Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: VR?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Shinobi Killfist
As I understand it cold sim VR gives you reflexes+intuition(reaction) +1 extra initiative pass. AR you use your ordinary initiative, but it you have wired reflexes 1 or synaptic booster 1 wouldn't you be going the same speed, so it seems there would be no reason for a boosted/wired hacker to use cold sim.

Hot sim gives you 2 extra passes and +1 to your reaction, so if you had wired 2/synaptic booster 2 you'd be just as fast and the only benefit to hot sim would be the +2 dice to all computer tests. Solid benefit but maybe not worth the risk if you got the meat speed.

Am I reading this right?

If so, I say AR all the way with a bit of meat speed.
Serbitar
broken rules

It is said several times that VR is "speed of thought". no meatbody can ever be faster than speed of thought., especially in a logic based environment like the matrix where physical reflexes are irrelevant and thinking is key.
Glayvin34
QUOTE (Serbitar)
broken rules

It is said several times that VR is "speed of thought". no meatbody can ever be faster than speed of thought., especially in a logic based environment like the matrix where physical reflexes are irrelevant and thinking is key.

I don't see why Wired Reflexes or Synaptic Boost wouldn't use similar DNI technology as the Matrix. So with extensive modification the human body can input commands via AR with the same speed as VR, that makes perfect sense to me. Sure VR is more effective because you don't have to go through AR gloves, that's why you get the +2.

I know Serbitar hates the rules on this wink.gif , but I think it makes sense.
Shinobi Killfist
Ok so I was reading it right. It doesn't bother me much, quite frankly I think speed of thought is highly over rated in comics/fantasy etc. Most poeple just don't think that much faster than they can move, especially if there trained in the form of movement there thinking about.(round about way of saying poeple/ all people are dumb) biggrin.gif
Divine Virus
The key point is not how fast you can think, but the speed between when you intend to think and the thought occurs.
Toptomcat
Intention is a kind of thought.
Divine Virus
That is highly debatabe, but also not what I ment.

Lets say you want to do somthing like lifting your arm. there is a delay between when you decided to do it. How long is the delay between when you decided to think and that thought occurs?
Samaels Ghost
SR3 stresses that hacking/manipulating the Matrix is done via visual representation/interpretations of computer processes. I'm not sure how this translates into AR. Also I remember reading that there is a sort of subjective time phenominon where Matrix actions may seem to take much longer than actual gametime (like walking down a virtual street may seem to take a few minutes while in RL it happens in a simple action or 1.5 seconds depending on howmany IPs you have)

I'm pretty sure the same subjective time phenomenon still applies.
hobgoblin
i think the real issue is that you can in theory get more actions with wired reflexes and AR then you can with VR+hot-sim. and at the same time your more or less immune to the effects of black programs. and by the looks of it there are no explisit rules for black programs blocking your ability to go from VR to AR quickly.

about the only place where VR is more effective then AR is when you try to break into a node using probing rather then brute force. other then that AR is often on par, if not slighty ahead, of VR.
Divine Virus
Personally I don't beleive that wired Relfexes, snyapic boosters, and magic affect IP while in VR or AR.
Eyeless Blond
Why wouldn't they? How is moving your body to respond to AR different from moving your body to respond to physical objects? That's as silly as the old SR3 rules that your Wired Reflexes somehow cease to function the moment you grab a steering wheel or, even worse, get in a car where someone *else* is using the steering wheel.
ornot
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
about the only place where VR is more effective then AR is when you try to break into a node using probing rather then brute force. other then that AR is often on par, if not slighty ahead, of VR.

I think that's intentional. One of the reasons deckers were so hard to intergrate in SR3 was the fact they had to stay wired up to whatever box they were decking through. As soon as they broke that conection they became a liability for the running team since they had innevitably sunk so many points into decking skills that they couldn't keep up in the meat.

Alright, I'm exaggerating a bit, but a deckers moment in the limelight was small, and couldn't be shared by anyone else in the party as they didn't ahve the 'ware or the equipment to keep up in the matrix.
Teulisch
actualy... AR uses your normal combat initive. VR uses you matrix sim initive, for hot, cold, or technomancer.

Cold VR is 2 IP. Hot VR or a normal technomancer is 3 IP. 4 IP is a technomancer who has submerged, and chosen the higher IP ability.

In AR however... all you have is the computer screen (in your cybereyes if needed), and the keyboard. So how fast you can type becomes important. If you have reflexes boosted to where you get 3+ IP, then there no reason to ever use VR. its mechanicaly inferior, and more dangerous.

Look on page 230. It shows thr difference between AR, and VR. now, the specific wording is that AR uses 'meat-body speeds', and "you can choose between interacting with teh physical world or the matrix with each action". that 'each action' part implies that i can use all 4 IP from wired 3 and use it to deal with the matrix.

The problem here is that it is a considerable change from the SR3 matrix speeds, and rewards hackers who get wired reflexes instead of using hot sim, by making them immune to teh worst of black IC. Also, the exact wording could be read teh other way around- that you only get 1 matrix action a turn at AR speed.

But then, hacking at AR speed is more important now, as the hacker MUST go on the run with the team most times, and VR would leave your meat vunerable in a gunfight. So noot risking IC in this case means risking real bullets instead.

In the end, we have a situation that needs a house rule to clarify it, at least until the matrix book comes out.
Aaron
I remember reading somewhere that an AR user may only make one Matrix action per Combat Turn, but I don't remember if that was in the BBB or on DS.
Glayvin34
Personally, I think an important aspect of this is the Initiative passes only apply to cybercombat. If you have Wired Reflexes 3, it still takes a days in AR to Exploit your way into a node, and you don't get the +2 for Hot Sim. Wired Reflexes/ Synaptic Booster/ Increase Reflexes really doesn't affect anything in the Matrix besides how fast you can put in commands during combat in AR, and the fact that you can do meat combat actions during your turn.

So what it really does, as Teulicsh says, is make your Hacker actually useful in meat combat while he is doing cybercombat at the same time. I guess that's a change for SR3, is it bad?
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (ornot @ Jun 15 2006, 07:53 PM)
I think that's intentional. One of the reasons deckers were so hard to intergrate in SR3 was the fact they had to stay wired up to whatever box they were decking through. As soon as they broke that conection they became a liability for the running team since they had innevitably sunk so many points into decking skills that they couldn't keep up in the meat.

Alright, I'm exaggerating a bit, but a deckers moment in the limelight was small, and couldn't be shared by anyone else in the party as they didn't ahve the 'ware or the equipment to keep up in the matrix.

All of that depends on how you ran deckers. The Infiltration Challenge thread is what I consider a primer on how to properly integrate a decker into a team. It essentially boiled down to whether you actually tried to have events running concurently to the decker's decking, or if you ran his side of events like a mage's astral quest: completely seperate and disjoined from the action, to the point where the metaphors don't even line up well.

You'll also note that the decker in that thread also made more than a passable face, despite having mad skills in the Matrix, and was also passable as a medic and not a terrible shot, though of course nothing compared to a sam. Those particular characters were built with a little extra karma post-chargen, but it was nearly always true that even primary deckers in sr3 could afford to have a good secondary focus in addition to good decking ability, whether that be magic, rigging, combat, what have you.
Samaels Ghost

Not bad... Our Hacker is the best shot in the party, an incredible medic (with those Logic boosters he's good at more than just healing), and he's a spectacular hacker. While he does Probe the Target in VR, if he is ever caught he quickly (Simple action) switches back to AR.

That +2 Hot Sim doesn't do that much if you're already a good Hacker, which you should be, unless it's a secondary skill.

And Speed can be far more important than skill. IPs are super important.
Samaels Ghost
My point earlier was that AR doesn't seem to conform to the metaphor like processing that computers had been designed as for so long. If matrix time can be subjective but you're experiencing the realworld at the same time (AR hacking while shooting) can you really make sense of waht you're doing in AR Matrix? Wouldn't it be like watching a movie in fast forward?

How does the AR Matrix sensory metaphors affect you while fighting RL? Are you experiencing both the sights and sounds of the Matrix AND RL at the same time? I know you can sense VR and RL at the same time with a -6 modifier, but what about AR? The Matrix in AR isn't code, it's another world with all types of objects, walls, and personas. I know that there is a side bar that reminds you of how obtrusive AR can be (with possible mods to actions and perceptions) but what about to AR actions? Using meat-body speeds doesn't seem to be enough of a hinderince

I don't think that AR mixes with the Matrix as it was envisioned before...
hobgoblin
nah, AR is more of the destop system we have today, floating in mid-air nyahnyah.gif

and going aR with trodes or a jack and you can in theory pass commands without moving. i just wish there was a seperate speed list for some actions outside of matrix combat, like say bumping the search times when your in AR so that it will take longer (1 turn for same device, 1 min for same network, 1 hour for entire matrix).

that would be consistent with the probe target diffrence i think...

one thing you can do tho is that when there is matrix combat between two people, the person using hot VR should go before the person not doing so on a initiative tie.

I remember reading somewhere that an AR user may only make one Matrix action per Combat Turn, but I don't remember if that was in the BBB or on DS.

this was a DS creation from a earlyer thread about a similar topic...
Samaels Ghost
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
nah, AR is more of the destop system we have today, floating in mid-air nyahnyah.gif

and going aR with trodes or a jack and you can in theory pass commands without moving.

Data jacks and Trodes are for VR or maybe mental E-mailing, not AR right? I'm not quite sure all of a sudden...

The books says that Trode are for "experiencing simsense". The datajack may be able to manip AR.

Here the computer tech timeline as I understand it.

NOW: Keyboards, screens along with lines of code to take actions

POST CRASH 1: Cyber terminals, Cyber decks whose user interface was metaphorical. ACtions were taken through emotive commands. Deckers using Keyboards still have to use Trodes.

POST CRASH 2: AR is introduced. AR is the Matrix projected/layered on top of RL senses. AR Gloves are used to do what datajacks and trodes used to do: interact with the same metaphorical Matrix processes except without the emotive commands of Cyberdeck/terminals

This last part in bold is what I'm having a hard time reconciling. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what's been stated before?
Brahm
QUOTE (Serbitar)
broken rules

Some people don't think too fast.

Some of those people also read way to fucking much into phrases of the fluff, and then make spurious leaps of logic from there. Some of those people then misuse terms like "broken rules".

Broken rules? Broken thought!
Serbitar
VR: brain - matrix
AR: brain - body - matrix

AR wired-3: 4 IPs +3 Initiative
hot VR: 3 IPs +1 Initiative

broken

how can your body plus your brain be faster than just your brain? Especially in 100% logic oriented tasks like computer/hacking ?

there is nothing to argue about

My house rule (from SHP): An AR hacker can only take an AR action in IP 1, a meat body driver can only take a driving action in IP 1. The rest of the actions he can spend doing something else.

Edit: +3 Ini instead of +6. Still playing some SR3 . . .
Samaels Ghost
QUOTE (Serbitar)

AR wired-3: 4 IPs +6 Initiative

broken

how can your body plus your brain be faster than just your brain? Especially in 100% logic oriented tasks like computer/hacking ?

+6??? doesn't wired only give you +1 REA per rating?
Serbitar
Was thinking SR3, sorry, edited
kigmatzomat
I don't see what the big deal is. The guy with VR gets away with using trodes. The other guy had major invasive surgery and he *has* to interface with AR physically (keyboard or AR gloves) or else it won't apply. This means he doesn't just space out, his hands spasm and jerk as he manipulates the AR interfaces. Subtle it is not.

Cold VR + trodes = Essence Loss 0, risk of stun damage
AR + Wires 1: Essence loss 2, 11kY, no potential matrix injury

Hot VR + trodes = Essence loss 0, risk of physical injury
AR + Wires 2: Essence loss 3, 32kY, no potential matrix injury

AR + Wires 3: Essence loss 5, 100kY, no potential matrix injury

Plus, by the RAW, if someone is using the slow infiltration technique that takes hours they are not penalized by using AR. So deckers should switch between AR and cold/hot VR depending on the time sensitivity of the task.
Brahm
QUOTE (Serbitar @ Jun 16 2006, 09:46 AM)
broken

AR to get 4IPs, most of your essense and a pile of cash, or a good chunk of essense and a huge pile of cash.

VR still gets a bonus 2 dice to all tests. Plus when driving Threshold is 1 lower, and +2 dice for the Control Rig is only available, as far as I can tell, with VR.

So AR has really just made non-VR a viable option, but it costs essense/cash to do so. Not so broken.

Indeed there isn't, because you are extrapolating a lot from a bit of fluff that is not only a leftover from SR3. Quite obviously there is some lag in the VR interface. Technomancers, by Overclocking, become more in sync with the VR, overcoming that obstacle.

Meaning of course Technomancers with Overclocking, just given the core book, still rock an AR users world. With enough karma that is, since they are horrid karma sinks.

Yes it'd be nice for Arsenal/Unwired to have extra gear to differenciate further between AR and VR, but in the meantime it isn't too bad.

Yet you find yourself here prattling on? biggrin.gif
Glayvin34
QUOTE (Serbitar)

If I may amend:
VR: Brain/Nervous System - datajack/ trodes - Commlink/Matrix
AR: Brain/Nervous System - Muscles - AR Gloves - Commlink/Matrix
AR with Wired Reflexes: Brain/ Enhanced Reaction Nervous System - Enhanced Reaction Muscles - AR Gloves - Commlink/Matrix

The AR v. Wired Reflexes AR is ONLY relevant in Cybercombat. If you need to make a split-second decision to raise your defenses or attack a open spot, the half-second interval of a single (among three) IP is plenty of time to key a complex action. As long as the hardware can support it, and since the comm gets the same commands regardless of where in the PAN it comes from, the hardware can.
Lagomorph
It seems odd that 3 IP is essentially defined as "the speed of thought" and that you can move faster than the speed of thought with the right gear.
Geekkake
QUOTE (Lagomorph)
It seems odd that 3 IP is essentially defined as "the speed of thought" and that you can move faster than the speed of thought with the right gear.

Well, I think that actively reflects the "act before you think" policy of most SR players I know...
Shinobi Killfist
QUOTE (Serbitar)

AR wired-3: 4 IPs +3 Initiative

broken

My house rule (from SHP): An AR hacker can only take an AR action in IP 1, a meat body driver can only take a driving action in IP 1. The rest of the actions he can spend doing something else.

Edit: +3 Ini instead of +6. Still playing some SR3 . . .

Well one way to look at it is the more cyber/bio initiative boosters you have the closer you get to thoughts and physical action becoming one. Also a cold/hot sim guy may not be as fast as you think. They have to mentally bring up programs, it might not be I'm thinking baout punching person A, it might be something like bring up attack program 23A attack that persona with it.

At level 1 init booster your thoughts and acitons are close enough to being 1 that you type as fast as a cold sim person can mentally manipulate programs.

At level 2 init booster your thoughts and acitons are close enough to bein as one to be as fast as a hot sim person can manipulate programs.

At level 3 init booster you move as fast as a techomancer so maybe you've actually hit the point where thought and action are one, your wolverine without the lame limit of getting gunned/beat down every panel to show how spiffy your regen is. Mechanically though your thought action speed is same as is takes for a speed oriented tecnomancer to manipulate his complex forms/programs whatever they do.
Brahm
QUOTE (Geekkake)
QUOTE (Lagomorph @ Jun 16 2006, 11:45 AM)

Well, I think that actively reflects the "act before you think" policy of most SR players I know...

Funny because it is true. rotfl.gif

But yes Lagomorph, that is the thing. You have to understand that bit of fluff about speed of thought in the context of the rules. Otherwise you misunderstand what it really means.
Glayvin34
QUOTE (Lagomorph)

Shinobi's got it, I think.

There's a bottleneck for the speed of thought when using trodes or a datajack that incorporate ASIST, you can only have 3 IPs out of a maximum of 4. If you've got the opitome of human technology or mystic abilities, i.e. WR 3, SB 3, IR 4 or overclocking, then you actually move faster then an ASIST module's ability to track your thoughts and translate them to the Matrix. So without an overclocked Technomancer, the Matrix actually doesn't move at the speed of thought.
Serbitar
QUOTE (Glayvin34 @ Jun 16 2006, 12:11 PM)
If you've got the opitome of human technogology or mystic abilities, i.e. WR 3, SB 3, IR 4 or overclocking, then you actually move faster then an ASIST module's ability to track your thoughts and translate them to the Matrix.

Yes, that is the right conclusion, and that is something I do not accept, thus my house rule.

I think ASIST should be at least an order of magnitude faster than anything more physical.
Just the thought of somebody typing faster than I can think is unacceptable.

I would really want to know whether this rule is intentional (as the RAW interpretation is preatty clear) or just a mistake.
Lagomorph
excellent points shinobi, I just hope there's an "even hotter sim" in the unwired book that lets hackers get a 4th IP
Brahm
QUOTE (Serbitar @ Jun 16 2006, 12:16 PM)
Yes, that is the right conclusion, and that is something I do not accept, thus my house rule.

So in fact you simply don't like the technology limits of standard Hot ASIST as they exist in the canon Shadowrun world, and have decided to replace it with something else of your own design. That's fine. But it is also something that is far, far different than a situation of "broken rules".
Brahm
QUOTE (Lagomorph @ Jun 16 2006, 12:37 PM)
excellent points shinobi, I just hope there's an "even hotter sim" in the unwired book that lets hackers get a 4th IP

I think it the differentiation can be handled in more interesting ways than adding a 4th IP. For example I'd like to see, available only in VR, what I call a Persona Splitter. The Persona Splitter would allow you to have two active Matrix personas instead of the current limit of one. Yes you can have multiple copies of your persona, but only one can be active at a time and the rest are drooling space holders. So it would be like an Agent at your side, or in another node, only it is you with all your knowledge and with a very quick, unbreakable communication link between the two.
Samaels Ghost
Couldn't you just have multiple comms hooked up to a router? click and poof you have fresh Persona
Serbitar
QUOTE (Brahm @ Jun 16 2006, 12:42 PM)

So in fact you simply don't like the technology limits of standard Hot ASIST as they exist in the canon Shadowrun world, and have decided to replace it with something else of your own design. That's fine. But it is also something that is far, far different than a situation of "broken rules".

It is broken because fluff text and shadowrun spirit says the opposite.
I say: This rule is not intentional and thus broken.

It is not broken game-balancing wise it is broken setting wise.
Brahm
QUOTE (Serbitar @ Jun 16 2006, 01:01 PM)

...... as far as your interpretation of the single phrase is concerned. Well not really the opposite, but it is incongruant. Once again we look back to what you typed:

So in fact it does make sense once you understand what they were talking about. That someone in VR isn't held back by the mundane muscle and spinal cord structure. But instead you decide to interpret the fluff differently, and working backwards declare that the rules must be wrong because they don't match up with your chosen intepretation. An intepretation that focused narrowly on that 3 word scope without context of the rest of the book.
Serbitar
So Brahm is back to trolling?
Brahm
QUOTE (Serbitar @ Jun 16 2006, 01:42 PM)
So Brahm is back to trolling?

Pointing out the logic flaws in your statements equals trolling? That is right up there with your assessment of broken rules! *thumbs up* dead.gif
Serbitar
Hehe, logic flaws . . .
Na anyways, have fun.
Brahm
You'd prefer the even more accurate characterization of your assertions, braindead idiocy? So be it, have a nice day!
booklord
A physical adept named Staros was walking down the street. He activated his AR Gloves and began ordering dinner from a nearby take-out when a gang of six street toughs jumped out of the shadows and attacked. The fight took several minutes but in the end all the toughs were out cold lying in the street. A street kid who saw the fight ran up to Staros.

"That was really wiz, mister!"

Staros looked at the unconscious bodies around him and then reached to his wrist and turned off his AR gloves.

"Yeah, unfortunately I also ordered tickets to the Shield Wall concert this weekend, joined the archconservative party and answered the personal ad of a troll named Wanda. Gotta Run."
kigmatzomat
QUOTE (Serbitar)
QUOTE (Brahm @ Jun 16 2006, 12:42 PM)

I say: This rule is not intentional and thus broken.

It is not broken game-balancing wise it is broken setting wise.

I don't see how it can be "unintentional." Anyone with any history to SR will know that there have always been 3 grades of wires and the obvious result is +1/+2/+3 IP. They wanted the "no more than 4 IP" to be a hard rule and if technomancers were to be faster than deckers it forced hot VR to be +2 IP.

It may disagree with the previous rules, it may not. I no longer remember the previous rules to know if deckers of old could get higher initiative than sammies or vice versa. I don't think it contradicts the setting as a whole for hackers to get less actions than a fully-borged sammy. It might be odd but in the days of Essence:6 deckers, I don't think it's so bad.

Besides, it gives room for future books to provide some growth potential.
Shadowmeet
QUOTE (booklord)
A physical adept named Staros was walking down the street. He activated his AR Gloves and began ordering dinner from a nearby take-out when a gang of six street toughs jumped out of the shadows and attacked. The fight took several minutes but in the end all the toughs were out cold lying in the street. A street kid who saw the fight ran up to Staros.

"That was really wiz, mister!"

Staros looked at the unconscious bodies around him and then reached to his wrist and turned off his AR gloves.

"Yeah, unfortunately I also ordered tickets to the Shield Wall concert this weekend, joined the archconservative party and answered the personal ad of a troll named Wanda. Gotta Run."

Heh! I loved that.
Samaels Ghost
Oh Staros, what will become of you...
hobgoblin
i see so many wrong reads of how AR works it not funny...

AR can be interfaced using gloves and glasses, or simsense. simsense can be experienced using trodes or datajack.

so, going with trodes, or jack, and a simsense module on the comlink, you dont realy have to move to interface with AR.
Serbitar
which makes the wired 3 guy with 4 AR passes even more weird
hobgoblin
heh, thats true. but im just going play it by the rules and wait for unwired...

hmm, to bad that the reality filter only grants a +1 response in SR4. SR3 version grants you another initiative pass. if that was the case in SR4, you would have the way for the VR guy to take back the lead from the AR guy...

still, i think that the AR rules where written without fully looking at the wired reflexes, or that someone did a last min edit on said cyberware...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012