Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cyberpunk 2020
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
Pages: 1, 2
Moon-Hawk
I like 'deathtrap'.
Kagetenshi
"Bird" is pretty common. "Deathtrap" makes a lot of sense smile.gif

Edit: they were also mostly civvies, IIRC. That might also make a difference.

~J
JongWK
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
For example, consider the percentage of the population that has 1) a halfway decent amount of money and/or health insurance and 2)arthritis. I would assume that all of these people have enhanced articulation. Not to be bad-ass, but just for treatment.

Enhanced Articulation makes you immune to arthritis. cool.gif
eidolon
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Edit: they were also mostly civvies, IIRC. That might also make a difference.

Quite probably. Military jargon is its own category II language. wink.gif
cybertrucker
I will respond to the original posters question. CP2020 and Shadowrun Are both great games both fun to play in and to run. I have played shadowrun on and off since 1st edition first came out and was introduced to CP back in 1992 but was already a big fan of Mekton at the time. I will keep this to what I personally think is better from each game.

Shadowrun first since it is the game I am currently playing. Shadowrun By far has a much better background history and story. MUCH more time, thought and creativity was put into the backhistory of the world. Making the world that much more alive to play a game in. Also character Archetypes in shadowrun all fill a useful role. Alot of CP archetypes were pointless to play, or served no real useful purpose, other than for sheer roleplaying.. and finally the fantasy aspect of shadowrun if you want something like that in your game. Personally I love the blend of Magic and machine, and shadowrun has done a very good job at creating a system that that blend works well with.

Onto CP2020. Overall I honestly have to say that the game system itself is faster, simpler, and easier to run. Which I honestly like. I love the hit location system. It gives a reason why your character might need to go out and invest in that cyber arm other than the fact that I just want the bonus from it. In shadowrun your character can be taken down quickly if their not smart I like the realism that both systems have over the traditional HP system. However I believe that as deadly as Shadowrun can be. CP can be 5 times more deadly. I think they have the best Armor system ever created with their staged penetration. A system that works and is realistic.

So to sum it up. For backstory, character selection and the ability to have magic in the world shadowrun wins in those departments. I would have to give overall game mechanics for simplicity and fun to CP2020. I think alot of the revisions in SR4 actually come from looking at CP2020... with the way apposed tests are handled in combat etc etc. Shadowrun can be kind of burdensome with all the dice. and counting hits.

Both games however are great fun. I developed a magic system for CP a few years back well started developing one I should say. If I was to run the game again though I have thought about alot of ways to update character generation and archetype selection. However right now I will just stick with Shadowrun. I have been running a game every other saturday now since February and my group is having fun.

Mechanics CP
World Shadowrun
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012