Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do you role play military people?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
eidolon
To back up what mfb is saying, yeah, there's a bit of "cult-y" atmosphere if you want to look at it that way, and yeah, the theory is to break you down and build you up, but unless you had a weak personality and sense of self going in, you're not going to forget who you are and become some
automaton that jumps when someone says boo.

It's hard to get too deep into the psychology of it, because it would require way too much typing.

Oh, and my mileage varies from Critias' explanation on the term "KP". When I was in, it referred pretty specifically to kitchen/mess hall detail. Also, it wasn't reserved specifically as a punishment. Like anything else in the military, if it needs done, someone is going to do it. The kitchen and mess hall staff needed help, so each platoon would have a rotation of sending volunteers. Also, this was a basic training thing only. After boot, I never saw a military dining facility again from anything but the eating side.
Apathy
Of course, no description would match all soldiers all the time, but here are a few thoughts from my experience as a tanker:
  • Soldiers cuss a lot...constantly. This caused me a lot of trouble when I first got out of the Army, because my habit was to include a couple curses in almost all my casual conversation without even realizing it.
  • The code of machismo in the Army encourages everybody to play hard when they're off duty. Lots of drinking, lots of strip clubs, and a whole lot of hangovers.
  • After years of fighting sleep while trying to stay up on radio watch, almost everybody uses a tobacco product of some type (smoke, dip, chew), and drinks coffee compulsively. No-Doz and similar drugs are also popular, and addiction is a common problem.
Dog
I've read about linguistic studies that show that in the American military, there is a specific accent that occurs regardless of where the soldier is stationed. I guess because they move around a lot and interact with one another more often than with the populations around them. Supposedly, a soldier stationed in Boston is going to sound more like another soldier stationed in Houston more than either is going to sound like an occupant of their respective cities.
dog_xinu
If you are questioning you ability to play a serviceman/woman, then you might not be doing it right. I dont know, I wasnt there. I was raised on military bases and then now I have worked with/on/around miitary bases since I got out of the house. My dad was a carreer military officer. Here are some key points:

* very task oriented. They are given a task and they will complete it.
* they work hard, they play hard but never mix the two.
* the are very structured in what they do, how they do it (check lists), etc.
* they are very into their lingo, plans, structure, traditions,etc.
* officers and enlisted act very similar but very different at the same time.

good luck and have fun!
dog
Dog
Thanks, I will.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (kindvixen @ Oct 15 2006, 06:59 AM)
Okay, my experience comes from two summers of working for the military as a manual laborer, and having a lifetime of a Lieutenant dad.

The military, at the core, is all about removal of individuality. One of the reasons that drill officers yell at you like goddamned apes is because they want to break you down, and then paste a proper military grunt personality over yours.

Most 'grunts' respond by behaving like god-damned ten year olds at best, and drunk ten year olds at worst. I've seen monkeys who are more disciplined than the average private who's not being yelled at by a superior.

Though it is, as said, very much a game as well. Your asshole superior yells you deaf because he's supposed to do so. I experienced this in a slightly indirect way, when I was treated like goddamned horseshit by all officers, since they equalled people around my age within military grounds with privates. When I got one of them suspended from work for threatening me (i AM a civilian, they lack the right to do so with me. but for some reason, they have that right with privates), they started treating me like a person.

I learned, fast, that in the military there are only three ways to get something done.
Go to someone more superior than your superior.
Yell loudly enough at someone under you.
Or do it yourself.

Yeah, not too flattering a view of the military. But whatever. This also comes from what my father, who used to work as a drill instructor for a while, has told me.

Basically, to roleplay military people: Just use some lingo and squad tactics in combat. That ought to do it. If not, yell at people smaller than you until your lungs feel sore, salute anyone higher than you and act like a monkey when you're around people of your own rank.

You know, I wonder if that kind of thing isn't from a particular time period. The reason is that none of the military or ex-military people I've personally interacted with have acted like you describe but at the same time in some Vietnam War memoirs I've read about some military personnel who were extremely insecure and hostile leaders.

In one memoir, whose author's name I forgot but which was entitled "And A Hard Rain Fell", there was a drill sergant who was very cruel and sadistic. There was a fat man who had dropped out of law school and ended up being drafted and the drill was always harassing him. As I recall, when the fat man couldn't run with the rest of the group the drill took away all his clothes, threw a cigarette on the ground, and told the fat guy to extinguish the cigarette by pooping on it. When the fat guy finally squeezed out a tiny poop the drill made him carry the poop in his hands and run naked with the rest of the group.

Finally, the fat guy committed suicide and the drill presumably got in trouble because that was the last the author ever saw of him.

Thing is, I've never heard any stories like this recounted by anyone I know today with a military background. I wonder if this had something to do with the military functioning along a different theory (World War II paradigm; zerg rush with bodies and industrial power) than it does today. (Minimize casualties because they sap morale and make you lose the war, so focus on quality instead of zerg rush.)

Edit: Here you go, here's the book: http://www.amazon.com/Hard-Rain-Fell-Story...m/dp/157071987X

Edit 2: Aha, from the reviews, someone is mentioning the part I'm talking about.

He relates a story that took place in basic training involving a recruit named "Fatso" who was physically abused by a sadistic sergeant who took advantage of his authoritative position to bully this soldier in ways that this so-called officer will have to live with for the rest of his life. The soldier eventually took his own life and the officer was "relieved" of his duties.

Edit 3: Holy crap, read the reviews. People either love the book or they hate it. It's, like, an ideological divide.
eidolon
Wounded Ronin, I had missed a good deal of the post you quoted, but you are thinking along the same lines I am now that I've read it more closely.

The military as described by kindvixen sounds like the military of the past, and the military as glorified and romanticized by television and movies.

Any more, stuff like that will get you in hot water with your C.O. faster than you can yell boo. At least, it will in any unit that's functioning worth a damn.
Derek
Actually, the military described by kindvixen sounds like a description given by someone with an ideological axe to grind, the kind of description you would get from someone who is dead set on hating the military. 'Cause the military I'm in is most definitely not like that, nor has it been for as long as I have been in, and wasn't like that before I Was in, either. It's not all roses, but it's certainly the world of mindliess automatons screaming at each other that kindvixen describes.
kindvixen
It might just be that I had bad luck. I just know that I should have pushed back way sooner than I did.

I know that generally the military people aren't all automatons (though the system is built based on that specific goal). But I dare you to tell me to my face that the average off-duty private doesn't act like a darn ape. As everyone else says, they basically spend their time getting smashed and generally playing around very roughly and extremely. "Play hard" is how people put it here, i think.
MUCH nicer term than I used, but effectively the same.

The military isn't all roses, and it usually isn't all automatons yelling. But no matter where you are, there IS a lot of yelling. automatons, drunk apes, or not. The average military way to speak can only be defined as 'Loud'.
eidolon
Sorry, I'm not saying you haven't had experiences that led you to feel that way, but I still have to disagree.

Yeah, I saw some privates that acted that way, especially if their superiors aren't paying enough attention to them. But I also saw plenty of privates that were too busy volunteering in community organizations and organizing and going on BOSS trips to be a thorn in anyone's side.
mfb
QUOTE (kindvixen)
The military, at the core, is all about removal of individuality. One of the reasons that drill officers yell at you like goddamned apes is because they want to break you down, and then paste a proper military grunt personality over yours.

Most 'grunts' respond by behaving like god-damned ten year olds at best, and drunk ten year olds at worst. I've seen monkeys who are more disciplined than the average private who's not being yelled at by a superior.

Though it is, as said, very much a game as well. Your asshole superior yells you deaf because he's supposed to do so. I experienced this in a slightly indirect way, when I was treated like goddamned horseshit by all officers, since they equalled people around my age within military grounds with privates. When I got one of them suspended from work for threatening me (i AM a civilian, they lack the right to do so with me. but for some reason, they have that right with privates), they started treating me like a person.

I learned, fast, that in the military there are only three ways to get something done.
Go to someone more superior than your superior.
Yell loudly enough at someone under you.
Or do it yourself.

Yeah, not too flattering a view of the military. But whatever. This also comes from what my father, who used to work as a drill instructor for a while, has told me.

huh, missed this post. kindvixen's descriptions are pretty accurate... sometimes. there are certainly a lot of lower enlisted who act like this. there are upper enlisted who act like this, too, but they don't tend to remain "upper" for very long--i saw a 20-year veteran retire at E-5; at the height of his career, he'd been an E-7 in an E-8 slot.

hell, if i didn't know better, i'd think kindvixen was talking about our III/V platoon--fuel/arms or arms/fuel, i never remember which; regardless, they were the guys who refueled and rearmed the Apaches. they did a good job, too, as long as they were on the job. to get them there, though, you had to find them, and hope they weren't too drunk. kindvixen might also have been talking about D troop, or A troop, or B troop, or C troop, or HHQ, or the supply detatchment we shared our base with, or the civilian contractors who worked with us...

everybody in Korea drank. if you weren't on duty, you were drinking--it was like an on/off switch. hopefully, once you were back on duty, you weren't still drunk, but shit happens. hell, one of the BOSS trips we took frequently was to the OB beer factory. at the end of the tour, they put you in a room with a bunch of kegs and cups until you were ready to leave. we took full advantage. you want to talk about stunts a ten year-old drunken monkey would think twice about? i had an LTC who got arrested for duck hunting. that doesn't sound like much, until you understand that private citizens in Korea--and this very, very much includes American personnel stationed there--are not allowed to own firearms, much less go around firing them. everybody thought it was hilarious--he got a plaque and everything.

one year, we got honored as the most-badass air attack squadron, or something like that. the only reason i remember the award is because that same year, we got 'honored' as the unit with the most disciplinary actions on the peninsula. we drank to celebrate both distinctions. i don't have the breadth of experience to say for sure, but i'm willing to bet that the units and locations with the most discipline problems are the units and locations with the most unpleasant jobs to do. fueling and arming a chopper while it's snowing sideways isn't, y'know, fun. nobody likes having a job that sucks, and 'playing hard' is the way most people tend to deal with having to do those jobs.
lorechaser
I too know a lot of military stories that start with "We were off duty, and in some bar. I was pretty drunk, and...."

I suspect the ratio may also have a lot to do with deployment status. The guy that's spent 2 years refueling choppers in sideways snow may have a different outlook than the guy that spent 2 years making sure choppers were ready to deploy from bases in the states....
Derek
QUOTE (kindvixen)
It might just be that I had bad luck. I just know that I should have pushed back way sooner than I did.

I know that generally the military people aren't all automatons (though the system is built based on that specific goal). But I dare you to tell me to my face that the average off-duty private doesn't act like a darn ape. As everyone else says, they basically spend their time getting smashed and generally playing around very roughly and extremely. "Play hard" is how people put it here, i think.

The military isn't all roses, and it usually isn't all automatons yelling. But no matter where you are, there IS a lot of yelling. automatons, drunk apes, or not. The average military way to speak can only be defined as 'Loud'.

Ok, I'll go ahead and tell you:

The average off-duty private doesn't act like an ape, any more so than any other average 18-22 year old does.

Have you ever been in or around a college campus? Well, the average private is just like a college student, except with a bit more money (on average), and a bit more discpline. Funny thing, though, as much as alcohol is a problem in today's military, the actual number (percentage wise) of legal offenses (DUI's, drunk inpublic, etc...) is lower than for the equivalent age group of civvillians.

On the other hand, as eidolon said, military personnel do a whole hell of a lot of vounteer work, outside of normal working hours. The motivations are many: sometimes because they were voluntold, sometimes because they volunteer, sometimes to get ahead in their job, sometimes for entirely unfathomable reasons, but regardless, they do a huge amount of volunteer work.

As for what rank civillians are equivalent to, well, I hate to break it to you, but the average civillian isn't equivalent to any rank whatsoever. If they are in a specific job that gives them equivalent rank, then yes, they have those priveleges, and should be treated as such. The various GS (government service) positions have rank equivalents, and provide various priveledges as such. So, whatever job you were in, you may have had a rank equivalency of a private, or a sergeant, or an officer. Of course, it was your responsibility to find out what that was, and act accordingly.

Finally, the military nowadays encourages some individuality and ability to think for yourself. The decision a young corporal or private makes on the battlefield can have strategic, national implications, and trust me, we don't want automatons making those decisions. A lot of time and effort go into leadership and decision making training for that very reason.

Anyways, enough topic tangency. I just get somewhat offended when people seem to have some sort of axe to grind, and use that to paint the military as a whole with a pretty false brush.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Derek)
The average off-duty private doesn't act like an ape, any more so than any other average 18-22 year old does.

Entirely and all the time?

~J
mfb
edit: er, oh. got it, nm.

i think kindvixen's post is probably the clearest representation of the difference between civilian and military life. the guys kindvixen was working with probably remember that day, if they remember it at all, as "the day that civvie flipped out for no reason at all".
Derek
Yep, probably completely true.
Butterblume
I can't really think of any really abusive behavior in my military time. Sure, we were screamed at and such things (but that's just canon wink.gif).
There were a few things, but nothing really major. But then, our platoon leader was a sensible guy. Mainly, the most annoying thing was the strict discipline.

Things like running around in mopp gear in midsummer, carrying around our comrade in a makeshift stretcher while wearing gas masks and singing, visiting the CS gas house or to reassemble various weapons, locked in a locker, while the NCO is hitting the locker with a stick and screaming at you, is all just something you have to experience. (Actually, those things were mostly fun)

It's tradition to get drunk after basic training. We actually were thrown out of a bar. Our NCO was at fault...

PBTHHHHT
QUOTE (mfb)
everybody in Korea drank. if you weren't on duty, you were drinking--it was like an on/off switch. hopefully, once you were back on duty, you weren't still drunk, but shit happens.

Heh, my friend had some fun stories about his time in Korea when he got back. He was a major (now a lt col) at the time and he had to pull duty to walk the bar district and make sure the enlisted didn't get into much trouble. Trying to quell the sitations, calling on the MP's, or worse case the Korean equivalents when it involved Korean citizenry.
Angelone
Real quick on the acting like apes bit, you have to realize that most privates are young and away from home for the first time. Without mommy and daddy watching over their shoulders they think they can get away with it. Most of them learn pretty quickly they can't.

On roleplaying: a suprising number do in my experience. As a side note everybody in my battery plays WoW and most in the battalion do.

In my military experience (US Army, Air Defence) vs. my other jobs, military people are closer than civilians. I don't have a car atm, and so to get somewhere I have to walk, I never have to walk farther than a block before someone stops and offers me a ride. Would you as a civilian do the same?

We call bathrooms shitters too, in and out of private. Cursing is a must. For slang or sayings you got:
Fubar'd "Fucked up beyond all recognition",
"Good day to be a soldier hooah" usually used when it isn't,
quote Murphey's law alot,
"brown and rounds" Drill Sergants,
"Hurry up and wait" you usually get told to be somewhere NOW and then sit around for atleast 4 hours because you weren't expected,
"High speed low drag" umm... not quite sure but it's good,
"Wooowww" said after someone does something really dumb usually followed by "You are a no-go at this station"
"Nasty girls or no-go" slang for National Guard

Add more as I think of them.
kindvixen
QUOTE (mfb @ Oct 16 2006, 01:08 PM)

i think kindvixen's post is probably the clearest representation of the difference between civilian and military life. the guys kindvixen was working with probably remember that day, if they remember it at all, as "the day that civvie flipped out for no reason at all".

I'd be surprised if the guy I got suspended didn't remember it a bit better. These guys worked with my dad too. And basically, while I have no rank in the yelling order, this does not mean they can yell at me as if I was a private.

Imagine if some captain would walk up to you on the street and start yelling his fucking lungs out. See how you'd take it. This was basically the same thing. I was hired to trim the damn rose bushes and to mow the lawns. I was not in the military, and thus technically, on the yelling order, I'm above almost anyone simply due to NOT. BEING. IN. IT.

Meaning, unless it's an emergency, they have no right *OR* reason to yell at me.

I asked my dear dad about the fate of that one officer, and apparently he got into a massive amount of trouble for yelling at and threatening a civilian.

I learned that what they say is true: Nobody can intimidate you without you allowing them to do so. Sadly I presumed that these people act like it to all people my age. While true, this doesn't make it any better. Ah well.
Critias
QUOTE (kindvixen)
QUOTE (mfb @ Oct 16 2006, 01:08 PM)

I'd be surprised if the guy I got suspended didn't remember it a bit better. These guys worked with my dad too. And basically, while I have no rank in the yelling order, this does not mean they can yell at me as if I was a private.

Imagine if some captain would walk up to you on the street and start yelling his fucking lungs out. See how you'd take it. This was basically the same thing. I was hired to trim the damn rose bushes and to mow the lawns. I was not in the military, and thus technically, on the yelling order, I'm above almost anyone simply due to NOT. BEING. IN. IT.

Meaning, unless it's an emergency, they have no right *OR* reason to yell at me.

I asked my dear dad about the fate of that one officer, and apparently he got into a massive amount of trouble for yelling at and threatening a civilian.

I learned that what they say is true: Nobody can intimidate you without you allowing them to do so. Sadly I presumed that these people act like it to all people my age. While true, this doesn't make it any better. Ah well.

It's good to see that this experience didn't leave a chip on your shoulder.
kindvixen
QUOTE (Critias)

Towel for your dripping sarcasm?
Oracle
It's Critias. He will need much more than a towel. wink.gif
Derek
Again, kv, you are wrong. First of all, if you were working on a military base, you are automatically subject to some of the same regulations. Not all of them, nor even many of them, but some of them, but virtue of venturing on a federal military installation. There is a sign at the front gate of every military installation stating this, and you agreed to those terms by driving (or walking) onto the base.

Second, you were working for the military, even if you were only trimming the bushes. So, again, you fell under some of the rules and regulations. Not the full blown Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ), but some similiar regulations.

Also, sorry to say but in the pecking order, you were pretty low. You were probably either a very low level GS (I'd guess a GS-3, equivalent to about a private), or more likely, a contractor. Now, neither of those gave that officer the right to yell at you, but I'd hazard a guess that what you called yelling was most likely just correcting you in a louder tone of voice than your tender sensibilites were used to, and if you were doing your job (trimming the bushes) incorrectly, that officer certainly did have the right to correct you.

Finally, I would take the word of your father with a large grain of salt, as parents are often known to defend their children above all others, especcially when said children were completely wrong.

So, in closing, to the original poster, I think you can take kv's view of the military as more than biased and discount it. This does bring up a good point though: military personnel generally don't put up with a lot bullshit ***if they have the ability to do something about it*** On the other hand, if they can't do anything about it, military people can put up with a huge amount of bullshit.
eidolon
QUOTE (kindvixen)
QUOTE (Critias @ Oct 17 2006, 06:32 AM)

Towel for your dripping sarcasm?

He may be being a bit sarcastic, but he has a point. You're taking that one incident with one officer, and using it as a brush with which to paint an entire military in broad strokes. That's just silly. Even if the situation is exactly what you say it was, and I'm sure that from your perspective it was, it's hardly indicative of anything other than one guy being a jerk.

That, combined with your slightly "nyah-nyah" attitude, doesn't really do a whole lot to stabilize your platform, really. No offense or anything, just telling you what it looks like from another viewpoint.
Critias
"The mean man who I was in the temporary employ of said nasty things to me louder than my mommy does when I'm getting a time out, so I'm going to play and replay that single occurence in my mind over and over again until I convince myself -- and then move on to convince everyone else -- that everyone in the military is a screaming neanderthal! But everything will be okay, and I'll be able to sleep at night, because I know that me crying to my daddy about cut someone's military career short, or at least has left a black mark on their record."

Sorry, dude, but that's just how I see Story Time With KindVixen going right now. *shrugs*

Like it better now that I'm being up front, instead of sarcastic?
Angelone
In my, admittedly short, military experience I have learned that officers don't yell at you unless you really fuck something up. That is what NCOs are for. Officers tell the NCOs what needs to be done and leave it up to them to figure it out.

Not saying KV cut a limb and it dropped on the guys car or something, hell the guy could have been having a bad day and she? could have been in the wrong placed at the wrong time.

EDIT- Out of curiosity, KindVixen, what specific branch are you talking about? Your use of the terms "drill officer" and "drill instructor" leads me to believe Air Force because that's what my sister and friends in the Air Force call them. We in the Army call them Drill Sergants, not sure bout Navy or Marines.

EDIT 2-I misremembered Air Force calls them Training Instructors according to my Sis.
Mistwalker
In my experience, most of the yelling happens in recruit training.

There are many reasons for this.
Tradition, because it has always been this way.
To cause a break between the recruit's civilian life and his military life.
To cause the recruits to band together, to support each other in the face of adversity (the Drill Intructors).
To get the recruits to follow orders immediately, as a reflex. This is to save lives.

Once recruit training is over, things calm down a lot.

Because your life depends on your mates actions/support/etc.., you back them up, as they back you up. Even if you don't particularly like them. You take care of your own.

If out of combat, once the incident is over (bar brawl, etc..), if you feel they were wrong, then you take it up with them, from talking to blanket parties to etc...

My two cents worth: If you are playing a military background, he will probably want to train with his team, to know what they will do / react, so that he doesn't have to think about it in combat. He knows what they will do.
You take care of your people, from support to discipline.
Especially special forces, you don't need to prove anything to anyone, you know what you can do.
Derek
QUOTE (Angelone)

EDIT- Out of curiosity, KindVixen, what specific branch are you talking about? Your use of the terms "drill officer" and "drill instructor" leads me to believe Air Force because that's what my sister and friends in the Air Force call them. We in the Army call them Drill Sergants, not sure bout Navy or Marines.

Marines call them Drill Instructor
mfb
QUOTE (kindvixen)
I'd be surprised if the guy I got suspended didn't remember it a bit better.

my mistake, then. they remember it quite clearly as "the day that damn civvie flipped out for no reason at all and got CPT Whoever in trouble".
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Mistwalker)

If out of combat, once the incident is over (bar brawl, etc..), if you feel they were wrong, then you take it up with them, from talking to blanket parties to etc...

That's good to know. No character drama in the middle of the firefight. It's worth mentioning because I've seen that kind of thing to down in general in SR games, where one character is mad at another character for something and they start doing their in character drama while bullets are whizzing around.

I mean, in real life, that probably wouldn't be realistic anyway whether or not you have a military background, but it's worth mentioning because I've seen it happen sometimes in games.
eidolon
An excellent point, and something I try to enforce as much as possible in my games. Even two first day on the job goons with guns won't try to debate their preferred beers in the middle of trying not to get shot.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (kindvixen @ Oct 17 2006, 04:49 AM)

Imagine if some captain would walk up to you on the street and start yelling his fucking lungs out. See how you'd take it.

Actually, and in all honesty, I'd probably think that it was the funniest thing in the world.

I've had worse things happen to me and they just didn't bother me that much. I've been mugged in New York City as a middle schooler and while it was somewhat traumatic at the time I think it pissed off my parents more than it pissed me off.

When I was a grad student in New Orleans I had two incidents where someone tried to intimidate me on the street, which in my mind is more serious than someone just coming and yelling at me. In both cases the person left after I wasn't intimidated. In one of the cases I actually started moving closer to the guy in order to assault him and he ran away. I was mildly angry at the time but overall I remember the episodes as being humorous episodes, especially since the people in question basically retreated once I failed to be an abject coward.

So, yeah...if some military-looking guy with big muscles and a crew cut (since I don't know enough about the military to make a more sophisticated identification) ran up to me on the street and randomly started yelling at me, I'd wonder if he was on crack or really drunk or something. I'd probably just ignore him and continue on my way and then tell my friends about the military nutcase who ran up to me and started screaming over beers or something.

EDIT: Actually, I do have one episode in my life where I was on a base and a military guy was a little bit mean to me, and my reaction *was* humor.

In order to have an easy time with the paperwork for my Peace Corps physical I went to Nellis Air Force Base in Las Vegas to get all my shots and my physical from the military hospital there since doing this would eliminate the need for me to do additional billing and reimbursement related paperwork. All the staff and military personnel were extremely kind and helpful except for one man; the guy at the gate. He had sergant's stripes (which I recognized from playing lots of America's Army) but he was guarding the gate, so a friend of mine who used to be an Air Force lieutenant later told me that he was probably being disciplined for something and hence was probably in a bad mood.

Anyway, something was out of order with my dad's vehicle registration and the sergant told us that he couldn't drive on the base. I shrugged and just walked across the base to the hospital.

The sergant wasn't rude or anything, and you could say he was just doing his job, although you could also argue that the vehicle registration issue was minor, but in the end it just wasn't that big of a deal. I walked for a while and did what I needed to do and then walked out.

My reaction was to later on tell this story to the aforementioned former Air Force lieutenant as a funny story. So, yeah...my reaction appears to be humor.
eidolon
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
big muscles

Well, right there you'd know he wasn't MI. wink.gif

(Yeah yeah, some MI guys are hooah and work out...some. We call them hardcores, and not in a loving tone. biggrin.gif)
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
No character drama in the middle of the firefight. It's worth mentioning because I've seen that kind of thing to down in general in SR games, where one character is mad at another character for something and they start doing their in character drama while bullets are whizzing around.

I mean, in real life, that probably wouldn't be realistic anyway whether or not you have a military background, but it's worth mentioning because I've seen it happen sometimes in games.

Fragging/friendly fire. Drama probably doesn't start during firefights, but it's certainly ended during them.

~J
eidolon
The last fraggings I know of were hardly during a firefight, and were motivated by quite a bit more than "that guy peed in my cheerios".

As far as friendly fire, the last few that I've been aware of (that made it into the open) were simple combat accidents. (I say that made it into the open, because the Tillman case is a glaring example of one we the public don't really know the causes of.)
Kagetenshi
When I said "friendly fire" I didn't mean the accidental kind, I was acknowledging fragging that didn't use grenades. That said, you're right that it isn't always (or even usually) during a firefight.

~J
eidolon
Ah, gotcha.
mfb
speaking of fragging, there are a lot of ramifications to whole idea of military standards. there are very clear rules and regs in place to handle almost any situation--and it's an unspoken part of a soldier's job to make sure those rules and regs appear to have been followed. the key word there is "appear". that means that when a problem comes up, the first thing you do is to try to handle it without pulling the rules and regs into it. if two soldiers get into a fistfight, you send someone in to mediate and make sure the fight doesn't flare up again. if punishment is due, the NCOs in charge of those soldiers generally handle it off the books if possible. only after every other recourse has been exhausted does anything official happen.

this works the other way, too. we had a 1LT in our unit who kept calling on our commo section for bullshit little stuff, like yanking us off our current tasks to mow the HQ yard. he called me in to change the font on his computer's Word program, and i wiped the fucker's hard drive while he was out of the office. i blamed it on the fact that he'd downloaded AIM and MSN Messenger--made up some crap about how he must have gotten a virus. sorry, sir, nothing i can do. the LT bitched at my section sergeant, of course, but he got the message when my section sergeant gave me the rest of the day off. that LT didn't fuck around with commo after that. nice, neat, and off the record, just the way everybody likes it.
eidolon
Ugh. I wish the MI community still handled stuff that way. As a whole, MI has gone completely corporate, to the point that they whip out the books for everything. You couldn't even drop a punk for mouthing off in my last office. Verbal counseling, first written counseling, second written counseling, recommendation for UCMJ action. Pathetic.

(Should note that I was strategic.)
mfb
yeah, the higher up you go, the more frequently you have to do things by the book.
Cleremond
QUOTE (kindvixen)

Speaking from experience....the only time there is any "Automatons" yelling at each other is in a specific training environment like Basic Training, Airborne Training, Ranger Training, BUDS, SERE, SWIC, or other schools where rank is more or less meaningless (officers and enlisted together, equal, in the same training class) and the goal of the school is disciplinary in nature. By that I mean, the purpose of the school is to instill discipline in the trainee with regard to specific military related skills. Take SERE school for instance. SERE = Survival Evade Resistance Escape. This training course is required for all military personnel who have high risk of being trapped behind enemy lines like special forces and pilots. Cadre, during the resistance and escape phases of the school test a students metle in many ways, all of them designed to over stress the student so they can disover their own breaking point. Yelling? Yep...you bet. Mental abuse? Sleep deprivation? Yep....you bet.

But what you describe is NOT the day to day culture in the military....at least not in the Army. Marines I'm sure are a little tougher, but in the Army, Combat Support and Service Support MOS's are basically a 9AM - 5PM job, with an extra 1.5 hours of PT thrown each day in the mornings from 6:30AM -8AM, unless your unit is deployed to the field for Field Training, a JRTC (Joint Readiness Training), or a combat deployment.

Day to Day for a Combat Arms job is similar, but their Field Training occurs alot more frequently and their situational exercises deal alot more with putting a round in a target and other supporting activities (MOUT Operations, Airborne Operations, Air Assault Operations, etc.)

When a soldier fucks up....and is on the carpet in front of the 1st Sergeant getting his ass chewed....yeah, there's the potential for yelling. When yer doing drill and ceremony on the parade grounds, yep...commands are "barked". However, yelling in the day to day course of business is unecessary unless its warranted for some reason.

Military training isn't brainwashing per se....though if a recruit is already extremely suseptable to suggestion, its possible for them REALLY loose their identity in their training. I never forgot who I was, where I came from, my likes, my dislikes, or my view of self. I became more disciplined.....self disciplined.....and realized that i really could do more than I thought I could in alot of areas.....endurance, both physical AND mental. I gained the ability to laugh in the face of adversity, put my needs or wants to the side and work within a group to accomplish something greater than what i could do on my own.

There is a social reconditioning that takes place when you are in that kind of envrionment for 4 years or more. There are customs and coutesies that must be adhered to. There are expectations for behavior. But I don't think these things take away from one's identity or character. In my opinion, they add to it.

Just my perspective.
eidolon
Damn fine writeup Cleremond.
Butterblume
I won't get tired of these stories in the near future wink.gif.

Just in case it isn't general knowledge, the german Baron von Steuben reputedly introduced the art of yelling at people in the US army.
eidolon
Actually, he was instrumental in the formalizing of the way we fought at the time. He introduced the concept of Drill and Ceremony, which was in the beginning both a training tool and an method of instilling discipline in the troops.

Today, D&C is used more for ceremony, and still functions as a tool to reinforce troop discipline.

So not yelling, per se, but you're not far off. wink.gif
Cleremond
QUOTE (eidolon)
Damn fine writeup Cleremond.

Hey thanks man.

I appreciate it.

smile.gif
Cleremond
QUOTE (lorechaser)
I too know a lot of military stories that start with "We were off duty, and in some bar. I was pretty drunk, and...."

Hehe....I missed this post earlier.

Man....I've got alot of stories that begin that way.

I remember at Ft. Bragg, I was assigned to one of the aviation units and about 13 of us went out to celebrate after we received a "Commendable" rating on one of our ARMS (Aviation Resource Management) inspections. We went to this one club and one of my buddies started hitting on this one fairly hot chick who was already sortta up for grabs between these four Force Recon Marines that were there at Bragg TDY from Cherry Point for some joint excercise that was going on. Well, he was drunk, my buddy that is......we all were, and before you knew it a fight broke out between this Marine and my buddy. Another buddy of mine jumped in which gave the green light to that Marine's three buds to jump into too. Before you knew it, it was four Force Recon Marines against thirteen Army aviation guys with alot of other folks getting drawn in for good measure......and guess what.......

They whipped our asses. I jumped into the fray about 45 seconds into the fight...I hit one of the marines REAL hard only to have the guy smile at me, then I took two hits (one to the face, one to the gut) and before I knew it was thown into a corner. I decided to just sit back after that, nurse my bloody lip, and watch the rest of the fight unfold. It was a massacre. These four dudes had clearly been fighting together as a team for a while and they just mopped the floor with everyone. It was, quite literally, like watching a brawl in an action movie.

MP's finally got there, broke it all up and took three of my buddies, two of the marines in, and like five or six other patrons that had got drawn into the brawl. I think the bill was like $5700 in damage done to the place.

I'll never forget it. Fun stuff!

biggrin.gif
emo samurai
Okay, show of hands, who's in the military?
Fortune
Is? Or was?
Angelone
Both, I suppose. I am military, and have yet to get into a drunken bar brawl they always seem to happen when I decide to skip going. Guess I'm just likeable, because I'm definately not intimadating.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012