Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Atlzan Killing a dragon?!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
ChicagosFinest
OK I just read Runner havens part on Distrito Caracas.

ATZLAN SACRIFICED A DRAGON? Thats like WHOA! How big of a blood spirit would that create? And how are the dragons going to retaliate. More importantly who had the balls to write that I think it is awesome!
toturi
They executed a dragon. Not sacrificed one.
fistandantilus4.0
I don't have my book handy but I thought I saw the word "sacrifice" come up somewhere as well. Besides, even if they "executed" the dragon, I don't see the Azzies missing a chance for it to become a sacrifice. How do you pass up an oppurtunity like that?!
Cold-Dragon
I would think sacrificing a dragon would be very noticeable on the astral level or some other means, which means if other dragons or awakened beings noticed...hell might break loose.

Course, I could be wrong!
ChicagosFinest
OH I'm pretty sure when they killed him that hell was already opened. Reading the book they said that some major juju kept his sister out.
toturi
QUOTE (ChicagosFinest)
OH I'm pretty sure when they killed him that hell was already opened. Reading the book they said that some major juju kept his sister out.

And it takes a hell lot to keep an angry dracoform away. Maybe the Azzies learnt a lot from Ghostwalker's strike on Denver.
Fortune
QUOTE (ChicagosFinest)
And how are the dragons going to retaliate.

Why would any dragons (other than those prsonally involved) automatically retaliate? They don't necessarily care for each other any more than metahumans do.
mfb
it's a turf thing. they may not care for each other, but they've probably got little problem banding together against lower beings who pose a genuine threat.
Fortune
QUOTE (mfb)
it's a turf thing. they may not care for each other, but they've probably got little problem banding together against lower beings who pose a genuine threat.

Maybe, but I don't think it would be an automatic thing. I believe that it would depend on the specific dragon.

Of course, Great Dragons are a different kettle of fish. In that case I can dfinitely see it as being a turf thing.
fumble
The reason why dragons would automatically retaliate is just one of pure survival.
It sends the clear message that if you mess with a wyrm, you pay the price, and a heavy price it is.

It is the exact same reason why cop killers get harsher sentences : kill a cop, you'll have to pay a bigger price than you wish to - it's like a dissuasive weapon.

That way, dragons restrict the number of menaces they have to keep close track of.

Cheers.
mintcar
Aztlan has killed many dragons. They more or less drove the feathered serpents out of their lands, and they've been at war with Amazonia over the Yukatan for a long time (and Amazonia employs dragons in it's army). Dragons have every reason to hate azzies, or more precisely, Aztechnology. Yet a lot of dragons work directly for Aztechnology. They are even more complex creatures then humans, so they don't act predictably for the bennefit of their species (just like we certainly don't). They act out of greed and their own longterm plans.

It's also worth noting that a mega corporation is way more powerful then any single dragon - eccept the ones that own mega corporations themselves. Aztechnology has made a lot of very powerful enemies, but they are sure to have a lot of powerful allies too (including dragons who might want to see their kin perish for some reason…).
Grinder
Dragons were never know to get along with each other very well, so it's reasonable that they would help killing each other.
Ophis
Plus it has to be noted that the dragon in question was handed over by a Great Feathered serpent - Pobre, basically because his (the executee) hatred of the Azzie almost fucked up Pobre's plans.
ChicagosFinest
But dragons betraying other dragons? Thats going to rain down punishment somewhere in the future. It says some dragons have taken the execution personally (like ghostwalker).

IF ghostwalker has put back together the spirit of denver he could be building a pretty strong resitance to the powers that be behind Atzlan. Again, who could be the dragon (if there is one) behind Atzlan? That execution and powerful ward to keep out the other dragon had to be put up by a great or a powerful blood spirit, i dont see an inititory group beating spells by a dragon.

ChicagosFinest
QUOTE (Ophis)
Plus it has to be noted that the dragon in question was handed over by a Great Feathered serpent - Pobre, basically because his (the executee) hatred of the Azzie almost fucked up Pobre's plans.

wasnt he going toxic too? that might be one reason he was handed over
fistandantilus4.0
well, in 4th edition they could. After all, dragon's are capped too.

Theory on dragon behind Aztech, i believe is generally thought to be a corrupted feathered serpent. Pobre being toxic, sure, why not, make for a great new threat. instead of teh AAzzies fighting their neighbors down south, you get two big nasties starting to work together. Sounds like more work to me! hey , dragons pay well, right?
Demonseed Elite
Officially, Dzitbalchen was executed. Unofficially, there is little difference between an Aztlan execution and a sacrifice (source: Aztlan Sourcebook). Dzitbalchen was executed in a "public" ritual (like other high-profile Aztlan executions), though there was enough magic guarding the site to foil a rescue attempt from Dzitbalchen's sister.

If it was a blood sacrifice--and it would be hard for the Azzies to resist that--no one knows what was done with the magical power. Not yet, at least. Though there are some major things that happened in that region of the world following Dzitbalchen's execution.

Many of the great dragons don't really need an excuse to hate Aztlan; they already do. Ghostwalker was no friend of Aztlan before Dzitbalchen's execution and he certainly doesn't like them any more now. But Aztlan is a force to be reckoned with; Ghostwalker can't just fly in and start attacking the place. If Great Dragons were capable of destroying Aztlan, you can bet that the draconic leaders of Amazonia would have done that already.

Also, the internal dragon politics of the issue are important. Dzitbalchen was handed over to Aztlan by a dragon: Pobre. In addition, Dzitbalchen did work for Aztlan in the past, so he may not have the best reputation among dragonkind.

A previous poster was right in suggesting that this probably isn't the first dragon that Aztlan has killed (though they've never killed a Great, that I'm aware of). But this is the first dragon Aztlan has ever executed. In fact, it's the first dragon ever convicted and sentenced to execution by metahumanity. This in and of itself causes division between those dragons who feel they should be above metahuman laws and those who seek acceptance in metahuman society.

Oh, and there's a lot more detail on this in Shadows of Latin America, should that book ever see the light of day.
fistandantilus4.0
Unofficially, there is little difference between an Aztlan execution and a sacrifice (source: Aztlan Sourcebook
Thanks, that's what I thought I remembered, but wasn't sure of where to quote a source.

fact, it's the first dragon ever convicted and sentenced to execution by metahumanity. This in and of itself causes division between those dragons who feel they should be above metahuman laws

Sirrug comes to mind

Oh, and there's a lot more detail on this in Shadows of Latin America, should that book ever see the light of day.

*tear* *sob* *tear*
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (ChicagosFinest @ Nov 14 2006, 01:58 PM)
And how are the dragons going to retaliate.

Why would any dragons (other than those prsonally involved) automatically retaliate? They don't necessarily care for each other any more than metahumans do.

its just like any other group or "culture". sure they may have their internal problems. but when a external problem shows up, they stand shoulder to shoulder to get rid of it.

unless some idiot sell out the rest in hope of a internal rank increase when the external threat take care of the current top dog.

this works for the smallest street gang to the biggest nation...
fistandantilus4.0
and with dragon's, it happens very slowly...
Fortune
I disagree that it would be an automatic response. I think that dragons (especially Greats) would be able to take a longer view on things, and not often be taunted into taking reflexive action.
fistandantilus4.0
Like I said ... smile.gif

I'm thinking of the Theran war and the preludes to it. Bunch of dragon's taken down, they do nothing but withdraw a bit. Theran's keep pushing, and eventuall (how many years later) the dragons react, with well placed operatives/spies deep within Thera, and destroy an entire city.
mintcar
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
Like I said ... smile.gif

I'm thinking of the Theran war and the preludes to it. Bunch of dragon's taken down, they do nothing but withdraw a bit. Theran's keep pushing, and eventuall (how many years later) the dragons react, with well placed operatives/spies deep within Thera, and destroy an entire city.

Wonder what dragons deem a bigger threat; atlantean super-magic or the military might of mankind in the 6th world?
Fortune
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0 @ Nov 15 2006, 08:09 AM)
Like I said ...

But my point is that the longer view does not automatically still lead to retribution.

And I still qualify my statements, as I have all along, with the fact that we are not talking about a Great Dragon victim.

[edit] Besides, 'bunch of dragons' is not the same thing as one.

I'll admit that DE brings up a good point, in that it sets a precedent when metahumans can sit in judgement of dragons, but technically Dunkleberry voluntarily subjected himself to the laws of metahumanity in his bid for presidency, and Loffie does it every day in the operation of his Corporation. This latest event is just a single step in a chain.
fistandantilus4.0
But my point is that the longer view does not automatically still lead to retribution.

I agree with you there. In ED, there were , AFAIK, no plans to counter (except by Icewing and Aban) the Therans', until they kept pushing.

Remember that most of the dragon's thought Dunk a fool before and after he died. "We lost a clown.No more, no less. " wasn't it?

And hell, Lowfyr takes the "binding chains" and dances with them.

But the way things are going, I'm thinking there will be "increased hostilities" on the way. Aztlan already hates Ghostwalker, and he is one of the traditionalists, and the one that wanted to ahve it out with the Therans. Both for Yuichotal and Aardalea, and because they destroyed (one of)his lair(s).
Putting Pobre "on their side" jsut helps galvanize things IMO. Ghostwalker on one side, Amazonia on the other, and a "traitor" dragon in the middle.

They did kill Sonadar a while back BTW. Was he a "great"? I don't remember.
Grinder
QUOTE (Fortune)

Exactly.
Maybe GDs don't like the fact that a dragon was executed publically, but that doesn't mean they'll start a bloody war agsinst the Azzies - neither now nor in the future. It is possible that thedragon was shunned by his kind already. I don't think that dragons are different from name-givers in that point; they love, hate, care, don't care for another as much as metahumanity does.
Grinder
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)

*tear* *sob* *tear*

We know how you feel... frown.gif
fool
at least one gd is already at war with the azzies, Hupla via Amazonia.
fistandantilus4.0
And Sirrug. Everyone forgets Sirrug!
ChicagosFinest
Sirrug... how I would love.gif to see him beat some ass. I guess we will never figgure out who the mage was that held him off for those few seconds when he took out that plane. (unless it was Harley).
Fortune
QUOTE (ChicagosFinest @ Nov 15 2006, 09:33 AM)
I guess we will never figgure out who the mage was that held him off for those few seconds when he took out that plane. (unless it was Harley).

Wasn't Harley.

My bet would be an (unnamed and now departed) IE Downtime Hunter who was the actual target of Sirrurg's attack.
fistandantilus4.0
That's what I figured

"Ahh Big Green. Hunting the Hunter I see."

Had to be a bad ass to hold off Sirrug for 3 friggin' minutes!
Grinder
Downtime Hunter is be my guess too. 3 minutes are just 60 combat rounds. Come on, that's nothing for an IE!
wilcoxon
Okay. Apparently, I've missed a few things. I did not play SR3 (1&2 and now 4) and did not read many of the novels during the SR3 period. What is a downtime hunter?
Ancient History
Someone who hunts dragons during the pre-Awakening "down cycle," when they are hibernating (or something like that) due to the lack of mana. The idea first saw print in the old German Sourcebook, but the actual reference to the practice did not occur until the Aztlan sourcebook (you can search through the annotations for the reference). Additional speculation was shown in Loose Alliances with the hunter group behind the DIVE.
PlatonicPimp
QUOTE (ChicagosFinest)
Sirrug... how I would love.gif to see him beat some ass. I guess we will never figgure out who the mage was that held him off for those few seconds when he took out that plane. (unless it was Harley).

YOu know, as Unrealistic as it might seem to those of us with stats to crunch, I've always been happy with the Idea that it was just a standard, run of the mill mage who did it. Shadowrun can really use a bit of that "the common man can overcome" to it, when almost anyone cool ever turns out to be an IE. Maybe once, just this once, we can have a everyman hero.
Fortune
QUOTE (PlatonicPimp)
YOu know, as Unrealistic as it might seem to those of us with stats to crunch, I've always been happy with the Idea that it was just a standard, run of the mill mage who did it. Shadowrun can really use a bit of that "the common man can overcome" to it, when almost anyone cool ever turns out to be an IE. Maybe once, just this once, we can have a everyman hero.

Yeah, the 'common man can overcome' is a cool concept, but not in this specific case. For one, there had to be a good reason behind Sirrurg attacking that specific plane, and no other. Secondly, no 'common man' would have had the mojo at that time to hold off a rampaging Great Dragon for anything near 3 whole minutes.
toturi
Maybe the guy was burning Karma until Sirrurg got tired of it and did his Twist Fate.
mfb
QUOTE (Fortune)
Secondly, no 'common man' would have had the mojo at that time to hold off a rampaging Great Dragon for anything near 3 whole minutes.

eh, i dunno. planes aren't easy to destroy quickly, even for a GD. the mage just made it take a bit longer.
hyzmarca
It takes three seconds to destroy a plane. All you need is one success of your Wreck Fixed Wing Aircraft; or Powerbolt, if you prefer.

Well that, or just break a wing off. Punching holes in it isn't going to do much good, but a plane can't fly with one wing.
mfb
the TN to get either Wreck or Powerbolt off on an airliner is 17, minimum. if you count an airliner as a "highly processed object" (and i don't see why you wouldn't), the TN is 19. a little spell defense goes a long way, against those TNs.
NightmareX
QUOTE (ChicagosFinest)
Again, who could be the dragon (if there is one) behind Atzlan?

Unless something in Dragons of the Sixth World ruled it out, Ryumyo.
Jaid
QUOTE (NightmareX)
QUOTE (ChicagosFinest @ Nov 14 2006, 11:22 AM)
Again, who could be the dragon (if there is one) behind Atzlan?

Unless something in Dragons of the Sixth World ruled it out, Ryumyo.

say what? where'd you get that from? i must have missed something along the way...
Ryu
Two things will happen:
a) AzTech will use the magical power it likely gained by sacrificing the dragon

b) traditionalist dragons will be somewhat pissed due to a dragon falling under metahuman law. They will not necessarily retalliate (he who is weak will perish in dragon society anyway), but it will affect future dealings with AzTech. The first stone was cast long before.
NightmareX
QUOTE (Jaid)
say what? where'd you get that from? i must have missed something along the way...

It's just a theory I have really, based on a chain of influence. It goes kinda like this:

1) In the Aztlan sourcebook, a poster states he spotted a corrupted Eastern dragon entering an Aztech teocalii - which means nothing by itself, but note that the horror Verigorm's hobby is corrupting dragons.

2) In the novel House of the Sun, shamen from the terrorist group ALOHA are attempting Ghost Dance style magic on one of Havaii's volcanoes - which nearly lets in a horror incursion

3) In the sourcebook/adverture Paradise Lost, a feathered serpent called Neheka is noted as running ALOHA (or at least a significant portion thereof). Neheka is noted as being a vassel of Ryumyo.

It's circumstantial at best, and we'll probably never really find out whether of not it's the case (barring info in Dragons of the Sixth World, which I still haven't read frown.gif ).
ChicagosFinest
QUOTE (NightmareX)
QUOTE (Jaid @ Nov 15 2006, 08:35 AM)

It's just a theory I have really, based on a chain of influence. It goes kinda like this:

1) In the Aztlan sourcebook, a poster states he spotted a corrupted Eastern dragon entering an Aztech teocalii - which means nothing by itself, but note that the horror Verigorm's hobby is corrupting dragons.

2) In the novel House of the Sun, shamen from the terrorist group ALOHA are attempting Ghost Dance style magic on one of Havaii's volcanoes - which nearly lets in a horror incursion

3) In the sourcebook/adverture Paradise Lost, a feathered serpent called Neheka is noted as running ALOHA (or at least a significant portion thereof). Neheka is noted as being a vassel of Ryumyo.

It's circumstantial at best, and we'll probably never really find out whether of not it's the case (barring info in Dragons of the Sixth World, which I still haven't read frown.gif ).

When I get home Ill sum and post up what is says about him. Maybe we could put our heads together and figgure some stuff out.
NightmareX
QUOTE (ChicagosFinest)
When I get home Ill sum and post up what is says about him. Maybe we could put our heads together and figgure some stuff out.

Cool. cool.gif The dumb part is, I have the book, I just haven't gotten around to reading more than the first chapter. frown.gif
ChicagosFinest
LOL i read it but remebering it off hand I just can't do. I know he is in a battle with lung over the ring of fire and that both of them meet on ocasion with Bai (a chinese great dragon) to play majong.
Draconis
Well the Azzies where really pissed over that whole Denver thing... I guess they're sending a message. It's simply more fuel for the fire.

Now would dragonkind retaliate? One of the GDs definately will. Even the moderates will probably throw some shadow assets that way to discourage that sort of behavior.

I personally would set up some very public assassinations. Send a message right back at them.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Well that, or just break a wing off. Punching holes in it isn't going to do much good, but a plane can't fly with one wing.

Really? Someone should tell the pilot of this F-15.

(Of course, a commercial passenger plane doesn't have the thrust-to-weight ratio of an F-15, so it wouldn't be able to pull off this kind of stunt.)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012