Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: System Failure
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Zen Shooter01
Think SF this way -

Religious fanatics and a mad AI go crazy.

The wireless matrix rises from the ashes.

Move on.

Yeah, it's silly. Just don't set your campaign in that year and you'll survive.
Frag-o Delux
QUOTE (Zen Shooter01)
Think SF this way -

Move on.

Eh, we are still playing SR3, that is the semi annual game we currently have going. frown.gif I have been looking at some stuff from SR4 to scavenge into our games. The AR stuff seems ok, as junk for the masses, but not the latest greatest hacker ware.

@ SL

I had a rigger working with a decker (my brother). We took a Mini Blimp UAV and modified the hell out of it. Gave it 2 crappy anthroform arms, put a signal amp in it, and a few other things (if I can find the drone Ill post it if desired). I would float it up to a possible jack point. Like a phone line box or some where on a telephone pole. With its electric engine and chameleon paint it would stealth up and hook up to the jack point and let the decker hack with a radio link. I forget all the specifics, like I said we havent played seriously in quiet sometime. The drones birth was actually when I was working construction and not being a fan of high places and a big rigger fan I though about the Condor II with anthro arms to do tasks that required climbing to extrem heights and didnt take a lot of manual dexterity or torque. Like hanging those stupid banners and such in mall ceilings during holidays.
Conskill
QUOTE (Zen Shooter01)
Think SF this way -

Move on.

Eh, there's some fun to be had on Crash Day.

The value of the Crash 2.0, at least for my campaign, was the absurdity of it. In the middle of the intricate little dance my plot's protagonists and antagonists were playing out over the course of years, here comes Deus and Winternight and the worm and God knows what else. They're ungodly powerful, they're not exactly sane, and they're about to break your world.

No rational campaign I can think of puts the players in the middle of that, but it can be an interesting equalizing moment if you focus on the aftershocks.

One of the themes of that campaign was the idea that the PCs were dwarfed by Byzantine schemes and cryptic masters playing a game the PCs didn't know the rules to. Those masters of the shadows seemed a bit more mortal when something even bigger and stranger destroyed the careful work of years with just as little concern as those old masters shattered the lives of ordinary people.

The plot eventually continued into 2070, once all the characters finally picked up the pieces of their schemes, but the tone was changed due to that night when Shadowrunner and Johnson alike learned that they are never running in isolation.
Zen Shooter01
Thank you, Conskill - from the Wagnerian school of SR GMs. wink.gif
SL James
That's a pretty damn cool idea, Frag.

QUOTE (Conskill)
The value of the Crash 2.0, at least for my campaign, was the absurdity of it.  In the middle of the intricate little dance my plot's protagonists and antagonists were playing out over the course of years, here comes Deus and Winternight and the worm and God knows what else.  They're ungodly powerful, they're not exactly sane, and they're about to break your world.

No rational campaign I can think of puts the players in the middle of that, but it can be an interesting equalizing moment if you focus on the aftershocks.

I beg to differ.
Conskill
QUOTE (SL James)
I beg to differ.

Hey, if you create an entertaining and lucid campaign that ends with the PCs battling Deus on the floor of the Boston Stock Exchange or disarming magical nukes, more power to you. I don't think I can.
Samaels Ghost
Being in the middle of a shitstorm you have NO control over can be pretty disheartening for players.
Ancient History
Yeah. Life can be like that.
SL James
Are you suggesting I'm a sadistic GM?

Who have you been speaking with? I'll kill them! Er... I'll... uh... KILL THEM!!!
Samaels Ghost
turn off that hate engine. it'll destroy us all!
Frag-o Delux
QUOTE (Ancient History)

But arent RPGs to escape life, I mean thats battle cry of all the "its not real life, so stop asking for realistic rules/rules that perfectly mimic reality?" And the idea (for our group anyway) of street scum of the highest magnitude to be in a postion to be anywhere near the possiblity of stopping a mega corp or dragon or super powerful AI to be silly. Yeah we are hired to do things for them, by people like middle managers and such, but ultimately still fleas in the grand schem. And arent adventure suppose to have something for the runners to feel good about? Seems like nothing they do in that adventure amounts to crap. SR4 was coming, all the contrived stories for it were written and even if every player said their teams foiled the plots of everyone, youd still get SR4 and those stories.

I would accept Conskills answer to all the puzzle making, but SR has those types of things all the time, look at the fall of Fuchi and all that other stuff. So this final plot in the history of SR is just "oh this again." Just really lame. And if I wanted to break my world I could do it on my own and made it feel real. Like Seattle splintering from the UCAS for what ever reason, the break out of war in the pacific northwest, the reinvasion of pueblo from atzlan. Christ I could make up stories all day to destroy the known game world. And it wouldnt make you have to buy a whole new set of rule books, books with huge rules wholes in them and wait for a notoriously slow release scheduel to patch said wholes. Maybe just a few location books.
Ancient History
QUOTE (Frag-o Delux)
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Aug 5 2006, 04:42 PM)

But arent RPGs to escape life, I mean thats battle cry of all the "its not real life, so stop asking for realistic rules/rules that perfectly mimic reality?" And the idea (for our group anyway) of street scum of the highest magnitude to be in a postion to be anywhere near the possiblity of stopping a mega corp or dragon or super powerful AI to be silly.

A man on the street shot an archduke and started World War I. There is nothing in fiction that can be stranger than reality.
Demonseed Elite
Important fact about System Failure and the "end of Third Edition." At least some of the authors of SF (such as myself, who developed and wrote the Singularity track line) were not aware that Fourth Edition was in development nor that System Failure would be the end of Third Edition until well into the writing of SF.

So, when I came up with the ideas that would form the backbone of the Singularity trackline, I wasn't attempting to use them to explain the transition to Fourth Edition, to break the game world, or to make a nice excuse to skip five years of time. I was just trying to wrap up the Deus storyline.
Charon
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Aug 6 2006, 04:20 PM)
A man on the street shot an archduke and started World War I. There is nothing in fiction that can be stranger than reality.

Eh. Funny, I struggled with the temptation of making a WWI reference in this thread myself.

Oh, and get this, the Assasin of Franz Ferdinand was a member of a terrorist group named Young Bosnia which was supplied with weapons and various ressources by a secret society named The Black Hand.

You can't make this stuff up. I could swap Young Bosnia for Humanis Policlub and Black Hand for Human Nation and I got myself a run.
Frag-o Delux
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Aug 6 2006, 04:20 PM)
QUOTE (Frag-o Delux @ Aug 6 2006, 09:19 PM)
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Aug 5 2006, 04:42 PM)

But arent RPGs to escape life, I mean thats battle cry of all the "its not real life, so stop asking for realistic rules/rules that perfectly mimic reality?" And the idea (for our group anyway) of street scum of the highest magnitude to be in a postion to be anywhere near the possiblity of stopping a mega corp or dragon or super powerful AI to be silly.

And one guy in germany started world war 2, another in Russia helped kick off the cold war, a group of guys in Iran right now may start a huge war and with help from a guy in korea it could turn into world war 3.

Again, isnt the point of RPGs is to escape reality and have a bit of fun? Sure in the case of SR the world is a lot more harsh then reality, but in the back of our heads we are playing a character that can and does things we would like to do in some small way. Mostly being independent and semi-powerful. Not some wage slave hopeing we hit the lotto or not get shot by a crack head looking for a fix. The SF book basically railroads your characters into something theyll never have control over (which may not have been the original idea of the writers as they started the project but then found out). But not only that it royally screws previous edition characters. Making your old characters into SR4 is a major pain in the ass and they still dont seem to fit right. Then you also loose a fare bit of abilities while waiting on other source books. I dont know about other players but we track time on our characters and 5 years in a characters life is huge in a young persons game of shadowrunning.

EDIT: And there are plenty of things in fiction that are stranger then reality, we are just more shocked that that sort of stuff really happens. Like a guy at work the other day had no clue (yes hes a retard) that necrophilia is a real thing. He was shocked and sicken by the thought of it, but it must be true, the word for it exsists adn their are laws for it. So I laugh at your truth is stanger then fiction nonsense. SR run itself has many things in it that are stranger then fiction, like a dragon being president, immortal elves leading humanity through the down cycle of magic with personas such as leonardo di vinci, and many many more things.
Rotbart van Dainig
Runners are never in control - they just exploit circumstances.
And when the worlds goes nuts, good people cry 'catastrophe' - bad people sing 'opportunity'.
Charon
QUOTE (Frag-o Delux @ Aug 6 2006, 05:02 PM)
EDIT: And there are plenty of things in fiction that are stranger then reality, we are just more shocked that that sort of stuff really happens. Like a guy at work the other day had no clue (yes hes a retard) that necrophilia is a real thing. He was shocked and sicken by the thought of it, but it must be true, the word for it exsists adn their are laws for it. So I laugh at your truth is stanger then fiction nonsense. SR run itself has many things in it that are stranger then fiction, like a dragon being president, immortal elves leading humanity through the down cycle of magic with personas such as leonardo di vinci, and many many more things.

Dude, that did not deserve a paragraph.

It's just a saying. Like this one :

Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't.
-Mark Twain

It's just a comment on the weirdness that life is.

But hey, if your argument is that fiction is even weirder, than the System Failure can't be that weird to you, huh?

QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
And when the worlds goes nuts, good people cry 'catastrophe' - bad people sing 'opportunity'.

That's a pretty good synopsis for any SR campaign.
Frag-o Delux
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Aug 6 2006, 05:10 PM)

Runners have more control in their lives then wage slaves. As proven by your Bad people sing oppurtunity statement. A wage slave wouldnt really have the oppurtunities that a good criminal would have.

But hey, if your argument is that fiction is even weirder, than the System Failure can't be that weird to you, huh?

No, Im just messing with Ancient now, seeing that we lost our other place to pick on each other. My point is the stories made up to support SR4 are being used to usher in a new edition of a game that was only created to draw in short attention spanned people and get more money out of the pockets of fan boys. The things that needed fixing in SR3 werent touched or in some cases made worse. Changing the way you roll the dice in the game system doesnt fix a broke rule or concept.

And Mark Twain is a fool. Fiction has no reason to stick to possibilities, truth would be more restrained.
Charon
QUOTE (Frag-o Delux @ Aug 6 2006, 05:22 PM)
Runners have more control in their lives then wage slaves.

A wage Slave can work hard and kiss serious butt to climb to the top. Something kissing butt is unpleasant but it has to be done.

A runner can train hard, stick to his word and work his way in the big league.
Sometime keeping your words force you to do things you'd rather not but you must protect your rep.

---

Despite his best efforts, a Wage Slave can end up a casualty of corporate infighting, having backed the wrong horse when his superior is suddenly unseated (and eaten) by Lowfyr. Bam, all the hard work in the gutter.

Despite his best efforts, a runner can accept the wrong run. Everything looked on the up and up but it turns out the Target, unbeknownst to even Johnson, was a secret project of personal interest to Lofwyr. Lowfyr is furious, contacts are drying up, the pressure is so intense the runner has to leave everything he has built for just a chance to survive.

---

Control is a tricky concept.

QUOTE (Frag-o Delux)
My point is the stories made up to support SR4 are being used to usher in a new edition of a game that was only created to draw in short attention spanned people and get more money out of the pockets of fan boys. The things that needed fixing in SR3 werent touched or in some cases made worse. Changing the way you roll the dice in the game system doesnt fix a broke rule or concept.

Well, that is another bag if snakes altogether.

I prefer SR4 to SR3 myself.
Zen Shooter01
Ancient History:

The idea that Gavrilo Princip started World War I is very simplistic. There were huge forces of history straining against each other already; Princip just joggled the faultline. And if it hadn't been him, it would probably have been someone else, somewhere else - but those forces were going to be unleashed.
Charon
QUOTE (Zen Shooter01 @ Aug 6 2006, 05:41 PM)
The idea that Gavrilo Princip started World War I is very simplistic.

But it is accurate. He started the chain reaction. Triggered it. Provoked it. He poked the bear.

No matter how you look at it, it starts with him and that's why his name is in the history books and why AH statement is true.

Now if we want to discuss the roots of the war, that's another topic and one better suited for a history board.

Although I do recommend to anyone not familiar with the roots of WWI to look it up. Great SR inspiration, with all these intertwined alliances, old grudge, arms race and irrational pride (nationalism).
Ancient History
Yaar, I hear ya. But of all the events leading up to it, that was the tipping point.

[/edit]The really crucial moments in history are almost always intimate, even if unseen. It's personal relationships, and it's the cracks where shadowrunners shine. The unnamed man that stopped a member of the Continental Congress from being mugged, the whore who gave syphillis to the prince, the drug dealer that cut the drugs that eventually killed Elvis. It's all a chain of circumstantial events...and some of them get the spotlight, and some don't.
Frag-o Delux
IF you look further intot he assassination of the archduke youll know on the same day 2 other people along with Princip tried to kill the archduke. One failied, one chickened out. The one that failed threw a bomb at the Duke missing and killing and wounding many people around the dukes cariage. When the duke got out to help the wounded people Princip shot and killed him.

History is full of half truth and simplistic variations.

All of history is heavily dependent on what has happened before, it has to be, people dont do things for no reason, not even mental cases, they too need inspiration to creat the situation to do the things they do. They just dont make sense to us, but in their minds it makes perfect sence.

And I still say runners have more control over their lives. A wage slave works and breaths when their company says to, they have one way to make a living, the way the corporation says too. I runner has a lot more leeway in how they go about making a living. Even with kissing ass and all that in your post.
Charon
QUOTE (Frag-o Delux @ Aug 6 2006, 05:59 PM)
And I still say runners have more control over their lives. A wage slave works and breaths when their company says to, they have one way to make a living, the way the corporation says too. I runner has a lot more leeway in how they go about making a living. Even with kissing ass and all that in your post.

And a lowly runner has to accept every scrap of a run thrown his way just to make rent .

Many players forget this because they usually play runners that are top tier or more. Runners who can afford to say no once in a while. But the average runner ain't got much choice but to bend over and take whatever Johnson wants to give him.
MK Ultra
QUOTE (Frag-o Delux @ Aug 7 2006, 12:59 AM)
History is full of half truth and simplistic variations.

What makes you think then, that SR SBs and adventures are (or should) not be?

There is no way to cover anything about somethingt in just one book (or even a huge stack of them). Itīs for the players and GMs to fill in the gaps.

When I read a plot or sb and something dosnīt make sense to me. I think about ways that it could make sense. If I donīt come up with any and it really anoys me, I change stuff accordingly to my own needs, as I do with any other elements of SR as well.

There is some stuff I donīt like about SR4 and SF, but Iīm fine with the SF plotline.
MK Ultra
QUOTE (Charon)
And a lowly runner has to accept every scrap of a run thrown his way just to make rent .

Players often forget this because they usually play runners that are top tier or more. Runners who can afford to say no once in a while. But the average runner ain't got much choice but to bend over and take whatever Johnson wants to give him.

How I whished my players would have the former type of character more often wink.gif
Frag-o Delux
QUOTE (Charon)
QUOTE (Frag-o Delux @ Aug 6 2006, 05:59 PM)

Many players forget this because they usually play runners that are top tier or more. Runners who can afford to say no once in a while. But the average runner ain't got much choice but to bend over and take whatever Johnson wants to give him.

And you can also do what you want. Our group doesnt sit around waiting for the fixer to call either. If our characters get a wild hair up their ass or a firend gives them a tip they might act on it. Sitting around waiting for a fixer to toss you a bone is nothing more then a wage slave.

I have characters that refuse jobs all the time, and they are no where near the top of the runner totem pole. I couldnt afford the MP laser, but I found out where they are made, and generally stored. Then used my skills for B&E to steal one.

So if you play your characters as runners living in a secure lovely life, why are they running and if they are runners living in a shit hole in the barrens and they spend their days sitting by the phone waiting for the fixer to call like a girl waiting for her prom date to call then you are missing out on a lot of SR playing.
Grinder
QUOTE (Demonseed Elite)
Important fact about System Failure and the "end of Third Edition." At least some of the authors of SF (such as myself, who developed and wrote the Singularity track line) were not aware that Fourth Edition was in development nor that System Failure would be the end of Third Edition until well into the writing of SF.

So, when I came up with the ideas that would form the backbone of the Singularity trackline, I wasn't attempting to use them to explain the transition to Fourth Edition, to break the game world, or to make a nice excuse to skip five years of time. I was just trying to wrap up the Deus storyline.

Sounds like either bad communication between developing team and freelancers or that SR4 was created too hasty.

What did you change when you were informed that SR4 will be released and System Failure be the campaign to end SR3?

And thanks for the insight. smile.gif
Demonseed Elite
SR4 was just top-secret. Even to freelancers, if you weren't one of the ones working on it. I didn't become involved in SR4 until the playtesting phase, so that's when I was informed about it.

I changed very little about the Singularity plotline. Most of the changes were in my writing of the "Hello World" section, because it had to be changed to a sort of lead-in to technomancers, whereas originally I didn't even know about technomancers!
Charon
QUOTE (Frag-o Delux @ Aug 6 2006, 06:55 PM)
I have characters that refuse jobs all the time, and they are no where near the top of the runner totem pole. I couldnt afford the MP laser, but I found out where they are made, and generally stored. Then used my skills for B&E to steal one.

rotfl.gif

I said most player play top tier runner, right?

Well, if you played a guy good enough to raid a stash of those expensive SR laser weapon, he definetely was first tier. There isn't hundreds of runner this good running around in Seattle.

(unless the security was grossly undervaluated for a warehouse that is use to stock such expensive items).

So my point stand. Not that many people play the low end, desperate runner. For SR3 it probably means 300 BP. And for those guys, control takes a distant second to survival.
Frag-o Delux
QUOTE (Charon)
QUOTE (Frag-o Delux @ Aug 6 2006, 06:55 PM)

rotfl.gif

I said most player play top tier runner, right?

Well, if you played a guy good enough to raid a stash of those expensive SR laser weapon, he definetely was first tier. There isn't hundreds of runner this good running around in Seattle.

(unless the security was grossly undervaluated for a warehouse that is use to stock such expensive items).

So my point stand. Not that many people play the low end, desperate runner. For SR3 it probably means 300 BP. And for those guys, control takes a distant second to survival.

I think you play in a world where security is too cheap. Filling a warehouse with high tech guards to watch over cheap products is not right either. Go to any major warehouse in the world today barring a few really crazy places most security is rather lax. Read corporate download and corporate secuirty, the corporations dont have unlimited security budgets, even companies like Ares puts a cap on the amount of security theyll put on a task. Bribery works really well also. The only real thing in the future that has changed for security is more computer security, magic security and now lethal force is possible on a large scale. Think about it, if they have a warehouse with 1000+ MP lasers in it, at most a good runner could steal would be a couple, sooner or later youll be seen or trip an alarm. so whats a few lasers to the 1000+ they have in that warehouse? Breaking into places to steal shit is one part knowledge 9 parts balls. I had a friend who worked as a rent a cop. On the docks they had a bunch of Apache helicopters, they were on trailors with tractors already hooked up. If you had the balls you had one reant a cop to get pass to get an Apache helicopter, the only thing that would have been trouble was an extra security detail would double check on him ever hour. He was making $9 and a whimp, do you think he would put up much resistece if he even saw you because he was usually reading D&D novels. The best security in the world is secrecy. If no one knows you have it, chances are they wont try to steal it and its a lot cheaper not to advertise where you have those lasers stored then to fill the warehouse with top of the line security. You also have in transit theft, much harder to secure a truck hauling stuff and a lot easier to get into. its all about risk management. Is that stock pile of MP Lasers worth the amount of money it would take to make sure that absolutely 100% of them are never stolen?

So in my opinion your point doesnt stand. In another year or 2 I can further elaborate on other things that would make your hair curl about the intense lack of security around things you think are or should be highly protected but arent, not even by a long shot.
Samaels Ghost
Sure, runners can go out on a limb and try to improved their situation. Stealing weapons that may help you out on a future run is a good example. But wageslaves can too. They can take a risk to get ahead in the company. Maybe they invest money in a high-risk project and its success catapults them up a rung or two on the corporate ladder.

Runners may be free, but it is unfair to play down the life of a wageslave. Some wageslaves may get stepped on by their bosses, but a majority do not. It is a comfortable life, if not a glamorous one. Runners can die everytime they go to work. They can be arrested everytime they do their job. They depend on megacorps to pay them their salary and would be flat broke if it wasn't for them. A wageslave in a very high-risk situation may be killed, but his runner counterparts are far more likely to be.

I play SR not so I can battle evil AIs and save the world from magical nukes. Some people may be into that sort of mission. System Failure gives them that option, but does not force anyone to participate in adventures that they feel are beyond the scope of their campaign. For those who think SF is too grand to partake in, limit the exposure your runners have to it. Make it background noise. Have the Matrix crash, have the terrorist news reports, have the world change ever so slightly, but keep your own game in motion. Just because the timeline jumped five years does not mean your game has to. play in 2066 or even earlier. Now if events in System Failure directly contradict events in your own campaign, you have one of two options:

1) stop interfering with things that you know are going to be changed later. If your team's decker faced Deus head to head in cyber combat and destroyed him, you've gone too far. If your PCs are interacting with President Haffner in any capacity, you've gone too far. If any major cannon NPC is featured in your campaign, then killed, you've gone too far. This is the way it has always been in SR. It is very dependant on the running storyline. Either follow it side-by-side or go buy a new system.

2)Ignore the cannon. Your campaign is more important than what some book says. If you have fun in your weekly gaming sessions, keep it that way. Like you said, the point of playing this is to have fun. The new edition isn't telling you what to do anymore than other editions and sourcebooks have.

Considering what I said before about personally not wanting anything to do with Evil AIs and grand schemes, I would still like to point out that I have very little contempt for SF. I look at it as a source book, not an adventure module. It might be fun to play a group of runners that were involved in the events of SF then retire them to being NPCs in the campaign my group does want to continue. I don't want to disarm magical nukes, but playing in the wireless world with a set of rules that, while is not perfect, is streamlined to the point where i can introduce the game to friends and they can join in the next day I do like. The 2070 setting is very interesting. I really enjoy it. If you like 2060 better, go back and go away. My players can have fun without fighting Winternight head to head. Can you?
Charon
QUOTE (Frag-o Delux @ Aug 6 2006, 08:31 PM)
I think you play in a world where security is too cheap. Filling a warehouse with high tech guards to watch over cheap products is not right either. Go to any major warehouse in the world today barring a few really crazy places most security is rather lax.

Yeah, but those laser aren't cheap. And they are military weapons.

You want to compare to real world? Try stealing a from a military warehouse.

Not easy. If you succeed, it's most likely an inside job. Which means you have to pay your inside man. And aren't we talking about runners short on cash?

Now if your point is that Wal Mart's security is cheap... well yeah.

Stealing military weapons just isn't a simple B&E job. It's a complete op.
Samaels Ghost
I think he just metioned helcopter. militray helicopters
Frag-o Delux
If you like 2060 better, go back and go away. My players can have fun without fighting Winternight head to head. Can you?

I didnt know this was your personal forum and could tell people to leave. The guy asked about the book and people gave their opinions I gave mine. And yes I dont bother with winternight, they havent been in our games at all and Deus is still a rumor to our players, the arcology shutting down meant one of my characters had to find a new cigar shop, he didnt give a shit about all those wage slaves being trapped in there, let alone risk messing with the military and a corporation to do anything in there. Then again I did have a high level character that only broke in to steal rumored Deus tech. The only time he dealt with Deus was to capture those bee and dervish things and killing any person that got in his way he certainly wasnt risking a pay check to rescue people.

And I dont have contempt for SR4 or SF. I just dont like them. I have no disrespect towards the writers and dont harbor an intense hatred of the material. I just dont like it. As I have also said before I dont mind the SR4 mechanics, they are fine for the most part, Im just not digging the story line.
Samaels Ghost
came off a little more aggressive than I thought it would. I'm not hatin'!
Frag-o Delux
QUOTE (Charon @ Aug 6 2006, 08:46 PM)
QUOTE (Frag-o Delux @ Aug 6 2006, 08:31 PM)
I think you play in a world where security is too cheap. Filling a warehouse with high tech guards to watch over cheap products is not right either. Go to any major warehouse in the world today barring a few really crazy places most security is rather lax.

Yeah, but those laser aren't cheap. And they are military weapons.

You want to compare to real world? Try stealing a from a military warehouse.

Not easy. If you succeed, it's most likely an inside job. Which means you have to pay your inside man. And aren't we talking about runners short on cash?

Now if your point is that Wal Mart's security is cheap... well yeah.

Stealing military weapons just isn't a simple B&E job. It's a complete op.

Charon have you ever been involved in real criminal activity? Stealing candy bars from wal-mart doesnt count? Military shit isnt always stored on military bases or in highly secured sites. In fact you can see Bradley fighting vehicles on the back of 18 wheelers driving down the highway around where I live. Driven by a truckers that make 35 cents a mile and maybe a risk bonus. Do you think he is going to stop a guy or group of guys with guns over a bradley? Hell no, hes going to think about his wife and kids (or what ever) and hope he doesnt get shot on the side of the road. The national gaurd barracks is down the street from my house. The damn place is loaded with Hummvees, guess whats protecting the base? a 6 foot fence with rusting barb wire and the neighbors motion lights on their back porch. Now I have never been involved in that sort of crime, military sort of stuff, but youd be FUCKING amazed how easy that stuff is to steal. Criminal organizations dont steal shit like that because who are you going to sell it too? Tyron the crack dealer down in the hood? Do you have a ship waiting to get it out of country in the next few minutes after you fail to respond to a coded radio check? A warehouse full guns is peanuts to corps, Ares make billions if not trillions of dollars every year, losing an MP Laser in a small scale warehouse hiest isnt going to give a rats ass. In fact they figure that loss into daily operations. Risk managment is a major division in all major corporations in the world. Watch the history channel, they just ran a show on global piracy. Its a billion dollar a year industry, the corps dont discuss it because its a risk they are will to take, they just keep it quiet. Besides how do you think all those guns your runners have get ont eh streets anyway? Most are probably stolen from the wage slaves house, but likely some gun smuggler is buyin gthem off pirates adn hijackers then smuggling them into inner cities. Alot of those "Hijackings" are actually inside jobs orchestrated by the corps to fund black ops.

They only problem with letting runners stealing tuff like that is if you let runners do it all the time eventually theyll have all the really good gear and have all their run money in the bank. So yeahyou could make it a bit more difficult to steal that type of stuff to maintain game balance. But our group is generally self controlled and restricting players. One major rule we play with is, if you have it, the better the chance the NPC will have it. So if you are lucky enough to have a 121 and are just sniping people all over the place, there will be a stronger instance of a sniper shooting at you in a later date. I mean youll have to really be abuseing the gun or what ever, you can still play with it, but we like to keep things civilized.

EDIT: No worries Sam, I dont take anything personal, especially shit on forums. Type messages are way to easy to be misinterupted. I just like jabbing back.

EDIT 2: You are right Charon those lasers are exspensive. If you are buying them and really super exspensive if you are getting one from a fixer. The cost to make one is rather cheap. I couldnt speculate on what an MP Laser would cost in mass production mode. But it would be a hell of a lot cheaper to make a few news ones to replace the stolen ones then it would be to rig a secure warehouse, pay a mage to drop a few spirits in it and have several highly trained arm gaurds patrol the grounds.
SL James
QUOTE (Samaels Ghost @ Aug 6 2006, 07:33 PM)
I play SR not so I can battle evil AIs and save the world from magical nukes.

You think that's how I threw runners into the middle of that shitstorm?

Try battling a group of chipped-up cyber-mercs who are willing to die (and take you with them) just to keep you from breaking into a bunker only to come face to face with nanoweapons and drones guarding a virus "egg" embedded into some site in the middle of the Tsimshian/SSC DMZ.
Samaels Ghost
^^^That makes it sound WAY cooler! ^^^
Asheron
Frag, I gotta take Charon's side on this.

Yeah, MP lasers are pretty cheap and they're not gonna spend too much to secure them, but they will make damn sure that anyone stealing them gets found out and murdered because they will spend that much money making sure rumor gets out that you don't mess with Ares security unless you want to die fast and young.

Maybe those Bradley tanks and Apache choppers aren't guarded super closely. But seriously who can hotwire a tank or chopper? I doubt it's like stealing an '89 Chrysler. And a good deal of military stuff is on military bases, where they can and will shoot you on sight. If you try, and manage to get away with it, they'll probably find out about it and they have a good chance to find out who it was. And if you do caught, well there goes the next 40 years of your life in Federal Prison. Worth it? I don't think so.

Global piracy? It doesn't surprise me at all, but it wouldn't surprise me if the cargo ships had heavily armed guards, too.

Yeah, smuggling and theft happen, but it's not exceptionally common, esp. military hardware.
Frag-o Delux
QUOTE (Asheron)
Frag, I gotta take Charon's side on this.

Yeah, MP lasers are pretty cheap and they're not gonna spend too much to secure them, but they will make damn sure that anyone stealing them gets found out and murdered because they will spend that much money making sure rumor gets out that you don't mess with Ares security unless you want to die fast and young.

Maybe those Bradley tanks and Apache choppers aren't guarded super closely. But seriously who can hotwire a tank or chopper? I doubt it's like stealing an '89 Chrysler. And a good deal of military stuff is on military bases, where they can and will shoot you on sight. If you try, and manage to get away with it, they'll probably find out about it and they have a good chance to find out who it was. And if you do caught, well there goes the next 40 years of your life in Federal Prison. Worth it? I don't think so.

Global piracy? It doesn't surprise me at all, but it wouldn't surprise me if the cargo ships had heavily armed guards, too.

Yeah, smuggling and theft happen, but it's not exceptionally common, esp. military hardware.

You can take anyones side, it doesnt matter to me.

And we are talking about Ares, not S-K. And let me get this straight. The corp may not spend the amount of money on security, but they will spend crazy amounts of money on tracking down a trackless deniable asset and kill him to prove a point over a cheap easily replacable piece of hardware that will take them months to realise is missing? Talk about waste of resources.

Im not a military expert, I have not been in a Bradley or Apache but Im betting they dont have car keys to start them. It would be extremely embaressing being late to a war because you locked the keys in the chopper or left your key in your other BDUs. Not to mention, I said the things were on trucks. You steal the truck and deliver the thing to the person buying it, I dont care if they can get it started later, I just want the money. Hell I dont care if the thing is functional at all. And you arent going to steal the shit off a base, you are right, youll be shot on sight, thats why I said in transit. Look people are in jail for the rest of their lives for killing people over sneakers, there is a guy in jail because of the 3 strike laws, his third offense that put him away for life? Stealing a god damn snickers bar. Going to jail to me for a day isnt fun, but its the price of doing business, you wiegh the odds of getting caught, the amount of time youll do if you get caught and how much you are going to make. Really getting caught to a professional criminal isnt a thought that normally crosses your mind, its the amount of money you want for the trouble itll cost to get it. You dont think 40 years is worth it for stealling a tank, but thats why you arent a profesional criminal, you are affraid to go to jail and you probably worry about it anytime a crime is about to be commited in your presents.

And about piracy. Hiring guards to protect your shipments would be advertising your have a problem with piracy, the shipping companies arent trying to advertise that. The shipping companies also have said they arent going to hire armed guards because they feel if they start adding armed guards to their ships then the pirates will start to respond by killing people. They feel the risk of pirates stealing cargo is cheaper to deal with then spending money on armed guards and paying off death benefits. The crew is currently told if the ship is boarded by pirates to lock themselves in the bridge or other hard fortifible space to avoid being killed. That means they will just write of off the loss and go on about their daily business, its all factored into the price.

That statement "Yeah, smuggling and theft happen, but it's not exceptionally common, esp. military hardware." is so incredibly naive it pains me to read it. The amount of drugs and people being smuggled around the world as we speak is staggering, and that just the stuff that makes it in the news. Guns are smuggled all the time also, its amazing how much crime is going on right now, you would (and I mean you because I dont think you have been near real criminals in your life) be blown away by the amount of shit that is going on right under your nose. And Im talking about stupid shit, there is a soap factory down the street from my house, I know a guy that hijacked a truck of soap because he was paid to. We have a major rail yard well several of them. Those rail cars are broke into all the time and shit stolen off them. Motorcycles (becasue getting a car off a train is virtually impossible while the train is hooked up), ice cream, clothes, electronics, and the list goes on forever. We have a bunch of major loading docks for transoceanic cargo ships all around my neighborhood, that place is robbed all the time. Does that stuff make the news all the time? Nope, the corps arent going to advertise how they are being robbed all the time, they would get flooded with people robing them. Then theyd have to spend tons of money on securing their stuff. Currently its easier and cheaper for them to absorb the cost of theft and go about their business.

But you are right, military equipment theft isnt all that common, I mean I dont know of any national guard member walking onto a base and driving a M1 off the base and running over a few small towns only to be shot and killed when it got stuck on the highway dividing wall. Extreme example I know, but theres not much of a market in the states for Main battle tanks. But there is for small arms. One of the funniest things I have seen was when a friend of mine had a CS canister from a "friend" in his locker in school and it went off. The school had to be evacuated because it filled the place and everyone was ganging and crying.

Read some of the older SR books, they prove the corps arent any different then todays corps.
Charon
All right, try to find something wrong with that SR setup I'd be using for Seattle if a run called for raiding an AresArms warehouse.

Ares Clearing House : Next to SeaTac airport, Ares has a medium size industrial park (perhaps 1 square mile) where they keep three fairly big warehouse. One dedicated to AresArms, another to AresSpace and a third one IDed to Ares Macrotechnology which serves the needs of other branch of Ares. These are to accommodate both the Ares manufactures and Shop as well as for exporting toward Asia. There are also 6 other Warehouses belonging to multinationals smaller than AA status who rent space in Ares park for obvious reasons ; extraterritoriality. If you get in the Industrial park, Clearly IDed as such and fenced in by two ring, the first fence being a friendly warning the second having sensors and various nasty surprises, flood light at night and mono-wire, and you are in Ares land.

Most of the stuff coming in an out of here is airlifted (Remember, next to the airport) unless its resale value is so cheap that the shipping cost would but a serious dent in the profitability of the corp. Do remember that in SR the risks of hijacking land cargo is more common (Which means higher insurance premiums) and airlifting cargo is more effcient than today. So in any case where the $/Kg ratio isn't too low, like anything weapons or drug related, for example, airlifting will be more common. In these case, the savings in insurance alone would justify the airlift. If it's a shipment of food on the other hand, it's pretty obvious that it's cheaper and more efficient to move it by land.

The warehouse storing the most expensive goods probably contain above 600 millions in resale value. The 9 together might bot be too far from the 3 billion mark. And that's what they contain at any one time. Over the course of a year, it wouldn't be a stretch to assume that over 30 billions in goods transit through the clearing house.

So what's 100 million in security? Especially if Ares split the cost with the multinationals renting space in their industrial park. Especially if using cheap ass security would jack the insurance cost through the roof anyway.

So this industrial park has a dedicated Fast Response Team (Maybe 15 member strong). Enough securitys mage to keep about 6 spirit in patrol over the area at all time (Plus a few binded spirit between them to call upon on an emergency). Probably over 20 drones patrolling and 3 or 4 riggers. Plus sensors. Security inside the warehouse is up to the individual corporations and you can expect some to be fairly satisfied with this setup and only have a handful of standard guards, cameras and tough maglocks inside their warehouse whereas the AresArms or AresSpace dedicated warehouse probably has additional fun inside on top of what's defending the park itself.

To get good 24/7 coverage in 6 shifts or so, it means at least 90 FRT, 12 security mage and 24 riggers in rotatation. If they cost you on average 500 000$ a year (Salary, ongoing formation, equipments and upgrades etc.) you still only spend 63 millions a year, a far cry from the total value of the stock you are defending and of the insurance premium you'd have to pay if you left it undefended. And the price tags is shared between 9 warehouses and 7 companies.

---

Now, I don't think this is excessive. A good runner team somehow determined to break in one of the warehouse could do it with solid planning and some financing. It's a FRT, not uber commandos filled to the brim with deltaware. And these 6 to 8 spirits patrolling are of a strenght that two resonably experienced but not super stars mage could conjure up with spirit foci without being stunned silly for the rest of their shifts, these are not monstrous +8 level spirits. And these drones aren't experimental tech worth 1 million bucks apiece, more like typical security drones. Their electronic seucirty and friewalls are tough, but they're not Zurich Orbital's. Beating this security can be done.

But this is not a simple smash and grab one man B&E job. It's a whole mission, and not one I'd recommand for less than a first tier runner team.

If lifting military equipment from Ares was easy, everyone would do it and gangers would all have panther assault cannon.
Frag-o Delux
So you have 126 guys, all with a high profiency of training, all should be making about $30,000 a year, more in the case of the rigger and mage (a lot more for the mage) plus benefits like health care and vacation time, maybe death benefits. Ares is known for their training and highly skilled troops, so if you take a rumored number I read in Janes or some DoD document, its cost the US about 1 million to train one raw recruit. To be FRT, a rigger and security mage I would assume it would cost a lot more, so well stick with 1 million to train. Thats $126 million just in training on these guys. Then incidentals like uniforms and stuff.

You also have to look at the maintenance crew youll have to keep on hand for all those cheap drones and aircraft coming and going, plus and air traffic control crew to get all those aircraft in and out, which Ill still debate the cost of airlifting everything is cheaper then trucks, especialy with the Bergen around. If Sea-Tac even lets them fly in and out of there. Extraterroritorial or not, they still need to permission to fly out of that land and if sea-tac says stay in a holding pattern, you stay in a holding pattern. Or you dont ever leave that zone. If Sea-Tac is busy you can expect to not be let out that often. Meaning unschedueled delays and over time charges. The aircraft mechanics alone are a ton of cash to keep on hand all the time. Aircraft them selves cost a shit load to keep in operation compared to trucks.

The cabling costs alone to run all those sensors would cost tons, a double layered fence as well. I am going to assume some sort of barb wire is on the second line at least. Dont forget the support teams, I mean you may have 126 guards, but youll have about a third of that just in clerical and administrative rolls, you know like dispatchers and scheduelers. Mages (at least in SR3) had to pay 1000 nuyen per point the elemental was to conjure it. So you are running into a lot of money there. You could use watchers or spirits that cost nothing to conjure, but watchers are generally idiots and spirits come and go at sun up and sun down leaving a determined person a window to sneak through. Are the places these blimps or what ever just as secure? Then youll need a lot of people just to sweep the aircraft to make sure nothing hitch hiked. Do you have fire fighting crews on hand if one of these aircraft crash land? The equipment for all that as well? Normal small mom and pop airports like Free State down the street from me doesnt but they deal with some dual engine but mostly single enige planes like pipers and cessnas. You are talking about aircraft big enough to make the cost of lifting cargo out of one country to another and be cost effective. Storage warehouses are insured and bonded as well, so the cost of having that size of a warehouse with that sort of cash flow will still have high premiums, and now that its sitting with a run away in the middle of it (1 square mile is nothing for an airport let alone a major warehouse complex) it maybe more. Does Ares own these aircraft? I suppose they could since they own a lot of vehicle manufacturing groups. The grounds keeping to make sure all those devices stay functional is another cost.

The cost of shipping by air after all incidentals are calculated will still be a shit load more then shipping by truck to a dock and loading a super freight ship to sail it to a given destination or to a rail yard to be shipped by train.

Security will never be cost effective enough to keep everyone out, the goal of security is to find a happy medium between cost of security versus cost of loss. In most cases NOT having Ares in huge neon lights and a couple fences will be enough to keep everyone out except a few hard core theives. I live next to the fourth or fifth largest sea port on the east coast of america. More commercial goods flows through this port every year then in your mythical Ares complex. The vast majority of it is patrolled by a hand full of armed gaurds and a couple hands full of non-armed guards. They have miles and miles of fence line and water line to patrol. Virtually no cameras and few lights on the fence and water lines. They have one single fence about 10 foot tall and in some places lined with barb wire. The have rail lines and huge truck entrances all over the place also. Plenty of places for a person to sneak into.

I could go on but I have to go work on another project and this is getting monotonous.
Grinder
I love this thread. smile.gif Seriously, I got some interesting ideas and insight into security that will probably help me when I run my next session (whenever that will be).
Charon
QUOTE (Frag-o Delux @ Aug 7 2006, 05:12 PM)
So you have 126 guys, all with a high profiency of training, all should be making about $30,000 a year, more in the case of the rigger and mage...

116 people. And I said :

QUOTE (ME @ just one post ago)
To get good 24/7 coverage in 6 shifts or so, it means at least 90 FRT, 12 security mage and 24 riggers in rotatation. If they cost you on average 500 000$ a year (Salary, ongoing formation, equipments and upgrades etc.) you still only spend 63 millions a year, a far cry from the total value of the stock you are defending and of the insurance premium you'd have to pay if you left it undefended. And the price tags is shared between 9 warehouses and 7 companies.

So I did account for all that. I approximated at 500 000$ a year for each. Sure, they cost over a million to train, but that's for on average 20 years of services so you can't charge it all on one year. That's bad accounting. On average you'd charge 5% of their training costs in that exemple.

I gave a rough estimate of 63 millions cost for one year. Add a portion of the electronic / computers / sensors required. Say you have 30 millions worth of security equipment with an average lifespan of 5 years wich would mean 6 more million a year. Let's round up to 70 millions total per year. Add 5 millions for maintenance. For 30 billions worth of goods transiting each year. 75 / 30 000 = 0,25%. Not excessive.

The estimated cost for insurance for these warehouses if you have poor security? Let's 10% of the value of what they contain at any given moment ; I estimated 3 billion so insurance would be at least 300 million.

If your security is strong like what I described, you can likely cut down your insurance premium to 150 million a year.

So with cheap security ; it costs 300 million a year + the costs of your cheap security. Let's say it's 5 millions. Total : 305 millions.

With strong security ; it costs 225 million a year (150 + 75)

Savings of 80 million. Tadaa.

Sure you can tweak the number around but the bottom line is poor security means huge insurance costs in the criminal minded world of SR.

Remember that this is shadowrun. With mages, megacorporation sabotage, tons of runners. Runners apparently keen on stealing from megas as you volunteered your PC to do. Compared to RL, the criminality in SR is through the roof. And some of these criminals can cast invisibility spells... In this context, poor security is often sheer stupidity, especially in the case I illustrated. Sure, you can't let security eat your profit. But too little security and it's you insurance premiums who will eat them.

---

The same logic applies to what cargo you want to airlift and what you want to drive. Airlifting is more efficient than in our world and Land travel has a far higher incidence of highjacking. You can't argue that point; you are saying your runner would hijckack cargo for personal benefits!! That meanss higher insurance premium than for an airlift.

So do you airlift or drive? Depends of the $/kg cost.

Example ;

Let's say it costs 1$ per kg to airlift and 0,50$/kg to use trucks.
Let's say it costs 10% of the value of the cargo in insurances for land cargo and 5% for an airlift.

You have 10 000 Kg worth of product X to move. Which do you choose?

Answer : The break even point is 100 000$ (10$ / kg). If that 10 ton cargo is worth more than 100k, you airlift it. If it's worth less, you drive.

This doesn't account for the fact that some cargo are more likely to be targeted for highkacking while other are far less likely.

Bottom line ; you airlift missiles and you drive bread.

The world of SR has lowered the $/Kg cost of airlifting and augmented the criminality and therefore risks premium of land cargo. A pretty good reason to airlift most of the valuable stuff in SR's 2070s.
Westiex
Just have a given ceiling on the cost for transit (Shipping space and weight) vs sale cost to determine what gets airlifted and what doesn't. In any case, this sounds like a major distrubution hub, which is going to get quite a bit of attention for just about any type of high end good - electronics, weaponry, luxury items, vehicles ...

Sooner or later the location of the hubs is going to get into the criminal underworld - its something that'd be easy to find for deckers, so a security through obscurity approach won't work.

As for hijacking cargoes - thats a fairly involved plan. Granted, you have the disadvantage of the fact that a FRTeam is going to take a while to get to the cargo, but Joe Shadowrunner is going to want to make sure he hits a shipment of arms (which he then has to fence) as opposed to a shipment of plush Tickle-me-Dunkie dolls.
Cheops
As far as stealing from military bases is concerned I don't think it is quite as high end as you guys think. At least where I live the actual bases are BASES. That means that all the families of the servicemen/women are located on base as well as all the support and assistance people you need to maintain what amounts to a small community (such as teachers, shopkeepers, etc). This means a lot of non-uniformed people getting on base each day. Most criminals don't knock over military bases because of nerves alone--getting caught in a military base is much worse than getting caught in a Walmart. However, I wouldn't say it is anymore or less difficult than knocking over any other location.

As far as knocking over military bases and this proposed Ares warehouse complex I gotta ask: are we talking SR3 starting characters or SR4 starting characters? In SR3 you needed to be much more high end than you do in SR4. An SR4 character could pull off either job easily depending on his build. I'd say a team of three starting characters in SR4 with Face, Mage, and Technomancer could do either without a hitch.
Frag-o Delux
Um 90 + 12 = 102 + 24 = 126, not 116

Ok, with airlifting. Do you realise we dont use blimps/zepplins any more? Weather my friend will wreck your flight plans a lot. The US Navy had a few of them to do shore patrols, strong storms wrecked 2 of them, the Navy pulled the third to avoid loosing it. After that we have experimented with new zepplins but so far they havent seen a reason to use them. Using them over sporting event sis one thing, but using them to realibily transport cargo is a falicy. SR has them for the wow factor. But in reality those zepplins will be just as dangerous if not more so with the wierd shit of the SR universe. So your insurance premiums cant be realibly accounted for.

You also never accounted for the creation and maintenece of an air strip in the middle of a city next to another major airport hub.

I never said it was to be account for all in one year, and if you do break it down to 20 years, thats still 50K a year, plus 50k for pay and benefits, thats 100K a year for a grunt, mages and riggers will be more. so 126 x 100K = 1.26 million a year just in a cheap estimation of security people, mages and riggers make more and cost more to train. And Im sure youll have refresher courses and other additional training as time goes on thus adding to the cost of the grunt.

The you have support personel that will cost 50k+ because they are administrators and they always get a lot more then the grunts in the field.

Your made up 10% and 5% insurance premiums dont sway me because many factors go into site insurance, the fact that you have an AIRPORT in the middle of a bunch of warehouses will make your insurance premiums huge. The fact that you keep forgetting to account for mechanics to take care of said aircraft and firefighting crews to fight the inevitable crash will make your insurance even higher. Just being an arms company will make your insurance higher. The fact that they are leasing warehouse space to "outside" companies is a security factor, thus higher insurance.

But that all assumes Ares isnt paying a shell company the insurance money so its all actually still in the family just under a different budget now.

Where you are pulling these numbers from I dont know, so i cant debate them logically or with any faith, its all opinion on what the cost of these things would be. The pay the average guard gets in in one of the books, and the average worker gets a large portion of his pay in additional benefits.

Still dont know where you are getting the break even point of 10000 nuyen either, probably more made up numbers. And while you are airlifting your 100K nuyen missiles out and sending widgets out the gate on the trucks, Ill continue to hijack your widgets and sell them to a shady distributer for a fair price and strip the truck for parts. Then Ill use that widget money to buy a SAM and shoot your zepplin down for shits and giggles. You airlift important things, highly valuable things, not everything.

And again I ask, have you ever been around real criminals, you know the guys this game is based around, the guys hollywood makes movies about? You have no F'ing clue how many of those people are out there and the amount of theft, hijacking and other crimes that Im talking are commited every day. The stuff isnt heard about because those places keep that stuff quiet because then theyll have to pay for that security. Corporations dont like to spend money, if they can get away with no security other then a retiree with a pistol, some dogs, a big fence and lack of notoriety in the area theyll do it. If you want your warehouses to have 30 story tall neon signs screaming ARES with zepplins landing in it, yeah you better load the joint with top notch security.

Last year the Police evidence storage site was broken into and robbed of the evidence that was going to be used to convict some big criminal in my area. The building that was used as the evidence storage facility? A little red brick shit hole under a span of the Interstate between a strip club and a truck stop restaurant on a major road. The security? a camera on the front and back door, and a motion sensor inside. I drove pass that building almost everyday, some times a bunch of times in one day. I still drive pass is everyday now, twice a day, but I dont think its the evidence building anymore. Why? Because everyone knows it was the police evidence storage building, it was all over the news for days. The cost to secure it against another raid would be far more costly then to find a new building and rent/buy it and store the stuff there and not tell any one it was there.

One company I use to work for stored $10's of thousands of dollars of electronic equipment, that would have easily been sold on the black market. Guess what security we had? the swip card ket at the gate of the public storage building, the swipe ket at the door of the building and a combination lock on the roll up door. But the main reason no one steals the stuff is because they didnt know it was there. Same with a 53 foot trailer we had on a public parking lot. It was packed with nearlly a million dollars worth of electronics and tools. The security was a combination lock and the fact no one knew what was in it.

The best thing about people not knowing what you have is it doesnt cost a damn thing, and the fewer people you have monkeying around there looking like hard core grunts the less attention the building will get. Whee Ares is goign to put the costly security is in the R&D facilities, and other crucial sites. Not some warehouse storeing lasers and biscuits.

EDIT: I play SR3 and I did the job with a character with about 30 karma earned.

I never made the place a major distribution center, in fact the place my character stole the gun was a warehouse that was just across the street from the manufacturing plant, well down the street.

Major hubs will be just as easy to rob also, like the military bases Cheops talks about will have ass loads of people milling about, much easier to blend into that then an empty warehouse that only 5 guys should be in.

And no, hijacking a truck is not that complicated at all. Any punk can do it, knowing what you are getting is something else though. In real life youll generally have a guy on the inside, usually the rent a cop tellign you what is going out that night. You wait down the street. When the truck gets stoppe at the red light, or because you step in front of it. You have another guy step out and pull the poor guy from the tractor. Depending on who you work with you may just threaten the guy, you may pay him to be quiet for a few minutes, or you pistol whip the bitch unconscience then stuff him int eh sleeper cab.

In SR you have it a lot more easier, you can hack the shipping docs, you can have a mage with the catalogue spell. Sure the trucks are armored, but you could just as easily take control of the rig. In other ways. Why would I pass up the tickle me dunkie dolls? werent they top sellers? I mean on sr ebay they were 5k a piece or something, (actually Im kidding I dont know anythign about that crap) but if I had a truck load of them I could clean up. ANd guess what Im not going to catch a arms smuggling wrap for it. Just grand larceny if Im caught, possibly the hijacking and recieving stolen property, youll catch a ton more shit for guns though. Whats a Predator sell for? 500 nuyen? a fad toy 1000's? Yeah Im going to hijack the gun truck over the tickle me dunkie dolls.

And like Cheops said hitting a military base would just take balls of steel, which runners have. The reason people dont rob military bases is because they think its impossible, they also dont know people that will buy a tank, and if I want a fully automatic rifle, Ill got to a gun show, buy an AR 15 and have a friend make it rock and roll.
Charon
QUOTE (Westiex)
In any case, this sounds like a major distrubution hub, which is going to get quite a bit of attention for just about any type of high end good - electronics, weaponry, luxury items, vehicles ...

Sooner or later the location of the hubs is going to get into the criminal underworld - its something that'd be easy to find for deckers, so a security through obscurity approach won't work.

If I gave the impression that this was some kind of secret area 51 type of deal, that's not what I meant.

Like any major hub of this type, everyone knows where this is in my campaign. This is like asking where a lesser known stock market is located. Not everyone has heard of it, but you just got to ask (or do a basic datasearch).

QUOTE (Westiex)
As for hijacking cargoes - thats a fairly involved plan. Granted, you have the disadvantage of the fact that a FRTeam is going to take a while to get to the cargo, but Joe Shadowrunner is going to want to make sure he hits a shipment of arms (which he then has to fence) as opposed to a shipment of plush Tickle-me-Dunkie dolls.

As I said, for a lot of significant cargo that have high $/kg value, it can often be worth it to airlift precisely (In SR) precisely because you and the insurance companies both know wich shipment runners are likely to want to jack.

That makes hijacking a lot more difficult when the cargo take off and land in corp controlled land. Not impossible, never impossible! Just a pretty tough run for solidly competent runner. But completely out of the league of a typical, bottom tier runner.

Man, this all started because I argued the lowly runner doesn't have much more freedom than a wage slave since he is so desesperate just to make rent.

What a long strange trip it has been.
Cheops
The lowly runner who doesn't have much freedom compared to a wageslave isn't a Shadowrunner. At least not in my games. He is just a common criminal or gangbanger who hasn't made the grade yet to be a shadowrunner. If you can't pull off a B&E against a warehouse (any warehouse) or hijack a shipment then you aren't going to get hired for anything more important than distractions or courier jobs.

In one of my SR3 games they did get hired to knock off Ft. Lewis and it would have succeeded. They got their hands on authentic uniforms and physical masked to look like a major that was on base. The only reason they got caught is because they overthought their earlier plans--one of which included buying 4 military grade 2.5 ton trucks with UCAS markings from their fixer and told him to ASK AROUND about it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012