Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My Current Campaign
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
MadDogMaddux
OK, some of you have been following my adventures as a new GM in Shadowrun - mostly a campaign with one player and the potential for a few others in the future.

My player's character is named Jace and is not REALLY a street sammy, but has some similarities - mostly boosted synapses, and lots of skills with weapons. Recently he made the dumb choice to walk alone through the Tacoma Warehouse district at night, got mugged, and lost most of his gear. I was nice and didn't have him get organ-legged.

The next night, he went out and mugged some poor drunk leaving a bar and sold the guy's commlink for a few Nuyen.

Tonight, we got together to get him to a place where he'd be ready to work with another character (hopefully) this weekend.

I posted here and asked for a bunch of creative mugging victim ideas, and so was all ready to roll with it.

Instead, he decides to lay low and wait for his scrounger contact to find him an Ares Predator IV. While he's waiting, his hacker brother turns up news that the Pet Store Jace broke into the other night while looking for a specific pet to steal was shot up really badly. No reports or witnesses to who did it (it was the Mob, btw - the pet he stole belonged to a Mafia Lieutenant who had it kenneled there for some personal care. When they didn't have it, he had the place shot up good.). Jace's brother reminds him that a security guard at the apartments where he found the pet took his photo with his cybereyes. Figuring to play it safe, Jace decides that the security guard needs to be found and have his memory erased.

He spends 2 days casing the guy (but not very well) and never really makes a firm plan. (I was hoping he'd ambush him with his Narcojet Heavy Crossbow when he headed out for work at 11PM or so, but he never was willing to go to the guy's house for some reason) In the end, he follows the guy to his Rent-a-cop office, and waits for him to come out after clocking out. The guy does, hails a cab, and when it arrives, both he and Jace get in.

The guy recognizes that he recognizes him, and begins searching through his headware to recognize it. So Jace pulls out his Streetline Special and tells him to quit doing what he's doing, and that he's coming with him.

The guy relaxes, sends a message to his security corp via his headware, and just sits there, knowing that help is on the way.

Jace figures out that something is up, pulls out a narcojet bolt, and stabs the guy with it, then pistol whips him for good measure.

They're in an automated cab, headed to the warehouse district where Jace's brother will meet them and wipe the guy's memory, and Jace can't break through the barrier to commandeer the vehicle (no pilot skills anyhow).

Pretty soon, a squad car from the security corp shows up, tailing the taxi. After a while, it pulls up beside, and the passenger rolls down the window and begins shooting at the tires.

Jace rolls down the window, pulls up his Heavy Crossbow and hits the guy for 8 Physical and 9 Stun damage after resistance. (I applied a +2 dice pool to the defese roll to reflect the fact that he's shooting into another car.)

With all the damage, the guy slumps over (how do you handle knockdown when seated in a car?) and Jace shoots the driver on his second initiative pass (I gave HIM a +3 dice pool to reflect being deeper inside the car). Hits him and does less damage, but still a heckuvalot.

Jace wins the next round of inits and puts another bolt into the driver, who dies immediately and causes the car to crash.

At this point Jace STOPS the taxi, gets out, and checks over the security vehicle, but leaves everything, jumps in the taxi and hauls off to an alley to meet his brother.

The brother inserts a kink bomb into the security guard's datajack, frying the cyber there, then Jace slits the guard's throat for good measure.

Then on foot, they head back to the crash site, jump in the car and drive off, Kink Bombing the two bodies, then rifling through the gear. They leave the car in an alley, and I have Jace's brother think to use the battery and fuel to burn the car after they've stripped some gear out (not a lot tho, it's a small time security corp. ).

They t hen go home, grab all their gear, and leave the apartment. Jace wants to start over, so ditches the fake SIN associated with that apartment as well. (I also took away the lifestyle he'd bought before the game)

In the end, they picked up 3 crappy comm links, some decent CyberGlasses, 1 Remmington 990, 2 Ares Predators, 2 Armored Vests, and some other small stuff that Security Guards might carry.

So, I'm still new to this - did he get away with that too easily? Should I have had other cops show up sooner? (Tacoma warehouse district, roughly 1PM) Should the security guys have had more/less gear?

Any comments for future improvement would be greatly appreciated.

Also, do I award Karma for this or not? It was not a contract, just something he felt like he needed to do to not get connected with the pet-napping.
MadDogMaddux
Also, some conventions I'm using :

Sometimes I just have him roll his edge dice to see if the situation develops favorably for him or not.

He took Mild Common Allergy, but left me to define it, so I made it an allergy to Smog. Anytime he's out without a respirator, I make him roll Body, and if he doesn't get a hit, assess him some stun damage. Should the threshold be higher, effects be different?

I find that I use perception a lot, whenever he asks me a detail about the world, I have him roll perception -2 to see if he noticed.

A lot of times, I don't generate characters for him to fight - just use 3 for all stats for random generic characters. Good idea or bad idea?

Bah, I think I had more questions, but can't remember. I'll post 'em as I do. THX!
Fortune
QUOTE (MadDogMaddux @ Nov 2 2006, 03:09 PM)
He took Mild Common Allergy, but left me to define it, so I made it an allergy to Smog. Anytime he's out without a respirator, I make him roll Body, and if he doesn't get a hit, assess him some stun damage. Should the threshold be higher, effects be different?

Um, it's a Mild Allergy. At most it should be a minor irritant (ie. a small dice pool penalty). It should almost never actually cause damage.

I find that I use perception a lot, whenever he asks me a detail about the world, I have him roll perception -2 to see if he noticed.

Why the arbitrary and ever-present -2 penalty?
de4dmeta1
QUOTE (Fortune)

Why the arbitrary and ever-present -2 penalty?

I'm thinking because of the distraction caused by his mild allergy.
MadDogMaddux
Rules state that unless you SAY you're making it a point to observe in detail, you get a -2 penalty.
kzt
QUOTE (MadDogMaddux)
Rules state that unless you SAY you're making it a point to observe in detail, you get a -2 penalty.

You realize that following the perception rules explicitly means that the average person without perception skill walking down the street won't EVER notice the crowd of terrified screaming people running past him fleeing machinegun fire without using edge? Does this make sense to you? It doesn't to me.
MadDogMaddux
fair enough. I don't mind ditching the rule - but I'm still grappling with the ruleset, so I have not gotten around to throwing stuff out just cuz it doesn't make sense. nyahnyah.gif
Fortune
QUOTE (MadDogMaddux)

Rules also say to use Perception sparingly, as in only when it really matters, as opposed to things like noticing whether the last Stuffer Shack Slitch™ that served you was blonde or brunette.
MadDogMaddux
LOL

Well, I was more thinking like specific numbering on a police car, etc.
Fortune
QUOTE (MadDogMaddux @ Nov 2 2006, 06:35 PM)
Well, I was more thinking like specific numbering on a police car

And in that example, I would think an actual Perception test with a -2 Dice Pool penalty is fair enough. biggrin.gif
Mistwalker
You do realize that Jace, who would have been only wanted only for B&E and pet napping, commited 3 murders to cover it up?

Shakes his head.

That shoot out at 1PM should have been captured on a lot of cameras, specially as he got out of the cab, then came back with an accomplice to get the car. You have to remember that all cybereyes have the capability of recording, as well as all the security cameras and drones flying around.

Hmm, think I would have had the guys in the rent-a-cop car been on the commlink to HQ, letting them know about the crossbow wielding guy, before they went off line, after all, they were responding to a kidnapping, with several other cars responding to them going off line, if not Lone Star HTR team.

What did they do with the car? ditch it somewhere? if so, did they santize it to remove all of their traces? if not, then the murder investigation will have a few clues and Jace will have problems down the road.

Are there any steath RFID tags on the gear taken from the rent-a-cops? hmm, did they even check for RFIDs, the regular kind?

You may want to educate your player about RFIDs if he doesn't know about them. As well, depending on the style of game you want to play, you may want to let the player know that murders of any kind will draw more investigations and resources than non-lethal damage or simple B&E style charges.
ChicagosFinest
Is this a back story to him actually becoming a pro shadowrunner?
Moon-Hawk
If he's not in combat and he's asking about the world, assume he's takinga simple action and observing in detail. That -2 should only apply in combat when they're not spending the simple action, or if you ask for the perception test (to notice the sniper, for example), rather than when they ask for it.
That's my rule of thumb.
lorechaser
Re: 3 murders - that was my general comment.

He went *way* overboard and escalated things hugely. The autocab most likely has recordings of him stabbing and pistol whipping the guy. The response team certainly did (although I don't think a bigger response was needed, unless this was a very protective corp. The guy wasn't on duty, and wasn't at an asset - they were just responding to help an employee out. They wouldn't send the big guns.).

I personally wouldn't have the response team take out the autocab - it's an *auto* cab - someone controls it. Just call the dispatcher, and have it pull over.

But Jace then escalated hugely by killing 3 guards, cutting someone's throat (!?) and burning the bodies. That's huge.

Also, 9 phys and 8 stun? Did he shoot the guy twice? Crossbows are a complex action to use, so either he got too many shots off, or you might have misunderstood the damage rules....
Mistwalker
Lorechaser,
there are injection arrows and bolts. They do normal damage, as well as inject a drug into the subject. Narco-jet is a common drug used on these.
So, with a heavy crossbow, 7P, -1 AP (iirc), you also add in 10S due to the narco-jet.
Mistwalker
As for the rent-a-cop company sending in back up, I wasn't saying to have an HTR team go in with the first call, but once the 1st back-up team in the squad car started losing people.

If they are a small company, they will call Lone Star, after all, it is a kidnapping, assault causing bodily harm, assault with a weapon, etc... for multiple people. Being used to shadowrunners, or at least the idea of them, they would probably not want to take them on directly, but get Lone Star HTR team to come in and do it.
lorechaser
QUOTE (Mistwalker)
Lorechaser,
there are injection arrows and bolts. They do normal damage, as well as inject a drug into the subject. Narco-jet is a common drug used on these.
So, with a heavy crossbow, 7P, -1 AP (iirc), you also add in 10S due to the narco-jet.

Ahhh.

The wording confused me. It's early here, yet. wink.gif

Carry on.
Butterblume
Personally, I like bigger responses of security forces. After all, they have to assume that everyone committing a (capitel) crime is 'superhuman' in one way or another. Today, police forces assume the suspect is armed, and act accordingly.

Bored LS cop: 'Did you hear about those two security guys who commited suicide?'
Other bored LS cop: 'How did they do it?'
Bored LS cop: 'Went after a kidnapper without backup.'
Other bored LS cop, munching another sonut(*): 'Dumb bastards.'

[(*) Sonut: our version of a soy donut]
Ophis
QUOTE (lorechaser)
Also, 9 phys and 8 stun? Did he shoot the guy twice? Crossbows are a complex action to use, so either he got too many shots off, or you might have misunderstood the damage rules....

The crossbows are a simple action to fire, like everything else not in FA mode. The write mentions that they need no ready weapon action to load a bolt. They have a pump action like the one in dusk till dawn.
lorechaser
Dammmmn.

I'd never even looked at the crossbow under the new rules. That's just amusingly impressive.

Moon-Hawk
How does that work? If you can mechanically cock it with one shotgun-like pump, it would have to have a very weak draw. If it has a strong draw, (stronger than you can achieve with one hand) you'd need to pump it 15 times like a super-soaker have enough mechanical advantage to slowly ratchet it back.
Newton! Archimedes! Help me understand the SR4 shotgun-bow!
BishopMcQ
Perhaps there is a mechanism which automatically pulls the string back, like a tailhook in reverse. Then the pumping action would only be to feed another bolt into the firing line.
Moon-Hawk
Ah, so an electrically powered winch cocks it for you, and the mechanical action is just to put a new bolt in position. Sure, that makes sense. Well, enough sense, anyway. Thanks!
lorechaser
It is an interesting question, actually.

Because on firearms, most of the time the recocking is done by explosive pressure. The crossbow has none of that. So either it has a some sort of geared mechanism that converts the pump to a much stronger pull, or a motorized draw....

And a motorized draw to pull the string back in 1.5 seconds to the point that it does 7P and -1 AP is a strong motor....
Moon-Hawk
It still seems to me that it should be SS, not SA, even in that case.
Butterblume
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Repeating_crossbow

There are multiple way how the SR4 crossbow could work this way. My favourite is one where the elasticity of the string changes by applying an electrical current (so the x-bow needs a battery to function properly wink.gif).
Mistwalker
For some reason, I have in the back of my mind that crossbows are SS and bows are SA. Seems reasonable to me, but haven't looked it up in the BBBs yet.
BishopMcQ
Projectile weapons do not list a firing mode in my BBB.
lorechaser
QUOTE (Mistwalker)
For some reason, I have in the back of my mind that crossbows are SS and bows are SA. Seems reasonable to me, but haven't looked it up in the BBBs yet.

It would actually be the reverse.

Bows are specifically called out to take a simple action to load (under ready weapon). So they can't be SA, only SS.

Crossbows, on the other hand, seem to be autoloading, and thus could be either SS or SA. I'd lean towards SA, because they "are equipped with automatic
reloading devices to allow for faster firing rates (reloading
doesn’t require a Ready Weapon action....)"

So a crossbow can be fired each time you pull the trigger, just like a SA weapon.

MadDogMaddux
As I said earlier, a lot of this was done on the fly, didn't know which way he was going to go, so I was shooting from the hip.

I'm envisioning this as a small-time rent-a-cop corp, so I wouldn't expect them to have a LOT of resources, but then again, that DOES sort of point to the idea of them calling Lone Star for backup. And the omni-presence of cameras is something that I'd forgotten at the time.

As far as the car and bodies, they burned it/them, so at least they did that right.

Add to this whole mix the fact that Jace is a SINner - so I suppose his face could be quickly linked to his SIN unless he's had major reconstructive surgery?

And re: his logic - I think it spooked him that the place he broke into got shot up really bad with no witnesses. He wanted to make sure not to get shot up by those same guys. <wink>

So what do you think then, should I just have him roll a new character, or is there some way to explain him not being arrested?
Mistwalker
I would say that making a new char would depend on both you and your player. If both want to continue with the story, in spite of or because of his rocky start, why not.

If he would rather make up someone new, and have the player learn from his experiences, why not.

Ways of keeping him going. Have his brother hack the cab company and change the face (maybe replace the face with a guy falks mask, a la V). Hand wave that the area of the crash was outside of any active cameras. As for all the cybereyes of the witnesses, they didn't get a good angle. Lone Star wasn't able to respond immediately because they were already dealing with 2 shadowrun teams and didn't have time for a singleton.

Have you player sweat it for a bit, before it becomes known that they have no suspects, nor good photos of Jace, just a general description that matches most men his age.

Perhaps explain to Jace's player the joys of selling vehicles to a Fixer, selling used bodies and cyberware to a street doc (or ghouls or Tanamous). This may have allowed Jace to get enough cash to buy more gear.
kzt
QUOTE (MadDogMaddux)
Add to this whole mix the fact that Jace is a SINner - so I suppose his face could be quickly linked to his SIN unless he's had major reconstructive surgery?
. . .
So what do you think then, should I just have him roll a new character, or is there some way to explain him not being arrested?

I doubt it can be exactly linked, but it sure narrows it down. And he's burned now that he has his picture being shown on the front of the screamsheets and the news. Nobody who doesn't intend for him to die will hire him. Most will turn him in for the sizable reward.

Any security company that isn't populated by morons will track their vehicles in real time. A suddenly stopped security vehicle that suddenly isn't answering the radio should elicit a very rapid response by a bunch of heavily armed guys.

I'd say it's time for either a new character or a plotline that involves him going to jail after his buddies turn him in for the reward.
MadDogMaddux
OK, to clarify, the car is gone. They burned it and the bodies in an alley. Before they burned it, they set off kink bombs to wipe the headware in each of the three guys.

I can handle hand waving away the cameras in the area, question is, how likely is it that a Jace got caught by a live feed from someone's cyber-eyes/glasses?

If I can get rid of that, I'll let him keep the character. He's having to ditch one of his Fake SINs, and his 3 months of Medium Lifestyle (current apartment included) in order to pull it off anyhow.
kzt
QUOTE (MadDogMaddux)
I can handle hand waving away the cameras in the area, question is, how likely is it that a Jace got caught by a live feed from someone's cyber-eyes/glasses?

Today, most major city PDs have heavily armored and insulated DVRs anchored to the frame of their patrol cars that take in the feeds from the dashboard cameras. So I'd suspect that if you get within view of a security vehicle it sees you also, and dumps it to memory. If something bad happens I'd expect that it would send the last few minutes of imagery where anything happened. Bad includes car catching on fire, even though that probably wouldn't hurt the recorder unless they got to to burn for an hour or two.

Plus, If you was pulling up to car with an unknown suspect in it wouldn't you gain as much info as possible on him as possible as fast as possible? If you had a current video feed on him wouldn't you include that?

Now you have established that these guys were truly stupid mopes who didn't have a clue, run by a company that was so incompetent that I'm surprised they ever get anyone to pay them money, so it open to question whether they did anything right.

Of course, the image of him that was taken with that cyber eye several days ago is sitting on the companies server, not just on the guys headware. While they didn't think anything of it at the time I suspect they will look at it again.
Butterblume
Shadowrun should be fun to play.

The way I would probably handle this:
Lonestar doesn't pursue this case, because there is no hard evidence, and everyone knows how easy it is to fake imagery. The security corp doesn't have the ressources. Even if they somehow manage to get name and adress, the char is gone after he ditched the identity and moved.
Slump
re: Allergy, Mild (Smog)

For the most part, I would have his character exibit symptoms of a real allergy. Sneezing, runny nose, watery eyes, with dice penalties to visual or precise tasks, at random times (now to cut the green wire.. *sneeze* Oh crap). I would only do damage on heavy smog days (looks like the fog is rolling in ... from the manufacturing district.), and even then, stun, to represent extra fatigue from struggling through the allergy.
2bit
I hope you keep going with this guy. He's really cutting his teeth here. I love how he's had to pay so much for the little victories, and just keeps spiralling downward.

Your rent-a-cop played it cool with a gun to his head, something not many at his payscale would be able to do. Posthumous kudos to him.

I also think it's cool how important the hacker brother has been to him. Without him, Jace would just be a desperate man with a gun. Man, solo games can be a lot of fun.
lorechaser
Indeed. If you were a seasoned GM, and he a seasoned player, it's new character time.

Since neither of you are, you're learning. Give him the reasons that he got away this time. Make it clear those reasons are pure dumb luck. Mistwalker's examples are good - they clearly point to "All the stars aligned for you this time, chummer."

Or just flat tell him out of game "Hey, man, we probably should toss your character, but we're having fun. So next time, you're hosed, but we'll run with it now!"

MadDogMaddux
Works for me. He's already mentioned that if he loses this character, he'll start working up a Mage he's been thinking of. nyahnyah.gif But I like letting him keep going until he actually DOES get killed.

Speaking of which, he has a DocWagon contract - if he loses the SIN to which it is attatched, does he lose the contract?
ChicagosFinest
That would be a yes. But if he still wants a doc wagon service use the anarchy sevice. I think its called black cross. That way he will almost be garenteed "Affordable health coverage).
Cheops
I'd say don't go easy on him. Let the law get him and throw him in jail. The character will remember it more next time. Then if the player decides that he doesn't want to play from jail then let him make a new character. If he still wants to play in jail then play a jail game.

Lots of things you can do in there. Escape being one of the most obvious.
Butterblume
If you always make a new char after you (the char, that is biggrin.gif) have committed an act in front of a camera that someone somewhere doesn't like, you'll basically need a new one for every run...

Doesn't sound like fun.
Cheops
The problem is that he committed kidnapping, first degree murder, 3 counts of 2nd degree murder, and a host of other relatively minor offenses. He's going to jail and never coming out. Plus there is a bit of a PR thing for LS in that it has to at least put some effort forward in finding Jace so that the other security companies can see that LS is willing to help them out (and they in turn can be expected to help LS out).

Experienced players don't let themselves get caught on camera committing such amazingly criminal offenses unless their characters are sloppy. Anyone who leaves a trail of blood like this is never going to get work in the city it hapens except as a distraction or muscle. A lot of my players would relocate their characters to a different continent after something like this just to get away from the bad REPUTATION, let alone the police. Even then the story would eventually get out and would reflect on what they've done lately (well he seems to have left that all behind him and become a prime runner...).
kzt
QUOTE (MadDogMaddux)
Speaking of which, he has a DocWagon contract - if he loses the SIN to which it is attatched, does he lose the contract?

Let me get this straight: He has a tracking device broadcasting his location to DocWagon all the time attached to his wrist while he's carrying out a mass murder?
kzt
QUOTE (Butterblume @ Nov 3 2006, 01:23 PM)
If you always make a new char after you (the char, that is biggrin.gif) have committed an act in front of a camera that someone somewhere doesn't like, you'll basically need a new one for every run...

They have these things called "masks". You may have heard of them? They, get this, cover your face. Then the camera only records some guy wearing a mask, which isn't terribly useful in connecting the face of the person you couldn't see to the crime you could see.

Next episode we'll discuss "gloves".
kzt
QUOTE (Cheops)
The problem is that he committed kidnapping, first degree murder, 3 counts of 2nd degree murder, and a host of other relatively minor offenses. He's going to jail and never coming out. Plus there is a bit of a PR thing for LS in that it has to at least put some effort forward in finding Jace so that the other security companies can see that LS is willing to help them out (and they in turn can be expected to help LS out).

Hey, it's a dystopia. I can think of lots of people who might want to assist him in avoiding his just deserts. Cold blooded killers can be really useful As long as he is willing to do what they want him to do, and he doesn't mind the cranial bomb.
Butterblume
QUOTE (kzt)

They have these things called "masks". You may have heard of them? They, get this, cover your face. Then the camera only records some guy wearing a mask, which isn't terribly useful in connecting the face of the person you couldn't see to the crime you could see.

I've heard rumors, but I didn't know they actually developed some prototypes biggrin.gif.

I'm just wondering, where would you put on the mask, to be sure that you're not recorded putting on that mask? Or at the very least, that no one is able to backtrack visual recordings to a point before you are wearing a mask?

(I'm really curious, because I can't think of a way to reliable beat video surveillance every time)
ChicagosFinest
Aztechnology! Maybe turn his character into a cyber zombie for his next character to go up against. Play the aspect up of him loosing his humanity. His brother see's it and contacts the mage to figgure out what happened to Jace. Eventually the mage severs the link that keeps jace alive and Jace is set free.

just a suggestion cool.gif
Jaid
QUOTE (Butterblume)
QUOTE (kzt)

I've heard rumors, but I didn't know they actually developed some prototypes biggrin.gif.

I'm just wondering, where would you put on the mask, to be sure that you're not recorded putting on that mask? Or at the very least, that no one is able to backtrack visual recordings to a point before you are wearing a mask?

(I'm really curious, because I can't think of a way to reliable beat video surveillance every time)

public washrooms, camera blind spots (there's gonna be some... this would be a good example of where a security system knowledge might come in handy), the barrens (no cameras there), anywhere that has cameras you may have hacked, etc.

of course, if you're talking about prior to committing a crime, in public, that could change things.

a better way of doing things, imo, would have been something along the lines of hacking his commlink, subscribing him to a hot sim module, loading up some black IC, and killing him from the matrix (where the guard has few to no combat skills, likely isn't expecting an attack, and likely has relatively little security on his off-duty commlink... and where you can bring in a few friends in the form of agents for the cost of only one agent).

but then, i don't imagine most non-hacker/technomancer PCs would necessarily realise the fact that wireless assassination is an excellent way of killing people without being traced (on account of IDs are so easily spoofed/changed in the wireless matrix).

of course, that's just imo...
kzt
QUOTE (Butterblume)

We typically tried to avoid doing things that would lead to the police subpoenaing every camera record in a 3 county area. smile.gif

Given that car theft still seems to be a problem in SR it's obvious that it isn't a trivial issue to track down someone who steals a car using cameras. Hence it isn't that hard to avoid getting caught on camera.

We tended to do things like borrowing delivery vehicles from a florist parking lot after we have already tampered with their security system (and cameras). Then, afterward, having the van return under autopilot and bailing out enroute in an isolated area where we had cached the getaway vehicle.

We also used invisibility a lot in addition to ski masks or physical mask spells.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012