Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wizkids having Problems?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Eldritch

WizKids
Damon White Reports: From Marc Lore, Chief Operating Officer of WizKids:

"Dear Hobby Game Community,
Due to changing demands within our industry and within our own company, WizKids is reorganizing to strengthen itself within the marketplace. Unfortunately, this brought about a tough decision to have a reduction in force. This is necessary to realign

overheads with revenues as well as refocus our resources on the functions that we believe will create value to the industry and growth for our company.

These steps are necessary for the long term health of WizKids., and will allow us to focus on our core Brands of Battlestar Galactica, HeroClix, HorrorClix, MechWarrior and Pirates. Our company is firmly committed to supporting the Core Hobby Game industry and plans to serve this industry for years to come.

WizKids’ commitment to innovation and excellence has not changed and we look forward to working with all of the folks that make this industry great to help transform the marketplace once more into one that is vibrant and exciting.

In the next few weeks, we will share with you the results of our deliberations, and our plans for the future of the great games you have come to know and love."

I'm not familiar with the ins and outs of the Wizkids/Fanpro/Shadowrun corp structure - but what does this mean for the futrue of SR? Any thing?
Abbandon
Sounds like the beginning of the end to me for wizkids in general. More specifically it sounded like they were gonna dump all there *clix games. Which includes Shadworun duels.

"What you mean nobody wants to a buy a stupid 16$+ action model to play table top battles??"

Shrike30
What part of "will allow us to focus on our core Brands of Battlestar Galactica, HeroClix, HorrorClix, MechWarrior and Pirates" indicated to you that they planned to dump the 'Clix games? My understanding is that HeroClix was the thing that managed to get WizKids into the "nicely profitable" range. If $16 seems like too much to pay for a model for tabletop battles, I hate to tell you what even the beginnings of a decent Warhammer 40k army goes for, and that's a phenomenally successful game.

The failure to list Shadowrun has me concerned.
Ophis
Wizkids don't produce Shadowrun, people who know more please correct me if I'm wrong, but Wizkids involvement in SR is only as the holders of the license(rights, Int Prop whatever they have), Fanpro a seperate company licensed to produce it, Wizkid cutting back their range won't affect that at all.
JM Hardy
A few things:

1) I'm not sure that I'd call this the beginning of the end for WizKids. They went through a similar re-org a little over two years ago and came out of it okay. It's just something that happens in corps on occasion. That doesn't mean, however, that I'm guaranteeing the health of WizKids--just that I'm not guaranteeing its downfall, either.

2) The news certainly doesn't change anything for Shadowrun Duels. Nothing was going on with that game, and nothing will continue to go on with that game.

3) The corporate re-org affects the RPG side of Shadowrun minimally if at all. Ophis pretty much has that right.

4) The one area of SR that WizKids is directly involved in is the novels--they commission and edit them. As part of this re-org, the editor at WizKids who handles their novels (both MechWarrior and Shadowrun) was laid off. I'm not sure what this means for the future of the novels at this moment. I'm almost positive the remaining two novels in the original contract will come out, but future novels now have a more iffy status. I'll let people here know anything as I find anything out.

Jason H.
Cain
QUOTE (Ophis)
Wizkids don't produce Shadowrun, people who know more please correct me if I'm wrong, but Wizkids involvement in SR is only as the holders of the license(rights, Int Prop whatever they have), Fanpro a seperate company licensed to produce it, Wizkid cutting back their range won't affect that at all.

Sort of. Wizkids (more specifically, Jordan Wiseman) owns the Shadowrun RPG rights. They've licensed the rights to publish the RPG to Fanpro, but they kept the miniatures and CCG rights to themselves (even though Duels didn't really do very well). The video game rights are held by FASA interactive, which was bought out by Microsoft sometime in the 90's.

What might afftect the Fanpro license is that Wizkids has now contracted with Great White Games/Pinnacle to produce a RPG version of Pirates and Battletech. Since Wizkids also owns the rights to Battletech, which is licensed to Fanpro, this makes things look bad for a rerelease of Mechwarrior. Pinnacle produces the spectacularily popular Savage Worlds game system, and the upcoming Pirates RPG will be running with that system. If they do exceptionally well, Fanpro's continued holding of the Shadowrun license could be jeopardized, and then we'd see an official Savage Shadowrun version on the market.
Eldritch
Thanks guys.

Any other feedback form 'Those in the know' would be appreciated.

James McMurray
Pinnacle produces the spectacularily popular Savage Worlds

Spectacularly popular in the sense that I've never seen it mentioned anywhere but dumpshock, and usually by Cain. smile.gif

I'm not saying it isn't a great game. I've never even seen it on a shelf, so I'm the last one to ask about it. I've just gotten the impression that Cain has some sort of hardon for the game, so you may want to take his statements about it with a grain of salt.
PBTHHHHT
Savage Worlds isn't too bad, I play it and there's quite a few folks I know that do use this system.
James McMurray
I'm not saying it isn't well known, just that it probably isn't as "spectacularly popular" as Cain likes to believe. He has frequently shown an ability to confuse his own opinion with Truth, so when I see statements as dubious as that one coming from him I feel obliged to speak up.

That and I like giving him crap. wink.gif
Squinky
QUOTE (James McMurray)
He has frequently shown an ability to confuse his own opinion with Truth.

I thought that was the whole point of dumpshock smile.gif
James McMurray
Nah, just most of it. Some small portion of the populace likes to actually discuss things with the openmindedness necessary to change views if they're wrong. smile.gif
hobgoblin
hmm, savage shadowrun. whatever...

seems to me that the only "special" thing about that system is that there are only 2-3 conditions for a combatant. and what keeps the characters standing is some kind of "edge" that allow them for some time to avoid getting those conditions if needed.

i see nothing special about it as its mostly the same that i have seen from feng shui, or could basicly add anywhere by applying a saving trow or whatever for the non-important npcs. they fail they fall, out of the game. and unless specificed by the oponent, not dead...
PBTHHHHT
QUOTE (James McMurray @ Jun 19 2006, 02:04 PM)
That and I like giving him crap. wink.gif

fair 'nough smile.gif
Kagetenshi
There really isn't anything special about Savage Worlds. It follows the old path of not doing anything spectacularly badly (well, ok, a number of things, especially deviation on thrown items, but nothing too huge) by not doing anything particularly well.

It is, in my experience, not that far from the ultimate beer-and-pretzels game, though.

~J
Brahm
QUOTE (Cain)
If they do exceptionally well, Fanpro's continued holding of the Shadowrun license could be jeopardized, and then we'd see an official Savage Shadowrun version on the market.

For that to be a possibility it would depend heavily on what the current licensing conditions were. Given that Shadowrun 4 is just out a year and selling well itself, and with a number of products near release, yanking the rights from Fanpro or allowing a duplicate product to be produced by someone else might not only be difficult, but also I'd suggest outlandishly foolish.

Of course sillier things have happened, but that senario would have to be quite a longshot right now.
James McMurray
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
It is, in my experience, not that far from the ultimate beer-and-pretzels game, though.

Better than Nuclear War (the card game, not the actual thing wink.gif )?
Synner
QUOTE (Cain @ Jun 19 2006, 05:52 PM)
What might afftect the Fanpro license is that Wizkids has now contracted with Great White Games/Pinnacle to produce a RPG version of Pirates and Battletech.  Since Wizkids also owns the rights to Battletech, which is licensed to Fanpro, this makes things look bad for a rerelease of Mechwarrior.  Pinnacle produces the spectacularily popular Savage Worlds game system, and the upcoming Pirates RPG will be running with that system.  If they do exceptionally well, Fanpro's continued holding of the Shadowrun license could be jeopardized, and then we'd see an official Savage Shadowrun version on the market.

No worries there, at last notice Wizkids was apparently pleased with Shadowrun's results and FanPro's license... but then again knowing the whole story behind Pinnacle's Mechwarrior, the Dark Ages license (and knowing that an RPG isn't currently on the docket, but rather scenario packs for Wizkid's clicky collectible miniatures game) would have put things in perspective anyway.
Rock
Why is Pinnicle getting a licence for a BattleTech PRG when FanPro already makes the Classic BattleTech PRG?
James McMurray
What's a PRG?
Rock
A typo for RPG.
James McMurray
Ah, I thought so, but since it happened twice I wasn't sure.

In that case the answer is "so Cain can dance a jig until he finds out they're not using the Savage World rules." wink.gif
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (James McMurray)
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Jun 19 2006, 03:25 PM)

Better than Nuclear War (the card game, not the actual thing wink.gif )?

I should qualify: beer-and-pretzels role-playing game. Few things can compare to Nuclear War (the card game or the real thing).

~J
JM Hardy
Quick update on SR novels--Roc apparently is not interested in publishing more, so with their disinterest and the loss of WizKids' editor, the prospect for future novels (beyond the two more scheduled to come out) is not good.

Jason H.
JongWK
QUOTE (stevenrockwell)
Why is Pinnicle getting a licence for a BattleTech PRG when FanPro already makes the Classic BattleTech PRG?

Different lines, I guess. MW Dark Ages isn't the same as Classic BT.
Adam
QUOTE (stevenrockwell)

They haven't and aren't. They're doing scenario packs for the MechWarrior: Dark Ages game.
Cain

Spectacularly popular in the sense that I've never seen it mentioned anywhere

Spectaculiarily popular in that it won the 2003 Origins Gamer's Choice award. Just some perspective. cool.gif

seems to me that the only "special" thing about that system is that there are only 2-3 conditions for a combatant. and what keeps the characters standing is some kind of "edge" that allow them for some time to avoid getting those conditions if needed.

Having played it enough times, I can tell you that it's as loaded with tactical options as any edition of Shadowrun, and runs substantially faster than anything else on the market. Surprisingly enough, it's neither "rules lite" nor "beer and pretzels" quality; after being introduced to Wushu, I'd have to give that the prize.

Different lines, I guess. MW Dark Ages isn't the same as Classic BT.

AFAIK, this is correct. Mechwarrior is the RPG, and Classic BT is the miniature game. It's worth repeating that the different rights for the same IP can be held by different people: Wizkids has the Shadowrun miniature and novel rights, while Fanpro has the RPG, and FASA Interactive/Microsoft has the rights to the video game. I have no idea who holds the movie rights.
Adam
MechWarrior was the name of the [FASA-published] RPG before WizKids released the MechWarrior: Dark Ages clix game, and for branding issues FanPro renamed the MechWarrior RPG into the Classic BattleTech RPG, which will still be part of the big CBT re-launch coming in 2006/2007.
Brahm
QUOTE (Cain @ Jun 20 2006, 02:43 AM)

Spectacularly popular in the sense that I've never seen it mentioned anywhere

Spectaculiarily popular in that it won the 2003 Origins Gamer's Choice award. Just some perspective. cool.gif

With a side of perspective: Not only was that a couple of years ago, but those awards are voted upon by workers in the gaming industry, not actual people. wink.gif So trying to connect that with doing "exceptionally well", by which I assume you mean sales to the general public, is rather dubious.

EDIT Well that isn't entirely accurate. The Gamer's Choice section of the awards are nominated by said non-people, and then voted on based off of email address. Which is to say voted on by internet, by people that know about the voting. So, um, yeah. It is one step closer to reality, and two steps sideways.

Of course I don't know what their sales are of Savage World based RPGs. I don't even know personally if the game system is any good or particularly suited to Shadowrun. Never played it. I just know that I haven't seen people requesting Savage World players/groups on the local FLGS cork bulletin board, nor have I seen game times for it on their public calendar whiteboard. Not even Deadlands, oddly enough. So I'm inclined to call spectacular hyperbole on your assessment of it's popularity. grinbig.gif
James McMurray
Spectaculiarily popular in that it won the 2003 Origins Gamer's Choice award. Just some perspective.

You mean like World of Darkness in 2004 (despite it being on the decline).

Or Angel winning best Roleplaying game 2003, despite the fact that the game barely exists anymore, and is in fact almost 100% dead?

Or Lord of the Rings with best roleplaying game in 2002, despite the fact that the game is now defunct?

An award from 2 years ago doesn't mean squat now. Just some perspective...
Brahm
QUOTE (James McMurray)
An award from 3 years ago doesn't mean squat now. Just some perspective...

Actually 2 years ago, because they are numbered for the year before they are awarded. The ones that will be awarded shortly are the "2005" awards. But pretty much.
James McMurray
Edited. It just makes the angel reference even more appropriate, since it won the same year as SW. smile.gif
James McMurray
I just read a few reviews and I'm not sure that I could talk anyone I know into playing a game where your skill at boxing is always the same as your skill with Iron Fan, Kung Fu, Fencing, and any other melee weapon or weaponless form. Or your skill in shooting a holdout pistol is always the same as your skill with a rocket launcher, blowgun, slingshot, and starfighter nose mounted ion cannon.
Kagetenshi
Indeed. It's a solid game for what it is, but I have no idea what Cain is talking about when he says it isn't "rules lite".

~J
Brahm
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Indeed. It's a solid game for what it is, but I have no idea what Cain is talking about when he says it isn't "rules lite".
Cain
Or Angel winning best Roleplaying game 2003, despite the fact that the game barely exists anymore, and is in fact almost 100% dead?

Correction: Angel was a supplement for Eden Studio's Cinematic Unisystem line, and that's still going strong. You're not comparing a game line, you're comparing one specific splatbook.

I just read a few reviews and I'm not sure that I could talk anyone I know into playing a game where your skill at boxing is always the same as your skill with Iron Fan, Kung Fu, Fencing, and any other melee weapon or weaponless form.

I thought I'd have that same problem, but then I tried it. In actuality, this doesn't happen a whole hell of a lot, because no character ever carries an iron fan, rapier, broadsword, halberd, brass knuckles, and tactical baton all at the same time. Players tend to stick with their one or two favorite weapons. What the rules do help with is Jackie Chan-style wild action, where you're grabbing anything you can find. The abstraction in weaponless combat isn't any worse than any system that only has a generic "unarmed combat" skill in the base book; you need to look up Deadlands:Reloaded for advanced martial arts styles.
It's a solid game for what it is, but I have no idea what Cain is talking about when he says it isn't "rules lite".

Savage Worlds is lighter than any version of Shadowrun, but in comparison to the systems that are advertised as "Rules Lite", it definitely falls on the mid-to-high crunch side. For example, Capes and Wushu are extremely low crunch. Capes doesn't even have character creation as we understand it, and Wushu's entire core rulebook is about 14 pages long. Everway, one of my favorite games that no one has ever heard of, is also light enough to make Savage Worlds look like it's super-crunchy.

Shadowrun itself is somewhat less crunchy than systems like HERO or GURPS, but it's definitely more crunchy than WoD, Cinematic Uni, TriStat, or so on. Basically, Shadowrun tends to fall on the high-crunch side of things, Savage Worlds I'd classify as mid-crunch, and Wushu as low-crunch. Savage Worlds might be light in relation to Shadowrun, but so are most games out there; this doesn't make Savage Worlds rules-light.
James McMurray
Correction: Angel was a supplement for Eden Studio's Cinematic Unisystem line, and that's still going strong. You're not comparing a game line, you're comparing one specific splatbook.

No, I'm comparing "best RPG" to "best RPG." Angel won "Best RPG." It did not win "Best splatbook." As the "best RPG" of 2003, it is, by your reckoning, spectacularly popular. This despite the fact that it is all but dead.

The abstraction in weaponless combat isn't any worse than any system that only has a generic "unarmed combat" skill in the base book; you need to look up Deadlands:Reloaded for advanced martial arts styles.

Ummm, yeah it is. "Unarmed combat" is much more focused than "fighting." Every character on a savage worlds planet is Jackie Chan to some extent. That doesn't sit well with me. Obviously YMMV, but I'd house rule the hell out of it, because it's a huge flaw in a system IMO.
Adam
Angel was certainly a core book, not a supplement; it had all the Unisystem rules necessary to play the game, just like the Buffy RPG did, just like Conspiracy X does, just like All Flesh Must be Eaten does.
Demonseed Elite
QUOTE (JM Hardy)
Quick update on SR novels--Roc apparently is not interested in publishing more, so with their disinterest and the loss of WizKids' editor, the prospect for future novels (beyond the two more scheduled to come out) is not good.

Man, that's too bad. frown.gif
Rock
Is there a list of the Shadowrun novels that have been published since WizKids/FanPro took over the game from FASA?
Cain
Ummm, yeah it is. "Unarmed combat" is much more focused than "fighting." Every character on a savage worlds planet is Jackie Chan to some extent. That doesn't sit well with me. Obviously YMMV, but I'd house rule the hell out of it, because it's a huge flaw in a system IMO.

It never really comes up, since no one switches out from broadswords to rapiers to halberds throughout the course of one combat. The best way of thinking about it is this: there's no silly non-proficiency penalty. You can buy Edges to represent your specialization with particular weapons, but you don't have to track different penalites for using different weapons.
Angel was certainly a core book, not a supplement; it had all the Unisystem rules necessary to play the game, just like the Buffy RPG did, just like Conspiracy X does, just like All Flesh Must be Eaten does.

That's their business model. They put out each setting as a "separate RPG", even though they all follow the same rules. Really, you could combine Buffy and Angel into one RPG without effort. It would be the same thing if SJGames put out a full set of the GURPS rules with each supplement. I think several of the GoO games are also like this: they're still the same Tri-Stat RPG, even though they run under different settings.

Is there a list of the Shadowrun novels that have been published since WizKids/FanPro took over the game from FASA?

IIRC, it's only the three by Kenson. Born to Run, Posion Agendas, and Fallen Angels.
James McMurray
The best way of thinking about it is this: there's no silly non-proficiency penalty.

Having difficulty using a weapon I've never seen before doesn't sound silly to me.

That's their business model. They put out each setting as a "separate RPG", even though they all follow the same rules. Really, you could combine Buffy and Angel into one RPG without effort. It would be the same thing if SJGames put out a full set of the GURPS rules with each supplement. I think several of the GoO games are also like this: they're still the same Tri-Stat RPG, even though they run under different settings.

Doesn't change the fact that it won best RPG and is not spectacularly popular. Keep trying. smile.gif
Cain
Having difficulty using a weapon I've never seen before doesn't sound silly to me.

Not "never seen before". It's more like assuming that you've had a generalized training, instead of a specific one. Sure, the zweihander guy probably doesn't know how to use a set of nunchucks; but since typical fantasy settings wouldn't include both zweihanders and nunchucks, it's not an issue. You just say that "These are the common weapons in this setting, and anyone with basic training is familiar with all of them."

I've never actually seen a real sniper rifle before, but that doesn't mean that I'd be any more incompetent with it than I would be with the rifles I have seen. I've also picked up quite a few hand weapons over the years, and they're not that difficult to get the basics for. I can't see rationally penalizing someone for using a shinai when they can handle a katana, even though most systems would classify a shinai as a club and a katana as a sword. Similarily, once you've learned to handle one polearm, you can pretty much handle everything else in it's class: there's not much difference between a glaive, a halberd, and a lochaber, they're all chopping polearms. A naginata, spear, and pike are all primarily poking-style polearms, and the differences won't slow you down noticeably.

Savage Worlds handles this as an abstraction. It makes things much easier. You then bring the realism in by simply restricting the weapons availiable. That way, the polearm guy isn't equally skilled with a lightsaber, since the lightsaber doesn't exist. It also becomes much easier to make a combat generalist, which both discourages hyperspecialization while still allowing specialties and tons of character flexibility.
Doesn't change the fact that it won best RPG and is not spectacularly popular.

It also didn't win a popularity award, it won a critical choice award. It's entirely possible (and commonplace) for something to win critical acclaim, yet not be popular in the slightest. Just look at the reviews for most fine-art movies. Savage Worlds won a Gamer's Choice award. IIRC, so did the Shadowrun Supplemental; I remember voting for Adam that particular year. So, the Origins Gamer's Choice awards are strictly based on popularity among gamers. You're not realistically suggesting that Adam's work is substandard, "all but dead", or otherwise unpopular? He puts out some of the best fan-based Shadowrun material in existence!
Glorian
QUOTE (Cain)

IIRC, it's only the three by Kenson. Born to Run, Posion Agendas, and Fallen Angels.

There's also Drops of Corruption by JM Hardy.
Kagetenshi
The problem is that you do run into weapons you've never used before. I recently finished a game of Tour of Darkness (Unknown Armies, using the Savage Worlds rules) in which our characters had been given basic military training—M16, M1911, grenade, self-defense. We didn't have any grenadiers amongst the PCs.

My character picked up a rocket launcher and a grenade launcher over the course of the game, and was mysteriously able to use them at a high level of proficiency. Likewise, another PC picked up a sword and suddenly *poof* their basic unarmed-and-survival-knife training swells to include swords.

~J
Cain
You'll have to refresh my memory, but IIRC Tour of Darkness tends to have you playing specops in Vietnam, the precursors of the modern-day Green Berets. They'd be familiarized with all common weapons, which would include RPG launchers. Standard grenade launchers have been a part of basic training since their introduction in WW2; theres an entertaining tale about them in Neal Stephenson's book Cryptonomicon.

As for swords, there's surprisingly little difference between a long knife and a short sword. What's more, no one has "never seen a sword before", and most people can bring themselves up to a decent degree of proficiency with one in short order. My experience from watching total SCA newbies pick up a sword for the first time in their lives indicates that they'll develop skill equal to their previous weapon training within less than ten nimutes, and sometimes it's nearly-instant.

In any event, it makes no sense that someone would be trained in only one weapon, and would be incompetent in every other one. Someone trained in fencing can pick up any one of a number of one-handed blades, and do just fine. After messing around with a lot of LARPs, I find that applying nonproficency limits are just adding unnecessary bookkeeping. You're better off rewarding a specialization, which SW does semisolidly through the use of the "Trademark Weapon" edge. You can also use the Advanced Martial Arts rules from Deadlands: Reloaded if you want some more specifics in that area.
Kagetenshi
Tour of Darkness has you playing soldiers in Vietnam. Specops are certainly in the range of possibility, but we happened to be two fresh draftees and an enlistee who'd made it as far as PFC.

~J
mfb
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
I recently finished a game of Tour of Darkness (Unknown Armies, using the Savage Worlds rules) in which our characters had been given basic military training—M16, M1911, grenade, self-defense. We didn't have any grenadiers amongst the PCs.

basic military training includes, at least nowadays, introductory courses to grenades, grenade launchers, anti-tank weapons, and machine guns. i would be surprised if the same were not true in the 60s and 70s.

as for learning them at a high level of proficiency... honestly, a lot of that stuff is so dead simple that there's simply not much higher you can go than 'proficient'. it doesn't take much practice to become an artist with a grenade launcher, especially if you've already got a basic proficiency with other firearms.
Cain
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Tour of Darkness has you playing soldiers in Vietnam. Specops are certainly in the range of possibility, but we happened to be two fresh draftees and an enlistee who'd made it as far as PFC.

After doing a quick bit of research, apparently basic bazooka training was part of standard Army basic as early as the 50's. As I said, basic grenade launchers were taught in WW2. So, being proficient in the use of either is to be expected in a soldier of that era.

Also, I don't own the book, but I seem to recall that the backflap makes a big deal about the "Phoenix Program", some sort of super-secret specops deal. I was under the impression that this was a big part of the plot point campaign. But since I haven't played it, would you be willing to explain?
Crusher Bob
Phoenix Program Wiki
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012