Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: DNI question
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
hobgoblin
i guess its time for me to break out my old networking knowhow...

in real life you have two layers (actualy more but two that we need to think about) when transfering data over a network. the logical layer and the physical layer.

the logical layer is carried on top of the physical layer, and can even jump between diffrent kinds of physical layers.

in SR4, skinlink is one physical layer, wireless is another. but they both use the same logical layer.

allso, both physical layers in SR4 are broadcast. this means that anyone listening on the same physical layer can in theory pick up the data being sendt via said layer.

things like PAN, node, firewall and all that act on the logical layer.
they are logical labels used to sort all the data traffic on the physical layer so that its simpler to manage.

so when you set up a PAN, you basicly tell the devices in it to only talk to other devices from the same PAN.

hmm, something tells me this will just add more to the fog, not remove it...
Abbandon
Phobos

3) If you don't want SIMSENSE you can still send
- sight (to an Image Link in your Cybereyes via trodes or datajack, an Image Link in your contact lenses/glasses/goggles, or to any Trideo Display connected to your commlink for that matter),
- sound (Sound Link in Cyberears via Trodes/Datajack, Sound Link in headphones, or to some speakers connected to your Commlink)
- touch (Touch Link via Trodes/Datajack or a ineteractive bodysuit),
- and even taste and smell if you have the right kind of cyberwear/gear.

Now what about output via trodenet minus simsense. Can you eject a clip from your smartgun by sending the command through a trodenet+comm without a sim mod. What about write a mental email? Couldnt you navigate AR with your mind without simsense.
===================================================

A paranoid runner has two PAN's. One is a commlink w/sim mod and glasses, earbuds, sub vocal mic, and AR glove. The second is a datajack linked to all his cyberwear. Everything in the second PAN has wi-fi turned OFF.

Can he turn on the wi-fi of his jack and subscribe it to his comms to send out sight, sound, smartgun cam data and then unsubsrcibe the datajack and then turn off its wifi again all in one turn or init pass??
hobgoblin
the way i understand SR4, trodes are useless without simsense.

Can he turn on the wi-fi of his jack and subscribe it to his comms to send out sight, sound, smartgun cam data and then unsubsrcibe the datajack and then turn off its wifi again all in one turn or init pass??

given that "device mode switching" is a free action, maybe.
it all depends on how the gm interpets the actions.

thing is, data transfers (no matter the size) finishes at end of combat turn it was started in (even if it was started as the last action of the last initative pass of said turn, go fig). but then again, is the transfer of on the fly captured data like sight and sound realy data transfers. or are they broadcasts?

do it, but the amount of data that gets transferd in a initative pass may not be much if its being captured in real time (a single initative pass is a smaller part of a combat turn. a combat turn is 3 seconds long).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012