Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Favorite SR threat?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
emo samurai
Yeah, but everyone hates emo, including me, except for emo people. You can't favor a threat like that.
Kagetenshi
Even emo people hate emo, they just don't know it. Mostly because they've never encountered it, because it died before they knew it existed.

~J
emo samurai
So what IS emo?
Ophis
Big bird, lives in australia, turned into a "Childrens entertainment" puppet character in the seventies...

Oh you said Emo, sorry my mistake.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (emo samurai)
So what IS emo?

Emotional punk, a movement generally associated with the '80s DC musical scene. I haven't heard much of it, but my impression is that it's similar to hardcore punk but with more personal lyrics.

AFAIK, it's been pretty much nonexistent since the mid-90s.

~J
James McMurray
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emo_%28slang%29
2bit
toxic shamans were always my favorite threat. null vote.
emo samurai
People like the magic.
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (Fortune @ Oct 6 2006, 08:24 AM)
I believe Tutor is in the original Threats sourcebook.

which I still don't have and can't find (unable to DL anything, no home internet). Anyone kind enough to give a few more details?

Kage: Unfortunately, the emo music movement is alive and well here in Utah. Damn Dashboard Confessional.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm)
Street urchins.

...up there along with Drop Bears
Fortune
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
which I still don't have and can't find (unable to DL anything, no home internet). Anyone kind enough to give a few more details?

Yeah, sorry about the curt reply. I would give you more detail, but I don't actually have that book in front of me and I wouldn't want to give false info.

That being said, Tutor is a Free Spirit of high Force who likes to meddle. I may be wrong, but I also believe he (it?) is the guiding force (pardon the pun) behind a cult listed in Threats 2 (someone help me out here, eh?).
fistandantilus4.0
NP, just trying to get some info. I think you're thinking of the Aleph Society and Gaf. In other words, different spirit. Gaf is the one that goes w/ the the whole "blackmoon", "book of Gaf", blood sacrifice for potency stuff. Thanks for trying though. I really need Threats 1.
Fortune
Yep. Gaf is indeed who I was thinking of when I referenced the 'cult'. Ignore any of that crap (which is why I hesitated to say anything in the first place nyahnyah.gif).

I hate getting old and not having total recall. frown.gif

I'm sure someone can give us a little more actual illumination on Tutor.
fistandantilus4.0
It's NP, I always have trouble differentiating what 's happening with the intrigues in our campaign and what's going on in canon. Used to be I could just bring my books to work. But new job, new rules. Thanks.
Synner
Tutor is a vengeful free spirit whose sole goal in existence is to avenge abused and "enslaved" spirits everywhere—with extreme prejudice. It tracks down magicians who have ill-treated their conjured spirits and passing itself off as a powerful initiate it offers itself as, you guessed it, their tutor. It teaches them new abilities and spells that are linked to its essence. When the magician uses these abilities/spells (more powerful than their normal versions), Tutor ensures some of the Drain becomes permanent and unhealable. This accumulates until the character realizes what's going on. The only way to heal at that point is to cut a deal with Tutor. This can lead to some nasty blackmail as the mage becomes dependent on Tutor's goodwill to remain functional. Typically Tutor might propose a spirit pact where the magician sacrifices one Magic point for each box of drain (this was SR2) he wants healed, and the other options are all downhill from that.
fistandantilus4.0
Thanks very much, that clarifies a lot. Two quick questions on that: how does the drain become permanent and unhealable? Is it some sort of spirit power, or just drain that was bad enough to cause deadly damage and magic loss? And does it ever descrive Tutor's form?
Fortune
Synner is still my knight in neon armor. wavey.gif
Synner
In SR2 it had a unique power (Spirit Tap) and the mechanics represented the habitual exception case (though in this one it boiled down to every time you get Drain from the "surged" spell one box of Stun Drain is permanent).

In SR4 this would be a type of spirit pact.
fistandantilus4.0
wicked vegm.gif Thanks Synner, that's what I was looking for. Thankfully, I have a PC that lost an ally because he treated it like crap, then it went free when eh took a nasty wound. The wheels they are a turnin'.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012