Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Guns 101
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
SeekerOfPeace
However, at close range, with time to aim, and in the hands of a skilled bowman the arrow will probably penetrate.

That's a lot of "if" isn't? biggrin.gif
Fortune
QUOTE (SeekerOfPeace @ Oct 7 2006, 12:06 PM)
However, at close range, with time to aim, and in the hands of a skilled bowman the arrow will probably penetrate.

That's a lot of "if" isn't? biggrin.gif

Funny, but I don't see even one single "if" outside your reply. nyahnyah.gif biggrin.gif
Nikoli
Ya know, I always thought of the Ruger Warhawk series as a .454 rather than a .357, though the fact it's a 6 round cylinder would mean it's either a .357, a .44 or an x10 frame to hold a .454.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Nikoli)
Ya know, I always thought of the Ruger Warhawk series as a .454 rather than a .357, though the fact it's a 6 round cylinder would mean it's either a .357, a .44 or an x10 frame to hold a .454.

...the Super Warhawk's RL predecessors, the Redhawk & Blackhawk, are 44s.
Pthgar
At the risk of threadjacking, I would like to return to the French language for a post or two.

I live in Detroit which we pronounce "Dee-troyt" or "Duh-troyt." Not even remotely close. We have a street here named Gratiot which has been mangled to "Grass-shit." I am not trying to be profane, that is how we say it. *shrug*
The whole area is full French names and very few of them retain proper pronounciation. It's pretty interesting if you're a history nerd like me.

On the other hand, the town I grew up in (10 miles south of Detroit) is named Wyandotte after the Wyandot-Huron tribe of Native Americans. Notice the extra "te"? Yep, the French did that. Lots of those kind of names too.
Shrapnel
QUOTE (Jestercat)
Completely agreed...I have no idea why people pigeonhole sex into a category along with violence. They're complete and total opposites. When I have children, I know that I won't let the media raise them like the vast majority of you likely have been - they'll learn the truth. Violence has its place - honestly the best solution for some things really to just slug it out - but lethal weapons ARE horrible instruments of death. Sensationalize them all you want, but that's what they're for, hurting and killing people.

Sex on the other hand is a generally pleasurable experience between two consenting persons (hopefully adults but we all know what teenagers get up to). As long as it's not hurting anyone, it's generally a good thing for everyone involved. Religious puritans and the like probably won't agree with me, but I'm sure eventually they'll realize they're human beings...nyahnyah.gif

I know it's a little late, but I thought I'd throw in my 0.02 nuyen.gif ...

Some people consider firearms to be only for hurting and killing, yet some see them as a form of recreation.

Some people consider sex to be only for procreation, yet some see it as a form of recreation.

It all depends upon your culture, and your personal beliefs.

As long as it's not hurting anyone, it's generally a good thing for everyone involved.

Personally, I find shooting firearms to be quite fun, even relaxing. I find it just as recreational as skipping stones across a pond, playing catch in the backyard, or any other traditional form of recreation. And the amazing thing is, it's not hurting anyone!

I know that some people don't like firearms, but that doesn't mean they have the right to keep ME from enjoying them.

If that were the case, where do I submit my list of things we should ban? wink.gif

Interesting thread, by the way. I wonder what else China bans, when it comes to the media?
SeekerOfPeace
I live in Detroit which we pronounce "Dee-troyt" or "Duh-troyt." Not even remotely close. We have a street here named Gratiot which has been mangled to "Grass-shit." I am not trying to be profane, that is how we say it. *shrug*
The whole area is full French names and very few of them retain proper pronounciation. It's pretty interesting if you're a history nerd like me.

The main thing with the french language is that a lot of english words actually come from old french.

Many anglophone pronounce words like "Rendez-vous" and "armoire" with a super thick accent. The "tourniquet" is a good example. "Cliché" is yet another good example.

Those words have been integrated to the english language, with their own english pronounciation to it. So I guess pronouncing "Tour-ni-kay" is ok as long as you're aware you are not pronouncing the original word correctly.

It's not a question of accent. French canadians french and french from France are very different. To the point where when I talk in French in Paris people reply in english!
This being said, no native speaker of the french language pronounce "tour-ni-kay". No matter where, switzerland, Canada, France, or anywhere in Africa. The whole "kay" thing or "cli-chay" instead of "cliché'' is nothing more than a mediocre adaptation of the original french words by the english language (yes, I am a chauvinist at times cool.gif)-->Chauvinist=french word.

Don't worry, French (from France) do the same. They've adapted "shopping" as a french word, which still annoys me. They're pronounciation of "shopping" has a monstruous accent.

I didn't know Detroit came from the french "Détroit''. Why is that? I thought french was as present in the States as sleazy chinese girls in China. I've heard of some communities in Louisiana but that's about it.

Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Shrapnel @ Oct 6 2006, 11:38 PM)
Some people consider firearms to be only for hurting and killing, yet some see them as a form of recreation.

Some people consider sex to be only for procreation, yet some see it as a form of recreation.

Not a valid comparison. Nonprocreative sex can be observed in nature—as such, the latter category of people can be definitively said to be wrong. No such observation exists with firearms.

~J
SeekerOfPeace
Interesting thread, by the way. I wonder what else China bans, when it comes to the media?

There's a lot of propaganda about Taiwan for one thing.

Something in China actually remembers me of Shadowrun.

There's a fair amount of people in China living in hoodlums. A family of four or five would live in a room about 4mx4m at most. Athough I can't say that for a fact, those areas are not controlled by the government. People build houses where they feel like it in the slums and a lot of people are SINless, don't exist. You see a whole bunch of kids not at school during the day, working to make ends meet.

The girl I'm seeing at the moment had to stop high school to work so her family could survive.

To give you an idea about the salary issue:

I make about 6,000 Yuen a month. Most Chinese make from 100-300 yuen a month, some make less.

I've seen men working in construction zone working from dawn until the heart of night.

It's just very different. Girls from instance have no concept of sexuality before marriage. Of all the girls I met, most of them didn't know how to kiss at 25, so you have to explain it to them. A majority of them do not know about contraception, from my experience and conversations with others.

But I don't want to go off topic too much.

But to answer your question, there's a lot of conformism when it comes to politics, loads of propagnada. Did you know most chinese detest japanese? A friend of mine owns a restaurant and says that no japs are going to walk in there. They're still very sore about Japan's violent executions of Chinese not that long ago... Although I don't know the exact details.
Shrapnel
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (Shrapnel @ Oct 6 2006, 11:38 PM)

Not a valid comparison. Nonprocreative sex can be observed in nature—as such, the latter category of people can be definitively said to be wrong. No such observation exists with firearms.

~J

I don't quite follow you...

When you say that "the latter category of people can be definitively said to be wrong", are you referring to those that feel that sex is only for procreation, or those that see it as a form of recreation? Or both?

And as for "No such observation exists with firearms", are you implying that there aren't any firearms that aren't meant for hurting and killing?

If that is the arguement you are trying to make, then I would have to disagree. Even though firearms were originally designed for hurting and killing, there are many today that are specifically designed for a sporting purpose, and have almost no practical use otherwise.
Kagetenshi
Japan's actions during the Great Patriotic War (and before, basically since they decided they wanted in on being a colonial power) were pretty horrendously brutal. China learned from the masters.

Shrapnel: I'm referring to those who see sex as only a form of procreation. Evolution is a harsh master, and yet nonprocreative sex is widely present among species with totally different evolutionary paths elsewhere—I think my favourite example is a picture someone dug up once that showed three stags in a row mounting each other.

If the person in question dismisses evolution, the argument gets stronger—that would mean that God made a whole bunch of animals bump uglies for recreational purposes.

We have yet to see another species "evolve" non-combat firearms.

~J
Shrapnel
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Japan's actions during the Great Patriotic War (and before, basically since they decided they wanted in on being a colonial power) were pretty horrendously brutal. China learned from the masters.

Shrapnel: I'm referring to those who see sex as only a form of procreation. Evolution is a harsh master, and yet nonprocreative sex is widely present among species with totally different evolutionary paths elsewhere—I think my favourite example is a picture someone dug up once that showed three stags in a row mounting each other.

If the person in question dismisses evolution, the argument gets stronger—that would mean that God made a whole bunch of animals bump uglies for recreational purposes.

~J

You have an excellent point. Dogs are another species that tend to show similar behavior.

I was more concerned with those that believe that sex is only for procreation, as well as those that believe that firearms are inherently evil.

It's all a matter of culture, and personal preference.

SeekerOfPeace: I'd like to hear more about the slums in China. I've always had a hard time imagining what the Barrens were like, but this sounds like a real life example.
SeekerOfPeace
Well basically it's like this.

You have the main streets in China. There you can find shops, restaurants and so on. You can also find decent (Chinese standards) apartments. This is what you are supposed to see.

But then there's BEHIND those streets. This is where the slums are.

Little wooden or brick houses, literally microscopic. It's like going back in time when you enter the slums. People use wood and coal to keep themselves warm. People hang their clothes anywhere they can and the street itself is used as a one big public toilet. Loads of ruins and abandoned buildings were some people squat.

You know what's funny though? Some of them are just sooooo poor, but they all own a cellphone. Don't ask me why, I don't know. I'm the only one who doesn't have a cellphone here. That and a TV. Cellphone and TV seem to be the priorities.

Since I'm on the topic on China. Girls here are hardcore computer geeks. I've seen some stunning girls playing Counter Strike or World of Warcraft or other RPG variaties.

You cannot imagine the amount of piracy. The other day I saw two police officers shoping in a DVD store (nothing but copies of course). You buy your DVD's 1 or 2 yuen (0,20 cents american). The PS2/PS3 games are a bit more expensive, about one dollar.

Piracy is almost legitimate here.

Hope this gives you a more complete perspective of China.

PS: Kids don't wear diapers. They wear pants with holes and pee or take a dump whenever they feel like it. Surprising the first time you see it.
Kagetenshi
There's a difference between "inherently evil" and "tool for killing".

Though I'll still vote to ban firearms if it means getting an antitank and antiaircraft weapon into the hands of every man, woman, and child. But that's neither here nor there.

Re: cell phone: there was a picture in my high school geography textbook of a south African (not South Africa, mind you) farmer with a loincloth and spear watching over a herd of cattle. He was talking on a cell phone.

~J
Shrapnel
QUOTE (SeekerOfPeace @ Oct 7 2006, 12:12 AM)
PS: Kids don't wear diapers. They wear pants with holes and pee or take a dump whenever they feel like it. Surprising the first time you see it.

I grew up in the country...

It was common for little kids to run around with NO pants on, in order to "air out"... eek.gif biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
  There's a difference between "inherently evil" and "tool for killing".

Though I'll still vote to ban firearms if it means getting an antitank and antiaircraft weapon into the hands of every man, woman, and child. But that's neither here nor there.

~J

I'm all for every man, woman, and child having an antitank and antiaircraft weapon notworthy.gif , but I certainly wouldn't give up my .22s to do it...
mfb
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)

huh? what do you call it when your pet cats or dogs chase each other around, nipping and scratching? recreational use of lethal weapons, is what i call it.
Kagetenshi
Recreational use of lethal weapons does not make those weapons not tools for killing.

Just in the off-chance that someone tries to tie this back to the recreational sex example, unlike use of weapons, procreative sex isn't something you get better at with practice (recreational sex is another matter!).

Though at least with my cats, I call it "assertion of dominance or territory". They may not be used lethally (or even injuriously to any significant degree), but it usually isn't recreation either.

~J
SeekerOfPeace
Recreational use of lethal weapons does not make those weapons not tools for killing.

Just in the off-chance that someone tries to tie this back to the recreational sex example, unlike use of weapons, procreative sex isn't something you get better at with practice (recreational sex is another matter!).

Ah c'mon guys, he's got a point. Admit it, it's ok! cool.gif
Raygun
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator @ Oct 7 2006, 01:21 AM)
Certainly some cheaper suits of armor were made with plates of unhardened substandard steel that might have been vulnerable to the heaviest armor piercing arrowheads at close range. In Crécy, however, just like in Agincourt (of which I just read a great account in John Keegan's The Face of Battle), archers wreaked havoc on heavy cavalry by injuring and killing their horses.

I realize that the longbowmen had quite an effect on the cavalry in that particular battle, but every account I have read of it (pardon me for not having all of my sources handy, it's been years, but I believe one of them was Terry Jones' Medieval Lives series, which played here on the History Channel) also specifically mentions the bodkin point piercing the plate armor of advancing French soldiers. IIRC, it's actually demonstrated in an episode of Medieval Lives. Probably the only reason I remember it is because at first I was suprised that it could happen, then I realized that if not all modern body armor is made to defeat the same threat, medieval plate armor likely suffered from similar shortcomings.

All I'm saying is that at some point in history, someone's plate armor was outclassed by a longbowman with a particular kind of arrow. That doesn't mean that it's the reason why plate armor dissappeared from the battlefield, or that that kind of thing was even common. As far as I'm aware, Crécy is the only documented account of it occuring (though I think it's reasonable to assume that it happened more often than I am aware of, as I have not been that into the history of the middle ages).
eidolon
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
[guns are bad]

Or...if you really wanted to belabor the topic again, you could go back over HERE and continue to smack the deceased ungulate.
Kagetenshi
Wow, way to totally fucking rape my point. I mean, why not put "the moon is made of cheese" in there too? It would have about as much connection to what I said.

~J
SeekerOfPeace
Or...if you really wanted to belabor the topic again, you could go back over HERE and continue to smack the deceased ungulate.

I don't understand why you posted this.

Everything was fine and everyone was enjoying the thread, why did you post that?

Sorry, I just don't get your motivations.
mfb
i can't figure out who's arguing for what, at this point, so i think i'll go back to watching.
Kagetenshi
For the record, it is my opinion that guns are tools for killing, full stop. The part where this is taken (without additional input, like a philosophy of nonresistance or similar) as a reason why they should be considered bad, evil, or undesirable is the part where I start calling bullshit.

Somehow people still translate that into "guns are bad", I guess, even when I explicitly state my desire for widespread possession of things that are even more unquestionably tools for killing.

~J
eidolon
There was a long, long, long thread regarding the pros and cons of firearms and firearms ownership, opinions on related topics, etc.

Better to go to the appropriate and still valid thread if you want to debate/discuss the "pros and cons of guns from a moral and societal standpoint", which is where it seems Kage is trying to take this, and leave this one to what it originally was: information and facts about guns/firearms/weapons.

And random facts about living in China, I suppose. smile.gif
Kagetenshi
<REDACTED>

~J
mfb
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
For the record, it is my opinion that guns are tools for killing, full stop.

i guess. i just don't see how that's really relevant to... anything at all, to be honest. i mean, shoes are tools for protecting your feet. but foot protection is not at the forefront of many shoe-owners' minds when they buy a new pair. what something is designed to do is generally less important than what people actually use it for.

the reason for this is exemplified by the responses in this thread to your statement, Kagetenshi: you say guns are tools for killing, and people assume you mean that guns are evil--that people who own guns are killers. even after you stated your opinion on gun ownership, some people were still confused as to what you actually meant.

so... yeah, guns are tools designed for killing. so what? what's the benefit of keeping this fact in mind? i'm not saying people should try to forget or ignore the basic purpose a gun is designed for. but waving that purpose around for its own sake doesn't seem to accomplish anything useful. if there's a purpose to it that i've missed, speak up, and i'll discuss it or reject it or accept it or whatever. but as it stands, it seems like keeping it specifically in mind will just cause problems.
Kagetenshi
There was a point earlier where it was claimed (or I thought it was claimed, I'm too tired at this point to make unqualified statements) that that was not the case. I corrected that, because I really really hate letting incorrect things stand.

Then, as far as I can tell, that got summarized as "guns are bad", which really pissed me off. I'm not really interested in having this debate again, but I am far less interested in letting "summaries" that boil down to mostly the opposite of what I said stand.

Edit: wait, no, originally I jumped in because of an unfair comparison—a belief that could be clearly demonstrated false through simple examination of nature, and a belief that could not be clearly demonstrated false by simple examination of nature. Then it boiled out of control, as is wont to happen.

~J
mfb
yeah, i get that. one of the disadvantages of the forum system: one missed spot check, and you're off-topic for years trying to clarify your statements.
Critias
I made my Spot checks, and my Will saves to keep from being drawn into the conversation. I roll twenties, bitch.
mfb
and yet you post!
SeekerOfPeace
and yet you post!

notworthy.gif grinbig.gif
Critias
Ahh, but I didn't post as part of the guns-are-bad/guns-are-good conversation. I just posted to call you a bitch, which is always on topic.
mfb
damn your vulcan logic!
Butterblume
Vulcan logic? The Vulcan is a minigun, isn't it?

I wouldn't exactly call it logic then, but I can see how it supersedes logic cyber.gif.
Shrapnel
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)

For the record, my opinion is that guns are tools designed to push a projectile downrange, at extremely high velocities.

It's where you point it that matters...

QUOTE (mfb)
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)

huh? what do you call it when your pet cats or dogs chase each other around, nipping and scratching? recreational use of lethal weapons, is what i call it.

QUOTE (Kagetenshi)

Again, I point out the example of firearms designed specifically for sporting purposes, such as Olympic target rifles. How many people do you suppose have been killed with an Olympic target rifle? Would you still consider this rifle to be a "tool for killing", rather than a "tool for recreation"?

Almost any tool available can be used as a lethal weapon, if so desired. How does one determine the fine line between a tool and weapon? Where do knives, axes, and clubs fit in?

I'm still of the opinion that these are ALL tools, including firearms. Just because a tool functions well as a weapon doesn't mean that it's only purpose in life is to be used as a weapon.
Grinder
QUOTE (Critias)
I made my Spot checks, and my Will saves to keep from being drawn into the conversation. I roll twenties, bitch.

The mind is willing, but the flesh is weak... wobble.gif
Pthgar
QUOTE (SeekerOfPeace)
I didn't know Detroit came from the french "Détroit''. Why is that? I thought french was as present in the States as sleazy chinese girls in China. I've heard of some communities in Louisiana but that's about it.

Well the Detroit River (as we call it) is really a strait between Detroit in the U.S. and Widsor in Ontario. Fort Detroit (which later became the City of Detroit) was founded by Antione Cadillac, a French explorer. There were quite a few french explorers and fur trappers in the Mighigan area before the French-Indian War. After that the British took over. We still have lgacies of the french era in may of our place-names. Cadillac, Pontiac, Grosse Isle, Sault Sainte Marie, the Rouge River, Belle Isle, and many others

Interestingly enough, the oldest streets in Detroit follow a raidial pattern, which I understand is typically French, as oppossed to a grid.
Kagetenshi
IIRC, radial patterns just reflect old roadway designs—Boston is pretty radial, but not that French.

~J
Tanka
QUOTE (Shrapnel)
I'm still of the opinion that these are ALL tools, including firearms. Just because a tool functions well as a weapon doesn't mean that it's only purpose in life is to be used as a weapon.

Guns evolved into recreational items after being used as items to kill/injure living entities -- hunting and warfare come to mind.

I sincerely doubt the first people to use a gun said "Hey! This thing uses projectile force greater than an arrow to push small objects through mass! Let's see how well we can hit that painted-up box over there!"

Most likely it was "...Wow. Hey, a bear!"
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Tanka)
I sincerely doubt the first people to use a gun said "Hey! This thing uses projectile force greater than an arrow to push small objects through mass! Let's see how well we can hit that painted-up box over there!"

I wouldn't be too sure about that. You never know with those wacky Chinese.
Domino
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
QUOTE (Tanka)

In the West guns replaced bows because 1. they were alot easier to train conscripts to use and 2. were able to pierce steel plate which could be made of a quality and design to defeat most arrows.

Also speaking of French calvary vs longbow the terrain and mud had as much to do with their defeat as the longbow did.
Tanka
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
QUOTE (Tanka)

Gunpowder != Gun

Then again, I'm pretty sure they used gunpowder for fireworks and explosives, so...
Austere Emancipator
They also used it for primitive firearms, made out of bamboo and perhaps something else as well.
SeekerOfPeace
First thing:

yeah, i get that. one of the disadvantages of the forum system: one missed spot check, and you're off-topic for years trying to clarify your statements.

One of the problem to debating on the net is that, there’s no judges! frown.gif

Usually, in real debates, you have judges who evaluate how convincing the debaters argumentation is and choose a winner.

The second problem is that people debate for two reasons. One: To find out the “truth” as subjective as it may be. The other reason is to prove that you’re right, no matter if you actually are or not.

Now, from my experience, most people fall in the second category.

When you debate and your obsession is being right, this is where things turn bad. People get pissed off and disrespectful, people play with semantics to “prove” their points or use irrational logic, they misinterpret what the other person is saying on purpose to create confusion and once again prove their point.

That’s too bad because I don't think anyone is ever right all the time. Sometimes it requires a little bit of humility to admit: “Well, you know what, your judgment is a bit more accurate on that point than mine…” So what? It doesn't much, does it?

I think the reason why people want to be right all the time is partly oversensitive egos that get easily bruised should one be proven to be wrong.

That’s just my take on it. I’m just saying that whenever you are debating it might be a good idea to be honest with yourself and identify what your motivations really are.

Second thing:

And as far as this is concerned:

And this:

Better to go to the appropriate and still valid thread if you want to debate/discuss the "pros and cons of guns from a moral and societal standpoint", which is where it seems Kage is trying to take this, and leave this one to what it originally was: information and facts about guns/firearms/weapons.

And random facts about living in China, I suppose. 

Well, the thread pretty much went in many directions: armor, history, China, languages, politics… etc… AFAIK this pretty much implies that things can go off topic every once in a while.

Also If Kage wants to start a debate about guns in “Guns 101” he’s not that far off from the whole point of the thread is, isn’t he? He’s certainly closer to the point than the bits and pieces about the French language or my observations of China.

And I should add that people don't usually debate by themselves. If more than one person is interested, why not? I thought the whole point of a forum was to communicate.

And finally, since I’ve already said that much, isn’t the moderators function to decide (wrongly or rightly) what should be or shouldn’t be posted and where it should or shouldn't go?

Third thing:

Although I don't really want to get involved about the nature of guns, there’s something that bothers me in the logic being used here.

And they are. Would anyone contradict this fact?

People invent things for a reason, I think we can safely make that statement. Shoes we invented to protect our feet. Guns we invented to kill things.

what something is designed to do is generally less important than what people actually use it for.

What do you mean? From my personal perception of inventions in the world, most things are used in the way they were specifically designed for. Examples:

*Car
*Phone
*Television
*Plane
*Grammar

And so on. So I’m not sure if that statement is true or not. I would’ve to hear more about that from you.

Kagetenshi: you say guns are tools for killing, and people assume you mean that guns are evil--that people who own guns are killers.

I think people bear some responsibility as to how they interpret language. Language is just a tool for communication, it’s up to both the emitter and the receptor to understand each other. I think that to assume that people who own guns are killers is a gross misinterpretation of what is said here.

Vulcan logic? The Vulcan is a minigun, isn't it?

It’s also a race in Star Trek if I’m not mistaken, Spok was Vulcan for instance.

Well the Detroit River (as we call it) is really a strait between Detroit in the U.S. and Widsor in Ontario. Fort Detroit (which later became the City of Detroit) was founded by Antione Cadillac, a French explorer. There were quite a few french explorers and fur trappers in the Mighigan area before the French-Indian War. After that the British took over. We still have lgacies of the french era in may of our place-names. Cadillac, Pontiac, Grosse Isle, Sault Sainte Marie, the Rouge River, Belle Isle, and many others

I had no idea there were French explorers in the states. How deep south did they go? I thought most of them remained close to the Canadian provinces of Quebec and Ontario. Sault St-Marie is on the border of Ontario though, isn’t?

Guns evolved into recreational items after being used as items to kill/injure living entities -- hunting and warfare come to mind.

And you’d be making a really good point.

You never know with those wacky Chinese.

Ahhh… Austere, will you ever come to China? smile.gif

Kagetenshi
QUOTE (SeekerOfPeace @ Oct 7 2006, 10:53 PM)
I had no idea there were French explorers in the states. How deep south did they go?

Pretty deep.

Edit: crap and double-crap, blocked Wikipedia. I can't find another picture that sums it up as well, but they got as far south as Louisiana, which is right next to Texas and has the Gulf of Mexico for its southern coast.

~J
Deamon_Knight
SoP, Where are you from that you know english well, aren't chinese, but are there for bussiness? and are familar with Shadowrun?
eidolon
QUOTE (SoP)
Usually, in real debates, you have judges who evaluate how convincing the debaters argumentation is and choose a winner.

Yup. And those guys are 100% objective, and always right. "Real"? I'd say any debate is only as real as the participants are making it. You could debate the existance of sour cream if you wanted, and quite heatedly, and the guy that likes guac wouldn't give a damn. smile.gif

As to your observations, you're not wrong, you just don't have any experience with Dumpshock. This too shall pass. wink.gif Internet culture has dick to do with the logic one would use in a face to face conversation. Sometimes it's a perk, sometimes it's a flaw.

Interesting side note for example: If I had simply put "<snip>" in the quote, instead of poking Kage's buttons, he probably wounldn't have gotten his hackles up.

The point would still have been "that other thread, where the nature of firearms has already been discussed ad naseum, is a better place for opinions on the nature of firearms than this thread, which was started to discuss facts about firearms". It was well intended, although it could have used a smiley. (OMGZORZ NO SMILEY111) mfb summed up my reason for posting it quite well. Irrelevance to the topic at hand.

Yeah, some wandering is expected, and it can lead to great conversation. Sometimes, you see it leading to the same damn conversation had by the same damn people three days ago, and you'd rather see a thread stay relevant for a change.

So, different ideas about how a thread could go, and different perspectives (I don't remember your having been involved in the Great Gun Debate of '06, for example). Oh well. No harm no foul, there have been worse disagreements here before.

Kage: Which picture did you want to show? If you'll let me know, I'll be glad to host it so he can check it out without having to use Wiki.

edit:: Assuming you meant this one, let me know if you didn't. Image
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (SeekerOfPeace)
Ahhh… Austere, will you ever come to China? smile.gif

I already was there, though only for 9 days and mostly in Beijing. It was quite interesting to see first hand, but I'd be lying if I said I was fond of the country.
SeekerOfPeace
Yup. And those guys are 100% objective, and always right. "Real"? I'd say any debate is only as real as the participants are making it. You could debate the existance of sour cream if you wanted, and quite heatedly, and the guy that likes guac wouldn't give a damn. 

No, you’re right they’re not, they’re only humans.

But I (like to) think that having a third party does reduce the subjectivity of the whole debate.

But defending a lie is dishonest. By lie I mean something which can reasonably be proven to be false. An example of such a statement could be, “You can breath oxygen in outer space.” Or any other statements who are flagrantly false. Sure, people can defend lies, but I guess it’s everyone responsibility to do this as little as possible, for the sake of mental sanity.

As to your observations, you're not wrong, you just don't have any experience with Dumpshock. This too shall pass.  Internet culture has dick to do with the logic one would use in a face to face conversation. Sometimes it's a perk, sometimes it's a flaw.

This is the second time people have told me this. I’m not finding this forum much different than others honestly. Why should the internet culture not obey the same rules of decency that we observe in real life?

Yeah, some wandering is expected, and it can lead to great conversation. Sometimes, you see it leading to the same damn conversation had by the same damn people three days ago, and you'd rather see a thread stay relevant for a change.

Ok, that’s fair, I’ll give you that.

SoP, Where are you from that you know english well, aren't chinese, but are there for bussiness? and are familar with Shadowrun?

Well since you ask. I was born in Quebec. That’s the French speaking part of Canada.

BTW: A tribute to Shadowrun for making the effort to do their homework about Quebec (as limited as it might’ve been). Quebec has had referendums about our independence. The last one was 49% for and 51% against, so I do believe Quebec will become a country of its own eventually. Part of the reason why is because we speak French whereas the rest of Canada speaks English.

So anyways, yeah, I was born in Quebec. Won’t bore you with my life biography but I discovered a passion for languages, starting with English. I love grammar (I know, how boring is that). So I decided to go and study Chinese abroad and teach English at the same time.

So this is why my first language is French, why I know a fair bit about English and why I am currently in China. I wouldn't say on business although that could be a good idea considering China’s economic boom.

Oh! And Shadowrun. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve never heard of Chinese playing pen and paper, the big thing here is World of Warcraft. I recently learned that they actually make money that way. Whoever is unemployed in China can play WoW 3 and sell items or whatnot and make a decent salary!

So about Shadowrun, I played Shadowrun, the French edition when I was a teen. I got a AD&D overdose so I went back to the fresh, innovative system which is Shadowrun.

This is also why I desperately looking for players for my online game as I can’t possibly play with real people here in China.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012