Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wizkids having Problems?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Cain)
Also, I don't own the book, but I seem to recall that the backflap makes a big deal about the "Phoenix Program", some sort of super-secret specops deal. I was under the impression that this was a big part of the plot point campaign. But since I haven't played it, would you be willing to explain?

The book provides two distinct things. One is a setting, which is Vietnam during the Vietnam War with supernatural elements. The other is a campaign (several of them, actually). I haven't read the campaign, so I don't know how much it was altered when my GM ran it and we started as new recruits (who eventually, towards the end of the campaign, were indeed inducted into the Phoenix Program once they were no longer new recruits), but the setting does not assume everyone to be special forces. Indeed, the path to doing so is, using standard chargen, extremely restrictive (and for several branches outright impossible).

~J
James McMurray
You just say that "These are the common weapons in this setting, and anyone with basic training is familiar with all of them."

That's all fine and dandy, but it's unrealistic and hence I don't like it. You're free to like it, but you won't convince me that one skill for every weapon known to man is a good thing.

Similarily, once you've learned to handle one polearm, you can pretty much handle everything else in it's class: there's not much difference between a glaive, a halberd, and a lochaber, they're all chopping polearms.

That may or may not be true, but it isn't what's being discussed. The simplification of everything down to a fighting skill means that once someone has tought you how to box, you're also capable of using jiujitsu, swords, and ladders at the same level of expertise.

That way, the polearm guy isn't equally skilled with a lightsaber, since the lightsaber doesn't exist.

Except that in some settings they will both exist. Simplification is not necessarily a bad thing, but it can be taken too far. IMO Savage Worlds takes it too far.

It also didn't win a popularity award, it won a critical choice award.

If popularity is a valid measure of a game's "goodness" then d20 is the greatest system ever developed in the history of RPGs. Why are you playing that lame Savage Worlds when the clear choice for exceptional rules is plainly d20?

WoD also won a popularity contest in 2004. Does that mean it's a great system and spectacularly popular now?

You're not realistically suggesting that Adam's work is substandard, "all but dead", or otherwise unpopular?

Obviously not. I'm stating that some things that which win popularity contests aren't necessarily good, useful, or of high quality. I'm not stating that everything that wins a popularity contest is automatically crap. I've never even implied that, but you're a big fan of arguing points that weren't made, so it's cool. I'll happily keep correcting you. smile.gif

In any event, it makes no sense that someone would be trained in only one weapon, and would be incompetent in every other one.

That may be true, but the exact opposite (training in one weapon = training in all weapons) is equally nonsensical.

a lot of that stuff is so dead simple that there's simply not much higher you can go than 'proficient'.

What about a soldier in vietnam who sees an alien spacecraft crash land, goes on board, finds an alien rocket launcher, and suddenly knows everything about using the weapon because it falls under the shooting skill.
Platinum
it would fall under his skill if he had alien gunnery. cool.gif
James McMurray
From what I can see there is no alien gunnery, or even human gunnery. Anything that involves a ranged attack and isn't a thrown weapon is done using the Shooting skill.

To expand on the example, as I wasn't clear about what I'm envisioning: this alien culture is one that tries to avoid violence whenever possible. As such it makes all of its military weapons incredibly difficult to use because it wants to ensure that anyone using the weapon has gone through the proper training (which includes mind control procedures that prevent the trainee from using the weapon without orders). Somehow this person who has never even seen a scifi movie or read a scifi book is magically capable of shooting this weapon just as well as he can shoot the rifle he's grown up with as a kid.

To avoid any hassles that might a=occur trying to argue about alien technology, here's another example:

Captain Jack, lifelong archeologist and Indiana Jones fan has practiced with firearms for decades. On his most recent excursion into the South American jungles in search of the Lost Nutsack of Tutenkamen he is ambushed by a tribe of pygmies firing at him with blowguns and bows from the treetops. He manages to drop 6 of them but then his trusty revolver is out of ammunition. Unable to reach them he needs a ranged weapon and he needs it fast!

Aha! One of the fallen pygmies had a blowgun! He races over, snatches it up, and uses his extensive training in pistols and rifles to unerringly hit 5 more pygmies before running out of darts. Luckily one of the newly dead midgets of mayhem has dropped a bow. Racing over, he once again uses his incredible knowledge of firearms to unerringly fire the bow, finishing off the pygmies with narry a scratch to himself.

Here we have a character with really good shooting and no specializations. He's trained only in pistols and rifles, because he didn't even know blowguns existed and had never seen a bow outside of a museum. But, because of his training with guns he is able to snatch up and instantly master both blowguns and bows.

This to you is a good system?
Platinum
QUOTE (James McMurray)
From what I can see there is no alien gunnery, or even human gunnery. Anything that involves a ranged attack and isn't a thrown weapon is done using the Shooting skill.

To expand on the example, as I wasn't clear about what I'm envisioning: this alien culture is one that tries to avoid violence whenever possible. As such it makes all of its military weapons incredibly difficult to use because it wants to ensure that anyone using the weapon has gone through the proper training (which includes mind control procedures that prevent the trainee from using the weapon without orders). Somehow this person who has never even seen a scifi movie or read a scifi book is magically capable of shooting this weapon just as well as he can shoot the rifle he's grown up with as a kid.

To avoid any hassles that might a=occur trying to argue about alien technology, here's another example:

Captain Jack, lifelong archeologist and Indiana Jones fan has practiced with firearms for decades. On his most recent excursion into the South American jungles in search of the Lost Nutsack of Tutenkamen he is ambushed by a tribe of pygmies firing at him with blowguns and bows from the treetops. He manages to drop 6 of them but then his trusty revolver is out of ammunition. Unable to reach them he needs a ranged weapon and he needs it fast!

Aha! One of the fallen pygmies had a blowgun! He races over, snatches it up, and uses his extensive training in pistols and rifles to unerringly hit 5 more pygmies before running out of darts. Luckily one of the newly dead midgets of mayhem has dropped a bow. Racing over, he once again uses his incredible knowledge of firearms to unerringly fire the bow, finishing off the pygmies with narry a scratch to himself.

Here we have a character with really good shooting and no specializations. He's trained only in pistols and rifles, because he didn't even know blowguns existed and had never seen a bow outside of a museum. But, because of his training with guns he is able to snatch up and instantly master both blowguns and bows.

This to you is a good system?

I think this disserves its own thread, but I envision clusters of weapons that behave similarly. Shooting a bazooka, seems quite a bit different than shooting a pistol, or using a blow dart or a bow. There are subtleties with each that give each weapon a unique characteristic. All of them have "aiming" in common.

The good Dr can master the blowgun because of his firearms skill, but has a modifier because moving through the skill web. Some shooting skills are quite dissimilar and thus have the extra bump on them. Part of the reason that I stuck with SR2 was the firearms/melee skills. It encompasses so much. Now using a pistol is different from a rifle, but as you outlined not very much. There are differences between a knife and a sword, but if you are an expert with one, you will have a good idea of how to use something similar. Besides you learn so many tactics with fighting.
James McMurray
I agree. It's one reason I'll probably never play a non-House ruled version of Savage Worlds.
Cain
First of all, Captain Jack, being an archaeologist of the first order, is probably already familiar with blowguns. He's at least not totally unskilled with them. I'm not an archaeologist, and I've fired a blowgun once or twice, and a bow a lot more than that. It's impossible that any trained archeologist wouldn't be at least passingly familiar with them.

Second, he's probably got a Trademark Weapon edge, or similar edges relating to his use of revolvers. So, when he picks up that blowgun, he's suddenly not able to use all these nifty edges and abilities he's picked up. Mechanically speaking, he's not as good with a blowgun as he is with his pistol. Instead of a punitive system, where players are penalized for using unfamiliar weapons, Savage Worlds tends towards a "carrot" system, where players are rewarded for staying withing their concept.

I know you've expressed an interest in punitive play styles before, so YMMV. However, I've discovered that the reward system is generally a lot more fun that applying penalties left and right whenever a player gets out of line.

As for your alien culture example, you simply say that it requires a Mad Science roll to use, as opposed to a standard Shooting roll. In the case of really foreign objects, you can require an appropriate Knowledge skill to recognize it as a weapon in the first place. You're also free to use the Improvised Weapon rules for certain things not quite designed to be a weapon.
James McMurray
So you're saying that I have to put a familiarity with blowguns into my character history if I want to play Captain Jack, someone who I would prefer to have never had see a blowgun? I am also not allowed to represent study in all manner of firearms with just the shooting skill but must spend several trademark weapon edges on each particular one? Man, now I know I don't want to play this game.

What if Captain Jack were instead captain of the marksmanship team and not an archaeologist. Does he still automatically know all about blowguns and bows, despite having never seen one even inside a museum? LOL

"Carrot system?" There's no reward for someone who has studied all manner of firearms to stay within firearms. In fact, it's exactly the same when he shoots a pistol as when he shoots a blowgun or bow. That's neither carrot nor stick, it's just plain silly.
Frag-o Delux
Just because I like to add nothing to a debate that isnt going anywhere.

First the green beret was around before Viet Nam, but became official in 1961 because of JFK. The special forces in Viet Nam were Green Berets, but not officailly named that till 1961. Saying precursors and modern day is a bit silly. Not much has changed in their training or their whole esprit de corp. Of course weapons and equipment will change so that training will be changed or added. But ultimately the special forces before 61 are the special forces of today.

And to give you a counter point to your Noobie SCA players becoming master swords men 10 minutes after putting down the butter knife (because they are similar weapons).

I was in a combat group and one guy in our group had a foriegn exchange student who was an award winning fencer from france. As a fencer he thoroghly destroyed me. Though I was catching on. We changed to broadswords and not rapiers. Guess what, I destroyed him as that was my weapon of choice. But not only did I beat him thoroughly but continued to do so for hours. He tried fighting other people in our group with broadswords. He couldnt beat even our newest recruit (several weeks of practice). He just couldnt grasp the ability to use the broadsword. And I find that more common then not, I see people struggling with one weapon then getting almost completely flustered when trying to move to a new weapon.
James McMurray
In Savage Worlds (at least the test drive rules) he'd just be one die lower when using a radically different weapon. If he never spent the points on specializing in fencing he'd have the exact same skill.

I'm not saying Savage Worlds is a horrible system. I've got no experience beyond reading far enough into the test drive rules to realize I don't like the way something as basic as combat is oversimplified. But I will say that it is indeed overly simplified and that if it's greatness is demonstrated in it's popularity then it is barely a pale shadow to the awe inspiring uberness that is the wildly popular d20 system.
Platinum
QUOTE (Frag-o Delux)
Just because I like to add nothing to a debate that isnt going anywhere.

And to give you a counter point to your Noobie SCA players becoming master swords men 10 minutes after putting down the butter knife (because they are similar weapons).

I was in a combat group and one guy in our group had a foriegn exchange student who was an award winning fencer from france. As a fencer he thoroghly destroyed me. Though I was catching on. We changed to broadswords and not rapiers. Guess what, I destroyed him as that was my weapon of choice. But not only did I beat him thoroughly but continued to do so for hours. He tried fighting other people in our group with broadswords. He couldnt beat even our newest recruit (several weeks of practice). He just couldnt grasp the ability to use the broadsword. And I find that more common then not, I see people struggling with one weapon then getting almost completely flustered when trying to move to a new weapon.

So you have an edged weapons skill of 5, and he has a specialization in foil of 8. his edged weapon skill might be 2 ... for everything not foil, or an incometance.

What's the big deal? Just because 1 person was so specilized that he could not switch strategies doesn't mean everyone is a boob Maybe he didn't have the strenght to weild it properly.

I will give another example.

badminton and squash. two raquet sports, with some cross over. but the swings are different and the strategy is a little differnt as well. Each player specialized will destroy the other in their sports, but both will in general destroy the average player because of their control and various strategies that will still apply.
mfb
QUOTE (James McMurray)
That's all fine and dandy, but it's unrealistic and hence I don't like it. You're free to like it, but you won't convince me that one skill for every weapon known to man is a good thing.

actually, that's not really true. i'm not going to say that the way SW handles weapon proficiency is super-realistic, but it's as realistic as, say SR (3 or 4). it simply emphasizes different aspects of reality.
James McMurray
Platinum, you're absolutely right. But the discussion is about Savage Worlds. Savage Worlds has no "Edged Weapons." It has "fighting." If you have a skill of 8 with a foil it's because you have a skill of at least 6 in every melee weapon known to man, and possibly every melee weapon not known to man. If you don't have "Trademark Weapon (Foil)" then your skill with a foil is exactly identical to your skill with a broadsword, club, nunchuku, kung-fu, Muy Thai, Tai Bo, Jiujitsu, and kusari-gama.
James McMurray
QUOTE (mfb)
QUOTE (James McMurray)

actually, that's not really true. i'm not going to say that the way SW handles weapon proficiency is super-realistic, but it's as realistic as, say SR (3 or 4). it simply emphasizes different aspects of reality.

Lumping every melee attack under the same skill is incredibly unrealistic. I'm not saying that SR3 or SR4 are hyper-realistic, but they are more realistic in that they seperate weapon skills into similar weapon groups.

If you feel that having the same level of knowledge about all combat types simultaneously emphasizes an aspect of reality, then you may want to do a little research. Or perhaps you're just not explaining yourself well or I'm not comprehending well.

A game's realism level is often tied directly to it's complexity. The more realism in the rules desired the more complexity required. Savage Worlds, from what I have seen, is an incredibly simple game. This isn't a bad thing, but it does mean that realism suffers in comparison to most other games with a higher complexity level. Savage Worlds (simple) is less realistic than Shadowrun (moderately complex), which is less realistic then Rolemaster (complex), which is one of the more realistic games I've played but is certainly not a mirror of reality. I'm sure there are systems wout there that are both more realistic and complex than Rolemaster.
mfb
QUOTE (James McMurray)
If you don't have "Trademark Weapon (Foil)" then your skill with a foil is exactly identical to your skill with a broadsword, club, nunchuku, kung-fu, Muy Thai, Tai Bo, Jiujitsu, and kusari-gama.

that's only partially correct. having a fightin' skill of 6 does not give you 6 points in every fighting style known to man. you don't know kung-fu unless you pick kung-fu as opposed to, say, muy thai.

QUOTE (James McMurray)
Lumping every melee attack under the same skill is incredibly unrealistic.

the reason you feel that way is that you're viewing melee skills the way SR treats them--as distinct sets which cannot be combined. SW takes the approach that if you know fightin' 6, you have a 6 skill in hurting things, no matter what you've got in your hands. which, like i said, is not unrealistic. if you know how to hurt things, you know how to hurt things. you're not going to turn into Bruce Lee if you find yourself wielding a pair of nunchaku; you won't be able to, say, knock a cigarette out of someone's mouth without hitting them. you'll be able to swing the numbchucks at someone's head, though, and have a reasonable chance of denting that head.
James McMurray
that's only partially correct. having a fightin' skill of 6 does not give you 6 points in every fighting style known to man. you don't know kung-fu unless you pick kung-fu as opposed to, say, muy thai.

I don't have anything but the fast start rules, but those combined with Cain's supplied info leads me to believe you're wrong. No matter what you attack someone with in melee combat you use fighting. If you opt to kick someone, despite having been trained as a boxer, then you have exactly the same chance of doing the same damage as a punch. If you elect to use the whip you stole from Indiana Jones your odds of hitting are exactly the same as with a roundhouse punch.

your problem is that you're viewing melee skills the way SR treats them--as distinct entities which cannot be combined. SW takes the approach that if you know fightin' 6, you have a 6 skill in hurting things, no matter what you've got in your hands. which, like i said, is not unrealistic. if you know how to hurt things, you know how to hurt things. you're not going to turn into Bruce Lee if you find yourself wielding a pair of nunchaku; you won't be able to, say, knock a cigarette out of someone's mouth without hitting them. you'll be able to swing the numbchucks at someone's head, though, and have a reasonable chance of denting that head.

See above. Skill in "hurting things" is not realistic, as least not if you allow that skill to apply to every possible method of dealing pain and/or damage. See the above example of a fencer with a broadsword. See the example of a boxer with a whip. See the example of a firearms guy and a blowgun.

These things do not have similar techniques for using them. Your skill in hurting people with them will almost never be identical unless you've taken the time to train in all of them concurrently.

You are of course free to have the opinion that it's realistic. In my opinion you're wrong, but I prefer a finer granularity on things, and a bit more realistic (IMO) definition of skillsets.
mfb
QUOTE (James McMurray)
Your skill in hurting people with them will almost never be identical unless you've taken the time to train in all of them concurrently.

agreed. that, right there, is what SW chooses to ignore. SR, as a counterpoint, chooses to ignore the fact that if you know how to hurt someone with your hands, you've got a much, much better chance of hurting someone with a knife than does a person who doesn't know how to hurt somone with their hands.

knowing how to fight with any weapon is as much about know where to strike, how to hold your body, and the simple raw experience of knowing how to take a hit and keep going as it does with the specifics of how to strike--eg, specific weapon techniques. there's a whole body of knowledge involved in fighting that applies no matter what implement you're using. SW chooses to exaggerate this fact; SR, and other systems, chooses to understate it.

the realistic approach is, unfortunately, incredibly complex--so much so that i'd say you're better off just falling to one side or the other. but neither side is more realistic than the other.
James McMurray
Which is why I said I'd probably never play a non-house ruled version of Savage Worlds. I feel that SR's choice is more realistic than SW's choice.

I hate the idea of someone being equally skilled with every weapon on the planet. For some folks that idea is palatable. That's cool. I don't demand that everyone agree with me all the time. smile.gif
mfb
i do. SUBMIT!
James McMurray
You can take away our keyboards, but you'll ne'er take our FREEDOM!
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (mfb)
agreed. that, right there, is what SW chooses to ignore. SR, as a counterpoint, chooses to ignore the fact that if you know how to hurt someone with your hands, you've got a much, much better chance of hurting someone with a knife than does a person who doesn't know how to hurt somone with their hands.

Unarmed combat does not, indeed, default to Edged Weapons. Clubs, Polearms, and (of all things) Chainsaw do.

Hm. This started as an argument that SR3's treatment is still more realistic, but I guess that's a hard sell…

~J
Brahm
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Jun 22 2006, 10:10 AM)
Hm. This started as an argument that SR3's treatment is still more realistic, but I guess that's a hard sell…

It has more detail, figity bits as it were, which is indeed widely errantly mistaken for Realism™. cool.gif
mfb
what i really hate about the way SR3 handles things is the fact that a badass master of, say, jiujitsu turns into a stumbling moron the moment he tries to use something from the muy thai class he attended last week. that, more than anything, is why i say SW's treatment is just as realistic as SR's. SR4 has at least ameliorated this somewhat, by combining large groups of skills.
Brahm
QUOTE (mfb @ Jun 22 2006, 10:17 AM)
what i really hate about the way SR3 handles things is the fact that a badass master of, say, jiujitsu turns into a stumbling moron the moment he tries to use something from the muy thai class he attended last week. that, more than anything, is why i say SW's treatment is just as realistic as SR's. SR4 has at least ameliorated this somewhat, by combining large groups of skills.

Having dice pools composed of Attribute+Skill also helps with that. Since related Skills typcially have the same Attributes that Attribute works sort of like a basic general ability that tasks of various related Skills sit on top of. SR3 had it somewhat indirecting in that there was a potential for the Skill to be learned easier. But until you attempted to learn the Skill you didn't get the benefit of the lower karma cost.
Platinum
SR2 handled it the best... Armed combat for if you have a weapon, unarmed if you don't, and firearms to shoot, gunnery to launch. simplistic and balanced. You didn't have to worry about all of your players taking mystic ninjitsu and having 25 fighting styles and all that jazz. Everyone had 1 fighting style .."unarmed combat" if your dojo fights with weapons, then heck ... take armed combat on top... no 1 style does all.. / bs matchup styles garbage. Simple clean.

You do not have to worry about someone who uses a pistol not knowing a thing about a rifle.
James McMurray
But you also end up with something similar to savage worlds but not as extreme: someone trained in a few weapons knowing how to use them all.
Platinum
that is true..... but you could also "encourage" or house rule it that they have to either concentrate or specialize. Then you have someone that is good at one thing, and can handle the others. much better than having you skilled at only 1 thing and incompetant in everything else.
James McMurray
True. Which is why I'll probably never play a non-house ruled version of Savage Worlds. wink.gif
PBTHHHHT
That's great, go do that, who the eff cares? The world gonna explode or something? Oh wait, I'm gonna go play it non-house ruled. *gasp*

Sorry, being snarky because gawd, you guys are going back and forth and back and forth and...
James McMurray
So then ignore us. smile.gif
PBTHHHHT
More or less I do, I'm trying to find the relevant stuff in the thread that's on topic. But it's getting a bit like mush at times. Ah well, on par with dumpshock.

edit: hell, I'm not even gonna touch the knife amnesty thread and I'm the one that started it. silly.gif
James McMurray
I don't think anything's been on topic for 2 1/2 pages. smile.gif
nezumi
I'm just glad Cain and James (whichever one it is there) decided to break the TN thread in the SR4 forum instead of my thread.
James McMurray
You'll never find a thread where I bring up Savage Worlds first. That's Cain's fetish.
Shrike30
I'm a fan of the SR4 approach; players get a choice of whether or not their character is good at a specific aspect of a skillset (pistols, for example) or if he's good at the skillset in general, at a slight discount.

This means it's possible to make a rifle shooter who really can't shoot handguns to save their life, or someone who's just a good shooter all-round.
Eyeless Blond
The blowgun/bow example above would be fairly easy to handle as a situational modifier. I'd just subtract 2 from Cap. Jack's roll, maybe 4 if I was feeling mean, to represent him using a weapon he's unfamiliar with. Heck, even if he were as intimately familiar with blowguns or bows as he was with pistols I'd give him a -1 just for using someone else's weapon without getting used to its balance and such.

(Edit: Removed ssecond paragraph as it wasn't really constructive.)
James McMurray
I'd do something similar, but that would be "applying silly nonproficiency penalties." The other alternative would be to either apply roleplaying penalties (rarely a good idea for the game) or for the character to have to spend build points in order to gimp himself.

It takes 2 build points to gain an edge or 1 build point to increase a skill. Thus the character could either spend 2 points to get a +1 to pistols, or spend 2 points to get a +2 to every single ranged weapon ever invented, or that ever will be invented. That means taking 4 hindrances just to be able to gimp myself by restricting my abilities.

Another problem I just saw is that a lot of the hindrances are roleplaying penalties which aren't actually penalties. For instance, if I wantt o play someone who is loyal, cautious, and curious with a few minor habits and quirks (which have absolutely no game effect) I get a free 9 build points without actually losing anything. Someone else wanting to play a heroic character doesn't get any bonuses.

Can someone with the main book tell me if Novice level is a character with 1-19 experience points like it is in the test drive rules? If so, a starting character has to be trained in every weapon known to man equally because you have to be a Novice to take Trademark Weapon. If you want to be noticably better in the weapon (Improved Trademark Weapon) you have to have 40xp under your belt.

The following assumes that 1d10 is olympic level ability. If it's different, just adjust the numbers accordingly, the point remains unchanged. That improved trademark weapon is only +2 means that someone who has trained exclusively all their lives with a sniper rifle and has reached a supreme level of ability (he's rolling d12+3) will be one of the best on the planet with a bola, blowgun, or sling as well.

Transfer that over to fighting for a guy who has specialized in stand up striking will also be one of the best in the world at wrestling, despite never having grabbed another person with intent to harm. While it's just sport fighting, I've watched quite a few bouts where incredibly good strikers lost in a heartbeat to wrestlers because they had no ground skills. The opposite is also true, where thoe with great ground skills fall flat on their faces if the fight stays on it's feet.

Or what about the guy who has studied beating people with a wet noodle all his life. Stick him in a kung fu tournament and he's quite likely to win, even if the rules specify that any move not found in the style being used for that round will cost you the match. If you feel like arguing the wet noodle reference due to lack of a sense of humor compatible with mine, feel free to replace it with the most outlandish hand weapon you can think of. smile.gif
Eldritch
A little bit more info, to knock this thread back on track wink.gif

Damon White Reports:  From Jordan Weisman:

"Due to changing demands within our industry and within our own company, WizKids is reorganizing to strengthen itself within the marketplace. In doing so, we are making changes at the executive level management of our company, bringing in highly skilled and proven leaders

while allowing the creative side of our company to focus on continued innovation.

I am stepping down as CEO of WizKids. Moving forward, I will continue to work with WizKids in a creative capacity, exploring new product innovations and game development. The goal is to allow me to do what I do best and what I love the most, which is to create great games. Stepping down as CEO is a very difficult decision. But I believe it is best for WizKids, as well as what is best for me.

Lax Chandra will be taking on the role of President at WizKids. Lax was most recently Topps Company’s Director of Business Development for the Entertainment Division and head of the Internet Group. Lax’s mix of strategic vision, passion and discipline combined with his impressive business experience make him a solid choice as WizKids next President. I am confident he will effectively lead WizKids into its next chapter for years to come.

With the strong addition of Lax, WizKids has also hired Joe Hauck as the Executive Vice President of Sales, Marketing and Product Development. Joe brings with him 10 years of game industry experience, most recently as Vice President of Brand Marketing for Wizards of the Coast. Joe is one of the most accomplished marketers in the history of our industry. His experience managing the Magic brand is a testament to steady brand development and extension. Joe will focus on growing WizKids’ market share, forming strategic partnerships, and delivering top-notch products to our industry. I am pleased to welcome him as a valued member of our management team.

WizKids is firmly committed to supporting the Core Hobby Game industry and plans to serve this industry for years to come. The company’s commitment to innovation and excellence has not changed and we look forward to working with all of the folks that make this industry great to help transform the marketplace into a vibrant and exciting one again."

Sincerely
Jordan Weisman
JongWK
A little more info: SEC report.
Grinder
What do you think of this? Does anyone here know the two new dudes?
Demonseed Elite
Can't say I know anything at all about Jordan Weisman's reasons for stepping down, but he is also running another company that he founded. That company is doing quite well, it seems, and taking on at least one new major project. So it might be that he was just having trouble running two companies, which would be pretty understandable.
Cain
Skill in "hurting things" is not realistic, as least not if you allow that skill to apply to every possible method of dealing pain and/or damage.

You're thinking of this in the wrong way. If you have a d4 in Fighting, you're equally incompetent in every fighting style known to man, correct? Getting to a d12 skill is fairly difficult, and would definitely leave a starting character wide open to all sorts of trouble.

Your fighting skill defines your raw ability with melee combat. Having trained in fencing, you're still going to do better picking up a random swordlike weapon than someone who's never touched a sword in his life. SW abstracts this into an average score: you're better with some weapons, worse with others, but on the whole you come out to be about at a certain level. The exact preferences aren't shown mechanically, they're mostly shown through roleplay (e.g., the guy with the Claymore and the guy with the rapier might have the same fighting skill, but won't use the other's weapons.)

If you want to show a particular specialization, you can take a Trademark Weapon edge, or other edges.

Having dice pools composed of Attribute+Skill also helps with that. Since related Skills typcially have the same Attributes that Attribute works sort of like a basic general ability that tasks of various related Skills sit on top of.

This approach, unfortunately, nerfs skills in favor of raw attributes. Under SR4, for example, a completely untrained elf with Quickness 10 is just as skilled as a world-class expert with Quickness 3 and Unarmed Combat 6. SR3 used a weak link system, which showed up in karma cost and in defaulting dice; unfortunately, it also lent itself to some wonky situations. GURPS, d20, and Savage Worlds also have a weak link system. However, there are also systems out there that completely divorce skills from attributes altogether. I don't think that any one is necessarily better than another, but I've noticed that the strongest and most durable systems tend to favor the weak-link structure.
It takes 2 build points to gain an edge or 1 build point to increase a skill. Thus the character could either spend 2 points to get a +1 to pistols, or spend 2 points to get a +2 to every single ranged weapon ever invented, or that ever will be invented.

Incorrect, although you're close. Once your skill equals your attribute, the cost to raise it doubles. Additionally, there are no "build points", there are basically "freebie points" that you can gain by taking Hindrances. So, you've taken a hit elsewhere to improve your skill. Once you begin game and start spending XP, it becomes cheaper to buy the Edge than raise the skill above the linked attribute.
Another problem I just saw is that a lot of the hindrances are roleplaying penalties which aren't actually penalties. For instance, if I wantt o play someone who is loyal, cautious, and curious with a few minor habits and quirks (which have absolutely no game effect) I get a free 9 build points without actually losing anything. Someone else wanting to play a heroic character doesn't get any bonuses.

Unfortunately, you can't get that many points. You can only take one Major and two Minor hindrances, for a total of 4 bonus points. And all those do have game effects, they're just not described in detail in the Test Drive rules. IIRC, you'll be making a lot of Spirit checks to avoid certain actions.
Can someone with the main book tell me if Novice level is a character with 1-19 experience points like it is in the test drive rules? If so, a starting character has to be trained in every weapon known to man equally because you have to be a Novice to take Trademark Weapon.

0-19. You start out as a novice. Admittedly, the test drive could have been clearer on that part.
The following assumes that 1d10 is olympic level ability. If it's different, just adjust the numbers accordingly, the point remains unchanged. That improved trademark weapon is only +2 means that someone who has trained exclusively all their lives with a sniper rifle and has reached a supreme level of ability (he's rolling d12+3) will be one of the best on the planet with a bola, blowgun, or sling as well.

Bear in mind that the TN to hit anything in ranged combat is 4. With a d12+3, you're going to be hitting almost all of the time. That's why the edge is actually better, overall. Also, IIRC, olympic-level is d8.
Or what about the guy who has studied beating people with a wet noodle all his life. Stick him in a kung fu tournament and he's quite likely to win, even if the rules specify that any move not found in the style being used for that round will cost you the match.

Then he'd lose, due to using out-of-style moves. There are advanced rules for martial arts in Deadlands: Reloaded that address this sort of thing much more specifically. Basically, if someone has defined his trapping for Fighting as Mantis-style Kung-Fu, and he's in a noncontact karate tournament, then he's going to be disqualified bor using the wrong martial art. Trappings are a very important part of Savage Worlds, both in the roleplay and in the rules.
James McMurray
The exact preferences aren't shown mechanically, they're mostly shown through roleplay (e.g., the guy with the Claymore and the guy with the rapier might have the same fighting skill, but won't use the other's weapons.)

So there are roleplaying balances to rules problems? I could swear I've seen you complain about that in the past. Interesting...

If you want to show a particular specialization, you can take a Trademark Weapon edge, or other edges.

Yes, I know. My examples included that. Having trademark weapon of hunting knife and a base skill of 8 means I am only 12.5% better with a hunting knife then I am with a spiked chain, whip, and nunchuku, despite never having picked up one of these complicated weapons in my life. If my skill is higher the disparity is greater.

Under SR4, for example, a completely untrained elf with Quickness 10 is just as skilled as a world-class expert with Quickness 3 and Unarmed Combat 6

How'd he get to be world class with such a low stat?

Incorrect, although you're close. Once your skill equals your attribute, the cost to raise it doubles.

Not incorrect at all. You're assuming that I'm bypassing my attribute. What you're basically saying is that the rule works, but only if you have a low attribute.

there are no "build points", there are basically "freebie points"

Cute little game of semantics you've got going for yourself there. How do you tell who wins? smile.gif

Bear in mind that the TN to hit anything in ranged combat is 4. With a d12+3, you're going to be hitting almost all of the time. That's why the edge is actually better, overall. Also, IIRC, olympic-level is d8.

So then someone who is beyond olympic ability with a sniper rifle (he's got d8+2) will have olympic abilities with every single ranged weapon on the planet that isn't thrown? LOL

Then he'd lose, due to using out-of-style moves. There are advanced rules for martial arts in Deadlands: Reloaded that address this sort of thing much more specifically. Basically, if someone has defined his trapping for Fighting as Mantis-style Kung-Fu, and he's in a noncontact karate tournament, then he's going to be disqualified bor using the wrong martial art. Trappings are a very important part of Savage Worlds, both in the roleplay and in the rules.

There's two problems with that setup. First and foremost is that someone has to buy the Deadlands book if they want to make a martial artist.

Second is that either

a) those kung fu guys get to use their fighting skill in a swordsmanship tournament but the boxing guy doesn't get to use his style in a kungfu tournament or

b) fighting skill doesn't apply to fighting because you have to add rules to differentiate between weapons and styles. or

c) all of the above

Any way you slice it the fighting = all melee doesn't work, and it looks like the designers realized it. It sounds to me like they saw a problem and released a patch for it in Deadlands. But wait, releasing patches is a bad thing, right?
James McMurray
Quick followup question re: fighting:

Since it doesn't apply to everything, is it like

a) the Incompetent flaw where you rely on GM Fiat to determine which skills each character can use or

b) the Incompetent flaw where you rely on the players to not abuse it?

edit: or is it like the edge rules, where you rely on GM Fiat to prevent abuse? Or maybe it's like the edge rules, where you rely on player restraint to prevent abuse?

Perspective is everything. smile.gif
mfb
QUOTE (James McMurray)
So there are roleplaying balances to rules problems? I could swear I've seen you complain about that in the past. Interesting...

your issues with the fightin' skill are your problem, not a rules problem. the rules themselves work perfectly well. you act like using a nunchaku or flail is rocket science. it's a bendy stick, which you hit people with. training with your hands, or with a sword, won't school you on the finer details of what you can use that stick to do, but it will certainly give you a basic ability to hurt people with said bendy stick. is this precisely realistic? no. but it is certainly as realistic as any other melee mechanic i've seen.
Kagetenshi
Three-sectional staff.

~J
Cain
So there are roleplaying balances to rules problems?

No. It's a roleplaying game, so it has mechanics for actual roleplay. I know that roleplay is kinda a foreign concept for some, but trust me, it works. cool.gif

Having trademark weapon of hunting knife and a base skill of 8 means I am only 12.5% better with a hunting knife then I am with a spiked chain, whip, and nunchuku, despite never having picked up one of these complicated weapons in my life.

Not true. Since Savage Worlds is a multi-die system, the exact amout of improvement created by a +1 vs a die increase depends on the die used. So, the edge is more beneficial at both low and high levels.
How'd he get to be world class with such a low stat?

Ask the SR4 devs. They're the ones who defined skill 6 as world class, but can still get totally pwned by someone with no training whatsoever.
Not incorrect at all. You're assuming that I'm bypassing my attribute. What you're basically saying is that the rule works, but only if you have a low attribute.

No, you are still incorrect. 1 bonus point != 1 skill raise. What I'm saying is that you need to either read the rules, or check your math.
So then someone who is beyond olympic ability with a sniper rifle (he's got d8+2) will have olympic abilities with every single ranged weapon on the planet that isn't thrown?

His general *firearm* abilities will be that good, yes. However, without the specific edges to boost other ranged weapons, he won't be as good. There are a lot of firearm-specific edges that'd be necessary to get a truly expert sniper.

You obviously haven't trained with many melee weapons or in martial arts, so let me explain. Once you've started to develop skill in any melee art, you can pick up other arts much faster than before. Even if they're based on opposing principles: all fighting arts are based on body mechanics, and there are only so many effective ways to move. The question isn't in which moves are used; it's in how it uses those moves. Being super-skilled in swordsmanship but totally incompetent with a club is not how things happen; in the real world, a person's overall fighting ability tends to fall within a fairly narrow range. Savage Worlds abstracts this into one generic score, rather than nitpicking it into a hundred different difficult-to-track traits.
There's two problems with that setup. First and foremost is that someone has to buy the Deadlands book if they want to make a martial artist.

Like you don't need to buy Cannon Comanion to do the same thing in Shadowrun? Or whatever the advanced combat book is going to be for SR4? Heck, other than dedicated martial-arts RPG's, I can't think of a single game that includes advanced martial-arts rules in the base books. That's not a problem with Savage Worlds, it's a problem with every game on the market.

Second is that either

a) those kung fu guys get to use their fighting skill in a swordsmanship tournament but the boxing guy doesn't get to use his style in a kungfu tournament or

b) fighting skill doesn't apply to fighting because you have to add rules to differentiate between weapons and styles. or

c) all of the above

Wrong. Reread the Trappings rules.
a) the Incompetent flaw where you rely on GM Fiat to determine which skills each character can use or

b) the Incompetent flaw where you rely on the players to not abuse it?

edit: or is it like the edge rules, where you rely on GM Fiat to prevent abuse? Or maybe it's like the edge rules, where you rely on player restraint to prevent abuse?

None of the above. Unlike the aforementioned rules, Savage Worlds actually works. cool.gif

By the way, missed this one earlier:
A game's realism level is often tied directly to it's complexity. The more realism in the rules desired the more complexity required. Savage Worlds, from what I have seen, is an incredibly simple game. This isn't a bad thing, but it does mean that realism suffers in comparison to most other games with a higher complexity level. Savage Worlds (simple) is less realistic than Shadowrun (moderately complex), which is less realistic then Rolemaster (complex), which is one of the more realistic games I've played but is certainly not a mirror of reality. I'm sure there are systems wout there that are both more realistic and complex than Rolemaster.

Granted, SW isn't an attempt to go for a super-realistic game. It's designed for pulp-style, over-the-top action. However, your complexity scale is way off. Wushu and Capes, the games I linked to earlier, are very simple. BESM is simple. Savage Worlds is about average; it just runs faster than simple games. It's on about the same level as d20 core, although it may be a bit more on the True20 side; I'd also put CinUni around this point. Shadowrun, of *any* edition, is fairly heavy; and Rolemaster is insanely complex.

Even within that, Rolemaster is not nearly as realistic as other systems. GURPS, for example, is less-complex and [by default] much more realistic than Chartmaster. FATAL is so complex as to make Rolemaster look like Wushu; and it's probably the least-realistic game out there. (It's so bad, in fact, it's damn near impossible to suspend disbelief.) The original James Bond game is more realistic than Shadowrun by a large margin, but it's somewhat less complex. For that matter, Shadowrun has never tried to be a "realistic" system; it's famed for being one of the early abstract systems.

Once you've gotten a bit of experience with other game systems, you'll see exactly what I mean. You might like a more realistic style of game, which is fine; but don't assume that because a game is less complex, that it is automatically less realistic. Complexity != Realism.
SL James
QUOTE (JongWK @ Jun 25 2006, 09:39 AM)
A little more info: SEC report.

The termination of the Employment Agreement is part of an overall  restructuring the Company has implemented  in which it has  reduced  its U.S.  workforce  by approximately 17%.

Sounds like a nice way of saying that he wasn't forced entirely out of the door because they were laying off people, but that he took some sort of buyout or early retirement.
Frag-o Delux
The problem I see with an all encompassing melee skills isnt so much that learning to swing a flail isnt much different then swinging a nunchuk, because its the same damn weapon. A flail is a stick with a rope and another stick on it, it was meant to be used to knock the grain from the chaff, guess what, the nunchuk is the same thing. It was used entirely differently because of cultures. Try comparing weapons that are reasonably the same, but really different. Like a two handed sword, like a claymore and a 2 handed long axe. Its basically a crushing weapon and really long. But in the details they are nothing alike. Its at higher levels, the finese to make yourself a world class fighter with that weapon is in the details. Details you can only learn with using that weapon. But with that rule, I can master a Claymore but still keep the mastery of the axe.

I also would like to know how much real experiance everyone has with weapons. Yeah a short swonrd is basically the same as a long sword, but once you get to a point the short sword is totaly different then a long sword. You can stab and slash with both weapons, but how you get into possition to do it are two different things. Fighting with a dagger is nothing like fighting with a sword, so you can take a walk with that idea. Watch the UFC stuff once in a while, watch when you have a striker fight a grappler. The striker will pound the other guy for a long time, but once the grappler gets the striker to the mat, the grappler usually wins, if the stirker just doesnt knock the grappler out. Now both fighters are masters in their chosen forms, by the SW rules, the striker should be able to grapple as well as the grappler and the grappler strike as well as the striker. Add a sheild to yoru sword fighting or a second weapon and youll totally change the game again.

Firearms are just as complicated. Firing a pistol has completely different skills then long arms, not to mention a bow. Shooting at extreme ranges is also a new ball game. The firing postions of a pistol are nothing like a rifle. Hell firing a 22 pistol is a lot different then using a 45 in a combat situation, sure you can use both at a target range but try using a 45 like a 22 in a running shoot out. And the next person that says you dont really need to aim a shotgun using bird shot gets kicked in the nuts, because they have never fired a bird shot shotgun at a bird flying 15 or 20 yards away and watch as your wadding just misses and the bird continues on its way. Id like to see an olympic archer shoot at a marine sniper shooting match and the marine do the archery ans see which hits the most targets.

Just look at the training the military and police get and how the mixed martial arts fighters train. The military doesnt train a soldier with a rifle then say, well now that are excellent rifle shots, their training is over. They send them off to learn the crew served weapons, grenade launchers, rocket/missile launchers how to use such weapons from mounted positions liek on Hummvees. Mixed martial artists cross train in many forms of martial arts including wrestling because they have too. They maybe a black belt in karate but a world class wrestler will still out wrestle them.

You can roleplay it out, but I see situations where your players lose their pistol and pick up a crew servered machine gun and lay waste to the enemy just as easily an heated arguement over why he cant do it, the rules say he can. It makes more sense to split up all the skills.
SL James
*suggests moving this to any other thread*
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012