Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Isn't possession overpowered?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Demonseed Elite
QUOTE (Brahm)
I suppose that is why it got it's own multipage sidebar?

Yes.
mfb
QUOTE (Demonseed Elite)
This was something the writers and playtesters went back and forth on for a long time. Probably the single-most reviewed mechanic in the book.

well, you failed to please the guys who don't play SR4. feel bad! WRITHE!
Shrike30
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
Sadly, a posessed answering machine is out of the question. grinbig.gif

Wait till SOTA '72 nyahnyah.gif
Demonseed Elite
You know I cry myself to sleep over this, mfb!
Brahm

rotfl.gif

P.S. Mets and exceeds promise? 6 minutes. - Check! wink.gif
mfb
Sadly, a posessed answering machine is out of the question.

you could probably make a case for possession of inanimate objects based on realism, using that as your proof.
Brahm
QUOTE (Shrike30)
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Aug 8 2006, 03:20 PM)

Wait till SOTA '72 nyahnyah.gif

You just need one of those old reel-to-reel jobs out of the museum. cool.gif
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (mfb)
you could probably make a case for possession of inanimate objects based on realism, using that as your proof.

Just because you don't know Sam 'n Max doesn't mean I'm out to prove anything.
hobgoblin
QUOTE ("mfb")

go rewrite SR3 to your liking, shoo... silly.gif

i dont have a problem with a posessed vehicle, could be fun to spring on the players at some point nyahnyah.gif

maybe they are supposed to get the vehicle of a person that have a classical qabbala teaching, but had some kind of mind altering experience that lead him to try and make a golem out of a car?

then he have died and we then have a free spirit inside a car wink.gif then have it be some kind of collectors item (thats why the johnson wants it) and just sit back and watch things create itself.

all in all they create a single, unified posession rule that have the ability to have a limitation placed on it. sure it creates some stuff, but it still means that you only have to learn one rule rather then 5 variants on the same rule and then wonder what to apply in a given situation.

i for one welcome the streamlining...
mfb
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
go rewrite SR3 to your liking, shoo...

hey, these things take time.
Synner
The Possession rules were one aspect of Street Magic we seriously fiddled about with (and not to everyone's content). From the beginning we wanted to introduce a streamlined mechanic (SR3 had 8 different Possession-type abilities) which allowed similar types of possession effects under different rules, varying slightly depending on whether the target is living or not. We also wanted to make sure Inhabitation worked on the same mechanic.

It's up to the GM to enforce the color associated with each tradition and its spirits in his own game. Some GMs prefer to describe shamanic spirits the same way they describe hermetic spirits (note - I actually quite liked the way the various traditions are contrasted in the various fiction pieces), while others will make a point of describing them differently. Some GMs will have no problem with a qabbalist investing a car with a spirit, while other GMs will suggest that elohim will have a difficult time working out how to get a V8 engine to work.

Possessing something like a vehicle or a commlink requires beating a threshold of 4 which makes it highly unlikely even for high power spirits (this is slightly easier if the vehicle is first enchanted - at great expense). Additionally spirits cannot control certain functions and abilities (no electronics, AR, DNI, etc).

For the record, innanimate vessels in SR4 include dead bodies (voodoo zombies), purpose-made homunculi (golems, wickermen, wax figurines), and other object you can think of (lamps, gris-gris jars, etc) - different traditions will prefer different options and it is the tradition is what dictates whether spirits are Materializing or Possessing.
hobgoblin
are possession and materialization mutualy exclusive or could one potentialy have some odd tradition that allow both?

ugh, i just had this idea for a corrupted serial killer that have possession for his spirits rather then materialization...
Samaels Ghost
Just curious, what would a spirit possessing a commlink be capable of doing? He wouldn't he able to manipulate the comm, but would he be able to protect it with powers? (Concealment, Elemental attacks,etc.)
stevebugge
QUOTE (Samaels Ghost)
Just curious, what would a spirit possessing a commlink be capable of doing? He wouldn't he able to manipulate the comm, but would he be able to protect it with powers? (Concealment, Elemental attacks,etc.)

Maybe it could shoot out cassette tapes that transform in to animals and robots
Brahm
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Aug 8 2006, 06:04 PM)
are possession and materialization mutualy exclusive or could one potentialy have some odd tradition that allow both?

I've only come across text talking about Possession in place of Materialization. So I don't think it would be canon to allow both. Certainly not in one spirit, but it seems to be a qualifier you put on the whole tradition. So I don't think you can have the substitution on a spirit by spirit case, or even switch between on spirit type by spirit type.
Samaels Ghost
QUOTE (stevebugge)
QUOTE (Samaels Ghost @ Aug 8 2006, 03:05 PM)

Are you being sarcastic? biggrin.gif
stevebugge
QUOTE (Samaels Ghost)
QUOTE (stevebugge @ Aug 8 2006, 06:06 PM)

Absolutely, that and seeing how long it takes for someone to run with the reference grinbig.gif
Synner
Yes, Materialization and Possession are mutually exclusive. As Brahm indicated it the distinction is something that happens on a tradition level. A tradition either views its spirits as being capable of one thing or another.

QUOTE (Samaels Ghost @ Aug 8 2006 @ 03:05 PM)

It would be able to control any mechanical functions of the device (in this case not many) and use any of its powers on the physical plane.
hobgoblin
hmm, if the spirits could summon each other, and could change the size and shape of the objects they possess...
Brahm
QUOTE (stevebugge @ Aug 8 2006, 06:09 PM)
QUOTE (Samaels Ghost @ Aug 8 2006, 03:08 PM)
QUOTE (stevebugge @ Aug 8 2006, 06:06 PM)

Absolutely, that and seeing how long it takes for someone to run with the reference grinbig.gif

I was ready to have my Western Star tractor-truck run over the reference, but then Emilio Estevez thwarted the plan. frown.gif
Casper
QUOTE (Brahm)

I was ready to have my Peterbilt run over the reference, but then Emilio Estevez thwarted the plan. frown.gif

But what force spirit would be able to possess the Peterbilt. grinbig.gif

/got nothin
Brahm
Stupid huge Force. That's why instead I rely on radioactive space storms!

P.S. It has come to my attention that it is actually a Western Star. It was the Steven Speilberg flick Duel that used a Peterbilt. Doh. embarrassed.gif
Shrike30
QUOTE (stevebugge)

*sets you on fire*
SL James
QUOTE (Demonseed Elite @ Aug 8 2006, 04:19 PM)
It is already a bit of a general rule. We do say on page 102: "Ultimately, it’s up to the gamemaster to rule what the spirit can control and what it can’t." So if a GM wants to say that a spirit can not control a Corvette and make it drive, it's within his power to do so. He'll have to explain to his PCs why a spirit might not be able to make a car drive around but can make a corpse walk, but that's his call.

This was something the writers and playtesters went back and forth on for a long time. Probably the single-most reviewed mechanic in the book.

The focus possession argument annoys me only insofar as maybe foci shouldn't be made out of commlinks and dikoted AVS pistols. Then it wouldn't exactly be a stretch to allow the mechanic to allow something like a possessed focus made of basic natural materials--which also allows exactly for the creation of Golems from earthen clay.
Synner
QUOTE (SL James)
The focus possession argument annoys me only insofar as maybe foci shouldn't be made out of commlinks and dikoted AVS pistols. Then it wouldn't exactly be a stretch to allow the mechanic to allow something like a possessed focus made of basic natural materials--which also allows exactly for the creation of Golems from earthen clay.

The mechanic is designed around the Object Resistance chart to allow both base natural materials (clay, wicker, dead bodies) and highly processed materials (cars, dikoted sliverguns and commlinks). Obviously the former is much easier to accomplish (the latter requires 5 hits on a Force x2 roll while a dead body or clay homunculi requires only 2).

Enchanting any and all of the above as "prepared vessels" facilitates Possession (suffice it to say that enchanting a commlink, a house or a car is not simple or inexpensive and requires multiple parts be enchanted separately).

Finally Possession does not enhance any of a device's technological and electronic abilities, nor does it allow the spirit to use a device's non-mechanical functions. So telling your loa spirit to possess your dikoted monoblade rather than the body of a fallen security guard or a teammate is not the best of ideas in most situations.
Oracle
QUOTE (Synner)
So telling your loa spirit to possess your dikoted monoblade[...]is not the best of ideas in most situations.

Well, it's cool. And it's another step to the dikoted ally spirit...biggrin.gif
Serbitar
Hey Synner. I really like the way you are answering questions about SM and try to motivate the desicions. Thats what this board really lacks: Input from the rule developers, and immediate answers concering rules questions.
Serbitar
I havent found it in the book yet: Does a possessed weapon count as magical concering immunity to normal weapons?
Synner
All possessed vessels count as having Immunity to Normal Weapons and being dual-natured, however, it is not currently possible to stack vessel enchantment with foci enchantment (this should have been a little clearer in the book) - so for the time being no Immune weapon foci.

Hey Synner. I really like the way you are answering questions about SM and try to motivate the desicions. Thats what this board really lacks: Input from the rule developers, and immediate answers concering rules questions.

Keep in mind that DSF is not an official FanPro board and my comments are not binding (at least until they appear on FAQs or errata).
Serbitar
Dumpshock is as close to an offical Fanpro Forum as it gets (Ok, we have the German ones, but thats completely dev free). And Id rather have an unoffical comment from a rules developer than no comment at all.

Keep up the good work.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Synner)
Keep in mind that DSF is not an official FanPro board

Perhaps not, but Dumpshock's URL is on the credits page for Street Magic. That counts for something.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Serbitar)
(Ok, we have the German ones, but thats completely dev free)

Not really... but there's too much noise.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Synner)
All possessed vessels count as having Immunity to Normal Weapons and being dual-natured, however, it is not currently possible to stack vessel enchantment with foci enchantment (this should have been a little clearer in the bok) - so for the time being no Immune weapon foci.

It was more about the question whether the physical attacks from a spirit, materialized or posessed, defeat ItnW.
Oracle
A red Corvette with Immunity to normal weapons?? Sweeeeeet! biggrin.gif

EDIT: Fixed some typos.
Smokeskin
It is really great getting developer feedback, official or not.

Grinder
QUOTE (Serbitar @ Aug 9 2006, 10:55 AM)
(Ok, we have the German ones, but thats completely dev free)

Not really... but there's too much noise.

Who cares about the german developers anyway?
Rotbart van Dainig
The SystemFailure-Fluff concerning CaptainChaos was written by LabRat.
Grinder
Yeah, and he worked on Street Magic too. But for the last crappy translated books and the german setting (that is still not fixed) I have no love for the german team.
venenum
Yes posseion is powerfull but not all that powerfull. Its gets moch more powerfull when you have a lot of karma. As in make an allied fire spirit, for a intiation rite and take the channeling metamagic you are know pretty much invincible, flame aura, flame blast, and whatever cool powers you decieded to give it but over all the karma cost is over 20 so it would take some time, but ehhh. I am plaing on doing this for a prime runner but using a plant spirit instead.
Dender

well, thats too bad. Its better than no messages at all, really
Samaels Ghost
Does having your armor possessed give the wearer immunity to normal weapons?
Brahm
QUOTE (Samaels Ghost)

It would given the armor Immunity to Normal Weapons. It might make some sense that it would increase their armor rating, but there don't appear to be any rules for it. So basically by canon there is no support for that improving the protection of the wearer.
Lebo77
QUOTE (Brahm)
QUOTE (Samaels Ghost @ Aug 9 2006, 02:38 PM)

It would given the armor Immunity to Normal Weapons. It might make some sense that it would increase their armor rating, but there don't appear to be any rules for it. So basically by canon there is no support for that improving the protection of the wearer.

especially in some cases. I have always imagined (for example) an air spirit's immunity coming not from the arrack bouncing off, but simply PASSING THROUGH. A fire spirit might work similarly or it could burn the bullets up before they reach it. In either case, the "immunity" of the armor would be of little use to the one wearing it. In fact, if it were interpreted that way, one COULD make an argument for sending your spirit to inhabit your enemy's armor! eek.gif

(Note: This is strictly fluff here. I am not proposing that players go out and use this)
Brahm
QUOTE (Lebo77 @ Aug 9 2006, 02:57 PM)
I have always imagined (for example) an air spirit's immunity coming not from the arrack bouncing off, but simply PASSING THROUGH.

If that was the case the AP values of weapons shouldn't actually help in any manner.
Lebo77
QUOTE (Brahm)
I have always imagined (for example) an air spirit's immunity coming not from the arrack bouncing off, but simply PASSING THROUGH.

If that was the case the AP values of weapons shouldn't actually help in any manner.

See my note above. My comments were FLUFF, your reply is CRUNCHY.

The in game description and the game mechanic do NOT need to be in perfect harmony unless you are shooting for complete "realism", and if you are then SR is not the system for you. Go play "Wound Balistics, the RPG" or something.
Geekkake
QUOTE (Lebo77)
QUOTE (Brahm @ Aug 9 2006, 03:01 PM)

See my note above. My comments were FLUFF, your reply is CRUNCHY.

The in game description and the game mechanic do NOT need to be in perfect harmony unless you are shooting for complete "realism", and if you are then SR is not the system for you. Go play "Wound Balistics, the RPG" or something.

Easy, tiger. He's just trying to make things jibe, a little.
Brahm
QUOTE (Lebo77 @ Aug 9 2006, 03:07 PM)
See my note above.  My comments were FLUFF, your reply is CRUNCHY.

The in game description and the game mechanic do NOT need to be in perfect harmony unless you are shooting for complete "realism", and if you are then SR is not the system for you.  Go play "Wound Balistics, the RPG" or something.

Then why have the fluff at all? Because when you fluff that then either:
a) players get real confused when APDS actually helps.
b) the GM starts visualizing in the fluff way of seeing things, and then works the rules backwards to match it so that much ass kicking by the spirit ensues.
c) players buy into the vision and don't think to use APDS, and much ass kicking by the spirit ensues.

My GM, generally speaking a very good GM, fell into 'b)' on this exact same topic using the exact same vision as you described.

Basically it is a bad practice to use fluff that so drastically deviates from the reality of the rules because fluff isn't meaningless. It is an important part of how players and GMs understand the game world to work. Especially when an alternative version of describing how it works is readily available.
Moon-Hawk
I agree. Fluff is for where the rules don't matter. Fluff shouldn't contradict the crunchy bits, it should be in between the crunchy bits. Or else your crunchy bits get all soggy. And then you have to see a doctor. (I stopped making sense after "fluff shouldn't contradict the crunchy bits", I think)
Lebo77
QUOTE (Brahm)
QUOTE (Lebo77 @ Aug 9 2006, 03:07 PM)
See my note above.  My comments were FLUFF, your reply is CRUNCHY.

The in game description and the game mechanic do NOT need to be in perfect harmony unless you are shooting for complete "realism", and if you are then SR is not the system for you.  Go play "Wound Balistics, the RPG" or something.

Then why have the fluff at all? Because when you fluff that then either:
a) players get real confused when APDS actually helps.
b) the GM starts visualizing in the fluff way of seeing things, and then works the rules backwards to match it so that much ass kicking by the spirit ensues.
c) players buy into the vision and don't think to use APDS, and much ass kicking by the spirit ensues.

My GM, generally speaking very good GM, feel into 'b)' on this exact same topic using the exact same vision as you described.

Basically it is a bad practice to use fluff that so drastically deviates from the reality of the rules because fluff isn't meaningless. It is an important part of how players and GMs understand the game world to work. Especially when an alternative version of describing how it works is readily available.

OK, I will play devil's advocate and turn the issue on it's head:

Why should APDS work beter against things immune to normal weapons? Are sub-caliber tungsten darts somehow less "normal" then copper jacketed lead rounds of aproximately the same size? I understand that is how the RAW works presently, but it appears to defy understanding. The power is called "immunity to normal weapons" not "A lot of hardened armor". Also, manefested spirits are not killed, they are "disrupted". I can can visualize how a grenade or large cannon round could "disrupt"
a creature of pure magical energy given solid form. I fail to see how a small piece of high-velocity lead, no matter how accurately placed could force the physical form to disipate in the same way (by blowing the "mass" of the creature all over the room.)

A related question: Why are Tazers and Stick-n-Shock so much more effective against spirits then bullets? Do spirits have a Central nervous system which can be disrupted by modulated electrical shocks the way a (meta)human's can? This is especialy true in the case of Air and fire spirits, some of whom have ben described in fluf text as existing in the gassious (or plasmatic) state.

Personaly, I feel like non-magical PCs and NPCs SHOULD be essentialy helpless against high-force spirits. Let the mages and Killing-hands (or weapon focus) equipped players deal with them. You want to shoot them with a grenade and pray? OK, that migth do something. You want to make an "attack of will" against it (see Street Magic)? Great! Personaly but I don't think it would make much diffrence if you said that successses (or called shot) don't count for stageing up damage against immune spirits. Shooting a pistol against a F-6 Spirit is typicly an excercise in futility now (most of the time, baring an elven pistol god fireing APDS or something), the change woudl not be that significant.
Brahm
QUOTE (Lebo77 @ Aug 9 2006, 03:41 PM)
OK, I will play devil's advocate and turn the issue on it's head:

<snipped an excellect example of 'b)'>

Exactly. Following backwards to changing the rules to fit the made up vision that doesn't fit the the rules.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012