Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: If the Awakening happened, what would be your...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
NightmareX
QUOTE (emo samurai)
And would there even be an inquisition to begin with?

Look at what happened with 9/11. The second some mage with more power than brains offed a polititian he didn't like the whole nest of them would be screaming for a bloody crackdown, echoed and supported by more than a few religious groups. Once this started, the more mages that resisted violently, the more public opinion would turn against them and the harsher the crackdown would get. Very quickly it would get to that point of (trying to) round up anyone suspected of magical activity, just to be sure.

The only thing that saved the Shadowrun world from this scenario is the fact that the megacorps - not nations and not religious groups - had the most (economic) power and influence in the aftermath of the Ghost Dance War, and they found ways to make a profit off tame magicians.
Demon_Bob
Perhaps this is why in some countries mages must be registered.
Also those countries have a special investigative devision.
torzzzzz
QUOTE (Demon_Bob @ Jul 23 2006, 10:53 AM)
Perhaps this is why in some countries mages must be registered.
Also those countries have a special investigative devision.

I must agree our GM always made me cover my spells once I cast them or I was going to get unwanted visitors fast!

I like the whole magic thing but I can't help getting a little bit twichy at the thought of someone with unspeakable power wandering about waiting for someone to P**s them off. I don't realy fancy having a manna ball in the face 'coz he dident like what i said about his brother!'

torz x wink.gif
emo samurai
I'm a pretty nice person; I assume I won't be pissing off too many mages.

Plus, I'm assuming that I will be a mage, since I am awesome, so I'll probably be the one nuking people with my head.

I am, however, a kind and just demigod.
Grinder
You would be know really soon by most mages in the world, I'm sure. biggrin.gif
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (torzzzzz)
I don't realy fancy having a manna ball in the face 'coz he dident like what i said about his brother!'

Don't worry, I prefer stunballs and mass agony.
WhiskeyMac
I think the biggest thing Emo is forgetting about is DRAIN. Walking around casting fireballs right and left would give you the biggest motherfragging headache ever, if not make your brain jump out of your skull to escape the torture. Even if you had spirits sucking down the drain for you, pretty soon those said spirits would start refusing orders from you or not coming to your beck and call.

I like how Emo is suddenly a grade 4 initiate even though not even some characters that have been run for 2 years solid have that grade. nice sarcastic.gif

And 99% would thrash 1% even if they had those elements. Extreme disbelieve has to be considered with the Ghost Dance and how Native Americans somehow stopped the biggest military powerhouse in the world through mudslides and tornadoes. Sure it was "magical" but when you think about it how many times has the US Army gone 1 way to a location? Where the hell did the drain for all that "most powerful spell-casting and spirit-summoning session ever" go? I'm pretty sure it was some "most extreme focus ever." Anyways, I voted 1%, that's more than enough in my book. Stupid mages.

Also, mundies have this thing called "Willpower" that allows them to resist magical attacks to them. Some people have more than others but I'm sure that your "all-powerful" mage would be able to kill them all sarcastic.gif
PBTHHHHT
QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm @ Jul 23 2006, 10:32 PM)
QUOTE (torzzzzz @ Jul 23 2006, 03:39 PM)
I don't realy fancy having a manna ball in the face 'coz he dident like what i said about his brother!'

I like mass agony, but I've also been a fan of hot potato. smile.gif

QUOTE (WhiskeyMac)
Also, mundies have this thing called "Willpower" that allows them to resist magical attacks to them. Some people have more than others but I'm sure that your "all-powerful" mage would be able to kill them all

Don't forget Magic Resistance also. I can see people with those being in high demand for anti-mage work.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (WhiskeyMac @ Jul 23 2006, 11:00 PM)
And 99% would thrash 1% even if they had those elements. Extreme disbelieve has to be considered with the Ghost Dance and how Native Americans somehow stopped the biggest military powerhouse in the world through mudslides and tornadoes. Sure it was "magical" but when you think about it how many times has the US Army gone 1 way to a location?

It wasn't the terrain damage so much as the ourgiht devestation. The GGD was basicly Howling Coyote's version of Fat Man and Little Boy. Sure, they could only do it once but the United States didn't know that at the time. The possibility that the Native Americans could deal at Hiroshima-level destruction on a whim was a bit too much to ignore. They could have retailited with nuclear arms of their own but I don't think using nuclear weapons on American soil would have made the administration very popular, if the weapons were able to detonate at all.

Where the hell did the drain for all that "most powerful spell-casting and spirit-summoning session ever" go? I'm pretty sure it was some "most extreme focus ever." Anyways, I voted 1%, that's more than enough in my book. Stupid mages.

Actually, most of the participants in the GGD were mundane and they took the brunt of the drain. Mundane dancers died by the thousands to fuel the magic and keep the drain away from the magicians. It was basicly a big act of voluntary blood magic.

The great thing is that any cult leader with a little bit of knowledge can repeat the GGD. If you have followers willing to die for you there is no reason not to use them as WMDs in a suicidal standoff.
NightmareX
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Sure, they could only do it once but the United States didn't know that at the time.

I was under the impression from the timeline that they performed the GGD ritual two, maybe three times during said war.
torzzzzz
QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm)
QUOTE (torzzzzz @ Jul 23 2006, 03:39 PM)

Thanks thats really reassuring! biggrin.gif

torz x
emo samurai
Manaballs are pretty low drain, too. And I'd be very, very nice to the spirits.

Plus, I wouldn't actually fireball people; more like use earth elementals to bury them in the ground up to their chins.
FanGirl
QUOTE (emo samurai)
Manaballs are pretty low drain, too. And I'd be very, very nice to the spirits.

Plus, I wouldn't actually fireball people; more like use earth elementals to bury them in the ground up to their chins.

Sure you will. ohplease.gif

You know what, Emo? I doubt you'll be able to maintain your reign of terror for very long, because I'll Awaken too, and I won't take your impulsive slaughter sitting down. I expect we'll end up having a cataclysmic battle with each other, during which we will most likely sling spell after powerful spell at each other while performing spectacular aerial stunts that would put Sir Ian McKellen and Christopher Lee to shame. The battle will be very Intense and Poignant, and will no doubt result with both of us dying in a terrible fiery explosion bought about by our clash of wills. The film version of our story, directed by Jerry Bruckheimer, will be released about two years later. Millions will mourn. biggrin.gif
emo samurai
No, see, you'll be all "Look at me, I can masturr the inturrnet," and I'll be like, "blargh, stunball you," and you'll be like, "blargh, I am stunballed."

And I won't slaughter people; I'll just humiliate them, and kill them only if they call for genocidal bullshit.
Birdy
The good thing about mages:

They will never know wether or not the guy standing behind them just waits for a sign they might probably be a spellcaster and shoot them "just to be sure".

9mm kills Mages anytime!
Grinder
You can't kill what you can see. With a 9mm at least.
PBTHHHHT
QUOTE (Grinder)
You can't kill what you can see. With a 9mm at least.

Less drain to spray and pray. wink.gif
Grinder
Who's praying in 2070 anyway?
PBTHHHHT
Certainly not the aetheists.

edit: A jab at the other thread, I'd certainly be praying in a world filled with fantasy creatures come to life, that witches CAN cast spells, dragons really do eat people and all the other things that go bump in the night. Yeah, I'd be praying. nyahnyah.gif
emo samurai
What do you have against mages anyway, Birdy? Besides the fact that you aren't awesome enough to be one. nyahnyah.gif
Birdy
QUOTE (emo samurai)
What do you have against mages anyway, Birdy? Besides the fact that you aren't awesome enough to be one. nyahnyah.gif

In SR: Browning Ultra Power.
emo samurai
? You answered with a gun brand. I don't know what that has to do with hating mages.
WhiskeyMac
So if so many Native Americans "willingly" sacrificed themselves to perform the GGD, how the hell did they have enough people to take over the western half of the US of A? I'm not an expert on population but I seriously doubt that there would be enough of them to contend with the US just waiting them out. The US lost a very large stretch of land because of a "magic" flex but then where did all those Native Americans come from to take it over?
Platinum
When you are on a reserve there is nothing else to do but multiply.
Demon_Bob
Always kinda wondered about that myself.

The way I figure it anyone who was at least 1/8th Indian suddenly found themselves considered full blooded. The 1/16ths to 1/32nds were suddenly half-breeds.

Anyone living what might be considered an Indian Lifestyle and all the wanna-be's suddenly found out that now they were full blooded Indians.

Not sure if even that would be enough really, so then we bring in reincarnated Indians, and clones.

Of course, it is easier to take over the World if you have the biggest, deadliest weapon, and everyone elses weapons don't seem to work very well against you.
In effect, the Indians had the Gatling guns and cannons this time, and the rest of the world had the bows and arrows.
Grinder
QUOTE (PBTHHHHT)
Certainly not the aetheists.

edit: A jab at the other thread, I'd certainly be praying in a world filled with fantasy creatures come to life, that witches CAN cast spells, dragons really do eat people and all the other things that go bump in the night. Yeah, I'd be praying. nyahnyah.gif

You would praying to the one and onle Holy Drop, I hope wink.gif
Birdy
QUOTE (emo samurai @ Jul 24 2006, 09:06 PM)
? You answered with a gun brand. I don't know what that has to do with hating mages.

It's the tool to represent it. IRL I would prefer H&K.

Magic in SR is anti-technological, often backwards Hippie-Shit. And whatever comes from that swamp deserves to be rejected IRL and shot in game.
Grinder
Most hermetics wouldn't agree with you...
Nidhogg
QUOTE (Birdy)
Magic in SR is anti-technological, often backwards Hippie-Shit. And whatever comes from that swamp deserves to be rejected IRL and shot in game.

But hippie shit gives us such lovely, lovely drugs. You can't go wrong lounging on your couch on a Sunday morning smoking a doob and watching cartoon shows.

Pass to the left my friend, pass to the left.
Birdy
QUOTE (Grinder)
Most hermetics wouldn't agree with you...

That's why Hermetics fall under the "Recruit them" part of the old Ranger creed:

"Shoot them or Recruit them"

Hermetics (a rarity among players in my experience) are the most acceptable of the SR mages. Properly indoctrinated (Manchurian candidate style) and equiped (Cortex bomb) they can be useful assets.
Birdy
QUOTE (Nidhogg)
QUOTE (Birdy @ Jul 25 2006, 04:13 AM)

But hippie shit gives us such lovely, lovely drugs. You can't go wrong lounging on your couch on a Sunday morning smoking a doob and watching cartoon shows.

Pass to the left my friend, pass to the left.

I'm an old fashioned Westfalian Catholic:

+ Drugs is what the doctor prescribes you when you are ill.

+ You are only ill if the pain can't be corrected with Schnaps

+ If I want to be able to endure the morning cartoons, Germany Searches the Superstar or visiting relatives, a case of Veltins or Königs Pilsener does the trick just fine

+ Beer: 5km drive, Dope: 25km drive => Beer is cheaper!
Grinder
biggrin.gif I forgot about your background. biggrin.gif

I had a lot hermetics in my campaings and convention games. Hermetics don't have a strict mindest and don't face the penalites of a shaman for certain spell categories.
Nidhogg
QUOTE (Birdy)
I'm an old fashioned Westfalian Catholic

Oh. I'm so sorry to hear that.

Drugs is what the doctor prescribes you when you are ill.

Not the fun ones wink.gif . Like Jesus said: "Though shalt smoketh the leaf, for it shall be enlighten you, and make Geddy Lee bloweth thine mind."

You are only ill if the pain can't be corrected with Schnaps

I'm more a CC guy myself. Nothing like a belt of rye to go with a nice big honey blunt. Yum.

If I want to be able to endure the morning cartoons, Germany Searches the Superstar or visiting relatives, a case of Veltins or Königs Pilsener does the trick just fine

It's not about enduring them, it's about enjoying them. A wake'n'bake watching cartoons on the weekend is an experiance everyone should try. I guarentee the rest of your day will be awsome.

Beer: 5km drive, Dope: 25km drive => Beer is cheaper!

Christ. Here in Toronto, pot is a phone call and a ten minute trip on the subway away. Plus, $50 covers you, and three or four of your friends for the night. Booze is only cheaper by your lonesome, and getting drunk alone isn't fun.
Birdy
QUOTE (Nidhogg)

Beer: 5km drive, Dope: 25km drive => Beer is cheaper!

Christ. Here in Toronto, pot is a phone call and a ten minute trip on the subway away. Plus, $50 covers you, and three or four of your friends for the night. Booze is only cheaper by your lonesome, and getting drunk alone isn't fun.

Your dope might be closer but ours is state controlled quality from the Netherlands wink.gif .

And beer's not that costly and actually contains alcohol over here in germany. biggrin.gif So 50€ should cover a similar sized group. If in doubt, there's always DAB and Wolters - cheap and nasty.

Grinder
Even far away from the Netherlands getting good stuff is only a 10 minutes walk away smile.gif

Spending 50€ on beer will buy you 150 bottles of Astra. That should be enough for you and four friends, unless they're Skinheads. biggrin.gif
Nidhogg
I'm a fan of $12 mickeys of rye whiskey when I want to get drunk on the cheap. That's about as cheap as booze comes in Canada unless you throw self respect out the window and buy Old English. Urgh.
Grinder
I don't like getting drunk by booze, been a beer fan since childhood. Cheap booze will cost you 4-5€ here, but don't expect too much in taste unless you mix it with cola. wink.gif
Birdy
QUOTE (Grinder)
Even far away from the Netherlands getting good stuff is only a 10 minutes walk away smile.gif

Spending 50€ on beer will buy you 150 bottles of Astra. That should be enough for you and four friends, unless they're Skinheads. biggrin.gif

There are things man should not name - Astra being one of them. biggrin.gif

I went as far as a sensible man should go by telling the worl about DAB and Wolters.

And while SkinHead sounds good given the current weather, I'd rather keep what few hairs time and age have left me and go singing with my fellow workers.

"Hi Hooooh, hi hoo and of to work we go..."

I am hairy, grumpy, overweight, love beer and my family is miners - Shit, I am a dwarf!
Sicarius
i'm for 1% at a maximum, preferably even less. Maybe 1% mages, with half of those actually recognizing their talent
emo samurai
So that you have a chance of winning a war with them if you decide to go stupid and genocidal?

Everyone knows that RL magic will be so much more awesome than SR magic. We will still kick your stupid Humanis ass.

And Birdy, what if YOU were given magic powers? I mean, as a full mage?
Birdy
QUOTE (emo samurai)
So that you have a chance of winning a war with them if you decide to go stupid and genocidal?

Everyone knows that RL magic will be so much more awesome than SR magic. We will still kick your stupid Humanis ass.

And Birdy, what if YOU were given magic powers? I mean, as a full mage?

See other threat about that.
emo samurai
Oh yeah, you'd kill yourself. Cool.
Grinder
QUOTE (Birdy)

He, I know a handful of people who got the Astra-logo tattooed. biggrin.gif As well as the St. Pauli-logo.

I was raised with Astra, so to speak. Spent my first years of near-adulthood in and around Hamburg, where the only choice is Astra or Holsten. Thank God I moved closer to Beck's Town four years ago. biggrin.gif

Grinder
QUOTE (emo samurai)
Oh yeah, you'd kill yourself. Cool.

Some decisions won't be understanable to us. But please notice that Birdy would likely become a hermetic mage and could live with that. Just no hippie shit. wink.gif
Birdy
QUOTE (Grinder)
QUOTE (Birdy @ Jul 25 2006, 01:26 PM)

He, I know a handful of people who got the Astra-logo tattooed. biggrin.gif As well as the St. Pauli-logo.

I was raised with Astra, so to speak. Spent my first years of near-adulthood in and around Hamburg, where the only choice is Astra or Holsten. Thank God I moved closer to Beck's Town four years ago. biggrin.gif

St. Pauli I might understand. Granted, I never really understood why the other football clubs exist, also my current thesis is that they are there to amuse the players of Bayern München.

But Astra.... biggrin.gif
Lagomorph
I voted every one awakens. An armed society is a polite society. Armed with super powers, a society is super polite. wink.gif
emo samurai
So... magically-active, on-topic soccer team?
Grinder
It's impossible to cut the ties between St. Pauli and Astra: both have a cult status and both are located "in the heart of St. Pauli".

German soccer clubs are a joke nowadays. The league is boring and international the german club teams are too weak. Fuck it. I prefer watching only "high class" games of every league.
Grinder
QUOTE (emo samurai)
So... magically-active, on-topic soccer team?

I doubt you can find enough mages who are also good in soccer. And not even enough to fill a whole league. It would be fun to watch a match of two magic-soccer teams, though. smile.gif
emo samurai
Now THAT would make Birdy kill himself.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012