proped up Sadam's regime to avoid the chaos that would follow his downfall. They never concerned themselves with individual lives and went so far as to deliver children to serial killers/rapists in exchange for information. But over time, Nikita becomes less of the hereo and begins a moral inversion. She comes to feel that Section is the lesser of all evils and transforms into something more closely resembling the amoral above her than the idealist she originally was. Likewise, the cold and ruthless bosses that were a thron in her side for so long bravely sacrifice their own lives for their ideals in the face of her corruption as she works her way up the ranks.

Also, a mary-sueish plot device from her distant past shows up in the final season. It comes so completely from left field and provides such an unfair advantage that it would be right at home in most Shadowrun novels.
emo samurai
What happen?
nick012000
Somebody set us up the bomb.
Muzzaro
Anyone mentioned eXistenZ? I found that very surreal, but it reminded me alot of cyberpunk/shadowrun.
DrowVampyre
The Matrix. The first one only, though. Perfect for the new SR4 hackers, or if we ignore that they're in a computer system instead of real life, heavily cybered/bioed sams or adepts. Especially the lobby shootout.

Also, the series Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex is a good example of the other side of the shadowrunner's world.
Perssek
I agree on the MI:III - they have riggers, people with wired reflexes (see the part on when they´re going to rescue the downed agent and Ethan shoots a guys IN THE HEAD with his last bullet. In slow motion), infiltrators and whatever.

A WHOLE LOT of B-movies would make good runs.

Supernatural tells the story of two adept brothers hunting evil spirits across the NAN.

Lone Star: Criminal Intent is a very short show on how the LS officers hunt down the most dangerous criminals in New York. It takes about 5 minutes from assenssing the crime, colleting the guilty, receiving the evidence from the lab, taking them to court and then to be killed while on the way to the penitentiary.

Well, at least that´s what comes now to mind.
SuperFly
There's a full page dedicated to this topic on http://www.s-run.com with the creme of the crop of SR movies.

What I see a lot of people failing to realize is that not all cyberpunk/action/spy films/tv series are Shadowrun-esque. Sure, they might be great and give you ideas, but I've seen Sneakers -- and to this day vehemently disagree with people who classify it as a "Shadowrun movie". This goes the same for Robocop, Max Headroom (I debate on this one, as some episodes are pretty damn SR-esque in my book), Mission Impossible, and the ilk.
There have even been people caliming Fight Club and Star Wars as great SR-esque films.
SL James
QUOTE (SuperFly @ May 25 2006, 06:02 PM)
but I've seen Sneakers -- and to this day vehemently disagree with people who classify it as a "Shadowrun movie".

Explain yourself, hu-man.

Vehemently.
crimson ronin
QUOTE (NightHaunter)

i own that movie and i liked it a lot! it was very shadowrunesque i suggest everyone run out and find it! the tech and weaponry were cool
Dog
QUOTE (SuperFly)
There's a full page dedicated to this topic on http://www.s-run.com with the creme of the crop of SR movies.

What I see a lot of people failing to realize is that not all cyberpunk/action/spy films/tv series are Shadowrun-esque. Sure, they might be great and give you ideas, but I've seen Sneakers -- and to this day vehemently disagree with people who classify it as a "Shadowrun movie". This goes the same for Robocop, Max Headroom (I debate on this one, as some episodes are pretty damn SR-esque in my book), Mission Impossible, and the ilk.
There have even been people caliming Fight Club and Star Wars as great SR-esque films.

Well, I don't agree with everyone's suggestions either, but I like hearing new ideas that I might not have thought of. Plus, you gotta consider that what any person suggests as a good SR movie tells you a lot about what sort of SR game they're involved in.

See, I'd never have suggested Star Wars as an SR movie. But now I'm thinking about an SR game with a Star Wars style to it.... does that mean I'm doing something wrong?
Grinder
Just watched X-Men 2 yesterday... it had a very cool fight, between Logan/Wolverine and his asian female counterpart. Both had spurs on their had and used them very much in that fight. That's how I imagine two real sammies go for it in a close combat.
SL James
She died like a punk, though, which sucks. I much prefer how the Reavers got taken apart (literally) in the Uncanny #280-series issues.
crimson ronin
yes it was a cool fight except that getting cool pigstickers like wolverine doesnt somehow confer the same fighting ability personally i think nightcrawlers teleporting fighting style was actually transferred best from the books
if x-men were an sr team i dont see what kinda mission theyed fail on i mean the even got to the president!
Grinder
QUOTE (SL James)
She died like a punk, though, which sucks. I much prefer how the Reavers got taken apart (literally) in the Uncanny #280-series issues.

Her death was dumb, yes. But I guess the script writer simply didn't have a better idea how to kill a girl with the regeneration power wink.gif

Don't know the comic, so: the Reaver?
Butterblume
Freejack.

It has a bad megacorp, sinister secrets, and Mick Jagger as a likeable villain (with a big helmet).

And chasing scenes in the near future with APCs and other Vehicles on the bad guys side. After which I modelled my Lonestar Patrols wink.gif.
SuperFly
QUOTE (Butterblume)
Freejack.

It has a bad megacorp, sinister secrets, and Mick Jagger as a likeable villain (with a big helmet).

And chasing scenes in the near future with APCs and other Vehicles on the bad guys side. After which I modelled my Lonestar Patrols wink.gif.

I need to see this movie again.
SuperFly
QUOTE (SL James @ May 25 2006, 08:22 PM)
QUOTE (SuperFly @ May 25 2006, 06:02 PM)
but I've seen Sneakers -- and to this day vehemently disagree with people who classify it as a "Shadowrun movie".

Explain yourself, hu-man.

Vehemently.

It's a very poofy movie. Granted, I haven't watched it in 3-4 years, but the whole reason I saw it those frist times was because so many people were screaming about about how it was THE Shadowrun movie...

So i watched it, and it was just Robert Redford playing Robert Redford leading a bunch of misfit criminals on some form of heist/swindle or another. Big whoop. Pretty formulaic, not fantastically entertaining.

In fact, the only thing that's memorable about the film for me is that it's NOT a Shadowrun movie.
SuperFly
QUOTE (Muzzaro)
Anyone mentioned eXistenZ? I found that very surreal, but it reminded me alot of cyberpunk/shadowrun.

I've heard this before. Is it worth seeing? What's it about?

All I know is that it's a David Cronenberg movie.
Butterblume
I liked eXistenZ. It's not easy to explain what this film is about without giving to much away (and this film works best if you don't know, trust me wink.gif ). I wouldn't count it a shadowrun movie, though.

IMO it's well worth seeing, it is a little different than most movies ...
Prospero
You know, I generally like Cronenburg, but I thought exiztenZ was just about the worst movie I have ever seen. I mean, really, really horrible. Ugh. But the idea is kinda Shadowrunnish, I guess.

Anyway, saw Ong-Bak: The Thai Warrior last night. love.gif Wow. I reapeat: Wow. I haven't been that pumped up by a marital arts movie in... probably since the first time I saw Jet Li. Tony Jaa is going to be HUUUUUGE. Muay Thai phys-ad extraordinaire. In a lot of ways, the movie is very standard marital arts movie fare, but the fight scenes were so electrifying they had me jumping out of my seat. Jaa just radiates cool. Besides his unbelieveable Muay Thai moves, a couple of the scenes made me think of Parkour as well - how he got over and around obstacles. I now really, really, really want to make a Muay Thai phys-ad. The scene where his pants are on fire as he's kicking thug hoop made me think that would be a cool way for Killing Hands to manifest - sort of a ghostly flame around arms and legs. Plus, the film has a mysical side, with the whole Buddha head that Jaa's character is after being some sort of focus or magical protection for his village. Just fantastic. If you like martial arts and you haven't seen this movie - do so. Immediatly. You'll thank me.
creatorlars
Speaking of Cronenberg -- what about VIDEODROME?

Intercepting video frequencies, hijacking neural brainwaves, hallucinatory biotech.

Not really much of a run, but I could see this movie working extremely well as sort of a proto-Shadowrun module, like Shadowrun 2015 or something.
Smilin_Jack
Does this count? I mean it could be about a supa sekrit elite adept initiatory group. rotfl.gif

NightHaunter
QUOTE (crimson ronin)
QUOTE (NightHaunter @ May 24 2006, 10:42 AM)

i own that movie and i liked it a lot! it was very shadowrunesque i suggest everyone run out and find it! the tech and weaponry were cool

Yeah, but i've seen wooden planks and anchovies act better than that!

But the tech is kinda cool.
Grinder
QUOTE (Smilin_Jack)
Does this count? I mean it could be about a supa sekrit elite adept initiatory group. rotfl.gif

Following the only cool totem! cool.gif biggrin.gif
mmu1
QUOTE (Prospero)
Anyway, saw Ong-Bak: The Thai Warrior last night. love.gif Wow. I reapeat: Wow. I haven't been that pumped up by a marital arts movie in... probably since the first time I saw Jet Li. Tony Jaa is going to be HUUUUUGE. Muay Thai phys-ad extraordinaire.

Meh... Ong-Bak is a nice movie, and some of the stuff he does is impressive as hell, but Jaa - maybe it's just me, but as far as I'm concerned, he's got all the charisma and screen presence of a cardboard cutout, and the voice of a 12 year old girl.

... and if he's really the 5'8" his official bio claims, then the average Thai male would have to be about 5'10" - or they just picked all the tallest people they could find to be extras in this movie.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012