Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The false disadvantage
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Charon
SR3 companion was filled with false disadvantge, giving edge points to PC basically for free. Getting Edge points for having enemies, for example. Happy to see that one in particular is gone (for the moment...)

But there is a new reigning king in SR4, IMO.

Uncouth.

Oh, if you have a charisma of 3, uncouth is a disadvantage alright. Can't default and all that. But hey, you paid 20 BP for charisma 3 which you won't be using and got 20 BP for Uncouth so no problems. Should you buy 1 point in a social skill group to mitigate, there goes your 20 BP!

But if you have a charisma of 1... You already can't default. You already are gonna fail every charisma challenge tossed your way. You already ARE uncouth. And you should get an extra 20 BP?

"Hey GM, I have invested no BP whatsoever in charisma or any social skill. As a result I have more BP available to boost my combat abilities. I would like you to reward this behavior by giving me an extra 20 BP."

Hum. I think not. And the double cost for learning social skills is bogus ; we all know the player of an uncouth character has no intention whatsoever to invest in those skills.

As result I'm likely to just ban uncouth for my upcoming campaign. You want to be uncouth and have more physical stats? Flatline charisma, buy no social skills and there you are, completely uncouth.

What do you think?

Infirm and Uneducated can lead to similar situations but with those it's more academic since few players would flatline two or three attributes.
Cynic project
characters who take uncooth, fall into one of two places. They are magic people who are abit crazy and have reasons to take the flaw, or they are dead men walking. Cause guess what, you big hulking troll who can't talk worth shit? Well, there is a bigger meaner troll out there that would want to hurt him, or two or whatever. You as a shadowruner live and die by the fact you can and do understand the social graces of those near by you.
Butterblume
QUOTE (Charon)
And the double cost for learning social skills is bogus ; we all know the player of an uncouth character has no intention whatsoever to invest in those skills.

And you didn't even mention the possibility to use skillwires for social skills despite being uncouth...

In the games I play social interaction is important (getting information, lying to the guards or just talk your way out of the gang war commencing around you...).

James McMurray
If social interaction is not a big place in the game uncouth is broken. If it's a necessary facet of existence uncouth is not worth the points.
Charon
QUOTE (James McMurray @ Jul 29 2006, 03:08 PM)
If social interaction is not a big place in the game uncouth is broken. If it's a necessary facet of existence uncouth is not worth the points.

Neither of these proposition is the point.

The point is if you have a charisma of 1 and no skill, then mechanically Uncouth is a false disadvantage, regardless of the roleplaying style, because it gives 20 BP for free without any significant drawback.

If you invested no BP toward charisma and social skills, you already are hopeless in any social situation and uncouth doesn't significantly change that.

That's my gripe.

Whether or not it is a good idea to be social moron in SR is a different debate.
ShadowDragon
Welcome to the club. I ban Uncouth (among other disadvantages) in my campaign as well.
fool
another disadvantage that is broken is sinner. WIth false sins costing 4000 (less than one build point, why wouldn't everyone take sinner.
Charon
QUOTE (fool @ Jul 29 2006, 04:37 PM)
another disadvantage that is broken is sinner.  WIth false sins costing 4000 (less than one build point, why wouldn't everyone take sinner.

I disagree.

Having a fake SIN doesn't mitigate the disadvantage of having a real SIN.

If anything, the fact that you have a real SIN could compromise your fake one since a verification of your fake SIN could cause the real one to turn up.

No matter how you look at it, somewhere in the system is a complete file about you, from what you look like, your biometrics, your family and basically everything that you have ever done up to the point where you stopped using that SIN and went into the shadows.

That's definitely a drawback. It's one I encourage my players to take if their characters weren't born SINless and they lack any means in their background/contacts and skillset to explain how they could have erased their former SIN.
Jaid
uncouth is one of those advantages where the player should be required to RP it out before getting anything out of it, IMO.

for example, if a character keeps his mouth shut all the time, he isn't uncouth... i personally would require them to spend all the karma they get on removing the uncouth flaw before they get to spend karma on anything else.

essentially, if they have uncouth, and they are not being a disadvantage to the face's efforts simply by being nearby and *not* keeping the mouth shut, then you are absolutely right... they don't deserve the points, and you should charge them the cost of removing it (and possibly give penalties to the face/whoever anyways until they have).

in comparison, if someone just had a charisma of 1 and no social skills, i would have to say that they might just know when to keep their mouth shut. particularly if they have a high intuition score, for example.

however, high intuition brings me to my next point: unable to make social skill checks. well, let's see... what is it that you *resist* social skill checks with? oh that's right... social skill + attribute... and not always is the attribute gonna be charisma either ork.gif so then, it looks to me like your uncouth character is also gonna have to dump willpower... you know, that stat that determines the length of your stun condition monitor? the one that lets you resist spells? the one that is absolutely critical to mages and technomancers, and just slightly less critical to everyone else, for that matter. looks the character may also have to dump intuition to get the benefit you mentioned, since according to the text con is opposed using intuition (the table says charisma though... personally, i think intuition fits better, and would use that, though).

and no matter how many positive modifiers you give to the uncouth person, they still don't get to make a check unless they have the skill. not with a +1 modifier, not with a +10 modifier, not with a +100 modifier.

any BP spent on contacts is also useless, since you won't be getting any social skill checks with them either.

and it gives a point of notoriety, which brings you one step closer to having a public awareness rating...

so overall i would say there's more disadvantages here than you might think. and not *all* social tests are done with charisma =D
James McMurray
QUOTE (Charon)
The point is if you have a charisma of 1 and no skill, then mechanically Uncouth is a false disadvantage, regardless of the roleplaying style, because it gives 20 BP for free without any significant drawback.

True. In that situation being socially unskilled is its own punishment. As the player learns more and more that they'll be sitting out sessions of RPing while they wait for something they can partake in to arrive they may begin to regret their decision. If the campaign is not such that those regrets would arise, uncouth is borken.

nWoD's flaws system is vastly superior to the standard ssytem of "take a flaw, get some build points" IMO. Take all the flaws you want, you don't get any benefits until they actually hinder you somewhow. In this instance, just sitting there quiet wouldn't count, you'd have to actually put your foot in your mouth by reacting liket he wolves that raised you (or whatever your backstory reason for the flaw is).

Hackmaster seems to handle flaws better as well. To my understanding (I haven't read the GM books) each flaw has ideas on how the GM can punish the player for taking it. A few general guidelines here and there to start the creative juices flowing is always better than just "here's the list, do with them as you will."
Samaels Ghost
The examples in hackmaster are okay, but the massive amounts of "BP" that you gain is awful. Being Blind or a Double Amputee shouldn't make you more skilled than other heroes. It's absurd.
James McMurray
I don't know. I've heard being blind enhances your other senses, so if you put the points into Observation it could make sense. Of course, there's nothing in the system that forces it to make sense. That's Hackmaster though. The game is meant to be taken pseudo-seriously. You can ignore the "Gary speak" and have a serious game from it, dive full force into the "GM vs. Player" mentality and have a KoDT game, or meet somewhere in the middle.

Any "flaws for BP" system will have that problem, unless you make it so stringent that it's almost worthless. I suppose one could have the flaws come with their own inherent advantages so every one would be it's own tradeoff (such as blind giving you +2 to nonvisual perception tests, or being an amputee givign you +1 strength with your remaining arm.) That would probably take more work than it's worth though.
Adam
QUOTE (James McMurray)
nWoD's flaws system is vastly superior to the standard ssytem of "take a flaw, get some build points" IMO. Take all the flaws you want, you don't get any benefits until they actually hinder you somewhow. In this instance, just sitting there quiet wouldn't count, you'd have to actually put your foot in your mouth by reacting liket he wolves that raised you (or whatever your backstory reason for the flaw is).

I haven't played nWoD, but I've read the book, and just quickly re-skimmed the relevant section, and wouldn't that be trivially easy to do with SR4 as an optional rule? No points at chargen, but Karma awards for using the flaw in game. The only major problem comes about due the variety of BP values that negative qualities offer in SR4, and balancing them against the amount of Karma given out, since giving more than 2 Karma for roleplaying flaws [on top of other roleplaying bonuses] is likely to get out of hand, especially as roleplaying flaws should obviously already be considered as part of the normal roleplaying Karma bonus.
Samaels Ghost
Yeah, our Uncouth combat hacker has to play his semi-retarded/savant character well or else he doesn't get roleplaying Karma. It's almost unfair the way we've done it. His character is harder to roleplay than everyone else's but he gets no further benfits for actually doing it right. He has to work harder for the same reward. I'm going to have to rethink that as a GM.
James McMurray
Yeah, you can do it with SR4, with the slight problem of flaws being different. Awarding XP based on the amount the flaw interfered could work, although it's incredibly subjective and more work for the GM.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Charon)

If you invested no BP toward charisma and social skills, you already are hopeless in any social situation and uncouth doesn't significantly change that.

I disagree.

Uncouth is always a disadvantage simply because it doubles the cost of social skills and makes defaulting impossible.

Defaulting with 1 CHA is most certainly possible. All you need is a single point of Edge to spend on the longshot test. In fact, if I were going to min-max in a game with few social situations I'd just take Lucky and max out Edge instead of bothering with social skills.

Likewise, should the character choose to increase its social skills the costs would be doubled. But, it is highly unlikely an uncouth character would want to do so, you may respond. My response to tat it unlikely, but possible. The cost of raising skills at low levels is small and the disadvantage of not having social skills is potentially great.

There is such a thing as character growth and devolpment. Uncouth, incompetent, and similar flaws limit character growth. Eventually, a character will max out its primary speciality. If it is built correctly it will start with its primary specialty maxed out (with the xception of mages and technomancers, who can't max out). If the character wants to diversify into the social areana then uncouth is a real hinderance.

hobgoblin
QUOTE ("charon")
Should you buy 1 point in a social skill group to mitigate, there goes your 20 BP!

the book say that you cant buy social skill groups if you have uncouth.

so its each skill at double cost or not at all...
Adam Selene
This isn't a new thing. This is the problem of the 1 Charisma Street Samurai with no etiquette at all. And the problem is usually GM's let the players bullshit FOR their characters. You know the one I'm talking about, the smooth person in real life who could talk his way out of a murder and uses that to get his 1 Charisma character out of trouble.

Use it to your advantage. Isolate the offending character, put him in a situation where he can't shoot his way out and he'd better fucking lie like he was born with a silver tongue.

Rig the roll so that he wins by the skin of his nose, but off-handedly suggest that he should probably try and make up for his abhorrent social skills (maybe make it a point of having whoever was facing him down with 10 dudes with guns point this out as well, like "Jesus, this whole thing could have been avoided if you just weren't such a raging asshole")

....if he does it a second time, well then he's going to die.

Players suck. They will almost always powergame the edge/flaw system. Your job as a GM is to screw them with said flaws. Rare allergy? No problem, they go to new and exotic locales....or biotech greenhouses. Dark Secret? You call it. Players will make up stupid shit like "I shot a man in Reno just to watch him die". But you need something guaranteed to make the players (NOT the characters) sick with disgust, like he's a convicted sex offender or something.

This is a GM fault. Any character that has such a horrible weakness should have it exploited for all its worth. If the GM is completely ignoring it and instead is simply upping his NPC's attribute ratings by a few points to compensate for the increased combat skills of this character they're doing something wrong.
Charon
QUOTE (Jaid)
uncouth is one of those advantages where the player should be required to RP it out before getting anything out of it, IMO.

for example, if a character keeps his mouth shut all the time, he isn't uncouth... i personally would require them to spend all the karma they get on removing the uncouth flaw before they get to spend karma on anything else.

essentially, if they have uncouth, and they are not being a disadvantage to the face's efforts simply by being nearby and *not* keeping the mouth shut, then you are absolutely right... they don't deserve the points, and you should charge them the cost of removing it (and possibly give penalties to the face/whoever anyways until they have).

That's a valid POV but I strongly disaprove of any implication that a Flaw should be roleplayed to truly take effect. It should have a mechanical effect. And as a matter of fact, that is how uncouth is designed.

The BP awarded by the flaws will be use for mechanical advantage, so the flaws should have mechanical disadvantage.

Especially when you consider that roleplaying is never a "punishment". If you roleplay an antisocial character, it's not against your will. Presumably you enjoy it. The mechanics of any game try to insure that no PC overshadow the rest of the team with his capabilities, but the roleplay is just there for fun.

Example : In a campaign I play a seriously vindictive character. After some heroics in favor of a king (swashbuckling campaign), our party is grossly under rewarded. Pissed of about it, my character devise a scheme to steal the best barrels of wine from the King's wine cellar before taking leave from the King's hospitality.

Was this part of the adventure the GM had prepared? No. Did this complicate things for our party? Yeah. Should I get more "BP" for playing a character prone to these kind of actions? Hell no. That crazy wine theft become part of the lore of this campaign. It was hysterical good fun.

How is roleplaying my PC this way a disadvantage? The objective of the game, believe or not, isn't really to save the princess or extract the wage slave. It's to tell a good story. Even if it means your characters sometime fail in their objectives.

So if you play your Shadowrunner as an antisocial prick, it's not a disadvantage. And if it leads to a good story it's worth karma. Conversely if it reduces the enjoyment of the group it's worth a deduction.

But the Uncouth Flaw, as a provider of 20 BP for creation, has to provide a significant drawback to account for these mechanical advantage the PC will get.

however, high intuition brings me to my next point: unable to make social skill checks. well, let's see... what is it that you *resist* social skill checks with? oh that's right... social skill + attribute... and not always is the attribute gonna be charisma either  ork.gif  so then, it looks to me like your uncouth character is also gonna have to dump willpower...

etc.

Good point about Willpower. Guess the Uncouth PC with 1 charisma will have to wait for games to begins and use his first 8 points of Karma to gain Intimidate 1 and get rid of the only real irritant.

Still, 8 points of karma VS 20 BB... More like 4 in fact because this kind of antisocial character would probably want at least one point of Intimidate anyway.
Charon
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Defaulting with 1 CHA is most certainly possible. All you need is a single point of Edge to spend on the longshot test.

Is it stated that you can't make long shot test if unaware?

QUOTE (hobgoblin)
the book say that you cant buy social skill groups if you have uncouth.

so its each skill at double cost or not at all...

True, my bad.
Adam Selene
I kind of think you're skillfully dodging by dismissing "whether it's good to be a social moron and run the shadows" and simply making it a rule mechanics question. If you want to do algebraic equations about min/maxing that's fine, but the rules are there to support the roleplaying game, not the other way around. So to dismiss that key fact (and you'll note I completely ignored your dismissal in my reply) is somewhat dishonest. Not harping on you or anything, but simply calling uncouth "broken" without even examining the roleplay aspect of it is silly.

In my game, someone with 1-2 Charisma and no etiquette is going to die. Plain and simple. If you don't use etiquette/charisma rolls in your game, you're not really utilizing SR to even a marginally beneficial portion of what it's supposed to. Information should get your characters killed. Well, not your character(s), but any character that walks down the street without his more charismatic buddies. Anybody who has uncouth should be afraid to spend downtime outside of the house.
Charon
QUOTE (Adam Selene)
I kind of think you're skillfully dodging by dismissing "whether it's good to be a social moron and run the shadows"

It's bad to be a social moron in the shadows.

Back to the regular program.
Adam Selene
Ok. Regular program: Uncouth = Low Charisma. Low Charisma is a debilitating flaw in the hands of a good GM. In the hands of an uncreative GM, it's a tool for abuse.

Close thread. Back to the regular regular program.
Charon
QUOTE (Adam Selene @ Jul 29 2006, 10:16 PM)
Ok.  Regular program: Uncouth = Low Charisma.  Low Charisma is a debilitating flaw in the hands of a good GM.  In the hands of an uncreative GM, it's a tool for abuse. 

Close thread.  Back to the regular regular program.

rotfl.gif Said with such a sense of entitlement. You got to admire that.

Especially since you write : "Uncouth = Low Charisma".

The whole point since post 1 being that if you have 1 in charisma and no social skill you are by definition uncouth wich means getting 20 BP on top of saving on any Charisma related BP expenditure was silly.

So yeah, "Low Charisma=Uncouth".

See, we agree that it is a dangerous weakness of for a runner to be socially inept. I'm just arguing that a PC with no BP invested in anything social already is Uncouth without the Uncouth quality and that this flaw is hardly worth 20 BP in these case. And since it's expensive to invest in charisma and social skill and counter productive to then take uncouth, I'm guessing most Uncouth user fall in the first categorie. And yeah, I only care about mechanical effect when it comes to the BP value of a flaw. Whatever you buy with those extra BP, it won't be roleplaying advantages!

As for how such a socially inept character could survive without getting smiten by the "creative" GM, well, the same way a runner with low combat capabilities survives. By avoiding as much as possible the situations that he is inept with and relying on his team mates as much as possible to cover for his weakness (and cover for theirs).

Does it always work? No. Is it the end of the PC? Well unless you keep designing contrieved scenario, not really. It can lead to entertaining scenes. To new challenges to overcome. But instant death for cause of Uncouthness? Unless the player or the GM get out of their way to make this happen, it shouldn't be. The point of a RPG isn't to "win" the mission, it's to tell a good story and these small failures due to character's weaknesses is part of it.

And should he get killed in between runs just for "Walking down the street without a more charismatic buddies"? Wow. If that's being creative I'll do without. One of the most popular fiction character on SR board is usually Leon. Damn if he wasn't socially inept but hey, whaddya know, he managed to get his milk without getting shot in between missions.
Adam Selene
Too long, didn't read. Your argument hedges on "You'd have to make contrived scenarios to get this done" and being a raging condescending asshole.

To retort your argument in three words or less: No I don't.

Runner Uncouth needs APDS ammo. Bad. Team doesn't have a Face. It has a Mage with Magic Etiquette, and a Rigger with Corporate Etiquette or Negotiations (Gotta get the most nuyen for your run, after all), and possibly a Decker with Matrix etiquette. Who's he going to talk to? He doesn't have street etiquette. So how the hell is he supposed to get a gun? In my game: He doesn't. In your game I presume that you let him get away with murder of a shopkeeper and a theft of firearms from a licensed weapons dealer that LoneStar doesn't investigate because you can't GM worth crap.

Sure, yes, you can have your other runners do it for him, but they're not likely to get results because they specialized in what was their specialty, not HIS.

Would you like to try and elevate the discourse again, since you started with your brusque garbage about getting "back to a regular program" or would you like to continue behaving like a cock? Either way, I think my tolerance for your "I know I'm right but I'm posting a thread about this anyways..." attitude is at its limit.
Charon
QUOTE (Adam Selene @ Jul 29 2006, 11:55 PM)
Too long, didn't read.  Your argument hedges on "You'd have to make contrived scenarios to get this done" and being a raging condescending asshole.

No it doesn't.

You probably shouldn't accuse me of being a raging condescending asshole in the same sentence you admit to not reading a post before replying.

You probably also shouldn't use quotation mark for a sentence that is nowhere to be found in my post.

Runner Uncouth needs APDS ammo. Bad. Team doesn't have a Face. It has a Mage with Magic Etiquette, and a Rigger with Corporate Etiquette or Negotiations (Gotta get the most nuyen for your run, after all), and possibly a Decker with Matrix etiquette. Who's he going to talk to? He doesn't have street etiquette. So how the hell is he supposed to get a gun?

In my game: He doesn't. In your game I presume that you let him get away with murder of a shopkeeper and a theft of firearms from a licensed weapons dealer that LoneStar doesn't investigate because you can't GM worth crap.

1 - This has nothing to do with what I've been arguing since post 1. Namely that a a character with charisma 1 and no social skill is already uncouth and doesn't deserve 20 additional BP on top of not having spent anything on his social aptitudes.

2 - Did I, at any point, said I would let a low charisma character get away with murder?

3 - That is a contrived scenario. A team where no one knows a good arm dealer or decent fixer, and where none of the team mates beside the socially inept is able to broker a street deal? Dude, there are more problems in this team than just one member who is dislikable! Everyone in this team must be street stupid.

Would you like to try and elevate the discourse again, since you started with your brusque garbage about getting "back to a regular program" or would you like to continue behaving like a cock? Either way, I think my tolerance for your "I know I'm right but I'm posting a thread about this anyways..." attitude is at its limit.

My, my. Touchy.

But my own cavalier reply was triggered by the fact that you kept running around the argument to get into, well, this! In the previous post before the "back to regular program" you almost bragged that you ignored my point.

To quote

So to dismiss that key fact (and you'll note I completely ignored your dismissal in my reply) is somewhat dishonest.

At least I addressed it (not the same as "dismissing").

Get off the freaking "I'm such a creative GM" high horse and realize that what you are saying has nothing to do with post number one. Never has.

Everything you say about Uncouth character applies just as well to anyone with charisma 1 and no social skill.

So, do these characters, who in your creative hand would suffer just as much even without the uncouth quality, deserve another extra 20 BP or not?
FanGirl
We can only hope that this is a sign that DS is growing its teeth back. biggrin.gif

Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight!
Glyph
Personally, I wouldn't worry so much about the flaw. It gives serious in-game disadvantages, so it's not "free points" even for a low-charisma character - because even someone with a charisma of 1 could still spend 4 measly build points to get etiquette: 1 with a street specialization. That's the real min-maxing - spending juuust enough on social skills to be "safe". With flaws limited to 35 points, and all of the other restrictions on character generation, it's not like taking this flaw will turn a player into an unstoppable munchkin.

If someone takes the Uncouth flaw, they either want to roleplay it, or they are solely combat-focused and are not interested the wheeling and dealing. In the first case, it's not cheesy, since they will actually be playing the flaw out. In the second case, what's the big deal? Let the player play the type of character he wants to! If the uncouth flaw is fatal in your games, then either tell the player ahead of time, or ban it from your game. The flaw should come up occasionally, but the GM shouldn't be using contrived situations to punish the player - it's supposed to be a game, played for fun.

Heck, try to see it as a challenge. Maybe you can make your NPCs and social situations interesting enough that the player of the uncouth character will get tired of watching from the sidelines, and will try to either buy off the flaw or get some social skills.

Now... there is one exception to the above. Some of the players who disdain social skills will take this flaw for the same reason they took it, and the vindictive flaw, in SR3 - because they will use it as an excuse to turn roleplaying enounters into combat encounters by being abrasive and offensive. Such cases should be treated the same way you would treat any other disruptive behavior in your games.
Adam
QUOTE (FanGirl)
We can only hope that this is a sign that DS is growing its teeth back. biggrin.gif

Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight!

How about not? I was beginning to enjoy the boards again.
BishopMcQ
Fangirl--please don't bait them.

Charon/Adam Selene--you are both in agreement that it is detrimental to a player to have a low charisma score and no social skills, right?

The argument following seems to stem from the ramifications of taking the negative quality.

Low charisma individuals can be uncouth (note the lack of capitalization to signify the adjective rather than the Quality) or they can simply be socially inept, perhaps not knowing what to say, how to say it etc.

Characters who are Uncouth, suffer the same role playing problems as uncouth characters, but it is a much more obvious problem. The fact that they cannot default on tests and must pay additional karma costs is a mechanical disadvantage.

Beyond that we need to look at the descriptive text which describes the two characters from a RP perspective, which is often deemed to be equally important to the discussion of qualities.

SR4 p. 61 (A low Charisma Character)
A whiny demeanor, a me-first attitude, or an inability to read body language or subtle hints are just a few traits that can give a character low Charisma.

SR4 p. 83 (An Uncouth Character)
Uncouth characters are antisocial or sociopathic and have a difficult time interacting with others.

Given the descriptive text, I would say that a low charisma character with the Uncouth flaw is the type of runner that you wouldn't bring to the meet. You'd leave him in the van where he can't hurt negotiations.

Examples:
A pencil pushing lab aide, who knows how to recombine DNA but couldn't pick up a date at the bar--Low charisma and a lack of social skills.

A pencil pushing lab aide, who drugs his date at the bar to make her easily swayed to leave--Low charisma character who is Uncouth.

By taking the step from fumbling in social circumstance to psychotically driven and manipulating social circumstance, the low charisma character becomes Uncouth.

Obviously, there are times when the use of sedatives are required in an unwillful extraction, but an anti-social or psychotic individual would use inappropriate, possibly dangerous, means to fulfill his/her own objectives in place of the proper social forms.
Charon
QUOTE (Glyph @ Jul 30 2006, 12:37 AM)
Personally, I wouldn't worry so much about the flaw.  It gives serious in-game disadvantages, so it's not "free points" even for a low-charisma character - because even someone with a charisma of 1 could still spend 4 measly build points to get etiquette: 1 with a street specialization.  That's the real min-maxing - spending juuust enough on social skills to be "safe".  With flaws limited to 35 points, and all of the other restrictions on character generation, it's not like taking this flaw will turn a player into an unstoppable munchkin.

Well, I'm not sure I agree 100% but at least you are adressing the topic (thank god!).

But I'd argue that a guy who takes Uncouth and then buy just one or two rank here and there of basic social skill is kinda shooting himself in the foot because he's "wasting" the points he earned by taking Uncouth in the first place. I'm not sure how likely such a behavior would be though I have no experience to back this assessment.

If someone takes the Uncouth flaw, they either want to roleplay it, or they are solely combat-focused and are not interested the wheeling and dealing.  In the first case, it's not cheesy, since they will actually be playing the flaw out.  In the second case, what's the big deal?  Let the player play the type of character he wants to!  If the uncouth flaw is fatal in your games, then either tell the player ahead of time, or ban it from your game.  The flaw should come up occasionally, but the GM shouldn't be using contrived situations to punish the player - it's supposed to be a game, played for fun.

Yes, but on the first point I repeat what I said before, I don't think roleplaying comes into evaluating a flaw. A guy wants to roleplay abrasive, let him do so. When you don't separate roleplaying from mechanics you end up with silly flaws like "Code of Honor".

For the second point, I agree and sure, I let my players be whatever they want. I just don't feel a guy who decides to focus on a combat machine with no social grace deserve an extra 20 BP for uncouth while a guy who focuses on being a good hacker doesn't get extra BP. He's already gonna be tougher than the team by virtue of having "wasted" no points in social graces, no need for more.

As you said, it's supposed to be fun and in my mind one of the key is some balance. To make sure the combat monster doesn't outstrip the more casual fighter of the team by too big a margin is a small part of it.

Heck, try to see it as a challenge.  Maybe you can make your NPCs and social situations interesting enough that the player of the uncouth character will get tired of watching from the sidelines, and will try to either buy off the flaw or get some social skills.

Well, that is good advice. And I guess I don't do too bad because only the newest members ever try to pull that no charisma, all muscle routine in any of my games. The regular are always more balanced. But there's always room for improvement.

Now... there is one exception to the above.  Some of the players who disdain social skills will take this flaw for the same reason they took it, and the vindictive flaw, in SR3 - because they will use it as an excuse to turn roleplaying enounters into combat encounters by being abrasive and offensive.  Such cases should be treated the same way you would treat any other disruptive behavior in your games.

Amen.

Dealt with swiftly, and usually in a one on one chat.
Charon
QUOTE (McQuillan @ Jul 30 2006, 12:49 AM)
Charon/Adam Selene--you are both in agreement that it is detrimental to a player to have a low charisma score and no social skills, right?

Glad you noticed.

Characters who are Uncouth, suffer the same role playing problems as uncouth characters, but it is a much more obvious problem. The fact that they cannot default on tests and must pay additional karma costs is a mechanical disadvantage

With charisma 1, your default would be 0 anyway so it's all the same.

Except that a poster mentioned earlier the good point that you can make a long shot in that case. Can you make a long shot in a skill that with a rating of "unaware"? No answer yet and perhaps none are in the book. If you can't, that does increase the value of Uncouth.

The other disadvantge, double karma cost, does it come into play in your campaign?

Anyone seen a guy with uncouth actually invest karma at double cost in social skills? It would not seem very likely to me.
FanGirl
QUOTE (Adam)
QUOTE (FanGirl @ Jul 30 2006, 12:24 AM)

Fight!  Fight!  Fight!  Fight!

How about not? I was beginning to enjoy the boards again.

I know that you're probably not going to believe me, but I'll say it anyway: I was being tongue-in-cheek. A surprising number of people on here are complaining that DS has "gone soft" - as if getting buried in flames was a good thing - and I was simply poking some fun at those people. Believe me, if I really wanted to fan the flames, I would jump in and start swinging myself.
Charon
QUOTE (FanGirl @ Jul 30 2006, 01:14 AM)
I was simply poking some fun at those people.

Hasn't your mama taught you not to poke the bear?
BishopMcQ
"Unaware" means that a success test may be required to perform certain tasks that most people take for granted and the skill cannot be defaulted on. (See SR4, p. 108 Skill ratings table and SR4, p. 82 Incompetent)

The example given for social skills is a hermit. Individuals who have spent the last several years in solitary confinement or suffered sensory deprivation during their formative years would be appropriate.

While the double karma cost does not come into play in my campaign, I've never had one of my players take Uncouth. My players put Uncouth side by side with Uneducated. (The second has the same mechanical qualities, except that it applies to knowledge skills rather than social ones.) Both of these negative qualities need to be explained in the runner's background and will come up.

From an SR3 perspective, I actually saw more Uncouth deckers than sams. The sam needs to be able to buy guns, ammunition and cyberware, and in general the sellers of these goods in the black market are not the type of fellows you want to pick a fight with. On the other hand, a smart frame isn't going to care that you were rude and failed to follow the social script. It only cares if your orders can compute.
Aaron
Just for fun and because I can search my copy of SR4...

The following specific actions cannot be performed by an Uncouth character, per the rules in your hymnal. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list, but rather a compilation of tests described in the rule book that explicitly require a Social Skill.
  • Con someone
  • Resist a Con attempt
  • Defeat a voice recognition system with Voice Control (adept power)
  • Ease someone's suspicions
  • Negate a social gaff
  • Teach
  • Intimidate someone
  • Resist intimidation
  • Lead others
  • Resist being lead
  • Negotiate anything with someone
  • Resist a negotiator
  • Notice if someone is lying
  • Get information from a reluctant contact
  • Haggle a discount with a contact
  • Get a favor with a rating higher than a contact's Loyalty Rating
  • Purchase a controlled item on the black market
  • Fence gear
Most other things, I imagine, are fair game.
ShadowDragon8685
Ummmm. I'm not going to claim you're wrong on the list, but...

It seems stupid, to me. An Uncouth character is the epitome of rude and obnoxious. Why would he listen to what some silver-tongued cocklicker has to say? (Such as being negotiated with, or being lead.) I would say he would automatically resist such things - without any say as to whether he wants to resist or not.
JonathanC
I personally don't consider the mechanical aspect of Uncouth to be worth 20 points...frankly, most groups have one guy do the majority of their talking, so having one dude who can't talk to anyone without offending them isn't really that big of a problem. You leave his ass in the car when you go to your meets, and he's got 20 free points.

The real disadvantage is if the person roleplays as a complete asshole. Which is, generally speaking, a detriment to the play experience of the group (in my experience, anyway). So I just don't allow it in my games.
Charon
QUOTE (JonathanC @ Jul 30 2006, 03:09 AM)
The real disadvantage is if the person roleplays as a complete asshole. Which is, generally speaking, a detriment to the play experience of the group (in my experience, anyway). So I just don't allow it in my games.

Many people roleplay like complete asshole no matter what their stats are.

And nothing stops you to play your uncouth character like Leon The professional.

This isn't the real disadvantage.

And your extended list of things an Uncouth character can't do also apply to someone with charisma 1 and no social skills. Except for the resist intimidation and being led part.

You leave his ass in the car when you go to your meets, and he's got 20 free points.

Basically, yes.

---

Since the start of the thread some posters have made me realize that an Uncouth character will also have trouble with resisting intimidation and might be unable to make long shots using his edge on any social skills.

So I'll now have to admit that if you have charisma 1 and no social skills, the Uncouth quality isn't entirely harmless, which I didn't realize before starting the thread. But it's not really worth more than 5 BP either, IMO.

Conskill
QUOTE (Charon)
Many people roleplay like complete asshole no matter what their stats are.

And nothing stops you to play your uncouth character like Leon The professional.

The part of this thread that confuses me is that people seem to be taking Unaware way too lightly.

If you're Unaware about firearms, you've never seen a gun in your life. No concept of all about how they work.
If you're Unaware about driving, you haven't seen a car in your life. No concept at all about how they work.
If you're Unaware about every social skill in the game...he has no concept at all about how they work. Your character is either an idiot savant or has a case of Anti-Social Personality Disorder from Hell.

At least what I read into it, it isn't "Unaware = Asshole," it's flat out mental disability. If someone tells the character, "Hello!" the character might think the best answer is to take his pants off and hump the man's leg.

If the GM enforces that being Unaware in social skills is just as much ignorance as being Unaware in any other skill, I think you could make a case for more than 5 BP.
Glyph
@Charon:
One little misunderstanding on the first part you quoted. I meant someone taking Charisma of 1 and etiquette/street: 1(+2) instead of the uncouth flaw. And it also should have been 6 build points for that, not 4.

Now, as far as characters with the uncouth flaw being unable to resist con or intimidation attempts, I would beg to differ. They still get the Attribute to resist. Saying they can't resist is like saying someone with Incompetent/Pistols can't dodge pistol bullets. It's bad enough that they are stuck rolling an Attribute against someone rolling skill + Attribute, not to mention that the Attribute in question for 3 of the 5 resisted social skills is Charisma, which will generally be low for an uncouth character.

Also, "antisocial or sociopathic and have a difficult time interacting with others" does not mean "humps people on the leg and takes dumps in the middle of the street". There are three archetypes included in the book that have the uncouth flaw - the bounty hunter, the enforcer, and the hacker. Of the three, the first two would probably fit the sociopathic category, and the hacker would be more likely to be in the antisocial category. But they still seem to be able to have a few working contacts, and function on the fringes of society - they are hobbled, but not utterly crippled.

**NOTE FOR GMS**
Be careful about two of these archetypes - for both the enforcer and the hacker, they forgot that the uncouth flaw doubles the cost of social skills at character creation. For the hacker, that's merely 6 build points over, but the enforcer is a whopping 26 build points over.
James McMurray
If dodging bullets were "Reaction + Pistols" it would be the same. I can see it from both sides, and having resisting social rolls be counted as skill checks definitely makes the flaw a beating for anyone that takes it, even the 1 charisma guy with no social skills.
hobgoblin
p. 108 uses the word "hermit" to give a quick example about a person thats unaware in the area of social skills.

that makes me think of the classical hermit that will call a spade a spade even if he is talking to royalty. i would say that the 20 point is a indication that they have gone for effective rather then polite.

the hacker would be someone you would not want to handle user assist phone calls. be an ass or idiot and he will most likely call you on it and then hang up...
Conskill
I considered the Hermit a pretty bad example, since that's not remotely in the same league as some of the other examples. For example, I'm not sure precisely how someone in the Sixth World ends up never having seen a pistol in his life, but it probably involved head trauma.

One of the interesting contradictions of SR4, I suppose. Sometimes Unaware seems to indicate a profound gap in basic knowledge, and othertimes...not so much.
Glyph
But personally, I don't think it makes sense for uncouth to mean "can't resist being fast-talked or intimidated". That doesn't fit any of the archetypes with the flaw, and "hacker" is like "street samurai" - it's one of the major character types. So would the bounty hunter drop to his knees and put his hands behind his head when the elderly mall security guard points his light pistol at him and orders him to surrender, since he can't resist intimidation? Would the hacker (assuming a hetero one) walk out of the bar with the three gay S&M trolls, since he can't resist seduction?
Charon
Okay so... back to being Uncouth changes nothing at all for a PC with charisma 1 and no social skills, or what?

Well, at any rate it's pretty clear that I'll just ban it for my upcoming campaign.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Conskill @ Jul 31 2006, 01:13 AM)
I considered the Hermit a pretty bad example, since that's not remotely in the same league as some of the other examples.  For example, I'm not sure precisely how someone in the Sixth World ends up never having seen a pistol in his life, but it probably involved head trauma.

One of the interesting contradictions of SR4, I suppose.  Sometimes Unaware seems to indicate a profound gap in basic knowledge, and othertimes...not so much.

i dont think its so much knowing that they exist or how they look, but totaly unaware about how to even basicly operate one. ie, what the safety is, that you pull the trigger to fire it and so on.

i can see that happen if you live a remote or sheltered life, and maybe dont develop a interest in them. in that respect, its equaly hard to be a full time hermit in SR, atleast if your living in a urban enviroment.

thats why it takes a special requirement to drop below 0 in a skill wink.gif

as for charon's question about it not changing anything for someone at charisma 1 ad zero and no skills?

i would say it does as it makes it much more expensive to get said skills (remember, you cant buy the groups. its each individual skill or not at all), and buying up the charisma stat dont help as you cant default on the skills.

so while it may be a shot term gain, it can be a long term disadvantage.

it allso depends on the group your in. in a group where you have a face that does all the talking, and the gm never puts the uncouth character in a situation where social skills are needed, then yes it gives an advantage. but i would say a gm should note any disadvantage the charaters take, and try to work them into the game ever so often.

edit: oops, didnt check the book. it actualy says that one have never seen a gun before. well, i guess i have to agree then. they have some bad examples. alltho couch potato sounds like a good description of someone thats unaware, willfully or otherwise, when it comes to training.

hmm, that willfully part may be the key. they being unaware may often be just as much about choice as about anything else. as in the person may have some religious or other reason to avoid guns, cars or whatever. i think its more a case of bad wording when using "never seen" as a descriptor for the unaware state.
Rami
I think its a big penalty personally, I'd rather take uneducated since you usually can't default on technical skills and individual rolls based on technical skill are way less likely to come up. But then I guess I'm used to GMs who make individual social rolls a part of the game.

An example of an individual social skill roll would be as simple as the first impression when you walk into a meeting with a Mr. Johnson. A more important roll would be trying to get through a checkpoint. That presents individual fake ID/License + charisma + skill rolls that a samurai with 1 charisma and no etiquette could still manage through with good enough fakes. A uncouth character cannot.

But I guess as a GM if you're not going to make charisma and social skills matter that much, you're right. Uncouth isn't much of a disadvantage as long as you're the GM. I wouldn't just change uncouth though. I'd also alter the cost for raising charisma and social skills, otherwise players that do raise them might feel cheated once the campaign starts if they're not familiar with your GM style.
Glyph
QUOTE (Charon)
Okay so...  back to being Uncouth changes nothing at all for a PC with charisma 1 and no social skills, or what?

Well, at any rate it's pretty clear that I'll just ban it for my upcoming campaign.

Assuming that the said character with 1 Charisma and no social skills stays that way for the entire campaign, and is never motivated to improve either, yes. And if such a character can function that way, and have little or no problems, then maybe uncouth is an inappropriate flaw for your campaign.

Because the main reason uncouth, uneducated, and infirm are such high point flaws is that they cripple the character in an entire category of skills. The way I see it, the character may be designed with a concept that doesn't need those particular skills (infirm technomancer, uneducated adept from the barrens, uncouth cybered killing machine), but having such a gaping hole in the character's potential is worth the points. To me, it is worth the points because it is so easy to max out your specialty at character generation - subsequent improvements will more often be lateral ones, so something that curtails your options should be worth a few piddly build points to start with. And even at the start, being ignorant of a wide range of skills will hinder the character. The aforementioned technomancer who can't dodge, the adept who can't operate a public dataterminal, the cyborg who can't get the Johnson to up his initial offer, etc.
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (Glyph @ Jul 30 2006, 07:18 PM)
But personally, I don't think it makes sense for uncouth to mean "can't resist being fast-talked or intimidated".  That doesn't fit any of the archetypes with the flaw, and "hacker" is like "street samurai" - it's one of the major character types.  So would the bounty hunter drop to his knees and put his hands behind his head when the elderly mall security guard points his light pistol at him and orders him to surrender, since he can't resist intimidation?  Would the hacker (assuming a hetero one) walk out of the bar with the three gay S&M trolls, since he can't resist seduction?

I don't think that's an inability to resist seduction so much as it was a failure to resist intimidation. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012