Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Street Magic Previews
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Serbitar
Page 6-19, thats really what was needed since a couple of years. Way to go!
Ancient History
wink.gif You're in for a treat.
Adam
For a second this post made me think that I had accidentally uploaded pages 6-19 ... wink.gif
Taki
It's nasty from you Adam : the more we have, the more addicted we are !!!
I want my boooooook! love.gif
Going to sleep and to dream about it
Ophis
I'm intruiged by pages 58 to 61. Advanced metamagic, could be interesting.

Also very interested to see the rest of the traditions.
WorkOver
Gesa, ordeals, more adept powers, OMFG great news for adepts!
Samaels Ghost
MCT Research team 13 really stands out. biggrin.gif
Samaels Ghost
DAMN! This looks great! It's like you're stealing my money! I thought magic couldn't be used through technological devices....but I MUST BUY THIS
Brahm
QUOTE (Adam @ Aug 2 2006, 05:54 PM)
For a second this post made me think that I had accidentally uploaded pages 6-19 ... wink.gif

The file I got off the web page is about 190 pages long. Is that what was suppose to be up there?

silly.gif

Oh-oh, I see a new active Skill. nyahnyah.gif Arcana is a Knowledge Skill, right? That's ok, but I really didn't want to see a new active Skill. Oh well.

I already like the listing of the sidebars in the TOC. Yeah! Not just the actual contents of that list, not to downplay my hope that I'm correct assuming a definative sorting out of Elemental damage spell LOS finally, but that the listing of the sidebars is actually there. Obviously there are alot of sidebars in the book, judging from the list. It's great to have them listed so you can find them a lot easier for referencing them.

From the page count it looks like Manipulation spell catagory is becoming the 900 lb gorrila, again. But the Detection page count is pretty high now too, even higher than Manipulation. Are those just spells, or does the Detection section have a bit more discussion about how to work those spells since they can be tricky?

Now off to check out the sample text....
knasser
I got my table of contents! A blessing and a curse! Just let me buy the fucking thing already! Please?

And pg. 39. Just gimme pg. 39!

Edit: And pg. 46 too. wink.gif

Edit: INSECT SPIRITS! I need the insect spirit rules. Can I add pg. 148-154 too?

Edit: Pg. 94. Long Term Binding. That's what I want!
Demerzel
So when the PDF does come out, where is the reccomended site to buy from? I thought I read somewhere that some of them allow you to book mark and annotate, but others don't...
Brahm
QUOTE (knasser @ Aug 2 2006, 06:20 PM)
Edit: And pg. 46 too. wink.gif

Madness? eek.gif wink.gif

I'm curious as to what exactly a 'Task' spirit is. Is that like a Watcher, only it actually does something other than fly around and screech? For those that haven't noticed they are listed for the Manipulation catagory of the Hedge Witchcraft tradition at the end of the Shinto file.

I also noticed that there are 5 pages of new spirit powers. That seems like a lot of new powers. Especially for only about 2 pages of new spirits. Although an exact count is difficult to determine from a TOC, that could be as few as 6 or 7 new spirit types. It doesn't look like it includes toxic or invae though as there are sections for those in other chapters.
the_dunner
If recent history is any indicator of future performance, then drivethrurpg.com puts a little more security on their PDFs than some of the other sites that FanPro deals with. (They're definitely the only ones that watermark.)
Adam
QUOTE (Demerzel @ Aug 2 2006, 06:29 PM)
So when the PDF does come out, where is the reccomended site to buy from?  I thought I read somewhere that some of them allow you to book mark and annotate, but others don't...

If you want the ability to re-bookmark the PDF, add other pages to it, etc, then BattleCorps or RPGNow are your best choices.

BattleCorps will probably be doing some sort of print+PDF bundle as well.

[Buying stuff on BattleCorps probably also encourages them to work on HoloStreets more, too ... wink.gif]

Edit: I believe Paizo.com watermarks their ebooks as well, and DriveThruRPG certainly does.
Kalvan
The funny thing is, two major Japanese magical traditions (Omnyodo and Shugendo), both far more conductive to Coproprate Culture (even Japanese Corporate Culture) than Shinto or Buddhist theurgy, are missing. The absense of the former is especially baffling, as it's experiencing a wave of popularity in Japanese pop culture even as we speak.

Oh, well. One can always try to homebrew it. :shrug:
hobgoblin
hmm, growing up awakend? where have i seen that title before?

all in all im just as exited as all the others on this thread!
KosherPickle
Putting the Sidebars into the Table of Contents is an excellent idea.
SL James
QUOTE (Adam)
[Buying stuff on BattleCorps probably also encourages them to work on HoloStreets more, too ... wink.gif]

So would kidnapping their loved ones.
knasser
QUOTE (Adam)

If you want the ability to re-bookmark the PDF, add other pages to it, etc, then BattleCorps or RPGNow are your best choices.

BattleCorps will probably be doing some sort of print+PDF bundle as well.

Darn it. I bought all of my PDFs (quite a few) from DriveThruRPG. I never realised there were other formats out there. I don't have a problem with the watermarking, but the ability to bookmark my PDFs would be nice. I also have problems printing some of the Shadowrun pdfs from there as some of the pictures do not appear. Has anyone else had this problem from another site, or is it perculiar to DriveThru?

Oh yeah - pg. 146.: Shadow Spirits. I don't know what they are but I feel an Evil GM mode coming on. Heh!
SL James
Meh. They could be the Shadow free spirits for all we know. I do have my doubts, though.

I do find it odd that Kenson gets mad props but the author of the first two Grimoire sourcebooks that served as the foundation for SR's magic was not mentioned.

Combat: Earth
Detection: Water
Health: Plant
Illusion: Air
Manipulation: Task

Task Spirits?!

[edit]Damn, I missed Brahm's post where he already caught it.[/edit]
knasser
QUOTE (SL James @ Aug 2 2006, 07:15 PM)

Task Spirits?!

Hmmm. I think skill or ability focused spirits. Maybe they're like gnomes and faerie cobblers and all that stuff. It's the association with the Witchcraft tradition that makes me think so.

Hmmmm - "I summon the Dish-washing faeries, Force 8."

Heh. Now that would be worth studying magic for. wink.gif
hobgoblin
heh, watchers on steroids?

hmm, black magic and chaos magic as solid traditions. interesting smokin.gif
Demonseed Elite
QUOTE (Kalvan)
The funny thing is, two major Japanese magical traditions (Omnyodo and Shugendo), both far more conductive to Coproprate Culture (even Japanese Corporate Culture) than Shinto or Buddhist theurgy, are missing. The absense of the former is especially baffling, as it's experiencing a wave of popularity in Japanese pop culture even as we speak.

Onmyodo, when it comes to the rules, can basically be seen as a Japanese off-shoot of the Wuxing tradition. It makes heavy use of the Chinese five elements, the relationship of yin and yang, geomancy, and ordered cosmology. Mechanically, it would have been difficult to make it different enough from Wuxing to justify its inclusion over other traditions. But if you don't feel the Wuxing tradition covers it well enough, you can definitely homebrew it.

Similarly, I'd consider Shugendo close enough to the Buddhist tradition in its techniques. Buddha is very important in Shugendo, as is the focus on sutras, mandalas, and asceticism.
Thanee
Finally! Very much looking forward to this book. smile.gif

Bye
Thanee
Kalvan
Another set of Traditions I don't see are the Elven Ways and Paths of the Wheel (from Tir na n'Og).

I realise that their use by PCs would mean those practitioners would be initiating in the Lolipop Guild, but I think they deserve at least some mention. (Especially as the Aztec tradition has gotten its own writup in the book)
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Demonseed Elite)
QUOTE (Kalvan @ Aug 2 2006, 06:43 PM)
The funny thing is, two major Japanese magical traditions (Omnyodo and Shugendo), both far more conductive to Coproprate Culture (even Japanese Corporate Culture) than Shinto or Buddhist theurgy, are missing.  The absense of the former is especially baffling, as it's experiencing a wave of popularity in Japanese pop culture even as we speak.

Onmyodo, when it comes to the rules, can basically be seen as a Japanese off-shoot of the Wuxing tradition. It makes heavy use of the Chinese five elements, the relationship of yin and yang, geomancy, and ordered cosmology. Mechanically, it would have been difficult to make it different enough from Wuxing to justify its inclusion over other traditions. But if you don't feel the Wuxing tradition covers it well enough, you can definitely homebrew it.

Similarly, I'd consider Shugendo close enough to the Buddhist tradition in its techniques. Buddha is very important in Shugendo, as is the focus on sutras, mandalas, and asceticism.

heh, if you want to be rude you may say that the japanese have ripped of the chinese in every way possible when it comes to culture silly.gif
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Kalvan)
Another set of Traditions I don't see are the Elven Ways and Paths of the Wheel (from Tir na n'Og).

I realise that their use by PCs would mean those practitioners would be initiating in the Lolipop Guild, but I think they deserve at least some mention. (Especially as the Aztec tradition has gotten its own writup in the book)

look again, there is a "the path of the wheel" entry for page 40...
Kalvan
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
QUOTE (Kalvan @ Aug 3 2006, 02:48 AM)

I realise that their use by PCs would mean those practitioners would be initiating in the Lolipop Guild, but I think they deserve at least some mention.  (Especially as the Aztec tradition has gotten its own writup in the book)

embarrassed.gif
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Kalvan)
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Aug 2 2006, 07:51 PM)
QUOTE (Kalvan @ Aug 3 2006, 02:48 AM)

I realise that their use by PCs would mean those practitioners would be initiating in the Lolipop Guild, but I think they deserve at least some mention.  (Especially as the Aztec tradition has gotten its own writup in the book)

embarrassed.gif

hehe, nothing to be ashamed of. that content list is so above all expectations that its easy to miss stuff. still, i never expected them to drop something as vital to the SR world as the elfs own magical tradition wink.gif
Kalvan
I take it then this book doesn't have any shadowtalk in it. Well, it looks so juicy I guess they have to leave something out.

Still, I think they could have put in some banter. :shrugs:
hobgoblin
while i cant speak for pre-grimoire2, the only magic book i know of that had shadowtalk was awakenings...
Adam
QUOTE (Kalvan)
I take it then this book doesn't have any shadowtalk in it. Well, it looks so juicy I guess they have to leave something out.

Still, I think they could have put in some banter. :shrugs:

I'm not sure what you're basing your conclusion on, but there is IC text and shadowtalk in the book.
Kesh
Looks like Psionics got relegated to the "Magical Oddities" section. Meh. Then again, Miracles are in there too. I just hope it's something actually playable this time.
WhiskeyMac
I love Psionics but in 3rd edition they were basically retarded hermetic mages. That pissed me off. They could have done so much more with them.
Brahm
Task Spirits?!

That's ok. Your responce is more colourful, and perhaps more appropriate. Like, don't all spirits do tasks? biggrin.gif
Zolhex
Lots of good stuff and people want all kinds of pages some more than one page.

For now there are 3 pages I'd like to see but the most important to me is page 50 as initiation is what I wish to do with my character at this time and have held off doing so because of this book.
BishopMcQ
**Patiently awaits the section on Voodoo and expansion on Possession rules**

Synner
Oh-oh, I see a new active Skill.  Arcana is a Knowledge Skill, right? That's ok, but I really didn't want to see a new active Skill. Oh well.

Sorry to break it to you but both are Active Skills. We could have made Enchanting a full blown Skill Group though, so don't be too down.

QUOTE (Brahm @ Aug 3 2006, 04:22 AM)
Task Spirits?!

Actually, spirits perform services nyahnyah.gif.

I don't think it's too much of a give-away at this point to say that Street Magic rounds out the number of basic spirits that traditions can conjure to 10. We have no plans on adding any further. As those looking closely will have gathered the 4 new types include Task and Plant - the two other types are Guidance and Guardian spirits. All official traditions use 5 of those 10 spirits in their magical correspondences.

At this point it should also be obvious why Street Magic took a little extra time to playtest and hammer into shape. The book covers a boat-load of material and there was plenty of stuff left over.

Unlike previous editions SR4 (and Street Magic) intends to keep special case rules to a minimum and the mechanics as streamlined as possible. For an idea of where we're going with Voodoo and other Possession-based traditions, check the Tradition Overview pdf under "Possession-based Traditions" header.

Looks like Psionics got relegated to the "Magical Oddities" section. Meh. Then again, Miracles are in there too. I just hope it's something actually playable this time.

Actually, Psionics has always been in the Magical Oddities sections (all the way back to the Grimoires).
SL James
QUOTE (knasser)

Task Spirits?!

Hmmm. I think skill or ability focused spirits. Maybe they're like gnomes and faerie cobblers and all that stuff. It's the association with the Witchcraft tradition that makes me think so.

Hmmmm - "I summon the Dish-washing faeries, Force 8."

Heh. Now that would be worth studying magic for. wink.gif

SR's had fairies like that for a while. But they are something different from spirits.

QUOTE (Brahm)
Task Spirits?!

That's ok. Your responce is more colourful, and perhaps more appropriate. Like, don't all spirits do tasks? biggrin.gif

I thought so. Apparently, I was wrong.
Casper
Wow I didnt know that people were still into Atari Teenage Riot. Alex Empire had some good solo jungle albums too.

Inspiration: Atari Teenage Riot and
Muted Logic (dev-editing music)
Synner
The boss is wierd that way.
Brahm
QUOTE (Synner @ Aug 3 2006, 03:18 AM)
QUOTE (Brahm @ Aug 3 2006, 04:22 AM)
Task Spirits?!

That's ok. Your responce is more colourful, and perhaps more appropriate. Like, don't all spirits do tasks? biggrin.gif [EDIT]original text editted into Synner's post for clarity.

Actually, spirits perform services nyahnyah.gif.

QUOTE (SR4 BBB @ page 177)
A service is a single continuous task the
summoner demands or requests from a spirit (depending
on her tradition);

nyahnyah.gif wink.gif
Cynic project
QUOTE (McQuillan)

Don't get your hopes up, i heard they royally screwed up this one.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Cynic project)
QUOTE (McQuillan @ Aug 3 2006, 12:41 AM)

may i ask for a source please?
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Cynic project)
QUOTE (McQuillan @ Aug 3 2006, 12:41 AM)

Really, do you?

QUOTE (Street Magic @ p. 34, Posession-based Traditions)
Some traditions believe in spirits that are invisible and intangible forces which project into the physical world through the power of Possession rather than Materialization. This understanding of the spirit world is part of the tradition’s loreand integral to the magics used to summon and bind spirits.
As such, all spirits conjured by magicians of a possession-basedmagical tradition replace the Materialization power in the spirits’ statistics with Possession. Otherwise, all normal rules for summoned or bound spirits remain in effect. For more details on Possession, see p. 101.
Cynic project
QUOTE (WhiskeyMac)
I love Psionics but in 3rd edition they were basically retarded hermetic mages. That pissed me off. They could have done so much more with them.

Psionics don't work in the shadowrun worl any different than some hermetics do anyways. Oh they see it as science..But they still basically do the same thing.

Psionics explain their magical powers using "science". Sound just like some Hermetics to me.

So i am basically saying that psionics should just get some flavor text and be happy with it. Hell I do not even know if you could give them a list of spirits and what these used their spirits top do what..I mean the spirit list of air,plant,beast,fire and man could fit a psionic just as well, as man,task,plant, guideness, and beast, or maybe fire, earth,water,air, plant. Or any other spirit list.
BishopMcQ
Cynic--well, from all that I can see, spirits that my Vaudun can summon will have the same basic abilities of your hermetic. The exception being that they can possess rather than materialize. Obviously I'm going to have to change up the flavor text surrounding the Loa, if it hasn't already been.

I'm fine with a simpler dynamic, where I say that my spirits of man are actually called the Spirits of Obtalla and whenever I summon them, they have a similar thematic element to their appearance.

All of that said, I'm curious what the interplay between spirit and vessel is on living hosts and I'm presuming that I will be able to use the bodies of my fallen enemies to possess with summoned spirits.

Expect to see me standing in line at GenCon with hopeful fervor...
BishopMcQ
@ Rotbart--Yes, but they carefully left p. 101 out of the preview. Not that I could expect to have my specific needs met, given that any other person on DS or elsewhere would have demanded this page or that page. Adam made choices and gave us tantalizing bits, I simply got lucky and had a paragraph about what I wanted to draw me further in...
stevebugge
4 new spirits + the Conjuring vs. Possession Dynamic significantly increases the total number of potential traditions.
Smokeskin
Must be really streamlined if they manage to fit the possession rules into less than one page.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012