Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Yamaha Sakura Fubuki...SMG?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
The Jopp
(EDIT: DOH, Meant Machine pistols in the header, not SMG.)

Ok, after reading about the gun and made some calculation about the "supposed" size of this weapon, ammo capacity, firing modes etc - and then comparing it to Machine Pistols I'm more and more convinced that this weapon was supposed to be in the Machine Pistols section instead of Light Pistols.

It's basically a MP in a light pistol package - and TONS more efficient that the other ones - ok, the pricetag is steep and somewhat unrealistic but not even that justifies the efficiency and especially the -2 concealability modifier.
Samaels Ghost
I think it's classified as that because of it's awesome recoil. Also, without moving parts, I guess they figure it can be considerably smaller than those machine psitols. Therefore smaller and highly concealable.
The Jopp
QUOTE (Samaels Ghost)
I think it's classified as that because of it's awesome recoil. Also, without moving parts, I guess they figure it can be considerably smaller than those machine psitols. Therefore smaller and highly concealable.

Awesome recoil? It has NO recoil on the first shot, and a -1 on the second one that is reduced to 0 thanks to the folding stock. indifferent.gif

That's TWO bursts with no recoil...

Even though it MIGHT be smaller it has 4 barrels compared to a normal MP's 1 barrel. A standard machine pistol is most likely shorter in total lenght since most of the clip is inside the handle of the gun.
SCARed
QUOTE (The Jopp)
Awesome recoil? It has NO recoil on the first shot, and a -1 on the second one that is reduced to 0 thanks to the folding stock. indifferent.gif

That's TWO bursts with no recoil...

Even though it MIGHT be smaller it has 4 barrels compared to a normal MP's 1 barrel. A standard machine pistol is most likely shorter in total lenght since most of the clip is inside the handle of the gun.

for that reason, the recoil IS awesome, not awful.

concerning the concealability: remember that the Fubuki has no "magazine" like the Ceska or the Steyr. so it actually could be smaller (and therefore easier to be concealed.) ant i think the image in the BBB is completly nonsense. it would make much more sense to arrange the barrel in a square. the way it is shown in the BBB it would be as horrible to hide as an MP, i agree.
The Jopp
QUOTE (SCARed @ Aug 17 2006, 09:01 AM)

concerning the concealability: remember that the Fubuki has no "magazine" like the Ceska or the Steyr. so it actually could be smaller (and therefore easier to be concealed.)

Im not so sure, most of them have their magazine inside the hadle of the gun, and the Fubuki has all the ammo in front of the handle, within the barrels who then needs to be longer in order to give any kind of accuracy. (Ammo stacking+extra barrel lenght)

If one goes by the illustrations the Fubuki has less "height" above the handle but instead increased "lenght" due to barrel design in front of the handle.
Adarael
Know what's more awesome?

An Ares Alpha with 6 points of total recoil compensation.

I reiterate the Super-Mach 100 SMG statement: "Great, now we can flatten light rounds against armor faster than ever before."

Sure, the Fubuki is good. But it's still a mite small.
The Jopp
Well, my argument against the Fubuki is mainly the concealability - perception tests to see it is at a -2, a Machine Pistol has +2 to perception and it sure fits the bill as a MP.

With Longcoat and Concealed Holster you get a total of -6 perception modifier to see it and that's just silly...
Aaron
When I do up stats for the Sakura Fubuki, I just call it a light pistol and factor in the burst fire. When you think about it, it's just a light pistol that does 6P damage and can fire ten rounds before being reloaded, with a bit of fluff that says it's firing four rounds rather than one.
Slithery D
It's not really an MP at all. It's a futuristic usable version of Metalstorm (google it), which isn't a traditional gun at all. If you want to keep the size small but impose a penalty, make the ammo hard to get and very expensive. The Metalstorm, if I recall correctly, uses something pretty close to "solid state" ammo that is all one pieces with alternating gunpowder and bullets manufactured as a whole in layers. That takes up less room than actual individual bullets lined up in a row - this thing doesn't really use traditional light pistol ammo.
FanGirl
QUOTE (SCARed)
QUOTE (The Jopp)

That's TWO bursts with no recoil....

Yeah, you do know that recoil is a bad thing, right?
hobgoblin
i could have sworn that i have seen this discussion atleast ones before...

and the end of the story is, do not use the art to define the stats.

this as the artist may just have gotten a basic explanation as to how the gun works, not what stats it will have. and added to the problem by drawing it as a cool rather then practical gun.

allso, i think the clasifications of hold-out, light and heavy have more to do with damage then size wink.gif so in the end its a freaking big machine pistol as it fires light pistol strength ammo nyahnyah.gif

given that there isnt a set concealability for each item this time round, just ramp it closer to a SMG in your game and have fun...
Austere Emancipator
Well not this exact discussion, but I know I've taken part in something similar, oh, about a dozen times.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (FanGirl)
QUOTE (SCARed @ Aug 17 2006, 04:01 AM)
QUOTE (The Jopp)

The recoil is awesome because it is so low that it inspires awe.

However, it is not nearly as awesome as a Ares Viper Slivergun with a Gas Vent.
Shrike30
Unlike a machine pistol, the YSF is only capable of firing short, narrow bursts. Unlike a heavy pistol (running 5/-1), the YSF gets to calculate things like armor piercing using a base 4/0 damage code, which means that while it gets a +2 DV after you figure in the burst, it's more likely than a heavy pistol to flatten against armor. The burst-fire mode really isn't that impressive in terms of jacking your damage up, and means you're going to be running through ammunition at 3x the rate (and 3x the cost, correspondingly) of any other pistol.

I think it's cute, and I'm glad it's in the game because it promotes some variety. But it's not particularly broken, so I'm not going to worry about tweaking it at all.

Besides, loading half your barrels with Gel, the other half with APDS, and then smartgun-selecting which ammo type is fired allows for some amusing times smile.gif
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Shrike30)
Besides, loading half your barrels with Gel, the other half with APDS, and then smartgun-selecting which ammo type is fired allows for some amusing times smile.gif

Why stop there? wink.gif
Load one barrel for every occasion.
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
QUOTE (FanGirl @ Aug 17 2006, 10:55 AM)
QUOTE (SCARed @ Aug 17 2006, 04:01 AM)
QUOTE (The Jopp)

The recoil is awesome because it is so low that it inspires awe.

However, it is not nearly as awesome as a Ares Viper Slivergun with a Gas Vent.

And you are gas-venting a pistol... how? Only Machine Pistols, SMGs, Assault Rifles, and Machine Guns are applicable for Gas Vents.
Ravor
Well considering that it is possible to Gas Vent Pistols today, I've always houseruled that you can do so provided you're willing to pay extra. (As a disclaimer, that is according to a DS Poster who provided a link that I didn't have time to check out, but I believe him.)

Also although I don't have my book handy at the moment, I seem to recall that one of the pistols in the book as being discribed as having a built in Gas Vent by default...
Dr. Dodge
man the picture of the YSF just confuses the hell out of me.
Shrike30
QUOTE (Ravor)
Well considering that it is possible to Gas Vent Pistols today, I've always houseruled that you can do so provided you're willing to pay extra. (As a disclaimer, that is according to a DS Poster who provided a link that I didn't have time to check out, but I believe him.)

Also although I don't have my book handy at the moment, I seem to recall that one of the pistols in the book as being discribed as having a built in Gas Vent by default...

This is true... compensated handguns exist today.

However, there hasn't been any errata correcting the list of items that can have a Gas Vent applied to them to include pistols or shotguns, so I tend to think it was a game balance choice to disallow that particular combo. The Hammerli circumvents this by having a non-existent accessory (a rating 1 gas vent) built into it.

What's confusing about the YSF picture? You've got 4 barrels stacked on top of each other.

Load one barrel for every occasion.

Nifty thought, but I like having more than 3 bursts and one semi's worth of a particular ammo type available. Pick your lethal round and your nonlethal round of choice, and go to town...
Slithery D
QUOTE (Dr. Dodge)
man the picture of the YSF just confuses the hell out of me.

It's four barrels with a special kind of "stick" ammo, or at least it would be if it's like Metalstorm. The stick alternates bullet/propellant, maybe with some sort of electronic contacts mixed in. You pull the trigger for burst fire and it electronically fires the front round, the second round, and the third round in more or less immediate succession, so they leave the barrel almost as one. That's why you can't fire wide bursts.
Lagomorph
QUOTE (Ravor)

Er, something like this? http://www.glock.com/compensator.htm
LilithTaveril
Considering it's four barrels, is it possible it only does a single shot from each barrel at max? Technically, that would be a SS weapon that does burst-fire damage and, if only two barrels fire at a time, handles recoil like an SA.
Samaels Ghost
QUOTE (LilithTaveril)
Considering it's four barrels, is it possible it only does a single shot from each barrel at max? Technically, that would be a SS weapon that does burst-fire damage and, if only two barrels fire at a time, handles recoil like an SA.

I thought that was EXACTLY how that thing worked.
James McMurray
I thought it worked by firing one round from each barrel per shot, mimicking autofire by spitting out multiple bullets, and lessening recoil by not having them come out in rapid succession. But what do I knw? smile.gif
LilithTaveril
QUOTE (Samaels Ghost)
QUOTE (LilithTaveril @ Aug 17 2006, 04:25 PM)

I thought that was EXACTLY how that thing worked.

As James demonstrates, a lack of explaining how it works allows multiple interpretations.
Samaels Ghost
Maybe I misunderstood. I think what James described is what I was thinking. I wasn't sure what you meant, Lilith embarrassed.gif
LilithTaveril
He has it firing four shots at once and I have it firing two. His has all four barrels shooting, I have it alternating between one set of two and another.
Samaels Ghost
I thought they fired one after another in rapid succession.

like...

b-b-b-b

not

bb-bb
LilithTaveril
And there's interpretation #3.
hobgoblin
and then there is bbb-bbb-bbb-bbb, or bbb from a selected barrel...
Lagomorph
don't forget Phthbtbtbtbbt too silly.gif
The Jopp
Personligen så tycker jag den låter antingen:

BRPPP!

eller:

FRRMP!

grinbig.gif grinbig.gif grinbig.gif
The Jopp
The funny thing is that it has four barrels, and accepts four barrel mounts…

This means that you could get (with 4 gas vent 3) a total of 12 in recoil compensation, not counting the folding stock. It will cost a LOT since you need to buy four gas vents but hey, nice recoil comp. grinbig.gif

Hopefully Arsenal will allow us to modify firing modes on guns later on...13 bullets in FA without recoil...
Oracle
Other interpretation: You need four gas vents to receive the effect of a single gas vent on a normal weapon. nyahnyah.gif
LilithTaveril
Now, if they introduce two more gas vents with the equipment book, imagine how high you can get it...

Convert the Gas Vent 4 from SR3. 17 bullets, no recoil.
hyzmarca
Consdering that it is based on Metal Storm, it should be possible to fire a 40-round burst from the Fubuki.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (The Jopp)
It will cost a LOT since you need to buy four gas vents but hey, nice recoil comp.

..for every barrel you ever use - those barrels are discarded.
LilithTaveril
Which, if you're smart, you'll pick up afterwards. Why leave behind expensive modified barrels?
The Jopp
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
QUOTE (The Jopp @ Aug 18 2006, 10:49 AM)
It will cost a LOT since you need to buy four gas vents but hey, nice recoil comp.

..for every barrel you ever use - those barrels are discarded.

They only say that they are preloaded, not one use only. This means that one could probably reload them oneself - with appropriate skills of course.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (LilithTaveril)
Which, if you're smart, you'll pick up afterwards. Why leave behind expensive modified barrels?

That'd depend on whether or not you can reload said barrels, which considering the unique nature of the Sakura, may or may not be the case (and of course, the book doesn't specify).
LilithTaveril
QUOTE (RunnerPaul @ Aug 18 2006, 06:36 AM)
QUOTE (LilithTaveril @ Aug 18 2006, 06:27 AM)

That'd depend on whether or not you can reload said barrels, which considering the unique nature of the Sakura, may or may not be the case (and of course, the book doesn't specify).

Look at the terminology: It uses the barrels instead of a standard magazine, and lacks any terminology to indicate that, other than firing, there is a difference between a barrel and a standard magazine. The problem is that it requires extraction from other data.

Oh, and looking it up, the gun only fires two bullets per burst. It specifies the gun fires short bursts. In SR4, that's not directly defined, but it is in SR3. It's two bullets. That means it only fires two barrels when it fires in burst mode, or one barrel two times. Considering it's SA recoil, this means two barrels firing. The rule carried over, but they forgot to define the term. I'll check the errata, but I suspect this is something they forgot and need to errata.
LilithTaveril
Page 312, Reloading firearms. Complex action to reload 1 muzzle tube. Yes, the Fubuki barrels are reloadable. Especially considering how close to magazines they are in design. May require to treat like a clip (which, in truth, isn't something you use in guns that require box magazines).
Smokeskin
That stick over the fubuki pic is probably a stack of bullets. That actually looks like you replace the entire barrel, notice how the tip of it is exactly like the tip of the barrels.
LilithTaveril
So, basically, treat it like a weapon with multiple magazines and reloading the barrels as reloading magazines. Only, in this case, it fires shots from two "magazines" at once. There. We've fixed a flaw they had in the printing.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (LilithTaveril)
Oh, and looking it up, the gun only fires two bullets per burst. It specifies the gun fires short bursts. In SR4, that's not directly defined, but it is in SR3. It's two bullets. That means it only fires two barrels when it fires in burst mode, or one barrel two times. Considering it's SA recoil, this means two barrels firing.

The SR3 term "Short Burst" seems to have been replaced by the the heading title "Not Enough Bullets" in the appropriate places in the SR4 autofire rules. Lacking any indication that the phrase "short burst" is intended to be rules terminology for SR4, I'm lead to belive that where it's included in the description of the Sakura, it's a colorful phase and part of the fluff.

RunnerPaul
QUOTE (LilithTaveril @ Aug 18 2006, 06:54 AM)
Page 312, Reloading firearms. Complex action to reload 1 muzzle tube.

I'd be more convinced if like clips, there were a line on that table for inserting rounds into the muzzle tube, and a seperate line for loading the tube into the gun.

On the flipside, there's no price for factory-loaded muzzle tubes either.

However, none of this is new territory, this gun has been discussed repeatedly on these forums, and these points have all been brought up before. Barring additional clarification from FanPro on this, I think you're always going to have two differing sets of therories about this gun.
The Jopp
QUOTE (LilithTaveril)

Oh, and looking it up, the gun only fires two bullets per burst. It specifies the gun fires short bursts. In SR4, that's not directly defined, but it is in SR3. It's two bullets. That means it only fires two barrels when it fires in burst mode, or one barrel two times. Considering it's SA recoil, this means two barrels firing. The rule carried over, but they forgot to define the term. I'll check the errata, but I suspect this is something they forgot and need to errata.

Actually short bursts are standard bursts. There are bursts and Long bursts. See the explanation under "Multiple Targets" on page 143 SR4.

LilithTaveril
QUOTE (The Jopp @ Aug 18 2006, 07:18 AM)
QUOTE (LilithTaveril @ Aug 18 2006, 11:46 AM)

Actually short bursts are standard bursts. There are bursts and Long bursts. See the explanation under "Multiple Targets" on page 143 SR4.

Okay, question time: How many bullets are in a long burst? How many in a short burst? It mentions both, but does not explain what they are.

Now, in SR3, a short burst was a burst that was one-round short of a normal burst (page 115, SR3). It specifically defines it there, but does not define the term in SR4 other than to say you can do two. But, if you read the Not Enough Bullets section (page 143, SR4), you learn that two short bursts != one normal burst, as a burst with only one bullet is treated as an SS shot, not as a burst. Thus, it can't be three bullets without you magically somehow dividing a bullet.

Now, I'm willing to bet that a long burst is just a regular burst.
Smokeskin
@Lilith: no.
LilithTaveril
Simply saying "no" is not an answer. It's a nice waste of a post, but not an answer.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012