Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: System Failure
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Frag-o Delux
I had a character spend 4 hours of real time stareing at a fence, I was totally convinced there was some sort of security on the fence and I was dropped off with out my gear, so i couldnt test for electricity or anything else. I had no binoculars to see if anyone was watchign us and shit like that.

At the end of the night and we finally completed the mission (which was a joke to begin with, I wanted to rob the place earlier based on a rumor our characters had heard in the bar, we got their later that day by accident and said screw it lets rob the place). The GM was laughing because while he was designing the security for the site he totally forgot about the fence in his plans so it had no security on it. He doesnt add stuff to the mission later just because he forgot it. Just like if our characters to specify what they take, congradulations you forgot it.

So we basically spent 4 hours of our real life debating about touching a fence, we didnt want to set off alarms before we even got in the site perimeter. After that we always laughed about fences, picking on each other about them.

Other then the fence there was a bunch of tough security in the site. Turned out to be some corporate thing, I forget what it was. Enough security to keep the scum affraid. But they stayed out of site till the time was called for them to show up. The fence is self was rusted and dirty, had spots with cuts in it, the site was littered with trash. No one should have even thought any was worth stealing was there. But our characters liked to check things out anyway.
Charon
QUOTE (Cheops @ Aug 7 2006, 09:02 PM)
The lowly runner who doesn't have much freedom compared to a wageslave isn't a Shadowrunner.

Let's not get bugged in semantics.

That's like a christian saying you ain't a christian if you don't go to church at least once a week.

@Frag

Yep, you got me on the arithmetics. lol.

You keep implying you know real career criminals. Good for you. But you completely lost perspective. So you know of a police evidence storage that got broke into. Well, okay. It happens. Props to those who did it. It can assure you though that the vast majority of police evidence storage haven't been broken into in the past 5 years.

It's like a less extreme version of arguing that it is common to steal money transferred on chartered plane because DB Cooper might have pulled it off. If he's still alive. It can be done, it's just not a walk in the park.

You also forget two fundamental premises of SR.

1 - Security is much tougher. That's one of the funding principle ; the background story starts withe the Seretech and Shiawese incidents before even the awakening which leads to tougher, lethal force allowed security from Megacorporation.

2 - There is a lot more crime. You say there is a lot of stuff I don't know about? Yeah, well multiply this by 10. You have no choice but to have far better security just to keep the bleeding to a minimum. Not stop the bleeding altogether, just prevent it from really hurting you.

You can dispute the numbers I showed all you want. They were still a tiny fraction of the value of the stock that would transit each year through a major transit hub.

The point isn't to tell runner : "You won't do this." but rather "You won't do this as an aftertought as a way to fill up on your way to another run."

Security in SR is such serious that one AA megacorporation lives of it alone.
Frag-o Delux
I wasnt looking to get you on the math, I was just being an ass. smile.gif

I havent lost perpective, you are just not in touch with the reality of the situation the world is in today and base all your arguments on fiction written by people that for the most part only know the real criminal world from the news paper and movies.

How can you prove that the vast majority of police evidence lock ups havent been broken into in the last five years? I know a bunch of cops that say evidence is lost all the time.

No I was pointing out a couple extreme examples of things that happened because people seem to think those things dont happen today. Piracy, corporate espionage and all the other crap you do in shadowrun happens today, maybe a fraction less, but youll be suprised how often it does happen.

Like you have said, there isnt 100's of these top tier runners in seattle. And with the amount of of complexes, corporate parks and other jobs for a listers and b listers to do jobs on, how often do you think that warehouse is going to be robbed? So the amount of bleeding you are going to try and stop isnt really that much.

Charon have you read the corporate download or corporate security books? the Neo anrchist guides? Or anything before SR4?

Yes security is now much more lethal, but not always. Not every security detachment is armed for war in fact the previously mentioned books have stated that non deadly forces are more common, only the letheal forces come out or the non lethal guys get lethal weapons when the shit hits the fan. Corps may be extraterroritorial, but accidently shooting some wage slave walking pass your complex is bad PR.

There are a bunch of large companies today, in fact the one corp you are referring to LoneStar is based on the Pinkertons, which by chance are the people that protect the port I live next to. That corp today is huge. So your point that a AA is living off the security business as a defense to your argument is hollow. Wells Fargo and a few others are doing the same thing.

Dont forget you are only seeing that much crime because the character you are playing is surrounded by criminals, the game is filled with criminals and all that. If you play a game based on vampires, wouldnt you see ass loads of vampires? or what ever?
Domino
QUOTE (Frag-o Delux)
I was just being an ass. smile.gif

Dont feed the Troll. ohplease.gif
Frag-o Delux
Because I am an American! And what does an American what? Democracy?

Shouldnt that be "Because I am an American! And what does an American want? Democracy?

EDIT: would that be on an aisle or in an aisle, grammer was never my strong point. I mean you stand between the shelves that create the aisle and you stand on the floor that makes the aisle. So when does an aisle become an aisle?
Domino
QUOTE (Frag-o Delux)
Because I am an American! And what does an American what? Democracy?

Shouldnt that be "Because I am an American! And what does an American want? Democracy?

Yeah but they changed sig size along time ago and when i tried to edit said it was too big, I hear that alot. wink.gif

Oh, and before I forget DAMN THE MAN!!!!!
SL James
damn, damn, DAMN the man!
Frag-o Delux
James dont cheer him on, hes all ways bitching about the man. Hes just made his boyfriend left him for another man. So now he thinks all men are out to get him.
Domino
QUOTE (Frag-o Delux)
James dont cheer him on, hes all ways bitching about the man. Hes just made his boyfriend left him for another man. So now he thinks all men are out to get him.

Well I was tired of him righting me.
Frag-o Delux
QUOTE (Domino)
QUOTE (Frag-o Delux @ Aug 8 2006, 12:23 AM)

Well I was tired of him righting me.

I think you mean correcting you.
Domino
You say left I say right.

Lets call the whole thing off.
mfb
so he thinks all men are out to get him because his last boyfriend didn't get him?
Domino
QUOTE (mfb)
so he thinks all men are out to get him because his last boyfriend didn't get him?

LOL wobble.gif
Frag-o Delux
Just like a woman hes hard to figure out. Youd think dating a man it would be easier, but Noooooo this freak has to ruin it all. At first it was all fun and game, watching football going to bars, then he starts with the whinning. Gah he sucked, and wasnt good at that either. I mean I hear he sucked.
Domino
QUOTE (Frag-o Delux)
Just like a woman hes hard to figure out. Youd think dating a man it would be easier, but Noooooo this freak has to ruin it all. At first it was all fun and game, watching football going to bars, then he starts with the whinning. Gah he sucked, and wasnt good at that either. I mean I hear he sucked.

Well if you could have performed better I wouldnt have dumped you for him.
Frag-o Delux
How did we get to calling each other gay? One drunken night in a jacuzzi doesnt make you gay.
Domino
Not sure, but the case of astro glide you sent me made it seem that way.
mallet
I know we are way off topic here already, so I'll just keep pushing us further away.

Another aspect of corporate security to consider is "tracking".

If you are building a laser gun worth 500,000 nuyen.gif and keeping them in warehouses you can bet there will be some sort of hidden GPS tracking device on each. Try and move the box/item out of the warehouse and watch the alarms go off. And even if you get away with it, they can always trace where you go.

Some airports today are experimenting with responder chips apparently the size of a pinhead which they attach to luggage. All a worker has to do is walk by the room with a detector wand and they can tell if every bag that is supposed to be there is there, or if any are missing.

It's not hard to imagine that 50+ years in the future this type of tech is everywhere and almost always automatically activated.

Or look at the new cars now days with build it GPS systems to track them if they are stolen. They are already hooking them up to the powersupply of the car so that if the GPS is turned off then the car won't start/work.

I'd imagine that in the future every high-end military grade weapon would probably have that same sort of tech built into them. That way the builders and owners will always know where there stuff is. It makes for easy inventory and easy loss prevention.

Even if you could disable the GPS to prevent being tracked by satellite, you would be unable to get the weapon to work.

And if you were good enough to disable the GPS and fix the weapon to work afterwards you would still not have enough time to do such a major tech feat in the middle of the run. You would have to do it back at the shop/lab and by that time it is too late, since they have been tracking you since you left the building.

Not all security has to be drones or guys with guns. A hidden, nanobot sized transmitter/locator built into each item (at a super small cost) or a GPS/Cut-off switch also built in at an almost as small cost (maybe 20 nuyen.gif each item extra) is nothing and yet it could be one of the main reason people aren't walking off with Corp stuff everynight of the week.

Just a thought.
Frag-o Delux
You said there was a water ban because your neighborhood was under a drought warning and you wish you could play with the slip and slide.
Frag-o Delux
QUOTE (mallet)
I know we are way off topic here already, so I'll just keep pushing us further away.

Another aspect of corporate security to consider is "tracking".

If you are building a laser gun worth 500,000 nuyen.gif and keeping them in warehouses you can get there will be some sort of hidden GPS tracking device on each. Try and move the box/item out of the warehouse and watch the alarms go off. And even if you get away with it, they can always trace where you go.

Some airports today are experimenting with responder chips apparently the size of a pinhead which they attach to luggage. All a worker has to do is walk by the room with a detector wand and they can tell if every bag that is supposed to be there is there, or if any are missing.

It's not hard to imagine that 50+ years in the future this type of tech is everywhere and almost always automatically activated.

Or look at the new cars now days with build it GPS systems to track them if they are stolen. They are already hooking them up to the powersupply of the car so that if the GPS is turned off then the car won't start/work.

I'd imagine that in the future every high-end military grade weapon would probably have that same sort of tech built into them. That way the builders and owners will always know where there stuff is. It makes for easy inventory and easy loss prevention.

Even if you could disable the GPS to prevent being tracked by satellite, you would be unable to get the weapon to work.

And if you were good enough to disable the GPS and fix the weapon to work afterwards you would still not have enough time to do such a major tech feat in the middle of the run. You would have to do it back at the shop/lab and by that time it is too late, since they have been tracking you since you left the building.

Not all security has to be drones or guys with guns. A hidden, nanobot sized transmitter/locator built into each item (at a super small cost) or a GPS/Cut-off switch also built in at an almost as small cost (maybe 20 nuyen.gif each item extra) is nothing and yet it could be one of the main reason people aren't walking off with Corp stuff everynight of the week.

Just a thought.

One of the more sensible ideas floated out there.

I agree stuff like that is possible and is probably done. Im just wondering if the consumer would like that. Especially other militaries that now know that if anyone is using a gun made after such a date will be GPS enabled and will allow my enemies to back door track my troops. maybe have an end user agreement and code that will deactivate that device once the shipment makes it to the rightful owner. I dont know, it makes sense to track stuff like that. But things like that makes the gun less attractive. Like those MPCP chips that were coded to not work on certain host systems, would a decker ever willingly use that MPCP?
Rotbart van Dainig
Folks - this is SR4. Most equipment is RFID-tagged per default.
Frag-o Delux
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
Folks - this is SR4. Most equipment is RFID-tagged per default.

MOST being the key word. Would you as a military quater master hand out Sniper rifles or machine guns to your troops that are broadcasting its location?
Oracle
If it is broadcasting only over very small distances? Possibly. Helps a lot with logistics, theft protection and later identification of KIA and MIA soldiers.
Smokeskin
QUOTE (Charon)
[QUOTE=Frag-o Delux,Aug 6 2006, 08:31 PM]
You want to compare to real world? Try stealing a from a military warehouse.

Not easy. If you succeed, it's most likely an inside job. Which means you have to pay your inside man. And aren't we talking about runners short on cash?

Now if your point is that Wal Mart's security is cheap... well yeah.

Stealing military weapons just isn't a simple B&E job. It's a complete op.

After 4 months in the army I finished recruit training and was sent to sergeant's training. Nearby, in our training area, there was a weapons storage for the national guard. I'm guessing there were weapons in there to equip hundreds if not thousands of infantry troops - assault rifles, light machine guns, grenades, anti-tank weapons and explosives. Normally they weren't guarded, but since there was a biker war going on in Denmark at that point they stepped up security. This meant 4 guys like me, with 4 months' training and an assault rifle, staying in a house about a mile away, and a pair of them had to take bicycles and ride past the storage every 2 hours. The storage itself had standard alarms on the doors and not anything else AFAIK.

Normally this wasn't guarded, but even with the elevated security I'm guessing anyone serious about it could break in.

At one point an anti-tank rocket was even fired into a hells angel's party, which proves that it is possible to steal these things, and I don't think these guys have anywhere near the skill that a lowly SR team has.
Frag-o Delux
QUOTE (Oracle @ Aug 8 2006, 07:01 AM)
If it is broadcasting only over very small distances? Possibly. Helps a lot with logistics, theft protection and later identification of KIA and MIA soldiers.

Ok Oracle, we are going to put you in the bush, in a machine gun nest. Now you sit there and wait for this highly trained opForce to come through. Gun gun will only be broadcasting yoru position to anyone with a GPS tracker on in the case of RFID a common item that everone on SR has now up to 40 feet away. But dont worry, they dont know you have that gun, the gun certainly wont tell them and its not like Ares is advertising their new adn improved security guns, the ones that cant be stolen because we can now track them any where with this new RFID technology. Yeah its a good thing that unit all had RFID tagged clothing, we would have never found all their body parts with the accuracy of that artillery. I cant figure out how they knew they were there and such accurate shots.

EDIT: Thats it, Im going to be the next major arms dealer in SR. We will put these little listenignposts pods out there, theyll listen for Ares new logistically easier to track thft detered guns. When they hear them walk by it will then input that information into a Battle tac FDDM and IVIS system. Then with automated artillery we rain hell down on them. Oh did I mention we are going to RFID our listening posts, so you can spot them first and break them before the enemy knows your pants are walking by?
Frag-o Delux
While Im in a ranting mood, lets look at RFID tags. First of all they ouldnt broadcst on their own, the power supply to last the life time of the product would be silly and the amount of rdio traffic caused by the thousands of tags in any one location as described in the BBB would jam everthing up. There are only so many frequencies to use.

How RFID tags work today is the tag has an antenna in it, a transiter to creat a legal singal the scanning device will accpect. The scanning device sends out a singal, the antenna catches the currnt in the air, the singal is sent through a transister to create the accpetble code, then its amplified in some cases by a quart crystal or other cheap device to amp the signal.

So, If I stole an Ares MP Laser the only way for them to track it, if I left the RFID tag in the damn thing longer then 10 minutes would be for me to be stupid enough to carry it pass an Ares owned scanner and their mainframe computer is crunching the numbers on everthing that has ever been stolen by ares and tells them where I was a few second ago.

Ill suspend disbelief to let the whole Minority Report scene to play out in SR. But Im not going to say, yeah we have these nanites the size of a human red blood cell in everything ever created that lets the corps track with satellites anything they want. Its just stupid. Im certainly not putting them in weapons meant for the military because that sort of thing is so damn stupid it pains me to think it would be considered, besides military bases and corporate compounds are so hard to break into why would you RFID tag a MP 3 Laser to begin with?
Domino
But can we dikote™ them?
Frag-o Delux
The tags or Mp Laser? In either case yes. but only if you prmoise to have sex with them. Use yrou commlink to find your RFID condoms, becasue you know they have them, its logistically sound, prevents theft and your penis can be tracked anywhere in the world.
Domino
QUOTE (Frag-o Delux)
The tags or Mp Laser? In either case yes. but only if you prmoise to have sex with them. Use yrou commlink to find your RFID condoms, becasue you know they have them, its logistically sound, prevents theft and your penis can be tracked anywhere in the world.

I am so there.

Dikoted ™ AVS. pfft newbie.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012