Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Isn't possession overpowered?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Lebo77
QUOTE (Brahm)
QUOTE (Lebo77 @ Aug 10 2006, 09:38 AM)
Do you understadn that the post you are refrenceing was done to illustrate that the mechanics and the descriptions are not coherent?

Yes.
What light would you have me see?

That your assertion that the game mechanics and game descriptions are not coherent is in truth incorrect. Only your interpretation of the descriptions are, to some extent and not even entirely there although it is inconsistant with one particular line. That others exist which are coherent with the mechanics.

What exactly IS your interpritation of how Immunity to normal weapons works, from a descriptive standpoint. I went back and reviewed your posts and you never stated what that was. You have had a grand old time trying (and failing) to attack my assertions, but have offerned no real alternitive.

Got those cannon citations yet?
Serbitar
Ah ok, thanks, traditions.
Brahm
QUOTE (Lebo77 @ Aug 10 2006, 09:52 AM)
What exactly IS your interpritation of how Immunity to normal weapons works, from a descriptive standpoint.

That is actually irrelavent, although I did supply two examples before.

Got those cannon citations yet?

Well if you are looking for direction from the books on how to describe it.

QUOTE (Immunity)
Th is
Immunity Armor is treated as “hardened” protection (see
Hardened Armor above), meaning that if the Damage Value
does not exceed the Armor, then the attack automatically
does no damage.

QUOTE (Hardened Armor)
If the modifi ed Damage Value of an attack does not exceed
the Armor rating (modifi ed by Armor Penetration), then it
bounces harmlessly off the critter
;

Coupled with all spirits being composed of:

are largely composed of some kind of common
arcane material regardless of apparent structure—

Points towards spirits that look like water or fire or a brick outhouse or an eagle but are all equally as tough to shoot through as an APC (depending on Force of course).

Now if you want to make up a different description that is harder to reconcile with all parts of the book, that is your perogative. But it isn't the book being inconsistant with itself.
Lebo77
QUOTE (Brahm)

are largely composed of some kind of common
arcane material regardless of apparent structure—

Points towards spirits that look like water or fire or a brick outhouse or an eagle but are all equally as tough to shoot through as an APC (depending on Force of course).

Now if you want to make up a different description that is harder to reconcile with all parts of the book, that is your perogative. But it isn't the book being inconsistant with itself.

You are rehashing the same old ground Brahm. I ask for "fulff" you respond with "crunch". I have never disputed that how the mechanics function. Additionaly, how should (under your paridigm) the "Immunity to normal weapons" power of spirits be describe in the event of a non-penetration of an attack?

You have allready seen your comment regarding the "are largely composed of some kind of common arcane material regardless of apparent structure" quote refuted and its value to your argument shattered. (Your citation is taken out of context in an attempt to support your flawed logic.)

If you have nothing new to add then you sould simply give up and go home.
Rotbart van Dainig
It's quantum mechanics: Noone knows whether a spirit will really dissapear if you shoot it - unless you tried it. grinbig.gif
Brahm
QUOTE (Lebo77 @ Aug 10 2006, 10:39 AM)
If you have nothing new to add then you sould simply give up and go home.

The phrase "then it bounces harmlessly off the critter" is "crunch", and therefore is ignorable? That's even richer. rotfl.gif Oh there isn't much to add to that. Indeed it is time for me to give up on seeing any sort of sane reasoning out of you. wavey.gif
Brahm
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
It's quantum mechanics: Noone knows whether a spirit will really dissapear if you shoot it - unless you tried it. grinbig.gif

Only if it is a Cat spirit. nyahnyah.gif
James McMurray
Hey Lebo, give it up. As soon as someone says something along the lines of

we find that your supposition lacking*

they've switched to the "royal we" and "master debater" mode. Generally once that happens right or wrong no longer matters (and I'm not saying you're right). By that point in the discussion the focus has switched from understanding viewpoints to negating them.

* The poor grammar was in the original post, not my quote
Lebo77
QUOTE (James McMurray @ Aug 10 2006, 11:16 AM)
Hey Lebo, give it up.

Yup. I am done. This has occupied far too much of my time allready.

So back on topic:
Posession does seem very powerfull, but how does it compare to materialization?

Second point:
What are some imaginitive things to have your spirits posess?

EDIT spelling.
Brahm
QUOTE (Lebo77 @ Aug 10 2006, 11:25 AM)
Yup.  I am done.

Without further explaination of this seemingly rather unique split of "crunch"/"fluff" you have managed to evolve over these last "15 years"? Say it isn't so! sarcastic.gif spin.gif
booklord
A House Rule Just off the top of my head...... Perhaps Banishing could be used as a form of counterspelling to resist spirit powers ( like possession ) that counterspelling doesn't cover.

Might actually give folks a reason to raise their banishing skill. ( There are safer methods of taking out spirits than banishing them. )

What do you think?
LilithTaveril
Well, I don't own the book you guys are discussing, have been reading this thread in hopes of getting a good review on parts of it, and instead find a lovely argument.

Brahm, here's something you missed:

Hardened armor is even tougher than normal armor. If the modified Damage Value of an attack does not exceed the Armor rating (modified by Armor Penetration), then it bounces harmless off the critter; don't even bother to make a Damage Resistance Test. Otherwise, Hardened Armor provides both Ballistic and Impact armor equal to its rating.

It appears to be fluff, but it also appears to possibly be a sarcastic writer. In context, I see a case for both. Especially considering I think I've seen sarcasm show up in several other points in the book. If it's just a writer being sarcastic, then it's not actually fluff, but writer commentary.

Now, I'm back to lurking when it comes to this topic.
Geekkake
QUOTE (Brahm)
Yup.  I am done.

Without further explaination of this seemingly rather unique split of "crunch"/"fluff" you have managed to evolve over these last "15 years"? Say it isn't so! sarcastic.gif spin.gif

Oh, don't egg him on further to get the last word. Let the thread be steered toward something more constructive.
hobgoblin
hmm, is there any way for the conjurer or whoever else is posessed to remain in control but access the powers of the spirit?
Lebo77
What would happen if a spirit of... say... Man, posessed a drone which was as the time being jumped into by a hacker/rigger? Who wold be in controll of the drone? Would the spirit know the drone was actively being controlled from elsewhere? Would the rigger detect somethig was wrong?

While a spirit can posess a gun, the rules say that the spirit can fire the gun and eject the clip but not aim or effect any electronic accessories. What if a spirit with Psychokenesis were to posess a gun? Could the spirit use it's psychokenetic power to "pick itself up" and aim?
booklord
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
hmm, is there any way for the conjurer or whoever else is posessed to remain in control but access the powers of the spirit?

If they follow the SR3 Loa example then probably not. Though really as long as the spirit is sympathetic to possessed goals I see little reason to not let the player control the now possessed character. Assuming that in real-life they don't qualify as unaware in their role-playing skill and that they don't abuse the priviledge by doing things the spirit obviously wouldn't do. ( For example someone possessed by a fire spirit wouldn't jump in a lake )
Lebo77
QUOTE (booklord)
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Aug 10 2006, 05:38 PM)

If they follow the SR3 Loa example then probably not. Though really as long as the spirit is sympathetic to possessed goals I see little reason to not let the player control the now possessed character. Assuming that in real-life they don't qualify as unaware in their role-playing skill and that they don't abuse the priviledge by doing things the spirit obviously wouldn't do. ( For example someone possessed by a fire spirit wouldn't jump in a lake )

There is a metamagical ability that allows it. It's in Street Magic and it's called "Channeling" if I can recall right. There are a few minor downsides. There is also a sidebar that allows the PC to play "friendly" spirits who are rideing them.

Even without this however, the mage who summoned the spirit can allways give the spirit commands they are bound to obey. However the spirit does not have access to the mage's skills or abilities.
Brahm
QUOTE (Geekkake @ Aug 10 2006, 12:33 PM)
In context, I see a case for both.

Call it fluff, call it comment, call it a pig tied up with a pretty bow. That this still the closest the book ever gets to describing the effect. It certainly provides no direct, or even indirect, statements about the Natural Immunity allowing physical attacks to pass through. So in truth Lebo77 has, with Devil's Advocate post, provided an excellent case against it. Without even getting into Street Magic where there is more.

In any event the unreconcilable contridiction between different parts of the books is an artifical creation of Lebo77's.
QUOTE (Geekkake)
QUOTE (Brahm @ Aug 10 2006, 12:08 PM)
Yup.  I am done.

Oh, don't egg him on further to get the last word. Let the thread be steered toward something more constructive.

Hehe, but it is funny to read those statements from him. nyahnyah.gif Ok, ok. So maybe it is also a waste of time to read them. Very well, I'll stop [publicly] enjoying a chuckle at his expense. nyahnyah.gif
James McMurray
QUOTE (Geekkake)
QUOTE (Brahm @ Aug 10 2006, 12:08 PM)
Yup.  I am done.

Are you familiar with Brahm? His "I'm done with this" translates roughly to "I'm done with this unless you don't let me have the last word, in which case I'll post again, even going so far as to repetitively post the same nonsensical thing every time you make a post aimed at me." LOL

But I've found if you keep poking back he eventually gets tired of it and wanders away, making life better for almost everyone involved. smile.gif
LilithTaveril
QUOTE (Brahm)
QUOTE (Geekkake @ Aug 10 2006, 12:33 PM)
In context, I see a case for both.

Call it fluff, call it comment, call it a pig tied up with a pretty bow. That this still the closest the book ever gets to describing the effect. It certainly provides no direct, or even indirect, statements about the Natural Immunity allowing physical attacks to pass through. So in truth Lebo77 has, with Devil's Advocate post, provided an excellent case against it. Without even getting into Street Magic where there is more.

In any event the unreconcilable contridiction between different parts of the books is an artifical creation of Lebo77's.

Wow... managing to insult both Geekkake and myself in one go. Unless Geekkake's got a lot more estrogen than I'm thinking. Maybe next time, you can set a kitten on fire as part of a lesson in keeping cats off stoves.

Actually, you could have used this one instead. This is undeniably fluff:

The critter has an extremely tough hide that offers some protection from attacks. A critter with this power has a natural Armor rating that is cumulative with any external armor worn. Critter armor is divided into Ballistic and Impact components, the same as character armor.

However, Lobo's point may be based off of the text of the Engulf power, which does suggest some ability for objects and other such items to pass through an air spirit.

Just saying that your evidence was on very, very shaky ground.
Brahm
QUOTE (LilithTaveril @ Aug 10 2006, 01:11 PM)
Wow... managing to insult both Geekkake and myself in one go. Unless Geekkake's got a lot more estrogen than I'm thinking. Maybe next time, you can set a kitten on fire as part of a lesson in keeping cats off stoves.

Without even trying! Whoot! biggrin.gif Seriously though, what are you talking about? The 'pig with a pretty bow' is refering to the section of text, the rose by another name as it were, if that is what is bothering you?
However, Lobo's point may be based off of the text of the Engulf power, which does suggest some ability for objects and other such items to pass through an air spirit.

However you don't have to break the barrier of the spirit to be engulfed, it can just be changing form to mold around you, as though you were being swallowed.

If one part can be satisfied by A or B and another part strongly suggests A? Where does logic bring you down on?

Oh sure, it is 'shaky'. It is something that isn't explained extensively. Which makes the idea that there is an irreconcilable contradiction even sillier. Like I already said it is largely irrelavent which description is used, because [the lack of contradiction] is the point.

Now onto checkers. Black! smile.gif
FrankTrollman
Spirits do in fact "look like" they are composed of all kinds of stuff and are "actually" composed of the same types of spirit stuff, more or less. Even the people in the Shadwrun world know this:

QUOTE (Streetmagic @ p. 90)
Spirits appear on initial inspection to incorporate a great
diversity of materials into their corporeal forms, from water to bone, fire to plasteel. After decades of study, it appears that the materialized forms of spirits are not actually composed of previously recognized substances. Indeed, the studies of Halthmer et al. demonstrate basic property equivalencies in the constituent
structures present in earth elementals and the spirit of Mt. Rainier. The most commonly accepted interpretation of their data is that spirits are largely composed of some kind of common arcane material regardless of apparent structure—a recombinant protoplasm that replicates function, mass, texture and properties near enough as to provide no physical difference.

> In English, that means that a spirit is just as dangerous if it looks like a little girl with a lollipop as it is if it looks like a swordwielding oni. A spirit can cut you in half just as well with a cardboard tube as with a katana.
> Sticks

Fear the Tube.

-Frank
Mr. Unpronounceable
So, has anyone told the Penny-Arcade guys they've been referenced in a tabletop rpg yet?
James McMurray
Where were they referenced?
LilithTaveril
QUOTE (Brahm)
QUOTE (LilithTaveril @ Aug 10 2006, 01:11 PM)

Without even trying! Whoot! biggrin.gif Seriously though, what are you talking about? The 'pig with a pretty bow' is refering to the section of text, the rose by another name as it were, if that is what is bothering you?

Um, go up to who you gave credit to the comment to...

However you don't have to break the barrier of the spirit to be engulfed, it can just be changing form to mold around you, as though you were being swallowed.

Hey, I'm just suggesting basis. Like I said, I lack the book. But, I think Frank provided a much better comment you should pay attention to.

If one part can be satisfied by A or B and another part strongly suggests A? Where does logic bring you down on?

Oh sure, it is 'shaky'. It is something that isn't explained extensively. Which makes the idea that there is an irreconcilable contradiction even sillier. Like I already said it is largely irrelavent which description is used, because [the lack of contradiction] is the point.

Except that you were trying to provide an example of fluff that was not contradicting the ruleset and instead provided something that is arguably not fluff. Whether or not it's fluff is what makes the evidence you provided shaky. If not fluff, you failed to support your own argument.
SL James
QUOTE (Streetmagic @ p. 90)

> In English, that means that a spirit is just as dangerous if it looks like a little girl with a lollipop as it is if it looks like a swordwielding oni. A spirit can cut you in half just as well with a cardboard tube as with a katana.
> Sticks

The Tube is Civilization!

James McMurray, the PA reference was to the Cardboard Tube Samurai.
James McMurray
Wow. That was a waste of five minutes. Now I remember why I stopped reading penny arcade. frown.gif
mfb
haha, i forgot how great that stuff is. McMurray, i find your lack of artistic and comedic appreciation appalling!
SL James
I'm just going to chalk it up to the crazy.
mfb
one of the weird mutagenic effects of playing too much SR4, maybe? i also hear it gives you rabies!
James McMurray
I thought it was my discerning, civilized, and sophisticated nature, dumbasses. nyahnyah.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012