Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone have good Lifting Rules?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Kyrn the Second
I'm sorry, I must been confused by all the world class restaurants that surround me and the various cuisines from across America and the various highly respected culinary schools and the immigrants from hundreds of nations that all brought the best of their own cuisines with them.

This is America. We made cooking a spectator sport. What've you got? Deserts that sound like VD? What's the other one? Dead baby? Please. England's got some great Indian food, but actual English cuisine is pretty scarce.
ornot
America made everything a spectator sport (Jerry Springer anyone?)

Besides which I was refering to actual cuisines derived from american culture, not those brought to the US from elsewhere. Sure you have some very good restaurants, but the cuisine is decidedly foreign. A lot of those cooking styles that have been americanised have been ruined.

I'm not so much rooting for English cuisine, which has a definate tendancy to be stodgy but I am railing against it being rated below that of America.

Thinking about it the only cuisine that I can think of that actually arose in America is fast food and junk like McDonalds. Please. Tell me where I ought to go in the states to get food that doesn't just taste of sugar.
Kyrn the Second
All right. There's my favorite, Southern cuisine, seeing as I am a Southern boy. Southwestern is very good, though the argument could be made that it's more of a Pan-American cuisine. Have you tried any of the fusion cuisine that the Pacific Northwest made famous? Our Western cuisine is very game heavy, but delicious. And then you can hit up New England for lobster, crab and corn at their finest. Head down to Florida and you can find some great Carribean flavors, as well as the birthplace of barbecue, which is great in all its various forms throughout the States. This is a very big country, and every corner of it has given birth to its own cuisine. I'm sure I've missed a lot, but I've still got a great deal of traveling to do myself. Now if I could just get back to Provence and hit up L'Pistou again.

Mmmm...bull....
ornot
I'm not sure I'd agree that every corner of the states has given birth to it's own style of cuisine, but I will accept that there are some fine amalgamations of world cuisines available. The same could be said to be true of the UK, which is home to a great deal of world class restaurants.

Thankyou for your guidance, and might I suggest that if you find yourself in the UK with money to burn you check out some of the restaurants here. It might broaden your perspectives of English cooking beyond spotted dick and toad in the hole.
Geekkake
I don't know, I just like food.
Dr. Dodge
yorkshire pudding, my favorite non-pudding pudding smile.gif
Kyrn
Spent a good deal of time there already. Enjoyed the fish and chips. And I will say some fine cheeses, very enjoyable beers, and discovered cider. The English know how to drink.

Oh, and toad in a hole? Dear Christ man.

Outside of England I found some great places. Wales, Scotland, Ireland, all have very nice food. In England, alas, I found myself all about the Indian food.
Llewelyn
QUOTE (knasser)
QUOTE (Llewelyn @ Jul 2 2006, 11:44 PM)

Over Head: (STR + STR) X (10 +STR) + Hits (STR + Body) X STR
Lift off Ground: (STR + STR) X (22 + STR) + Hits (STR + Body) X (STR X 1.6)

Llewellyn, did you mistype your system, taking average values (hope this formatting works) the progression with your system for lifting overhead is:
CODE

STR&BOD  BASE LIFT Avg. Lift(kg)   Avg using Edge(kg)
    1               11    11                     12
    2               48    50                        52
    3              117   123                   126
    4              224   232            240
    5              375   390            400
    6              576   600            618

Well with the ones I posted (STR+STR) X (10+STR) +(Body/STR successes/hits X STR) I get a bit different.

STR and Body 6 would be base (STR 6 + STR 6) = 12 X 16 = (STR 6 + 10) or (192kg)+ successes/hits (with 4 being average number of hits from 12 dice) = 24 kg total average lift over head of 216kg. The range would be from 192kg(no hits) to 264kg (all 12 hits)

The chart would look a bit more like this for lifting over head.
CODE

STR/Body          Lift Range (with out edge)
   1               22kg-24kg
   2               48kg-56kg
   3               78kg-96kg
   4              112kg-144kg
   5              150kg-200kg
   6              192kg-264kg
  7/6             238kg-329kg
   7              238kg-336kg
   8              288kg-416kg
   9              342kg-504kg
  10              400kg-600kg
  11              462kg-704kg
  12              528kg-816kg
  13              598kg-936kg
  14             672kg-1064kg
  15             750kg-1200kg
Llewelyn
QUOTE (Kyrn)
In England, alas, I found myself all about the Indian food.

That was actually how I felt about France, I ate mostly Indian food there. Aside from the pastries and bread which were great I didn't much care for the French food. The biggest problem we faced as Americans was the amount of time it took to eat. 2 hours to eat a normal meal was very fast.

One thing I think they need to develop is tips. I mean in the States the servers want to make the customer as happy as possible since tips is where the real income is. In France the servers seemed put out by any request, till we started leaving tips at the Hotel restaurant. Then we were treated much differently and they even cooked my hamburger like I wanted it and didn't roll their eyes anymore. biggrin.gif
Llewelyn
The scale doesn't look too bad with in the human rages, but at the top there is once again too much variance between the base and max imo.

So how about making it just a STR check and not including Body. So it would look like ((STR + STR) X (10+STR)) + (STR hits X STR) and ((STR+STR)X(22+STR)) + (STR hits X STR)

Lifting Chart
CODE

STR        Overhead                Lift off ground

1         22kg + 1kg per hit        46kg + 1kg per hit
 2         48kg + 2kg per hit        96kg + 2kg per hit
 3         78kg + 3kg per hit       150kg + 3kg per hit
 4        112kg + 4kg per hit       208kg + 4kg per hit
 5        150kg + 5kg per hit       270kg + 5kg per hit
 6        192kg + 6kg per hit       336kg + 6kg per hit
 7        238kg + 7kg per hit       406kg + 7kg per hit
 8        288kg + 8kg per hit       480kg + 8kg per hit
 9        342kg + 9kg per hit       558kg + 9kg per hit
10        400kg + 10kg per hit      640kg + 10kg per hit
11        462kg + 11kg per hit      726kg + 11kg per hit
12        528kg + 12kg per hit      816kg + 12kg per hit
13        598kg + 13kg per hit      910kg + 13kg per hit
14        672kg + 14kg per hit     1008kg + 14kg per hit
15        750kg + 15kg per hit     1110kg + 15kg per hit
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012