Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Metahuman Anatomy and Physiology, the R version
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Shrike30
I still wanna know how the "Dwarf women have beards" thing made it into a SR talk.
Moon-Hawk
What percentage of RL human women can grow substantial facial hair? I've seen some women that have beards. And I'm not talking about one or two stray whiskers on an old lady, nor am I talking about a full and bushy "bearded lady" style beard, either. Now I figure, for every lady sporting a beard that I actually see, there must be hundreds that shave/wax/electrolysize/laser remove. So how many women could grow significant facial hair, if they didn't remove it? Hmmmmm.
sorcel
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
What percentage of RL human women can grow substantial facial hair?

It's a question of genetics, largely determined by ethnicity. Some genetic backgrounds are biologically predisposed toward balances of hormones conducive to growth of body hair. At the same time, it's often hard to guess which ethnic backgrounds correlate with prolific hair growth because cultural pressures induce women to remove their body hair for cosmetic reasons. One can make one's own observations; I prefer to keep mine to myself, for fear that I might be incorrect. smile.gif

-S
Shrapnel
This whole thing sounds like a really bad "Shadowrun meets F.A.T.A.L." joke... eek.gif
Tanka
QUOTE (Shrapnel)
This whole thing sounds like a really bad "Shadowrun meets F.A.T.A.L." joke... eek.gif

Ha!

Yeah. This is entirely too contrived.

Your game or whatever, but this is just silly.
Samaels Ghost
This is hilarious! I can't imagine that this had any other intention other than laughs, though. It just as silly as vibrating cyber vaginas.
Dog
shhh... you don't wanna start anything.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Dog)
shhh... you don't wanna start anything.

...I think it's to late.
WhiskeyMac
The thing I don't understand is how the physiology is so different "down there" if all meta-races expressed from humans. Yeah in the 4th age they were their own races but most of the 2070 ones are children of expressed parents. 40 years is a fast time to suddenly evolve completely different genitalia.
Ceres
Interesting. I'll say nothing more on it than that. And hey, I'm all for elven women not having menstrual cycles. Now if I could apply that to my own life...

As for "forty years to develop different genetalia", evolution and the like is hardly predictable. I don't study evolution or biology to that degree, but it's possible, to a degree, for things to at least begin to change like that. I don't know if it's possible that quickly, but recessive genetics, man... I'm not clear on SR's look at genetics, though. Ergo, not sure how they'd play in, but they might.

Dun quote me on any of that, though.
torzzzzz
QUOTE (knasser @ Jul 17 2006, 01:31 PM)
You should read a book called "Why is Sex Fun?" by Jared Diamond. It talks about why female primates (a) remain in a state of sexual receptivity even when infertile and (b) why unlike nearly all other animals, they conceal whether or not they are fertile from the male of the species. Even baboon's asses change colour, and the females of most mammal species at least have the decency to smell different. But human males are kept in a state of permanent (but usually deluded) optimism about the fertility of the women around them.

I must agree with your sentiment, the concept of reproduction in primates, i am a firm believer in the sentiments of Jared Diamond who has also written allot about human evolution...... and about third man (could this be orc?)

The ideas you put out are well thought out and the cycle of the elf is similar to that of primates (some) but as we don't know what they are thinking it is not possible to say they only have arousal at the time of heat, however the only other primate apart from man which douse is a type of monkey whos name escapes me they do it for fun and bonding, with anything they can get there hands on.

I know that elf biology is not the same as human and to all intents and purposes not real. However you have to draw something from our biology if they were goblinised or born elf (it's a case of genetics).

Dwarves well, if you look at skeletal differences in male and female primates of all species there is one simple difference between the both, the brow ridge, even in illustrations seen in source books the male's have a brow ridge's and the female's don't, ( well almost a bit hard to tell in the case of orks and trolls).

The argument could be made that the Dwarf, Elf, Ork and Troll are different species but they came from a base species (that being man) and should still hold some simalaritys to anatomy. However this subject could be debated for a long time and it is not proven science, so anything go's.

Good concept

torz x
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Ceres)
As for "forty years to develop different genetalia", evolution and the like is hardly predictable. I don't study evolution or biology to that degree, but it's possible, to a degree, for things to at least begin to change like that. I don't know if it's possible that quickly, but recessive genetics, man... I'm not clear on SR's look at genetics, though. Ergo, not sure how they'd play in, but they might.

Dun quote me on any of that, though.

Nope, not really. Massive changes aren't how evolution works. It is all about minor differances that don't significantly deviate from normal but which provide a reproductive advantage. Over thousands of generations those minor deviations will be standardized and/or exagerated. Such massive changes over such a short period of time would not be evolution, it would be revolution.

However, UGE is not evolution. Rather, it is the expression of traits which alread existed but which had been supressed by enviromental factors. 5000 years is not nearly enough time to select against those suppressed traits so there wouldn't be any evolution away from them.
Say, for example, I started a island colony and put a chemical in the water supply that caused fetuses to devolp clubbed feet. Over the centuries, clubbed feet would begin to seem normal to the inhabitants of this island. However, if the contaminant is removed the children born without it will have normal feet. This has nothing to do with evolution.
The same is true for lactating men. Men have all of the structures necessary for a fuunctional breast and we are able to devolp those structures into working milk-machines. However, most men do not have large working breasts because we lack the necessary hormones. The introduction of those hormones is all that is necessary to produce a race of big-breasted men.
In this case, the enviromental factor is mana.

Personally, I would look at metahuman anatomy it from the Fourth World rather than the Sixth World. I also wouldn't make the differences so extreme.

I'm just glad he didn't state that elf males go into a period of sexual frenzy once every seven years, which requires them to either mate or kill their Captain.
nezumi
I did guess on the orks being cat-like, although I was under the impression that ovulation didn't occur due to orgasm, but due to vaginal stimulation (more generally). BTW, like cats, here ork mothers can give birth to a litter that has two or more fathers. Can you imagine being "twins" with your half-brother?

The troll surprises me though. We already have human reproduction. Given the hentai background we're using, I think it only makes sense that troll penises are actually tentacles.
Ed Simons
QUOTE (WhiskeyMac)
And why the hell do Trolls have dog-sheaths on their penises? And Orks have barbs like cats?

Because everyone knows orks and trolls are just animals. ohplease.gif

And elves are all hawt nymphos who are far to speshul to have deal with messy ol' biology like real women. ohplease.gif

And dwarves are so manly that even their women have beards and dicks. ohplease.gif

Isn't it fun turning them into one-dimesional sterotypes. ohplease.gif
Ed Simons
QUOTE (FanGirl)
So, how do you explain the fact that ork babies "are most often born in litters of four, but some ork mothers have given birth to as many as eight young," as stated on p. 66 of the 4th edition BBB?

Orks giving birth in litters is one of the most nonsensical things in the setting.

Magic Indians conquering half of North America makes more sense.

Art Dankwalter makes more sense.
Sahandrian
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Jul 21 2006, 09:13 AM)
The same is true for lactating men. Men have all of the structures necessary for a fuunctional breast and we are able to devolp those structures into working milk-machines. However, most men do not have large working breasts because we lack the necessary hormones. The introduction of those hormones is all that is necessary to produce a race of big-breasted men.
In this case, the enviromental factor is mana.

Mana is all that's necessary to give men big breasts?

We might want to rethink that awakening thing...

I know what you meant, but it's morning and that's what I saw at first...
Sicarius
QUOTE (Ed Simons)

[/QUOTE]
Orks giving birth in litters is one of the most nonsensical things in the setting.

Magic Indians conquering half of North America makes more sense.

not to necessarily disagree with you about the silliness of litters, but isn't there a hormone treatment they give now that increases fertility, and the chance at twins, triplets, quadriples or whatever the heck? could ork females naturally carry such a hormone?

It's a question not a statement, so nobody flame me.
Lindt
Its more a meta reason to have large young populations of orks.
Moon-Hawk
I'll buy it. You know why? Because whenever I read about any fictitious biology it's all very well explained and makes a lot of sense. Then I watch Discovery and they talk about real-life animals that live in rainforests, in Austrailia, or in the ocean, and they're a whole lot weirder than you can get away with in fiction before people start calling "bullshit."
Now if all that wacky crap is possible in RL, and I've already suspended my disbelief enough to add mana and metagenes into the mix, I say, "Sure, why the heck not?"
Chrome Shadow
A few months out of here and this is what I fall into...

I need an elf woman... lick.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012