Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Invisible Flashlights
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
NightHaunter
I think the answer is YES it still emits light, but from the wrong end.
The invis spell would "bend" the light that way.
James McMurray
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
In Shadowrun trying to apply physics to physics is just asking for trouble.

That's why we don't do either unless absolutely necessary. If we want hardcore realism we play a different system.
booklord
What do you see when you see a person?

Light from an external light source reflecting off their body. The invisibility spell edits the light coming from a person's body. In the case off thermographic "light" the body is generating it on its own. In order for an invisible flashlight to work the spell would have to be able to distinguish between the light being reflected off the invisible person's body ( or thermographic light being generated by the individual's body heat ) and the light being generated by the flashlight. I don't think it would. It would require the spell to have intelligence. The spell would need to know which light the invisible object wishes to generate and which light it doesn't.

Note : The light would have to editted after it reflects off the person's body ( instead of editting it before it reaches the person's body ) As preventing light from reaching the invisible person's body would render them quite blind.

Another reason for the invisible flashlight not to work would be as follows: A ray of light is generated by an invisible flashlight. Now the ray of light hits either a person's eye or a hidden security camera or a wall. Under the theory that you'd be able to see the light reflecting off the surroundings but not from the flashlight itself it would have to work as follows: If it hits the wall then the invisibility spell chooses not to edit it. But if it hits the guard's eye or a hidden security camera the invisibility spell does edit it. Once again this results in the invisibility spell gaining "intelligence". The spell is choosing which light to edit based off external information it probably wouldn't know.

So my answer is no. The invisible flashlight would not generate light.
hobgoblin
or just have the light be edited when it hits the observers lense or eye.

that way a flashlight can generate light for the holder, but maybe not for the observer wink.gif
booklord
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Jun 3 2006, 05:42 PM)
or just have the light be edited when it hits the observers lense or eye.

that way a flashlight can generate light for the holder, but maybe not for the observer wink.gif

Exactly, my point. The spell would have to be able to tell the difference between a hidden security camera and the every other piece of technology is the room. How would the spell be able to tell the difference? From the spell's vast knowledge of technical data?

Personally I don't think the invisibility spell can tell the difference between the lens of a security camera and a toaster. And thus I don't think that the invisibility spell can selectively edit the light it allows to be reflected or generated by the invisible subject. And thus I don't think an invisible flashlight would generate light.

Unless your talking about the invisibility only allowing the flashlight to generate'those light rays which are destined to be reflected back to the invisible person's eyes. But that sort of determination makes the entire process of editting the light being reflected off or generated by an invisible person seem trivial in comparison.
hobgoblin
by the very fact that the sensor accepts photons as input nyahnyah.gif

the magic just ride the beam of light in and then mess around when it hits something that reacts to light and altering the signal there.

basicly, it edits the person out of the image. just like what happend to some people in soviet russia nyahnyah.gif

to much detail can at times be a bad thing wink.gif
do one have to explain at a quantum physics level why a magical spell is able to damage a person?
hyzmarca
QUOTE (James McMurray)
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Jun 3 2006, 06:11 AM)

That's why we don't do either unless absolutely necessary. If we want hardcore realism we play a different system.

Dumpshock: Shoving square pegs into round holes since 1865.

QUOTE (booklord)
Exactly, my point. The spell would have to be able to tell the difference between a hidden security camera and the every other piece of technology is the room. How would the spell be able to tell the difference? From the spell's vast knowledge of technical data?

Personally I don't think the invisibility spell can tell the difference between the lens of a security camera and a toaster. And thus I don't think that the invisibility spell can selectively edit the light it allows to be reflected or generated by the invisible subject. And thus I don't think an invisible flashlight would generate light.

In the past invisibility and improved invisibility specificly influanced things that see rather than just things that sensed light. It didn't matter exactly what it saw, only that the sense be a type of vision. For example, which Invisibility would effect thermographic vision it would do nothing against a heat sensing organ. Likewise, while Improved Invisibility wouild prevent a camera from registering something it would do nothing to a photometer or a motion detector. It would prevent radiographic imaging but it would not prevent basic radiation sensors from working. All that mattered was the nature of the sense.

As for the ability of magic to tell the difference between one technological device and another, the question itself is missing the big picture. Sure, a camera is a complex technological device made from many different processed components. This is why it has an OR. But, the camera as a comcept is very simple. Conceptually, a camera is a thing that sees. Somethimes it records, as well. Sometimes it sends what it sees to another device to record. Either way, the concept is very basic.

Shadowrun and Earthdawn metaphics draws heavily from Plato and his concept of Forms. Everything has a Form of its own. Generic items have a generic Form based on a single template. Unique items have their own unique form. A tree has the metaphysical Form of a tree. A camera has the metaphycial form of a device that sees.
booklord
by the very fact that the sensor accepts photons as input nyahnyah.gif

the magic just ride the beam of light in and then mess around when it hits something that reacts to light and altering the signal there.

Which requires the invisibility spell to be able to analyze the technology to determine that that is what it is doing.

to much detail can at times be a bad thing wink.gif
do one have to explain at a quantum physics level why a magical spell is able to damage a person?

To the extent that we tell players what they can and can't do with their invisibility spells. Yes.

What it comes down to is a very simple split in what we see improved invisibility spells doing. My theory is that the invisibility spell edits the light being reflected off or generated by an invisible person immediately after being reflected or generated. The other theory involves the light being editted when it reaches any person or thing which is capable of seeing or analzying the light.

My theory does not allow for invisible flashlights to generate light. The other one does.
James McMurray
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
QUOTE (James McMurray @ Jun 3 2006, 11:53 AM)
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Jun 3 2006, 06:11 AM)

Dumpshock: Shoving square pegs into round holes since 1865.

Yeppers. Sometimes that's the only way to make a game ssytem "make sense." Things get changed for simplicity's sake in games and realism suffers. You either shoehorn major changes, accept the problems, or debate about them endlessly on dumpshock without ever changing anyone else's mind. That last one isn't exclusive, you can combine it with either of the others, and most people do. smile.gif
Austere Emancipator
I take it this sort of thing counts as shoehorning major changes?
Xenith
Meh. I think it was a slight mistake for them to write down that it bends light... on the other hand... perhaps part of the spell is a minor clairvoyance effect... or some crap like that. XD

Its a game with magic... therefore it never has to make total sense... only mimic it. grinbig.gif
hobgoblin
they say it warps light. ok so warping is a kind of bending, but it does not have to say it warps it around the subject. it may well be the writers way of saying that it mess up the light somhow else. "a warped interpetation of reality" silly.gif
knasser
Okey-dokey. I think I have it, or very nearly. The spell says that it "warps" light. Light is a wave (yes, yes, and a particle too, shut up Heisenberg), and warping it could mean not simply refracting the light (re-directing it) but increasing or decreasing its wavelength.

Suppose I have some visible light just floating along when suddenly the light hits this mysterious field (the spell) and goes "Woah! I feel like really excited, I'm being charged with super mana energy and I'm vibrating so fast I'm an X-Raaaaay!!!"

In it's super hgh-energy state it quite naturally passes through the character, wall, whatever but as it leaves the field (spell) it's energy drops back to where it was before ("Man, that was a buzz, but now I'm blue again"). Voilá - invisibility.

Now how can we resolve this in terms of different people seeing different things? Okay, here goes! In the below, M equals our invisible Mage and A and B are observers. My dinky little ascii arrows are the paths of light going through the mage.
CODE

^
           \   |
             \ |
A  ------> M  ------->
               ^
               |  
               |  
               B

First thing to notice is that there is a ray of light that is colliding with M that doesn't go through her (this is the one coming from NW). Why should the mage bother altering this light wave? There's no person C standing to the NW of her that would notice this light reflecting back. She's safe to let it go. Okay, admittedly, it would be nice if she let that one through as well and if she cast the spell as high enough force, lets say she does, but it takes energy to turn on all those little light beams and make them go through you so the default is that she's only "warping" those light beams that she has to in order to make herself invisible to each observer. Yes there may be little give away shadows on the other side of her and other odd lighting effects, but that is why low force is low force and high force isn't.

Now light coming from the directions of A and B is encouraged to go straight through M thus no light reflects back to them to make the mage visible. How does the mage know which light beams to warp? Well the illusion magic "reads" this information in some sense from the victims minds or auras. We can come up with any number of plausible explanations for this, e.g. the spell locks onto the subjects' auras to keep light from their directions excited. You could use a different interpretation, it's not important. All that matters is that somehow a victim is able to resist this "tracking" somehow. Perhaps with a metaphysical shake, B's aura goes "rah - get offa me!" and *wham* - B vanishes from the invisibility spell's awareness or power and light from B's direction begins reflecting back again.

This interpretation satisfies the following criteria:
1/ Light from one side of the subject is able to appear on the other side of the subject in the same manner as if the subject had not been there; avoiding any of the numerous visible problems with our "bubble" model of light-bending or gravitational lensing.
2/ The mage is able to make subjects invisible where light would not be able to find a path around the subject, e.g our wall or closed door.
3/ Different subjects can be affected differently according to their resistance to the spell.
4/ There is a metaphysical conservation of energy in which the mage only does what she has to do to accomplish the magic. This even leads onto a natural explanation of the difference between low and high force castings of the spell, in terms of both effort and effect.
5/ It meshes reasonably well with accepted science. If you're worried about the mage's lead-lined knickers remaining visible due to their blocking X-Rays, bump the energy level up to Gama rays as I seem to recall you need very thick shielding to block these, and it's not likely to come up in a game. You can always ditch the scientific side of this if you like and just teleport the light waves if you must.
6/ It's really neat and Khadeem is really pleased with himself, thankyouverymuch. biggrin.gif

The only thing that I can see is missing from this is the infra-red radiation given off by characters. I suppose it's not much of a hack to say that emitted light in tracked directions is also shielded. This would mean that a flashlight was invisible in the exact direction of the witnesses but the lighting effect elsewhere would be visible. Essentially, you can see the light, but not quite where it's coming from.

So how did I do? smile.gif
Edward
QUOTE (booklord)

What it comes down to is a very simple split in what we see improved invisibility spells doing. My theory is that the invisibility spell edits the light being reflected off or generated by an invisible person immediately after being reflected or generated. The other theory involves the light being editted when it reaches any person or thing which is capable of seeing or analzying the light.

My theory does not allow for invisible flashlights to generate light. The other one does.

your theory dose not allow for a resistance roll or object resistance (the light was altered long before it got to a conceptual seeing device), the RAW calls for a resistance roll, thus your explanation is not in keeping with the raw.

My personal interpretation is that the spell creates an illusion of the invisible objects absence. Thus all observers that fail to resist the spell see things as if the invisible object did not exist. All observers that resist the spell see the invisible object.

How this is achieved is irrelevant to the game rules. I chose it because it was simple to implement and in keeping with the raw (with the exception of the fluff about bending light)

Further I would add
The position of an invisible object (or person) may be inferred buy an observer that did not resist the spell buy its affects on other objects (eg footprints). Only sensors designed to mimic the image gathering ability of a metahuman eye will fail to detect the target of a physical invisibility spell (IR motion detectors and laser tripwires are still a problem for you.

I believe these are inferred buy the raw, at least they do not contradict it (with the exception of the fluff about bending light, but that created problems with the requirement for resistance rolls and varied ORs)

If you want to know how this works for in character reasons your character will quickly become aware of a large and complex debate on how physical illusions work, and weather it is manna or photons that cross specific regions of space, illusions casting shadows, unaffected observers seeing shadows, the futility of illusionary sun shades. You will also realize that the debate is achieving nothing other beyond the amusement and bemusement of the academics involved (much like this one)

knasser

Your theory also works. I however find the level of complication unnecessary.
I would go so far as to say that under my theory academics are proposing your theory
knasser
QUOTE (Edward @ Jun 4 2006, 10:13 AM)
My personal interpretation is that the spell creates an illusion of the invisible objects absence. Thus all observers that fail to resist the spell see things as if the invisible object did not exist. All observers that resist the spell see the invisible object.

But there are two problems with this. The first is that it is not in keeping with the flavour of the spell description in which normal invisibility affects the mind but improved invisibility is strongly suggested to work on a physical principle. The second and more technical problem is that it does not allow for cases where the victim is unaware of what exists behind the invisible character. For example, Mandy the Mischevious turns the wall to the men's shower room invisible revealing everything to her giggling schoolfriends. If it were an illusion of the mind, then they wouldn't be able to tell you who was in there. Further example. Seamus the dwarf turns Angus the troll invisible (-1 die penalty for the kilt). When Angus walks across the hotel lobby unseen the minds of the observers imagine the floral wallpaper behind him. But now Seamus, walking on the other side of his big friend goes for free. (Enabling the notorious couple to skip out on yet another enormous room bill).

QUOTE (Edward)
knasser

??? I was feeling all smug about how elegantly simple it was. frown.gif
-X-
QUOTE (knasser)

But there are two problems with this. The first is that it is not in keeping with the flavour of the spell description in which normal invisibility affects the mind but improved invisibility is strongly suggested to work on a physical principle. The second and more technical problem is that it does not allow for cases where the victim is unaware of what exists behind the invisible character. For example, Mandy the Mischevious turns the wall to the men's shower room invisible revealing everything to her giggling schoolfriends. If it were an illusion of the mind, then they wouldn't be able to tell you who was in there. Further example. Seamus the dwarf turns Angus the troll invisible (-1 die penalty for the kilt). When Angus walks across the hotel lobby unseen the minds of the observers imagine the floral wallpaper behind him. But now Seamus, walking on the other side of his big friend goes for free. (Enabling the notorious couple to skip out on yet another enormous room bill).

QUOTE (Edward)
knasser

??? I was feeling all smug about how elegantly simple it was. frown.gif

I gotta go with Knasser's theory I think. Convinced me to even change my own previous house ruling on it.

An elegant theory and yet it could easily be put forth within the game world as Thaumaphysics. Speaking of which I'm sure there's a run or two in here with rival Thaumaphysics proponants trying to trash (or steal) each others research (Not all scientists use good science all the time).
hyzmarca
QUOTE (knasser)

But there are two problems with this. The first is that it is not in keeping with the flavour of the spell description in which normal invisibility affects the mind but improved invisibility is strongly suggested to work on a physical principle. The second and more technical problem is that it does not allow for cases where the victim is unaware of what exists behind the invisible character.

The first problem isn't exactly a problem. In SR3 I always assumed that the physical nature of Improved Invisibility meant that it altered the observer in a physical way as opposed to the mana illusion that caused no actual physical changes in the observer. In a camera or a human this could mean altering the electrical impulses produced when light strikes the photoreceptors.

The second problem is only a problem when it comes to establishing LOS. Sense-editing magic can allow people to see things that they normally wouldn't b eable to see. Usually, such spells are called detection spells but illusions are also sense-editing; they simply edit senses for a different purpose. The problem only shows up when it trying to establish LOS. Sense editing magic cannot establish LOS. On the other hand, physical redirection of light can. Establishing Improved Invisibility as a spell that physically edits the target's senses so that it appears that the subject is not there prevents this rather large potential abuse.
hobgoblin
invisibility and similar have allways been presented as a kind of indirect illusion. rather then aiming right at someone that should directly experience the illusion, you aim at something that will appear alterd based on the spell.

in many ways its similar to the armor spell. it puts a layer of magic over the target of the spell, and this layer helps stop anything harmfull at the size of a bullet or larger.

if one was to follow the extension of the LOS requirement that some try to use on the invisibility spell, then the caster would have to see each and every bullet fired at the person coverd by the armor spell. if the caster didnt see a bullet then the armor spell didnt work on said bullet.

so the LOS requirement for the invisibility spell is only for the initial casting. the caster have to see where he wants to target the spell.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
invisibility and similar have allways been presented as a kind of indirect illusion. rather then aiming right at someone that should directly experience the illusion, you aim at something that will appear alterd based on the spell.

I don't think anyone has claimed otherwise. If you were responding to my LOS abuse arguments I was refering to making an object inviible for the pupose of casting through it, such as: "I make the Ares corporate headquarters invisible so I can manabolt Damien Knight." and "I cast invisibility on the planet Earth so I can manabolt Sum Yun Guy in China."
knasser

This needn't be listened to, and certainly isn't needed for the explanation I outlined, but the FanPro FAQ states that improved invisibility can be used to establish LOS. I don't know how much people consider that official, but it's there in black and white pixels. Just thought I'd mention it.

Anyway, the description of the spell does say "warps light" so I'd go with LOS allowed if only for that. If you can cast a spell round a corner with fibre-optic goggles, then quite frankly warping light by magic is good enough for me. Anyway, if the players don't think of this tactic, then I'm certainly going to surprise them with an NPC using it. biggrin.gif
hobgoblin
where is this faq posted?
if its in german i dont care about it...
knasser
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
where is this faq posted?
if its in german i dont care about it...

http://www.shadowrunrpg.com/resources/faq.shtml

No german. You're safe. wink.gif

The invisibility stuff is about a third of the way down.
hobgoblin
err, thats for SR3 not SR4. so its hardly applyable in this case...

and even then is a year old nyahnyah.gif

btw, having the spell require a force higher then half the OR of the item target is flat out wrong. its the observer that need to resist the spell, not the object or person coverd by the spell...
Eyeless Blond
Yeah, well, to be frank most of us here consider the FAQ to be a piece of junk. The writers don't even pretend that their answers have anything to do with the actual rules; much of what's in there directly contradicts what's written in the books, but without claiming to be errata so it's impossible to figure out whether to follow the actual rules or their "FAQ".

knasser's idea, while interesting, is a logistical nightmare. Let's look back at this diagram, and expand it a little so we can name points on M's body:
CODE

^        ^
           \       |
            \      |
C             \M M M
C'->A' ------> M'M M'' -------->
   A          M M M
                \  ^
                 \ |  
                  \|  
                 B B'

Now, assume that A does not resist the spell cast on M. So, the process begins as such: M's spell reaches into A's "mind", and tracks into the future where he is going to be at some time when photons from M are going to reach his eyes, which we name A'. Remember that people aren't going to stand still, so in order to avoid weird tracking issues the spell is going to have to read, not where the observer is now, but where he will be in the fraction of a second it takes to figure out where he will be, and to alter the photons accordingly.

So M's spell then tracks back to the exact points on M's body that A would see--M'--and tracks *through* M's body to points exactly opposite the subject--M''. It is these photons that are bumped up to higher energy levels in order to "pass through" the mage, incidentally causing all the problems associated with high-energy radiation damage along the way.

1) Okay, so far so good. Seems to me that we're granting a little more computational intelligence to the spell than I've seen in any other spell, but let's set that aside for now. The problem is that M'' is not the only place that photons need to be altered to make M invisible. You also have to alter everything striking M', because otherwise the light striking M' will scatter into A'-s eyes, resulting in a ghostly, translucent M walking around. *Every* photon striking M' has to be altered to prevent A' from seeing M, which exponentially increases the number of photons that need to be altered for every point on a target, to the point where roughly 30-50% of the photons striking the target have to be altered, just to make M transparent to a single observer.

2) Now let's look at B, who does resist the spell. Specifically, look at the diagonal "sight ray" going through M'. Since A' does not resist the spell, the diagonal photon striking at M' must be excited through M's body, in order to make M invisible to A'. But doing this would make M partly insivible to B' as well, which is a problem because he resisted the spell and thus shouldn't be affected by it. The problem is even worse with C, who also resisted the spell but is looking over A'-s shoulder.

3) The amount of work the spell must do increases with each observer, but neither the Force nor the drain does. This seems a contradiction.

4) In this interpretation, if someone ever looks into M's eyes, then M still goes blind, so it doesn't really solve that problem either.

5) It does solve the problem of LOS, but in a weird way. Since photons are actually being altered to smash through a person't body instead of being bent around him, they are no longer elligable for providing LOS. So if you were trying to make the silly FAQ valid it's still a failure.

6) However you have allowed the covered flashlight abuse, the one where a low-force unresisted Invisability cast on the cover of a flashlight will light a room but the guards who resisted the spell are left in the dark. Also it lets you peep through walls (and shoot through them) without letting the guards see back at you.

7) Radiation poisoning. Gamma rays, being ionizing radiation, are not at all healthy to have running through you all the time. I consider it a problem when other people not resisting my spells causes me to vomit blood. nyahnyah.gif

Conclusion: meh. On the surface it seems to work, but the details kill it.
hobgoblin
heh, thats why its magic. magic fixes the flaws wink.gif

i dont know, is there any book that talks about magic moving at anything less then the speed of light?
hyzmarca
The FAQ lets you kill a main battle tank with a derringer firing standard ammo.

Think about that for a second.

The FAQ lets you kill a main battle tank with a derringer firing standard ammo.

This, friends, is why we ignore the parts of the FAQ we don't like. It isn't canon untill its canonized. The FAQ is not yet available in book form.
knasser
QUOTE (Eyeless Blonde)
Conclusion: meh. On the surface it seems to work, but the details kill it.

Woah there, Eyeless blonde. Whilst your criticism may seem valid at first glance, the details kill it. wink.gif

I'll go through your points in a moment, but I need to clear up two things. One, I came up with this explanation from first principles, based solely on the functioning and text of the spell in SR4. I don't care about the FAQ much, I just mentioned it in passing.

The second thing that needs to be cleared up is the issue of abuse. You have described the LOS effect as abuse and the flashlight as abuse. I don't see any of this as rules-lawyering and am quite looking forward to the first time a couple of enemy mages turn a steel wall invisible and get blasting at the PCs! When you come at this with a loaded agenda of what you want the results to be, then you colour your arguments. So I don't see it as a problem that the logical consequences of my explanation have these results. All I'm interested in is internal consistency and compatability with the spell description and effect. I think I've achieved that.

Now your points.
1/ Compensating for the speed of light.
It's true that the victim may have moved fractionally by the time the light reaches him. Let us assume that using high-powered optics, the victim is watching the subject from 10 miles away. I think that's a nice generous distance to support your case. At the speed of light - 186,282 miles per second - it will take 1/18,628 seconds (or 0.00054 seconds) to reach the victim. If your observer is moving fast enough to notice the lag time, then I think he's going to be more concerned with air resistance roasting him to a crisp.

2/ Computational Intelligence
There are a couple of counters with this. The first off is the existence of other physical illusion spells. If it takes too much computational intelligence to edit light in different directions, then how much intelligence does it take to create the image of an angry wizword viewable from all directions? The "intelligence" necessary for this spell, assuming that spells work on a computational basis which I'm very far from allowing, is perfectly consistent with the level of computation that would be required for several other spells. Another argument would be that surely editing the light in a particular direction with a field it passes through has to be less complex than editing the firing of neurons in someone's brain to implant images in their brain.

3/ No increase in effort with number of observers.
This is a valid but minor point. I offer two options to people who like my explanation and don't want to ditch it for the sake of this. Firstly, are we certain that the difficulty does not increase? SR pg. 57 states that in opposed rolls against groups, larger numbers grant bonus dice for the resisting group. I'm not saying that this has to apply because you might roll for the victims separately, but you could quite easily put this down to lack of granularity in the rules. Maybe it is more effort or complexity, but not sufficiently so for the rules to pick up on it. Secondly, the statistical probability of being spotted by someone does increase with the number of people who are resisting. Each individual has the same chance as if they were alone, but given sufficient numbers, someone is likely to notice and you can attribute that to the mage's talents giving out if you so wish.

4/ Light passing through the mage's retina
The retina requires only a very little light striking it to send those nerve impulses to the brain. This nicely illustrates the point I was making earlier about how seemingly academic conversations like this can create interesting fluff for our games. One possibility is that the mage lets through only most of the light that strikes her retina. Perhaps the mage sees the world muted or spectrally whilst invisible, much like Frodo in LotR whilst he is invisible. Or maybe there is a ghostly pale image of the mage's eyes that drifts along not quite invisible but hard to notice. What a freaky effect, but so much more atmospheric when the guard notices than saying "the guard has made his resistance roll and can see you". Anyway, I'm just having fun with these stylish effects. The real consequence of skimming a few photons so you can see would be neglible.

5/ abuse of LOS
I've covered this. It's only abuse if the GM has a strong feeling about how this should work. I don't as whatever the PCs use, I'll just throw back at them later on. But if you do have a preference then choose from (a) LOS is possible because it is the same light that has passed through the invisible subject or (b) LOS is not possible because the spell has tampered with the photons in temporarily altering their state. Take your pick as both are entirely compatible with my explanation.

6/ X-rays and Gamma Rays cause cancer etc.
Yep - quite possibly they do. This is Shadowrun and the image of a burned out mage in the cancer ward cursing the way he did too much invisibility in his youth amuses me. Again we come back to the point about how I feel this sort of fluff can deeply enhance the reality of the setting for the players. It's not something that's likely to have a consequence in the time scale of a campaign. And I think cancer and other cell damage is curable in the Shadowrun setting, isn't it? Well it's up to the GM anyway. I'd probably just leave this as a potential problem in the background.

So anyway. That's my counter-arguments. There is a hole in my theory, but none of your points were it, I'm afraid. If no-one spots it, I'll fess up later. nyahnyah.gif
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (hobgoblin)

Oh, so even after doing what knasser claims, then it's gotta go back and fix it all afterward as well? Yikes.

i dont know, is there any book that talks about magic moving at anything less then the speed of light?

In this case it'd have to move at much *more* than the speed of light. In fact, to be perfectly accurate the spell would actually have to read into the future in order to predict exactly where the observer will be when he is observing the subject. This reading-into-the-future problem would be even worse with the Silence series of spells, as sound travels more slowly and thus there would be an even larger gap between where the observer is "now" and where he wil be when the nullified sound is supposed to reach him.
hyzmarca
must point out that converting all light to gamma radiation would not cause cancer. It would cause complete organ failure within a few hours even with only a few minutes of exposure.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
QUOTE (hobgoblin)

Oh, so even after doing what knasser claims, then it's gotta go back and fix it all afterward as well? Yikes.

In this case it'd have to move at much *more* than the speed of light. In fact, to be perfectly accurate the spell would actually have to read into the future in order to predict exactly where the observer will be when he is observing the subject. This reading-into-the-future problem would be even worse with the Silence series of spells, as sound travels more slowly and thus there would be an even larger gap between where the observer is "now" and where he wil be when the nullified sound is supposed to reach him.

if you didnt notice by the wink.gif, im slighty tired of seeing the X+1 iteration of a "how does improved invisibility work" thread. and right now we have two of them...

funny thing is that i dont see anything remotly similar to this dicussion over on say the wotc forums. ok, so there are some discussion over flaws on the d20 modern/future part (only part i bother with, d&d basicly boils down to making the most powerfull mix of classes, race and whatsnot), but there people just present their fixes and is done with it.

here on dumpshock its as if SR is RL, and we need to come up with how magic should play nice with the laws of physics (because, as we all know, the laws of physcis trumps all) in an empirical way.

basicly, SR isnt just a game to us. its more on the level of a religion. and this debate, in all its forms, reminds me of the classical "how many angels can dance and the head of a pin".

ok, so this time round it was made worse by some editor inserting the words "warps light" into the text. but other then that its exactly the same debate thats been had on atleast 3 versions of this forum, of not more...
Eyeless Blond
Okay then, counterpoints:

1) The argument wasn't so much that the difference is meaningful, but that there is a difference at all. What this does is force the mage to either a) see into the future and know exactly where the target will be, and adjust where the altered rays will be sent accordingly, b) alter the rays in a swath around the observer, albeit a small one, to compensate for possible movement, or c) introduce artifacts into the invisability projection which will be easily discernable to the human eye *or* a well-written analytical program.

2) The computational intelligence point wasn't the actual argument here, though that is an interesting area to explore. The argument here was that it is physically impossible in a great many cases to make M invisible to A without also making him at least partly invisible to B and C, both of whom are supposed to have resisted the spell. To C the mage would be almost completely invisible, and to B he will be partly translucent. In some rare cases where two observers are looking at the mage at the exact same angle even if one of the observers resists the spell the mage will still be invisible, because the spell is busy making M invisible to the failing observer.

3) Point dropped, though page 57 actually has more to do with simulating the effect of several people rolling the same test several times, and not with simulating how much more difficult and in this case mana-intensive it is to affect multiple people at once.

4) So the retina is specifically exempted from the effect of the spell, or the effect is specifically damped by the presence of a retina? I'll buy that, though it's adding even more conditional clauses to the body of the spell.

5) *shrug* Okay.

6) Covered flashlight abuse. Still unanswered.

6b) In fact, this doesn't really answer the OP's question of an invisible flashlight either, does it? Of course, neither does my interpretation. so embarrassed.gif

7) Radiation: see hyzmarca's post above.

Oh, and your solution also doesn't deal with the shadow problem that I'm still wrestling with in my interpretation either. smile.gif
-X-
Why does it need to see into the future exactly? Isn't the Astral the ultimate Unified Field Theories allowing for effective faster than light travel? At least for informational purposes.

As for the D20 boards on WOTC, go look at some of the larger threads. There are debates every bit as vehement as this (often moreso) about things like whether a 'Hulking Hurler' can throw a moon sized piece of adamantine or not, including refering to whether he'd simply sink into the ground or even if that much adamantine would be dense enough and crush itself enough to become a singularity.

SR4 for all its fantastical elements is a game far more grounded in reality (No wish spell just for starters) so the arguments about it will tend to be a little bit more gritty (and nitty for that matter).
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Jun 4 2006, 04:25 PM)
funny thing is that i dont see anything remotly similar to this dicussion over on say the wotc forums. ok, so there are some discussion over flaws on the d20 modern/future part (only part i bother with, d&d basicly boils down to making the most powerfull mix of classes, race and whatsnot), but there people just present their fixes and is done with it.

here on dumpshock its as if SR is RL, and we need to come up with how magic should play nice with the laws of physics (because, as we all know, the laws of physcis trumps all) in an empirical way.

basicly, SR isnt just a game to us. its more on the level of a religion. and this debate, in all its forms, reminds me of the classical "how many angels can dance and the head of a pin".

ok, so this time round it was made worse by some editor inserting the words "warps light" into the text. but other then that its exactly the same debate thats been had on atleast 3 versions of this forum, of not more...

Oh indeed it is. Much like PC vs. Mac, boxers vs. briefs, paper vs. plastic, the debate is not meant to have a real answer. Speaking perfectly logically, it's impossible to find the answer, in fact, because there's simply not enough information.

The debate itself isn't really meant to result in an actual answer, or at least not one that has any true value. Rather it is the contemplation of the question itself that's important. Like a Buddhist meditating on a koan, it is in the not-finding of an answer that the real value is.

biggrin.gif
Demon_Bob
To Concord Flight attendant; "But, if we are flying faster than the speed of sound how come I can hear you?"

I would say that A flashlight in a invisibility field does emit light.
Does the light exit said field? For ease of game mechanics say YES.

Now give people extra die to roll vs the spell if they notice the flashlight beam comming from empty air, expecially in fog or smoke.
hyzmarca
But the answer is very important. It influances the flavor of the entire magic system.
Edward
The sr3 FAQ says imp invis establishes LOS????????!!!!!!!!????????

The rules for what magic can and cant do in MITS clearly stated magic can never be used to establish LOS.

Knasser. The main advantage of my theory over yours is that I don’t need to know how it works (note that your theory has been torn apart and mine hasn’t). The only thing I disobeyed from the RAW was a small bit of flavor text witch contradicts the need for a resistance roll. It also has it workings linked to other physical illusions.

Physical invisibility doesn’t mean it has to physically affect light. It can refer to the fact that it affects physical cameras.

Having the spell affect every object (living or not) with the conceptual quality of seeing within LOS of the invisible object (you can’t see it if your not within LOS of it) works at least as well, and means other physical illusions can work in the same way,

It also more really explains the relevance of object resistance and the absence of the higher drain true invisibility which doesn’t bother with the energy saving system and thus denies the relevance of OR and resistance rolls.

hyzmarca “But the answer is very important. It influances the flavor of the entire magic system”

you only need to know what magic dose, not how it dose it, especially in a world where the characters don’t know how it is done and there is a distinct possibility that different casters develop the same spell effect in different ways. Remember that the rules specifically do not say weather totem spirits really exist.

Edward

Ps. If you want to fix the radiation issue then shunt the light energy in a different direction. Have it translate into ultra low frequency radio.

booklord
I've updated and tried to clarify my views on improved or physical invisibility. In short I view physical immunity as a manipulation of light as it that is reflected off of or generated by an invisible object or person. It does not go around and identify each and every person or device which is looking at the invisible object or person so can it can maipulate the light when it reaches their eyes or viewing devices.

Physical ( or Improved ) Invisibility House Rules
------------------------------------

House Rule #1:
---------------------
Physical Invisibility dissapates all spectrums of light ( including visual and thremographic ) being reflected off of or generated by an object or person. The spell cannot tell the difference between thermographic light and the light from a flashlight. Thus an invisible flashlight would not work. In effect when it comes to light generated by the invisible object or target the spell is the visual equivalent to a silence spell.

Note: There are limits to what the physical invisibility spell can cover up. For example a low force invisibility spell may not be able to handle stopping the thermographic light from a blowtorch or the effects of an invisible flash grenade. Stronger invisibility spells are obviously able to cover up more.

House Rule #2:
-----------------------
The second function of Improved Invisibility is that it replicates all light that hits the invisible object or person on the opposite side of the person as if the light had traveled through unimpeded. The light must be allowed to hit the invisible person or he would be rendered quite blind. So any effects from the light hitting the target beyond visual ( such as a damaging laser ) is still felt by the invisible object or person. The laser light would still be replicated on the other side of the target but it would be an illusion equivalent of the original light and carry none of the effects beyond visual of the original light.

Note: All physical illusion spells work by modifying or negating existing light. ( with the obvious exception of illusions of things that generate light. Like on illusion of a fire ) For example, a runner mage is being followed some guards and sneaks into a completely dark room. He casts the illusion of a dragon to startle the guards. When the guards enter the room they can't see the dragon because there is no light. But when one of the guards turns on the lights then the light from the ceiling reaches the illusion spell and is modified to reflect outwards to show the dragon.

House Rule #3:
-------------------------
Improved Invisibility is a physical illusion and like all physical illusions resisting it does not cause the illusion to "go away". Instead the result would be that resisting individual is able to see that the illusion is fake. They may be able to see an outline or some visual disruption that signfies where the invisible object is. Such nuances are generally beyond the capabilities of most technological devices. However a spectral analyzer or similar device may be able to detect a physically invisible individual.

Note : It's generally cheaper for the corp the go for other methods of detecting invisible characters such as ultrasound or ( a personal favorite of mine ) pressure plates on the floor.

House Rule #4:
-----------------------
Improved Invisibility cannot be used to establish LOS. You cannot establish LOS with an illusion spell. If invisibility is cast on a wall, then you see an illusion image of what is on the other side of the wall. But this is light produced by the invisibility spell and not the original light that was reflected off the whatever was on the other side of the wall. A magician unaware of the invisible object may not be able to immediately ascertain why he or she can't establish LOS.

Other Methods of Physical Invisibility
-------------------------------

Illusionary environment
-------------------------------
It is also possible to pull of a physical illusion of the surrounding environment. For example if a magician "overlays" an empty hallway with the illusion of an empty hallway then any number of runners can travel down the hallway sight unseen. ( And probably unheard too as most physical illusions modify both sight and sound. ) The disadvantage of course is that this sort of illusion isn't that portable and would affect anyone who wandered into that hallway runner or guard.

Transparency spell
----------------------------
It is also possible to pull off invisibility with some sort of transparency spell. But that's not even remotely an illusion spell. That's a pure physical manipulation spell. It's an open question to whether an individual would be able to see with transparent eyes.

Radar Invisibility
--------------------------
Since illusion spells can generate sound as well as light it stands to reason that it should be possible to design a type of sound invisibility that allows for ultrasound or sonar or radar waves to hit the object or person to be deadened when the are reflected and then replicated on the other side of the individual. I imagine the drain for such a spell would be the same as visual invisibility. Furthermore a magician could design a spell that handled both sound and light. But the drain for that spell would be oppressive.
hobgoblin
to truely mess with your minds:

would a mirror created with a illusion be usable for targeting around corners?
knasser
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
would a mirror created with a illusion be usable for targeting around corners?

I would rule that an illusionary mirror can only reflect that which the caster is aware of. The physical version at least is generating light in accordance to the mage's will, it isn't an actual physical object with reflective capabilities. A mana version of the spell, perversely, might be able to show a reflection to the onlookers as you might rule that you are instructing them to imagine a mirror. In that case however, I'd not allow it to reflect around a corner that they couldn't themselves see around, even if they thought it was.

Eyeless Blonde. Your points in order:

1/ Again, I can only say that I really don't care where your character thinks he's headed in the next 1/10,000th of a second. There will be no difference in what he can see between the two positions. And that time scale was when I generously allowed your observer to watch the mage from 10 miles away with binoculars. Other points you made were good, but this makes no sense at all!

6/ I thought I had solved this one. The flashlight gives off light. Morale of the tale - don't shine a torch around when you're trying to be invisible.

7/ Radiation poisoning. I'm not aware of how quickly this amount of gamma radiation would harm you. However, I now invoke GM fiat and say I really meant downshifting the light energy to make longwave radio waves. Problem solved.

2/ Yep - this is the point I referred to in my last post. I'm surprised it took people so long to notice. I'll have a think about this one, but you win... for now. ork.gif

QUOTE (Edward)
Knasser. The main advantage of my theory over yours is that I don’t need to know how it works (note that your theory has been torn apart and mine hasn’t).

Hey now! My theory wasn't torn apart, it was just impaled. You make it sound as if it died under a hail of counter arguments. In fact it only fell to a single fundamental flaw. nyahnyah.gif

Saying your theory has the advantage of not needing to know how it works is an odd idea. A theory is an explanation after all. Might as well say that you're less likely to lose a fight 'cause you didn't show up. wink.gif I think Eyeless Blonde put it well enough - we're arguing this not because we need an answer, but because we find the exercise good for us. And I'm 100% with hyzmarca in that this sort of stuff is good for the atmosphere of the game. That's why the answer of "it's magic" has no use to us.

QUOTE (booklord)
Lots and lots of theory *snip*

Woah. Booklord! I like the framework that you have established here. You've produced something that only needs a very little more detail to fill out the corners and we have a working theory. It does depend on a key element though, which is that resisting the invisibility spell is not seeing the character, but noticing the flaws in the invisibility. That makes resistance less potent and I'm sure you'd end up with players saying, "yeah he knew someone was there, but he couldn't identify me."

We might be almost there, though.
Cray74
QUOTE (Geekkake)
Ouch, indeed. If the Improved Invisibility bends light, that means the subject is essentially unaffected by all forms of radiant energy. In addition to be blind, the subject is completely immune to radiant heat, gamma radiation, X-rays, etc.

You could theoretically walk into the middle of a nuclear reactor unharmed as long as the spell was sustained.

Neutrons are not photons. If you walked through a functioning nuclear reactor, sure, maybe you wouldn't be bothered by the x-rays. But your DNA is going to be doing the neutron dance, and you'll accumulate a lethal dose in a fraction of a turn.

(10 years after removal from a reactor and ceasing fission reactions, fuel assemblies still emit about 10,000 rem/hour; lethal dose is about 500 rem. The neutron radiation released by an operating reactor is fearsome.)
mrcatman
Check out "On The Run" adventure, page 19, under "Detecting Invisibility." It doesn't address some of the "bend light" discussion, but it might help your group come to a decision on handling invis.

Personally, we just suspend our disbelief and say the invis character can see, and can't be seen (though can be found via other senses, leaves trail on dusty floor and so on). We don't much care how this happens any more than how trolls and dragons are around. It just is.
Shrike30
QUOTE (Geekkake)
QUOTE (Shrike30 @ Jun 2 2006, 04:59 PM)
QUOTE (Geekkake)
QUOTE (Shrike30 @ Jun 2 2006, 02:46 PM)
You'll note that, with the new wording of Improved Invisibility, we've also seen the disappearance of the MP laser from the game nyahnyah.gif

I'll bet you 50Y it shows up in Arsenal.

When I tell a joke, should I use more than one nyahnyah.gif ? Had I said "You'll note that, with the new wording of Improved Invisibility, we've also seen the disappearance of the MP laser from the game nyahnyah.gif wobble.gif rotfl.gif silly.gif upsidedown.gif scatter.gif spin.gif", would it have been clearer?

I was aware you were joking. Don't make me come over there. I'LL TURN THIS MESSAGE BOARD RIGHT AROUND AND GO HOME

Bhahahaa! grinbig.gif
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (knasser)
1/ Again, I can only say that I really don't care where your character thinks he's headed in the next 1/10,000th of a second. There will be no difference in what he can see between the two positions. And that time scale was when I generously allowed your observer to watch the mage from 10 miles away with binoculars. Other points you made were good, but this makes no sense at all!

Again, not quite getting what I'm saying. The point isn't so much that the image being projected is going to be any different, so much as the image being projected might well miss the intended target, unless either 1) the illusion is "spread out" over some sort of probability cone, or 2) the spell "reads ahead" somehow to find out where the target's eye is going to be.

Also keep in mind that the movement of light isn't the only process taking place here. You've also got to first detect all the observers in the area, a process which can be done at astral speeds and is therefore fast but not instantaneus (else there would be no limit to astral movement rate, among other things). Then you've got to figure out what points to manipulate the light, actually go about downshifting and upshifting all that light, making exceptions for certain hand-picked photons so the mage can still see, and send them on their way. Are all these things supposed to be instantaneus? If they are, a rather big assumption, only then will the time only be limited by the speed of light.

Likely you are asserting that all the processes described above are in fact instantaneus, when there is in fact no reason to suspect they should be, making that as much a waste of space as it is an attempt at reductio ad absurdum. My point was that the existence of this probability cone still does exist and makes the problem highlighted in 2) worse.

6/ I thought I had solved this one. The flashlight gives off light. Morale of the tale - don't shine a torch around when you're trying to be invisible.

The covered flashlight problem is different from the invisible flashlight problem. Here the flashlight is perfectly visible; only the cover is invisible. It's actually a specific case of the shadow problem, which I'm struggling with in my own thread.

Here's the case: The mage casts invisability on the cover of a flashlight, and is shining it around in a dark room. He casts it at a low force, and willingly fails his save, so the cover is effectively invisible.

A) If the flashlight is pointed away from him, does the room light up?
B) If the flashlight is pointed toward him, does the room light up?
C) If the mage leaves the room entirely (still sustaining the spell), does the room light up?
D) Same three questions, but from the perspective of guard D who *does* resist the spell.

The more general question would be for shadows: would an observer still be able to locate an invisible mage in a brightly lit room by looking at this shadow on the floor? The intuitive answer in your rule would be yes; just as random rays of light coming from other directions are not altered, the rays of light from the sun overhead would not be altered, because they're going to the non-observing ground instead of directly to the observer's eyes. Or is your spell calculating essentially random diffuse reflections too, and making those ?

This would make the answer to above questions A and C No, unless you are adding the extra escape clause I specified, in which case the answers would be Yes, then No respectfully. The answer to B above would be Yes, because the mage is looking directly at the flashlight cover, and thus the spell would be forced to allow light from the flashlight through in order to make the flashlight invisible to the unresisting mage. The answers to D would be similarly No, Yes, No, (or Yes, Yes, No) which is, frankly, really weird. Was this intended?

7/ Radiation poisoning. I'm not aware of how quickly this amount of gamma radiation would harm you. However, I now invoke GM fiat and say I really meant downshifting the light energy to make longwave radio waves. Problem solved.
Heh, all right then. That's better than X-rays at least.

I won't even bug you about violating the Heisenburg Uncertainty Principle, because I'm pretty sure there are certain tricks using quantum informaiton theory you can use to get the original photon back. That and I only barely understand the theory myself; someone else with a better grasp (and likely a higher degree) would have to evaluate things on those lines.
ornot
Woah! This thread is getting long and complicated!

My two pence...

Trying to create an invisible source of light is bloody silly, just as a stealth plane or submarine using active sensors (sonar or radar) will reveal its position.

For comedy value, consider the mage walking through a dark room shouting "Ping!" and listening for echoes.

I would allow invisibility to be cast on an object to permit line of sight for indirect spells, but not direct spells. Of course this does render the mage casting the spell visible to his target. This isn't a problem when it's a mook, but the caster would themselves be vulnerable to indirect spells cast at them.
booklord
QUOTE (knasser @ Jun 5 2006, 06:44 PM)
Woah. Booklord! I like the framework that you have established here. You've produced something that only needs a very little more detail to fill out the corners and we have a working theory. It does depend on a key element though, which is that resisting the invisibility spell is not seeing the character, but noticing the flaws in the invisibility. That makes resistance less potent and I'm sure you'd end up with players saying, "yeah he knew someone was there, but he couldn't identify me."

Two players are currently playing magicians with Improved Invisibility spells. Two other characters that used to have the spell have since been killed in action. I've had to make a lot of judgements when it comes to this spell.

It says right in the book that successfully seeing throught a physical illusion allows you to see that the illuson is fake but does not dispel the illusion. As such I've always thought that the improved invisibility spell disguised your identity even if the observer saw through it. Think of it as the equivalent of the high-tech "stealth" suit. Even if you saw through the suit's "invisibility" you wouldn't be able to make out who it was.
knasser
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond @ Jun 5 2006, 08:49 PM)

I won't even bug you about violating the Heisenburg Uncertainty Principle...

rollin.gif

Werner Heisenberg speeding down the motorway when the police pull him over:
"Do you know how fast you were going" asks the officer?
"No," replies Heisenberg... "But I know exactly where I'm going!"

Actually, I'm okay with violating Heisenberg. I think if we ever really wanted to put together a comprehensive theory of Shadowrun magic, it would be based on manipulating quantum uncertainty somehow.

Now on with the dance...

proof.gif

Firstly the magic vs. light in the 100m. We don't need to rule out instantaneous travel time for magic. Since we're on a quantum theme, please recall that quantum information does have an instantaneous speed (witness quantum entanglement or what Einstein termed "spooky action at a distance"). Now if magic were to use such a principle then it might certainly be possible to keep track of another aura instantly and irrespective of distance. And considering the gross violation of classical physics that magic represents, it seems quite reasonable to look for its explanations in post-classical physics. In addition to this, I can make a case for magic using higher dimensions which would also adequately explain the apparent instantaneous action at a distance. It's worth noting that one of the most popular theories of modern physics proposes 11 dimensions in total.

As a preliminary, I'll just cover why magic operating in higher dimensions would explain the instantaneous action at a distance, although I expect you will know this. Consider a point (x,y) in two dimensional space. Let's say it's co-ordinates are (2,4). Now it appears that another point (3,5) is actually in a different place and there is no contact between the two. However, if I look at the points in three dimensions, I may find that the points are actually (3,5,9) and (2,4,9). Suddenly it becomes clear that in one of the dimensions, there is a point of contact. To anyone viewing in two dimensions, the points are remote, but this is misleading, because there is actually a correspondence.

Now that's a wild hypothesis and may seem a fiddle, but there are other elements that support magic operating in higher dimensions. For example, magic appears to bring energy out of nothing. It doesn't consume matter or energy from anywhere discernable. It doesn't even give off tell-tale radiation that would indicate an atomic process. As far as we can tell, energy comes from nowhere. But classical physics denies that energy can be created or destroyed. We have two options compatible with known physics: a massive adjustment of quantum probability or translation of the energy from elsewhere, i.e. it is drawn from a higher dimension. Another argument is astral space, beings and perception. In each of these cases we have evidence of something being "there" but undetectible to any known scientific techniques. In what sense could this be? The only possibility is that it is in dimensions other than the common three which current scientific instruments can measure. Indeed, the more we consider this model, the more it fits with all the known elements of Shadowrun magic.

Now having said all that, it's pretty irrelevant because even if magic is limited to the speed of light, it still doesn't affect our invisibility spell.

Here is our illusion (whether presence or absence of light) at the time n. x represents our observer. WIDEMAGE represents our invisible subject from shoulder to shoulder. The little arrows (note the elegant new style) represent the light or absence of light for any given physical illusion spell.
CODE

x

∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆
       |  | | | | | | | |
       WIDEMAGE

Here are the new positions of both at the time the light reaches the observer,

CODE

x
       ∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆
       |  | | | | | | | |
       |  | | | | | | | |
       WIDEMAGE

Do you notice how x who is moving at incredible speed is now 0.5 pixels to the right? No, neither can I because a single pixel on our screen is not small enough to represent the difference. If we assume that x is going at supersonic speeds and is a couple of miles away then x may, just may, witness the small thread ends of of the left sleeve of Wide Mage's t-shirt become visible. Light is that fast. Play with the numbers yourself and see what I mean. We need neither probability cone nor sixth sense. The scenario you are talking about is the bullet hitting a bullet scenario of a single photon hitting a single receptor. This is not the case. We're talking about billions of photons aiming for a target that is, to them, the size of Jupiter's butt. I'm sorry to get excited, but it is.

Regarding the issue of shadows, etc. We're partly covered by this because the only shadows we have to worry about are those aiming [i]towards[/]i the observer. But yes, I consider the possibility of shadows being one of those things that an observant victim (i.e. made her resistance roll), could use to detect an invisible being. This is one of those instances where I think all of our theorising has resulted in adding more realism and atmostphere to the game. Admit it, it's pretty creepy when a player makes their roll and the GM tells them they see the faint shadow of a man walking along the floor towards them.

Okay, covered flashlight. I see what you mean now. I guarentee that any player that thought that up in my game would earn themself a karma point. That's brilliant. Yes, my theory does result in the room being lit for some people, dark for others and varying according to if you're looking in different directions. It seems that to resolve this with any variation on my theory, we now have to track not the location of targets, but whether or not they discern any environmental difference resulting from the target's presence or absence. I'm really torn on this. In a way, it would be enormous fun to have a combat in a room that was dark for some people and magnificently lit for others. I can just imagine the dialogue. Player to troll: "Aim left, left... No! Your other left!" But the long-term consequences of repeated use of this tactic would spoil things. So I suppose the answer is back to the drawing board.

Still it's been fun. I think we have to examine these arguments in the case of booklord's theories. He is our last best hope.

Khadeem now gracefully cedes the floor bloody but smiling having done his best to justify the absurd. smile.gif

Although... looking back at my dimensions hypotheses... I might have one more idea. Hmmmmm.
Eyeless Blond
Just a few comments:

QUOTE (knasser)
As a preliminary, I'll just cover why magic operating in higher dimensions would explain the instantaneous action at a distance, although I expect you will know this.  Consider a point (x,y) in two dimensional space. Let's say it's co-ordinates are (2,4). Now it appears that another point (3,5) is actually in a different place and there is no contact between the two. However, if I look at the points in three dimensions, I may find that the points are actually (3,5,9) and (2,4,9). Suddenly it becomes clear that in one of the dimensions, there is a point of contact. To anyone viewing in two dimensions, the points are remote, but this is misleading, because there is actually a correspondence.

Good reasoning for most of the above, but this is an incorrect analogy. The addition of a third dimension does not decrease the distance between the two particles in any way. The particles are not in any more contact upon adding the third coordinate than they were when looking at the original two; the fact that they have the same z-coordinate is nothing more than an artifact of the frame of reference you chose for your coordinate system. Rotation of this frame of reference would make the z-coordinates different, but this does not mean that the particles themselves have somehow gained or lost any correspondence they once had, other than the mathematical convenience of being in the same z-plane.

Regarding the issue of shadows, etc. We're partly covered by this because the only shadows we have to worry about are those aiming [i]towards[/]i the observer. But yes, I consider the possibility of shadows being one of those things that an observant victim (i.e. made her resistance roll), could use to detect an invisible being. This is one of those instances where I think all of our theorising has resulted in adding more realism and atmostphere to the game. Admit it, it's pretty creepy when a player makes their roll and the GM tells them they see the faint shadow of a man walking along the floor towards them.

Perhaps it's not clear why this is a problem:
CODE
           B    

S              
           S              
A <-------- M <--------    

^              
           |              
           |              
           |              

Now, Invisible mage M is standing in front of mook A. A can't see M because he failed to resist the spell, poor bastard, so the left-pointing light rays go through M as you predict. However, the upward-pointing rays aren't going anywhere near A, so they are unmolested. However, since those light rays are coming from a nice bright spotlight, this leaves a nice black shadow S under the mage, which A can clearly see.

Or can he? Let's assume the spell can somehow intuit that this shadow would be there and allows the upward light to go through M to compensate. Poor mook B! *He* resisted the spell, but now, because the spell had to make the light move through M to fool A, he gets shafted anyway.

See the problem?

Although... looking back at my dimensions hypotheses... I might have one more idea. Hmmmmm.

I await your new theory, boxing gloves at the ready. biggrin.gif
Cochise
First I have to say: ~HAHA~
Second I have to say: ~HAHA~ again.

Why? Pretty simple: You guys are now experiencing the same problems that german players and GMs had with SR3 due to a fucked up translation that said that physical indirect illusions physically bend light around its primary target despite the illusionary effect for an observing "target" (Note that in SR3 both the person that was made invisible and any observers were "targets" of the spell).
But it wasn't a purely german problem back then, because more than once (even on this board) in the discussions on how the physical version of the invis spell worked the light bending theory came up .. soon to be followed by problems of being blind, potential overheating and a dilemma with spell resistance.
The RAW-solution back then still imposed certain LOS issues like the example given with the invisible troll working as shield for another person (the real trouble starting once that second person suddenly steps into vision field of a person that couldn't see her just seconds before).

So what's new? Someone in the SR4 staff brought that light bending into the spell description of physical invis ... and the argument starts once more.
And currently of two solutions one (namely the one where light is bent / warped at / around the observer) pretty much does what the SR3 version did, leaving certain LOS problems and the other solution (affecting the light at the invisible person) still raises the question how that would allow for a resistance test (the described effect being more of a complete physical alteration that a manipulation spell usually imposes).

But why the second laughter? Because of the FAQ-reference ... Even before shadowrunfaq took over the job, there were certain rulings in the FAQ that had nothing to do with RAW (and to a certain extend raised the question if Rob Boyle had actually read his own rules, since at some point he did the FAQ himself). Once shadowrunfaq took over we got a dedicated FAQ writer ... who simply created various instances where he went more or less straight against RAW and game concept... The LOS creation through walls by the physical invis spell being one of them, because the illusion of seeing through a wall (even if you decide to actually show what truely is behind that wall) doesn't generate what is required for casting spells: actually seeing a target with either physical or astral sight.
And that FAQ answer still ignores the debate whether or not in SR3 an invis spell can actually be cast on a single non-living object.

So what's my solution?
I'll stick with what I've played in SR3 and that's the solution where light is altered at / within a perceivers "eye" to create the false image of "there's nothing there" and where even the person under invis spell has to resist the spell in order to see him / herself. Both leading to the following when it comes to flash lights: The light of carried flash light will be "invisible" to anyone who failed to resist the spell ...

And since somebody brought up the "magic isn't intelligent" issue:
Magic clearly is "intelligent" despite what stood in MitS (or even prior rulebooks), since it's capable of fulfilling the desired purpose of spells with target restrictions.
But magic isn't intelligent enough to make decissions outside that. A spell cannot alter it's purpose or willingly ignore a normally valid target. But it will ignore any target that isn't valid by design.
To make an example: You could create invis a physical manipulation where light actually is bent around a target (let's just ignore the fact that this person would be blind during that time and let's also ignore the potential heat problem *that IIRC would only arise after quite a while*) => Such a spell could not be resisted by any observer since the target of the spell is just the light that's being bent. Now let's assume that our invisible person is holding a flash light and turns it on (doesn't matter that she can't even see the light) ... In this case the light (or better its reflections) of the flash light could be perfectly seen by any observer and only that part that actually travels back to the invisible person would be subject to the light beinding effect of the spell.
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Cochise)
So what's my solution?
I'll stick with what I've played in SR3 and that's the solution where light is altered at / within a perceivers "eye" to create the false image of "there's nothing there" and where even the person under invis spell has to resist the spell in order to see him / herself. Both leading to the following when it comes to flash lights: The light of carried flash light will be "invisible" to anyone who failed to resist the spell ...

See? My idea isn't so radical after all. smile.gif

And since somebody brought up the "magic isn't intelligent" issue:
Magic clearly is "intelligent" despite what stood in MitS (or even prior rulebooks), since it's capable of fulfilling the desired purpose of spells with target restrictions.
But magic isn't intelligent enough to make decissions outside that. A spell cannot alter it's purpose or willingly ignore a normally valid target. But it will ignore any target that isn't valid by design.

Well, I argue that's not so much intelligence as it is limitation on the part of the targets. Dog whistles, for instance, affects dogs but not humans not because the sound itself is selectively choosing whom to affect so much as humans are simply incapable of perceiving high-frequency sound. I always kinda thought of mana invisability as similar; it affects living targets only, not because technological targets are being specifically excluded, but because the nature of the mana spell only affects living targets.

The whole idea of magic "consciously" selecting targets based off of a conditional criteria was why knasser's idea was originally so distasteful, and why I kept referring to "computational complexity" while discussing it.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (knasser @ Jun 6 2006, 01:16 PM)
Actually, I'm okay with violating Heisenberg. I think if we ever really wanted to put together a comprehensive theory of Shadowrun magic, it would be based on manipulating quantum uncertainty somehow.

Now that's just silly. Quantum physics =! metaphysics. Attempts to equte them in the real world are little more the pseudoscientific quackery that makes adherents look very foolish. Likewise, if you want a reaonable and realistic scientific foundation for magic in SR attempting to use Quantum physics to justify magical effects is a mistake.

In fact, there already exists a stable foundation upon which a player or GM can build metaphysical theory in the form of Earthdawn. The nature of magic and metaphysics is far better devolped in Earthdawn than it is in Shadowrun simply because magic in Shadowrun is very new. Metaphysics was the primary science of the Fourth World and it was well understood then.

In Earthdawn, everything has a metaphysical Pattern. Patterns are essentially similar to Plato's concpt of Forms. Generic objects have a generic Pattern while unique objects and sentient beings have a unique True Pattern but the principal is the same for both. An object's Pattern is what dtermines its nature and its properties. Magic is able to connect, manpulate,create, and alter these Patterns. Now, most of these magical manipulations are temporary. A fireball or an acid wave will quickly vanish. Long-lasting spells usually have to be sustained. However, it is possible to make permenant alterations to a Pattern or create a permenant True Pattern. The fact that these Patterns determine the physical properties of an object becomes very obvious when you look at the Wyrm Wood/Blood Wood. The change to its pattern caused massive changes throughout the forest.

Now, since magic is all about manipulating metaphysical energies and metaphysical patterns it seems obvious that the explination for any spell would be metaphysical.
LOS is fundamental to spellcasting. We might ask outselves why this is. Perhaps sight isn't just about interpertating reflected photons. Perhaps, sight has a metaphysical component. Perhaps, seeing something creates a temperory link from the Pattern of the viewed to the Pattern of the one that is seen. In this case, we can assert that Invisibility prevents this link from forming. This provides a great explination of mana invisibility. Cameras have Patterns just like anything else so we can assume form the same type of metaphysical link when they see but because they are not alive mana spells cannot do anything to them. Improved invisibility is simply prevents inanimate objects from forming this type of metaphysical link.

With this theory, the question of wether or not you can see behins an invisible object is not answered. It could go either way. However, it is obvious that you cannot form LOS using invisibility if this is the case. Personally, I would assume that you can see behind invisible objects, with all forms of invisibility.

As for the invisible flashlights, according to my theory an invisible flashlight can still illuminate objects but you cannot see the light it you look directly at it.
As for the invisible flashlight cover, you can see th elight if you look directly at it but it will not illuminate any object.

This theory also accounts for magical vision enhancements which are resisted. Instead of directly improving a sense it creates an artificial metaphysical connection between the target and the subject.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012