Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Body Count!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
mmu1
Contrary to the topic description, I was actually fairly seriously wondering how combat heavy most games tend to be - and how that's reflected in terms of career-long body counts.

Will the fact many people view excessive killing as unprofessional show up? Or will the people who suggest killing everyone on site and all the witnesses in a two block radius dominate?

I believe the record for one of my characters stands at about 55. (though I'm being intentionally conservative)

EDIT (to combine multiple answers and clarify, since I found I was confusing myself and starting to give out contradictory answers - please ignore anything elsewhere in the thread):

I'm asking for a lifetime total for one character - preferably either your favorite / longest runinng one, or the one you consider most typical of your style of play - not necessarily your highest "scoring" one.
mfb
are you talking total, or the highest count for a single run? either way, i'm at >100.
mmu1
(...)
Lagomorph
Is this just in one round, or one combat or lifetime achievement?

For lifetime achievement I'm pretty sure my rigger character is well over a hundred, counting all the people in vehicles who've died from crash damage in vehicles he shot up, and counting the innocent bystanders he ran over. grinbig.gif

I think the most in one round is.. hard to say, probably around 10. Yeah easily around 10.
mmu1
QUOTE (Lagomorph @ Jul 18 2006, 03:12 PM)
Is this just in one round, or one combat or lifetime achievement?

Lifetime achievement (for ONE character) as a result of that character's direct actions.
Brahm
QUOTE (mmu1 @ Jul 18 2006, 02:08 PM)
Career total for your highest-scoring wink.gif character.

A few of my characters are down around 10 or less in a career. Meaning they only kill someone every few runs, if that. But there are others that are much different. I don't ever recall topping 20 on a single run. But then it's hard to say what the count is when you are sporatically pumping off GL rounds downtown Seattle and running too fast to check pulses.
nezumi
I can only make a rough guess. I mean, one or two bombings, a few gang fights and regular odd-ball hijinks will increase the body count of just about any runner, over a long enough career.
X-Kalibur
My favorite character has killed off somewhere between 20 and 50 people (SR3 adept), but to be fair he had a sociopathic personality and loved his Dikoted Ares Monosword and his killing hands S.
Butterblume
My favourite and longest played char, a dwarf decker/face (sr3), has killed less then 20, as far as I remember.

I should mention, she was pretty good in a gunfight, just tended to avoid them. (SMG 6(7), meat initiative 10+1W6, combat pool iirc 12 dice, and a tendency to fight smart).
Sahandrian
I'm guessing about 5-20 cause I never really keep track.

My longest-run character was a face/decker, so he probably had under 10... The second-oldest was a shaman who probably had a dozen from a certain ghoul incident, alone... Then there were two mercenaries, who both tended to kill anything that moved, but neither saw much play...

And then there's my current adept, who's chalked up about 10 kills in around three weeks of play. But he's a sociopath. He once got the shaman he was working with to let himself be stabbed, just to see if he'd let him do it.
FlakJacket
What can I say? Anti-vehicle mines, AGTM's, light machine guns and claymore mines tend to leave things a little messy. smile.gif
Grinder
I played an elven ki-adept for six years irl. Ended up with ~400 points of karma and many many runs under his belt. I guess he killed nearly 100 people.
Dawnshadow
Very much lost count.

I mean.. the character did crowd control with an LMG, and then shot a chopper down on it..

Of course, the ones he's indirectly responsible for are far, far more numerous, and the ones that are the responsibility of the people trying to off him are even more numerous then that, so he's "technically" a good guy wink.gif
Shrike30
You should probably modify the nature of the poll slightly. Direct kills? Not so many. Indirect kills (involving demolitions gone wrong, starting a riot, driving a luxury yacht with it's defense systems online up onto a gang-controlled beach, etc) it's a hell of a lot higher.

Oh, do bug spirits count?
mfb
and what about shedim?
FanGirl
I still haven't played many sessions and my character is pretty pacifistic, but I do have a body count from a mall run. Long story short, I hacked a Weapons World defense system and used the gun turrets to mow down a bunch of flesh-form bugs. I never found out the exact tally from that, but I would guess that it was about a few dozen. Oh, and I helped the team's tank kill the two true-forms that attacked him, using a pair of Steel Lynxes (also hacked) to fire on them. I think the tank was the one to strike the killing blows, though.
Taran
Zero, as far as I know. Look for updated figures Friday morning wink.gif
Tiralee
Let's see, the pyro Fire-mage, simply lost count, well over 200.

But the highest-"scorer" is the newbie decker, who needed a distraction for the team while we were trying to loot a convoy in down-town Seattle.
So what'd he do?
Screwed with the municiple traffic grid.

I was giving the team an updated Crashes/Injuries/Fatality every second turn - the incident is now classed as a terrorist attack and he wasn't even trying to kill people, just "Create multiple distractions".

Sure, raising a bridge with a busload of nuns and orphans is not going net you karma, but it makes for great colour commentary.

His reaction, after the first kill-count.
"I did WHAT?! I only increased the maximum speed and made people drive in reverse.....Oh, holy S#it!"

Later...
"Aww, F#ck me, how many, seriously...200, 300?"
"Uh, currently a confirmed count of 417 fatalities and almost triple that for reported injuries."
"......"
(Another player) "You're going to be spending a lot of downtime, aren't you?"
"Oh yes. In a dark room, with no one about...hey, that's what I do normally!"
Group: "Fap, fap, fap, fap!"

-Tir
Kagetenshi
Methinks someone had punishing the player in mind…

~J
mmu1
QUOTE (Taran)
Zero, as far as I know. Look for updated figures Friday morning wink.gif

Well, I do recall an instance of a car being made to crash into a wall, courtesy of one of your spirits... Still, considering I was repeatedly firing IPE grenades at it at the time, I suppose that only counts for partial credit. wink.gif
mmu1
QUOTE (Shrike30)
You should probably modify the nature of the poll slightly. Direct kills? Not so many. Indirect kills (involving demolitions gone wrong, starting a riot, driving a luxury yacht with it's defense systems online up onto a gang-controlled beach, etc) it's a hell of a lot higher.

Oh, do bug spirits count?

You're probably right, but frankly, there are too many different ways to look at it...

As for what counts... I'd say stick to things that can be defined (however loosely) as metahuman.
Demon_Bob
I was remote rigging a tanker and screwed up so bad the GM said it ran into a building. Found out later in the news (next run) just how big the building was and that how much damage was done. After that my body count that I had been trying to keep low jumped a few hundred.
Kagetenshi
Do either of you have an idea of what Alex's current bodycount is? I've got a pretty accurate mage-fender count, but everyone else just gets lost in the haze.

Except the Russian compatriot. I remember him.

~J
NightmareX
Oh gods. I lost count for Nightmare somewhere in the middle of 2nd edition, but I can safely geusstimate he was well over 300 before Bug City came out. In the years since....

Let's put it this way, on the humanity test I can safely answer question 78 as "Kid Stealth (unknown - possibly genocide)".
Jrayjoker
I had a dog shaman for a long time that was good at the combat thing, but mostly handled critters with termination and people with sleep spells (SR2).
mmu1
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Do either of you have an idea of what Alex's current bodycount is? I've got a pretty accurate mage-fender count, but everyone else just gets lost in the haze.

Not really... My best guess would be somewhere around 20.
DeadNeon
As a player, my record for a single character is around 50. But that character was a twinked combat monkey in a game speciffically designed for twinked combat monkeys.

As a GM, my record PC body count is four characters. (of seven being played)
Kyoto Kid
...for the original KK it was something like 30 - 35. If ghouls & spirits (including bugs) counted it would be between 55 - 60.

The undisputed winner on my Ares Body-Count-O-Meter would be my sniper bounty hunter Jill (My next longest running character). She easily racked up 100 kills (maybe more, I don't remember) in her career. On one mission it was almost like that scene from Hot Shots" with the counter ticking away in the corner of the screen.
SuperFly
The most impressive body count I've ever seen is held by Winston Harris, a character played by an old #s-run patron called Red_Foxx.

On top of the 100+ PC's and NPC's who fell before his light pistol and sniper rifle (this man slung acid into a dragon's face!), he also pushed the button which caused a chain of nuclear warhead detonations -- levelling a small third world country and wracking up an impressive kill count of over 3,000,000.

Whatta guy!
ShadowDragon8685
Which third-world country did he demolish, and how did he get into position to press The Button?
The Stainless Steel Rat
Well over 100.

Felix was an ambidextrous Gun-Fu adept I played back in SR2. He regularly rolled 35+ initiative, and with the way initiative was handled back then he would usually get 4-6 attacks before anyone else even moved. This resulted in large numbers of NPC's thrown at him, and a body count that escalated rapidly...
BookWyrm
With my character, killing is ONLY as an unavoidable last resort.
Except in the case of avenging his murdered fiance a while back, then the little snot deserved it......after a long painful torture.
torzzzzz
It had to be brindle my Troll Cat shaman she was nuts! RIP *sniff* frown.gif

torz x
SuperFly
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)
Which third-world country did he demolish, and how did he get into position to press The Button?

Tazmania or Tanzania...something like that.

It was a third world country with a third world government -- thus, third world security. We were hired to go in and disarm them of the nukes. Instead, Winston turned them on the country itself from the military bunker. Complete black ops style as Winston was a defected government agent.

Details are sketchy but that's the best I can recall. This was well over 6 years ago and no logs exist anymore.
Grinder
An african third world country with nukes?
FanGirl
Was it Tasmania or Tanzania? wink.gif
toturi
Number of actual non-toxic non-mutant non-shedim non-flesh form non-infected non-(insert fav villianous quality) killed(as in dead, not just wounded and bleeding to death): 32

Number of dead toxic/mutant/shedim/blood spirit/etc killed: >100
Pendaric
My name sake is in the 50-100 and counting, my kung fu buddist Decker is zero and hopefully not counting ever. I include these two for the sake of completeness. wink.gif
warrior_allanon
my personal kill count is in excess of 100, of course that includes animals, ghouls, mafia thugs, gangmembers, and other bits of detrius.
Kyoto Kid
...if character background came into play, Leela would be in the >1,000 column since she was a demolitionist in the Croatian Resistance before coming to the UCAS to be a shadowrunner.

As a shadowrunner her two favourite weapons were lots of C12 with radio detonators she triggered using her Transducer implant and Gyrojet Pistol with G+ rounds.

"Think the magic woid and the building will fall down...and you'll win 10,000 nuyen.gif

Paraphrasing Groucho Marx from You Bet Your Life
Kremlin KOA
a game I GMed wins here
the party obliterated a teocali, kiling over amillion from the radioactive fallout and nuclear blast
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Kremlin KOA)
a game I GMed wins here
the party obliterated a teocali, kiling over amillion from the radioactive fallout and nuclear blast

...came close to that in the end of my Rhapsody Campaign when the runners sparked a revolution that ended up in the use of tac nukes. Not quite a million but still a sizable body count in the 100,000+ range.
Telion
More kills than total recall...

like others many characters have been bastards, they do their job and screw over as many people as possible. of course they wrack up the enemies but it keeps the game alive. and the duffle bags of C4 don't help the body count any. Vindictive flaws don't help either.
SuperFly
QUOTE (FanGirl)
Was it Tasmania or Tanzania? wink.gif

I am prety sure it was Tanzania, because the run was done in Africa.
Merlyn
Sorry, totally lost count. Do you included spirits? Invae? Shedim? What about people killed by spirits I summoned?

Plus my favourite spell was Stun Ball, so they could be dead (and usually were) or just short of Deadly Physical. It usually depended on who well they soaked . . .
Critias
>100. By a couple hundreds. There were a few explosions, and that one batch of something icky in a water supply, so exact counts are iffy.
mfb
hey, quit kill-stealing. Italy dropped the icky stuff in the water supply!
Critias
If I kill Italy, do I inherit all his kills? That'd probably push it into the four-digit-number realm.
Raskolnikov
Telnet has never killed anyone. Any other number given would be slander!
SL James
But how many have his drones killed?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012