Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Movies with some shadowrun themes......
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Arethusa
You aren't supposed to watch Ong Bak as a normal film. The acting throughout is unrepentantly terrible, and not just from Jaa. That isn't the point. As a martial arts movie, it's up there with Lee. Hell, better, even. Lee was more charismatic, but that really is not the point.
mmu1
QUOTE (Arethusa)
You aren't supposed to watch Ong Bak as a normal film. The acting throughout is unrepentantly terrible, and not just from Jaa. That isn't the point. As a martial arts movie, it's up there with Lee. Hell, better, even. Lee was more charismatic, but that really is not the point.

Great, but I still don't think that's going to make Tony Jaa "huge", at least not worldwide. When it comes to being a star, charisma is precisely the point.

If I just want to see people get kicked in the head, I'll watch UFC...
++ [ tfxr ]3.0 ++
No one has said Escape from New York?

An eye-patch, spandex urban camo pants and a brown bomber jacket with gadgets, the Imgram Smartgun and a designer poison to kill you if you don't get the job done in time? C'mon Snake Pliskin was one of the original Street Samurai.

How about Ghost Dog; Way of the Samurai?

( Oh, as with all good b-movies, the lack of proper acting gives Nemesis its charm )
Willowhugger
The point I think isn't that movies should be suggested because they're Shadowrun movies they should be suggested because they have elements of Shadowrun inside them.

My personal Top Five would be....

* The Terminator and Terminator 2

Mostly because it's the best to represent the idea of unstoppable killing machines going after people with tech skills but significant less ability to use it.

* Bladerunner

For the whole "weird world" atmosphere of the future where everything is run down and collapsing.

* Big Trouble in Little China

Mostly because it's great on every level. It also fits gang culture plus magic.

* The Warriors

Mostly because it employs a bunch of VERY weird concepts that are meant to be based around how divorced from reality it should really be.

While it's possibly blasphemy. Cyberpunk 2020 had a bunch of articles there....

http://www.talsorian.com/cp_cinema_1.shtml
DrowVampyre
How about The Fifth Element? It's pretty Shadowrun-like to me, though a bit more advanced witht eh flying cars and all. But the attitude is similar.
Vadohc
Payback with Mel Gibson. There's no technology or magic - in fact, it's set in an earlier period than it was filmed. (Actually, Payback was a remake of a '70's film. I forget the name, but I was introduced to the original in a film class.) However, the themes are very Shadowrun-esque. Thieves planning and executing a heist, betrayal, an angered Triad gang, an organized crime syndicate, corrupt cops, and a pervading sense that the bad-guy protagonist is actually a good guy in comparison to the rest of the scum populating the screen. Not to mention Gibson's portrayal of a small-time but streetwise criminal with a lot of useful skills and resourcefulness . . .

Anything that paints the world in shades of moral gray has some SR in its tone, IMHO.

I, Robot would be another one I didn't see mentioned in the previous posts. Advanced technology, monolithic corporation, and shades of the Renraku arcology to boot . . .
Afghani Pepsi Smuggler
It's really suprised me that noone so far has mentioned Munich.

None of the tech, sure. But the Mossad hit-squad, and what they go through, they reminded me very much of runners.
SuperFly
I just saw the Extended cut Johnny Menmonic for the first time, which is the closest version to the director's intent -- and I am totally blown away at how much better of a movie it is!! Even the moments of really piss poor acting are tolerable with the original ambient noise and loud riffs of the original score.

It's like watching a completely different movie -- and not only that, but a GOOD movie as well! It's only available in Japan and/or through bootlegs, but is DEFINATELY worth any attempt to locate and see.

P.S. There's even a scene where a newsreporter broadcasts "Live with Edison Turner", which is an obvious homage to Edison Carter from Max Headroom.
ronin3338
I haven't seen it in a long time, but what about Brainscan?

Or Eraser and The 6th Day?

The Total Recall series on Showtime (other than being on Mars) had some great "shadowrunny" elemants too.
Sicarius
has anyone said "Wall Street?"
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (Grinder @ May 26 2006, 06:52 AM)
QUOTE (SL James @ May 26 2006, 10:50 AM)
She died like a punk, though, which sucks. I much prefer how the Reavers got taken apart (literally) in the Uncanny #280-series issues.

Her death was dumb, yes. But I guess the script writer simply didn't have a better idea how to kill a girl with the regeneration power wink.gif

Off Topic:

I really, really, really thought Wolverine should have slashed off the back of her neck, removing that stupid "mutant-control acid-drop dot" and then she would've been all "Woaah, what the fuck have I been doing for that crazy fucker?! Hey, let's go cut his head off."

Nope. They had to kill her. Well, technically, she's probably not even dead, just full of adamantium and buried under a ton of water and secret faccility. That might be part of X-Men IV, that someone dug her up and freed her from the adamantium. Which I imagine would have been an exceptionally bloody mess, hopefully not shown on screen.
Willowhugger
How about the movie DOOM for a mission with "too little information."
SL James
QUOTE (Grinder @ May 26 2006, 04:52 AM)
QUOTE (SL James @ May 26 2006, 10:50 AM)
She died like a punk, though, which sucks. I much prefer how the Reavers got taken apart (literally) in the Uncanny #280-series issues.

Her death was dumb, yes. But I guess the script writer simply didn't have a better idea how to kill a girl with the regeneration power wink.gif

Don't know the comic, so: the Reaver?

Reavers

They were annihilated by Trevor Fitzroy's future Sentinels in a move designed to wrest control of the Upstarts from Shiobi Shaw (whose ring, representing his leadership, was taken by Fitzroy through the severing of Shaw's finger).

To prove his success, he appears with a group of Sentinels, one of whom dangles the top half of Pierce's torso and his head above Shaw's expensive satin sheets, waking him up (God, I miss Claremont's Uncanny X-Men).

BTW, one of the members of the Upstarts? Gamesmaster.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012