Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Recruiting
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Dentris
Ok, i made a thread about free spirits as character here and i got good feedback about the idea. The next logical step would be to bring the idea here and see if anybody is interested in a free spirits only campaign. If you are, post your interest on this post, make a character following the guidelines in the other thread and PM it to me.

The campaign will be set in many cities around the world, but mainly Hong Kong, Seattle and Istanbul. The characters would be spirits exiled from their home metaplane for a ''spiritual high treason'' they haven't commit and forced to live on the astral plane and face evanescence. To survive this they will have to gather magical goods to "feed" on them (Lifestyle) and to prevent their doom.

Who/what staged them? Is a spirit or a mortal behind it? Why them? All these questions are yet to be answered.

I'm hoping to hear from you soon.

PS: Sorry about my grammar and spelling, I'm french.
Ankle Biter
Totally interested.

I wanna be buttercup biggrin.gif

Kidding.

What will be the motivation, though, and will it be mainly set in the physical world, or the metaplanes?

Edit, scrub last question, am reading the thread.
Dentris
Physical world mainly, but a sizable part of the campaign will be in astral. The link i provided in my first post tells everything you need to know about character creation. Street Magic isn't necessary (since the majority of spirit types and powers are in the core rule books), but anybody who owns this expansion is invited to use the new spirit types and powers. I also edited my first post to include the adventure synopsis.
Ankle Biter
Works for me, I'll go for a hermetic spirit of Earth, I feel. Play a total tank.

Have to pick up my SR4 this afternoon and get working on it.

BlackHat
Definatly an interesting idea.
One question I noticed when going oer the thread's rules... after choosing the type (manifesting, possessing, or inhabiting) does the spirit get the relevant power for free?
Ophis
This sounds intruiging, if I may I'll play some sort of wiccan spirit, probably a water spirit going with a lorelei esk appearence, probably shifting in form to something the target finds attractive, sort of a spirit face.
Ophis
As a manifesting spirit do I get the manifesting power for free?
BlackHat
Another question.
Are greater free spirit powers disallowed?

Thinking about playing a Shadow Spirit (Succubus). That could be fun. biggrin.gif
Dentris
Ophis: You have one "form" power for free. Either Manifesting, Possessing or Inhabiting.

BlackHat: I'm open to any kind of spirits from any tradition. The only exceptions are no greater spirits (along wiht their powers...at least at character creation), no insect queens and no master shedims. anything else, from toxic spirits to insects are allowed. Be warned, though, that you will be asked to work as a team.
Ankle Biter
Just checked my SR4, and yup, I need the magic book, am off to Manchester to buy it tomorrow, then.

I am looking to play some kind of a golem, and my character concept was vaguely along the lines of mr shine (Him diamond). Is that doable?

Cold-Dragon
Hrm...well...for whatever reason I'm sorely tempted to be a plant spirit? XD

A semi important question, however: How is one expecting to get around if they're a possessing spirit? I can get taking over a doll to walk around, but practically speaking, you can't just randomly claim metahuman flesh for convenient all the time.

And I haven't figured out how a possessing-able free spirit spirit works yet (though I would more likely go with materialization, I figured it would be worth asking).
SL James
Oooh... Oooh. I'm definitely interested.

I could, at this point, play up my Mantis fetish by submitting my Mantis Soldier spirit, although if I knew more about the background I'd be very eager to play a ifrit Guardian spirit or, hehehe, even better... a Carnage (Toxic Guardian) spirit. I'll get back to you with my decision in a few hours.
BlackHat
I imagine a possessing free-spirit would get around the same way everyone else does... walking, or taking the bus, or driving a car.... WAY less convenient than just flying around in the astral, but at least you get to take your favorite flesh-puppet with you.

As for getting between the 3 major cities, I would GUESS you'd either grab a different body at each place, or take a plane or something. Airport security might notice a spirit joyridding in one of the passengers, though....
Cold-Dragon
QUOTE (BlackHat)
I imagine a possessing free-spirit would get around the same way everyone else does... walking, or taking the bus, or driving a car.... WAY less convenient than just flying around in the astral, but at least you get to take your favorite flesh-puppet with you.

As for getting between the 3 major cities, I would GUESS you'd either grab a different body at each place, or take a plane or something. Airport security might notice a spirit joyridding in one of the passengers, though....

Aye, I figure that, but tell me what you do when you're not possessing, or what you can even do in that state? That's the chain jerker. Other than standby, I'm not sure such a spirit can do anything under normal summoning spirit rules (so it begs the question, unless I missed a line).
Dentris
Ok, for now, i have received one character submission by BlackHat. A not-so typical Face character.

As for possession, you may possess any "prepared" vessel, which includes willing magician, mentally-prepared metahumans (see Street Magic for more details) or non-living vessels, such as dolls, corpses or toasters. In addition, a magician's body left behind for an astral travel is also a suitable vessel. Inhabitation is a more permanent form of possession that destroys the soul of the vessel.

While not possessing, a spirit is in astral form and may not manifest in any way. He stays on astral space for as long as he doesn't find a suitable vessel. He may still fight astrally and scout an area and communicate with astrally active people.

Ankle Biter & SL James: You can be anythgin imaginale, really. A carnage Guardian spirit would be just good as good as a Golem, but remember, you are expected to work as a group of simili-shadowrunner, thus i would try to avoid radical ideologies. It doesn't mean you can't be a toxic spirit, though, just a free toxic spirit that has evolved beyond his basic formulae.
Ophis
Cool, i figured that would be the answer, I'll pm my spirit over later today.
SL James
I'm going to go with a regular Guardian spirit, but not Islamic. More in the (later) morning, I hope.
Ophis
Given the make up of the group so far I'm switching concept, staying wiccan and going for fire elemental artilliry. Can I repalce the magicain quality? I really want to play a bog standard fire spirit and can't get the all the basic powers, and the magic side is not the bit that interests me.

BlackHat
QUOTE (Dentris)
Ok, for now, i have received one character submission by BlackHat. A not-so typical Face character.

Lol, not so sure how good of a face I'd be (at least, compared to your typical shadowrunner face) - but I suppose we'll see. biggrin.gif
BlackHat
Working on a name. Has anyone else got a name for their spirit yet? I'm not really clear on if spirits have names (other their their formula, or whatever)... but, like, if 3 fire elementals are hanging out somewhere, how do they refer to each other? Or do they ever have any need to? How does a conjurer refer to his spirits? Is he free to name them when he summons and binds them?

I assume when a spirit "goes free" they sometimes make up names for themselves. Like, "buttercup" or whatever else sounds reasonable to them at the time. wink.gif But, like, if a water elemental starts calling himself "Aqua," wouldn't there be a bajillion other water elementals going "HEY! THat's my name!"
SL James
Check out the Air Elemental in Street Magic who holds court over Crystalwell "on a far edge of the Pole of Elemental Air:" Sighs-on-an-Arctic Wind.
Dentris
Let's use Shadowrun sister-setting, Earthdawn, as an example. A name is really important for any sentient creature. In earthdawn, the ability to give names to thing was the requirement to be considered sentient (namegivers). Therefore, names were an inherent part of magic and any namegiver's astral form was a representation of its name. A free spirit's name is, in effect, its formulae. Although it is enough for awakened characters, free spirits who regularly interact with mundanes would likely take a normal name for themselves.

An idea would be to start with no name, and develop one in play, because you'll all b newly formed free spirits.

By the way, the character submitted are now:

-BlackHat character, (the face)
-Coldragon character, (wanabee magician)

My recommandations for a succesful group of character:
-a spirit with hacking ability (a task spirit or insect worker spirit are the best suited)
-a tank/streetsam equivalent
-a true magician

Feel free to post any character idea, though.

Ophis: you have the magician quality for free, as do all free spirits. But without any magic skills and spells, you do not have to cast spells at all, it only allows you to fight in astral and assense other astral forms.
Ophis
PMing my character across now, going for a Celtic warrior type, based of a fire spirit, sort of artillary type role, so that covers the street sam side.
emo samurai
I'll play a possessing Spirit of Man. I'll have my character sheet in tomorrow.

Seems like we'll be pretty low force... max force 6... And the spells seem pricey, even for spirits of man...

I'm getting spirit pact (dream) at character creation if possible.

Will we have lots of opportunity to get karma? And do we automatically get all the skills and powers that normal summoned spirits get? And how much will we need to pay to avoid evanescence?

Plus, could we use BP if we're a possessing spirit to buy vessels? Plasteel homonculi rock.
Dentris
QUOTE (emo samurai)
I'll play a possessing Spirit of Man. I'll have my character sheet in tomorrow.

Seems like we'll be pretty low force... max force 6... And the spells seem pricey, even for spirits of man...

I'm getting spirit pact (dream) at character creation if possible.

Will we have lots of opportunity to get karma? And do we automatically get all the skills and powers that normal summoned spirits get? And how much will we need to pay to avoid evanescence?

My intent was having low-power spirits at first, but i'm thinking about making character growth relatively fast.

About karma, the only way for a free spirit to earn karma is through spirit pact (everyone starts with spirit pact for free) In addition, all spirits start with Assenssing, Asrtal Combat, Dodge, Perception and unarmed combat and the powers astral form, banishing resistance, sapience and spirit pact. You have to pay BP for spellcasting, ritual spellcasting and counterspelling (although the cost for spellcasting is only 3 for spirit of man). Under normal circumstances (and an average force of 4) you could know 4 or 5 spells.

As for evanescence, it depends on the lifestyle (quantity of magical goods you "devour").

Street lifestyle: You lose one point of force at the end of the month
Squatter lifestyle: You are considered to owe one service in the case you are banished. If you are banished, you lose one point of force at the end of the month
Low lifestyle: same as squatter, but you owe 2 services
Middle lifestyle: same as squatter, but you owe 3 services
High lifestyle: same as squatter, but you owe 4 services
Luxury lifestyle: same as squatter, but you owe 5 services
emo samurai
My dude'll have possessing, realistic form (so he doesn't get noticed while he's possessing) and social skills. Probably force 4-5. How will we buy things at chargen?
Dentris
Look here
BlackHat
QUOTE (Dentris)
As for evanescence, it depends on the lifestyle (quantity of magical goods you "devour").

Street lifestyle: You lose one point of force at the end of the month
Squatter lifestyle: You are considered to owe one service in the case you are banished. If you are banished, you lose one point of force at the end of the month
Low lifestyle: same as squatter, but you owe 2 services
Middle lifestyle: same as squatter, but you owe 3 services
High lifestyle: same as squatter, but you owe 4 services
Luxury lifestyle: same as squatter, but you owe 5 services

1. Does evanescence only apply for extraplanar spirits (bugs, shedim, etc) or is any spirit that is cut off from its metaplane suffer the effects (all fo us)?

2. How would one purchase a lifestyle without nuyen?

3. Who are these services owed to?

Thought I knew the spirit rules okay, but a lot of this seems to be new to me. biggrin.gif Good learning experience.
Dentris
Well, many of these rules are houserules, so it's pretty normal you are not familiar with them.

Evanescence is usually only applied to extraplanar spirits, but since every player is banished and cut from its home metaplane, i imagined they would suffer it too.

About nuyen...it is the tricky part. They will have to either find goods, or to work in order to buy them. (it's a shadowrun game after all) Therefore, although the main adventures will not be normal shadowruns, it is more than possible that i include them.

Finally, these services are not owned to anybody. They are "virtual" services added to the spirit's edge in order to determine the effect of banishing.
emo samurai
What spirit pacts will everyone purchase? And what roles will you fill? I'm thinking of getting a plasteel homonculus at chargen to fulfill the melee master role.
BlackHat
So, no matter what, everyone loses one force every month... and anotehr force if/when they are banished?

I heavily suggest no one start at force 1!
BlackHat
QUOTE (emo samurai)
What spirit pacts will everyone purchase? And what roles will you fill? I'm thinking of getting a plasteel homonculus at chargen to fulfill the melee master role.

I think that because we have the "spirit pact" power, we can all make any pacts we want with anyone we can get to agree to it (of course, I think some pacts make the spirit vulnerable too).

Dream and Power seem the most intersting. Though I can't tell if the Power pact is at al luseful for a spitit that doesn't have spellcasting skill....

I could imagine having LOTS of fun with dream pacts though
Dentris
QUOTE (BlackHat)
So, no matter what, everyone loses one force every month... and anotehr force if/when they are banished?

No, you only lose a force if you have a street lifestyle or if you are banished
emo samurai
Are we going to be facing down many mages? We're low enough force to be threatened with assault weapons.
BlackHat
QUOTE (Dentris)
QUOTE (BlackHat @ Sep 18 2006, 07:53 PM)

No, you only lose a force if you have a street lifestyle or if you are banished

Since non-inhabiting spirits don't start with nuyen, doesn't that force them into a street lifestyle? Or are those lifestyles not coming into play until a month after we start (and have a chance to get onto our feet)?
emo samurai
How much money are you offering for runs? I want my plasteel homonculus!
emo samurai
Here's my sheet.
[ Spoiler ]
Cold-Dragon
I would think that, if you end up as a magical group avatar, you'd get some benefits/hooks in you in comparison to lifestyles....But that is oddly entertaining to me: being somebody's summoned spirit or whatever. XD

And beware one that gets on my spirit's bad side. *revises power list now*
emo samurai
Yay, I'm a faceman/money hoard! I will save the groups finances with my science!
BlackHat
haha, yeah, I keep seeing a bunch of hilarious sitcom versions of this campaign playing out...

a handful of spirits are exiled from the metaplanes and...
.... enroll in highschool!
.... masquerade as a shadowrunning team!
.... befriend a street-urchin (ala Disney's Alladin)
.... perform a musical!
.... etc.'

.... all of which, I love.
emo samurai
NO
Cold-Dragon
Ah, school...nothing like materializing in your locker to get around, or into the bathrooms, or the classrooms. Heaven forbid someone gets a crush on you, ends up as your study buddy, and tries to give you a kiss 'right' when you get summoned! wink.gif

It is funny though. XD
emo samurai
How will we spend karma? And would gaining Edge give us extra powers? If it's the way ally spirits do it, then 5\/\/337.
BlackHat
Lol, yeah.

Or the big bully "great form" shows up and starts bossing us around, shoving us into lockers and then warding them and junk, but then we stand up for ourselves and find out taht he's really a softy who doesn't have any friends.

emo samurai
Or we engage him in astral combat and give him the proverbial beat-down.
Dentris
Increasing edge will give you extra powers, as fo lifestyles, you will all start with no virtual services, but you will be given the opportunity to ''pay'' your lifestyle at the end of the month, preventing you from losing a force point.

Emo Samurai: i assume you are a spirit of man, but from which tradition?
DireRadiant
Do you have a deadline for submitting a character?
emo samurai
Wuxing, but a possessing version thereof. He's a Chinese spirit.

PLASTEEL HOMONCULUS! WOOHOO!

The spirit with the plasteel homonculus will be the quiet fat kid who's secretly nursing musical talent.
Dentris
QUOTE (DireRadiant)
Do you have a deadline for submitting a character?

well, not right now, but i would prefer before the end of the week.
BlackHat
QUOTE (emo samurai)
The spirit with the plasteel homonculus will be the quiet fat kid who's secretly nursing musical talent.

The plasteel kid. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012