Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where can I find the old rules on the Internet?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Teux
32 Acres here, 7.3 planets

I gotta tell you, it doesn't bother me at all that I live better than most people on the planet. I'm going to take advantage of what living in this rich nation has to offer, as long as I can.

I would think that most of us would live as high a lifestyle as possible, given available resources and personal wealth. I doubt that most people living in poor countries would act any differently, given the opportunity.
SirKodiak
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (SirKodiak @ Aug 8 2006, 02:53 PM)
Keep in mind that your current machine has already been produced.

In most cases, so has the new one.

Yes, but if I don't buy the new one, someone else can, which means a different new one doesn't have to be purchased. It's not like all the washing machines that will ever be made have been manufactured, and are waiting around for us to pick them up, so we might as well go get them now. What we buy has an affect on what is manufactured.
Kagetenshi
That's true. However, you cannot factor in the cost of disposing the old machine unless you're planning to keep your old machine forever or you're reasonably certain that the cost will decrease (in which case you can only factor in the deduction, not the entire value). As long as you are going to throw that machine away at some point in the future, for the purposes of the cost/benefit analysis you're throwing it away right now.

Large efficiency gains are rarely outweighed by other considerations for items lasting a decade or more.

~J
Shrike30
I'm a little dubious of the math here. I live in a 4 person house, we have energy conservation in place, it's got less than 1500 square feet, and that's still eating up 3.5 of my allocated 4.5 acres?

The fricking house was built in 1923, and has been redone with good insulation and a number of other ecological upgrades. How does it warrant 3.5 acres of land being used up?
Wireknight
I find it telling that this quiz only measures waste produced and transportation costs. If my energy usage was factored in, I'm sure I would need a planet just to myself, made entirely of coal and oil.
Eyeless Blond
Yeah, that quiz does make a lot of assumptions, many of which are probably false. And mfb's absolutely right that 4.5 is a false standard. It is, however, going to become more and more important to lower our footprints as large countries like China and India gear up and start becoming even bigger polluters than we are. Eventually so many people are going to be living like we are now that it's going to affect everyone's quality of life. It's already starting, and it's going to get much worse before people like Teux wise up, if they ever do.

As for solar panels, yeah, they're not for everyone, that's true. But they kinda are for everyone in southern California, and for most of the people in the southwest US, which is all I was really thinking about at the time.

By the by, my score? 13.5 acres. Hey, I never said I wasn't part of the problem, just that the problem isn't solely or even primarily the fault of oil companies.
hobgoblin
interesting, from copyright to enviroment...
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond @ Aug 8 2006, 07:15 PM)
It is, however, going to become more and more important to lower our footprints as large countries like China and India gear up and start becoming even bigger polluters than we are bomb developing countries back to the stone age

Fixed that for you smile.gif

~J
Adam
Fixed this thread.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012