Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alternative to the Dragonheart Trilogy.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
knasser
QUOTE (Warmaster Lah)
I've been getting a good stiffy thinking of all the things Ghostie must have learned on his stay in the metaplanes.

rotfl.gif Now that's the sort of direct writing you just don't see much of any more. 5 nuyen.gif to Warmaster.

Personally, I think whoever developed the DHT was getting a bit too turned on by the idea of a super and benevolent dragon who wuv's us. This is Shadowrun, and we really don't need a big scaly messiah to save us. My game has discretely discarded the whole dragon president thing as being too comical to pull off. It gives players new to the setting entirely the wrong (i.e. D&D) sort of idea for the game. They go "Oh, the president was a dragon... can I go to the magic shop and get some arrows + 5?"
Dog
Interesting point. I've been playing SR since it came out, so to me this is something that they took a long time to build up to. I never thought about how it'd look to a new player who started in the middle of it. Thanks.
SL James
The only thing I'd change about the books would be to excise the sex scenes, but only because they are almost never written well, especially when they are not an integral part of the book (e.g., in romance novels and erotica). Not to mention the fact that the vast majority of readers (being male, natch) aren't going to get off on them, and serve little purpose other than to pad wordcount or take up space.

The story's epic-scale, which is why the power level is so high. It'd make an interesting Exalted novel. However, given the scale of the circumstances and the intent of the novel to wrap up several plotlines that had been developed (e.g, the Horrors). Also, the issue with Dunkelzahn winning the election can be blamed squarely on only one group of people: the players who voted for him.
Fortune
QUOTE (SL James)
... the players who voted for him.

wavey.gif biggrin.gif
SL James
You die! You die and you go to HELL!!!

QUOTE (Kalvan)
I remember reading this one piece of fan fiction called "Heart of the Dragon" in which it turned out that Ryanthusar was a previously unknown great dragon, and the Watergate Rift was caused by a circle of Wendigo blood mages...

The wendigo circle comes from the GenCon '96 Shadowrun tournament, which was set at the Watergate immediately prior to the assassination. They were performing a ritual in the basement.

The Rift has pretty much been explained as being Dunk's work by Mike in an interview I read, but I cannot find (part of which is because it was reposted her in a spoiler tag); part of what happens when he directed 99% of the blast, heat and radiation of the tactical nuke the went off under his limo into the astral plane before he transubstantiated into the metaplanes. Think of it like the nuke at the beginning of Superman II that broke General Zod & Co. out of the Phantom Zone.

The MET2000 part probably comes from the comments in Super Tuesday, the Dunk file Dowd wrote long ago, and POAD: DS that refer to Nadja being a spy for the (retconned out of existence in SoE) Polish monarchy. To be fair, Stranger Souls makes it pretty clear that their meeting in Paris was the first time she and Dunk met, and was not particularly nefarious on her part (according to her POV).
Grinder
QUOTE (SL James)

Judging by his last posts at the DBC, that's not going to scare him.
Fortune
QUOTE (SL James)

That's nothin'. I even received a bequeath in his Will (in my real name). wink.gif

I think there were six or so 'voters' that were drawn (at random? one for each candidate?), and each received a prize, which included a mention in his Will. biggrin.gif
SL James
I know. I've read the annotated will.
emo samurai
QUOTE (SL James @ Oct 19 2006, 11:27 PM)

No, the quote is "You die! You go to hell and you die!" Good aural memory.
SL James
No, see mine was right because I wasn't quoting anyone.
emo samurai
Okay, so it resembles a South Park quote enough to be derivative.
Ancient History
QUOTE (SL James)
I know. I've read the annotated will.

It's nice to be appreciated. smile.gif
Fortune
You're always appreciated. But then, you already know that, you old glory hound. wink.gif smile.gif
SL James
You have your uses.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012